Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Leaving Australia (again)

But it makes the Australian pension go a hell of a lot further, that's why a lot do it.
If you still want to live a Western style of life it is still expensive.

Whitegoods, sunscreen, good steaks, aussie branded beers, air conned apartments are still quite expensive in the major cities.

If you develop any major illnesses as many old folk do you'll still need to come back here for treatments.

If you develop any major illnesses as many old folk do you'll still need to come back here for treatments.
Oh yes , indeed ! That ought to be front of mind for anyone so fed up with the Land of Oz , that they're contemplating emigration.
It's a young person's game . Always was .
I've heard some real horror stories about Aussies ( ahem , once again.....dodgy ex-bikers from the club ) living ( and dying too , sometimes ) in the Philippines and elsewhere .
So , I don't complain about paying health insurance on top of thousands in Medicare levy every year . It's stay home and stay safe for this little black duck .

Oh yes , indeed ! That ought to be front of mind for anyone so fed up with the Land of Oz , that they're contemplating emigration.
It's a young person's game . Always was .
I've heard some real horror stories about Aussies ( ahem , once again.....dodgy ex-bikers from the club ) living ( and dying too , sometimes ) in the Philippines and elsewhere .
So , I don't complain about paying health insurance on top of thousands in Medicare levy every year . It's stay home and stay safe for this little black duck .
And all very well when you get your younger girlfriend but everyone knows why they want you there ---- and if you look like wavering or on the way out, you might get helped along the way.

And all very well when you get your younger girlfriend but everyone knows why they want you there ---- and if you look like wavering or on the way out, you might get helped along the way.
Kinda obvious hey....

Old, white, fat and hairy... With dubious tatts, long faded and devoid of any artistic merit... but with low six figures that haven't gone to coke, booze, and rapidly depreciating v8 s4itboxes.

Yet with with a young, attractive honeypot in tow.

It's transactional.... Fark that.

Farkin extremely happy with my classic model... Like an E-Type Jag, still an awesome looking machine.

Expensive to keep and prone to overheating...
Jeez going off topic but so much coming back to me, much of which may be allegorical.

I actually owned a series 2, 4.2 litre six cylinder, still kicking myself for ever selling that thing.

Interestingly the fastest and best E-Type was the series 1 3.8 litre.... Totally unencumbered by all the anti pollution b******* they were starting to put on engines in those days. My series 2 had the bigger engine but already had some of the pollution nonsense which made it just a touch slower.

But by the time the series 3 v12 5.3 came out, it was so choked up with crap, it was substantially slower than the old 3.8. Parallels with the supposed progress of society? Yes, supposedly progress made, but completely f***ed up by regulation.

FWIW my series 2 never overheated ever but you did have to remove the engine to replace the clutch plate... And the bell housing gasket was essentially a piece of rope :laugh:

Additionally, Those triple SU carbies were as tricky AF, but get them dialed in properly and it gave you a stirring in the loins like nothing on Earth :laugh:

Jeez going off topic but so much coming back to me, much of which may be allegorical.

I actually owned a series 2, 4.2 litre six cylinder, still kicking myself for ever selling that thing.

Interestingly the fastest and best E-Type was the series 1 3.8 litre.... Totally unencumbered by all the anti pollution b******* they were starting to put on engines in those days. My series 2 had the bigger engine but already had some of the pollution nonsense which made it just a touch slower.

But by the time the series 3 v12 5.3 came out, it was so choked up with crap, it was substantially slower than the old 3.8. Parallels with the supposed progress of society? Yes, supposedly progress made, but completely f***ed up by regulation.

FWIW my series 2 never overheated ever but you did have to remove the engine to replace the clutch plate... And the bell housing gasket was essentially a piece of rope :laugh:

Additionally, Those triple SU carbies were as tricky AF, but get them dialed in properly and it gave you a stirring in the loins like nothing on Earth :laugh:
Envious. Best I did was a Cooper S.

Envious. Best I did was a Cooper S.
Another classic, bet you wished you still owned it.

I had three Jags at that point in time one was an old s-type an absolutely wonderful machine. But also had a series one XJ with 5.7 liter Chev V8 conversion... Worked to the s***house.

That thing was wild and got me into a lot of trouble LMAO.

