Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Leaving Australia (again)

I always thought that one J Clarkson was a bit of a d***head, but this TV serial of him "farming" certainly shows how much bureaucracy Pommie farmers have to put up with.
The great value of it is that he's already well known outside of that. It's almost certainly reaching a much greater audience than a comparable program would reach with some random nobody hosting it.

The great value