Expensive to keep and prone to overheating...
and the electrical malfunctions, everything was reverse electrical politary just to trick the average punter.

Another classic, bet you wished you still owned it.

I had three Jags at that point in time one was an old s-type an absolutely wonderful machine. But also had a series one XJ with 5.7 liter Chev V8 conversion... Worked to the s***house.

That thing was wild and got me into a lot of trouble LMAO.
The snapping head studs that went through the alloy blocks to the bottom end were a nightmare. I worked on one e-type, a few XJSes and sovereigns back in the day.

and the electrical malfunctions, everything was reverse electrical politary just to trick the average punter.

The snapping head studs that went through the alloy blocks to the bottom end were a nightmare. I worked on one e-type, a few XJSes and sovereigns back in the day.
Reminds me of a quote on Top Gear, the good thing about the classic Brit cars are the looks, the bad thing is everything else!

Good idea to put a simple yank engine in a Jag, if you don't care about the resale value.

Reminds me of a quote on Top Gear, the good thing about the classic Brit cars are the looks, the bad thing is everything else!

Good idea to put a simple yank engine in a Jag, if you don't care about the resale value.
I've worked on a lot of interesting British stuff over the years, we used to have a customer that had a TR7 with half of a Rover v8, they were a rover v8 chopped down the centre and turned into a 4 cylinder. My friend's father was a UK trained mechanic, I used to visit their shop to see all the DB6s and DB7s they used to get in for work. They had some, one of Aston Martins imported into Australia by wealthy clients back then.

Last edited:

I've got a 2003 Landrover Defender 90 TD5.

I love that thing, doubled in value in the few years I've had it. Would love to drop in an engine with an absolutely ludicrous amount of power, but yep would destroy the value.... probably along with most of the drive train :laugh:

if you look like wavering or on the way out, you might get helped along the way.
Yep , that's just what happened to one of the dudes who went off to start a new life in the Philippines . Although he'd had a colostomy bag fitted , he wasn't that ill that any of us knew of , but the witch had him cremated within hours ! ( True story ) In some parts of the world , life is cheap , alright ......." the dogs bark and the caravan moves on " .

Yes he lived with his partner for about 25 years, she had permanent residency here, but couldn't become a citizen, as she would lose her land in Thailand.
I was talking business with a Thai business owner last night and apparently she can have dual citizenship and own land over there as she has substantial holdings.

There is another strange policy the Australian government is allegedly running. If you are lgbtq you will get your temp visa (might have been permanent visa) in 3 months. If you are straight it takes 8-9 months.
I'm not sure of the validity of the above. But it seems to be happening as one of the thai lgbtq members was mentioning that it happened to them and there was some expediency quirk when dealing with certain members of the community?

I was talking business with a Thai business owner last night and apparently she can have dual citizenship and own land over there as she has substantial holdings.

There is another strange policy the Australian government is allegedly running. If you are lgbtq you will get your temp visa (might have been permanent visa) in 3 months. If you are straight it takes 8-9 months.
I'm not sure of the validity of the above. But it seems to be happening as one of the thai lgbtq members was mentioning that it happened to them and there was some expediency quirk when dealing with certain members of the community?
I was only going off what the mate said, I haven't actually looked into it. :xyxthumbs

Poor bloke

That's a hefty medical bill for the family to pick up.

Queensland dad dies in Bali
Queensland dad has tragically died after suffering a 'massive brain bleed' while in Bali.

Marcus Filleul was on holiday on the Indonesian island when he suffered a bleed in the brain. Doctors located a tumour last week.

The father-of-two, who was born in New Zealand but called Queensland home since 2013, received emergency surgery at BIMC Hospital in Kuta, in Bali's south.

Family and friends desperately tried to raise funds to allow Mr Filleul to be flown home and treated in Australia as he had no insurance and faced having to pay $10,000 per day for hospital care in Bali.

No travel insurance .
Not that unusual for slack Aussie tourists of course , but I'll bet nobody on earth would be game enough to tempt fate like that in the land of the free .
Jeebus , even a Facebook Go- Fund- Me page wouldn't save you from the yanks .

At least this unfortunate guy wasn't doing the usual Aussie's Bali caper........riding a m/c without a helmet .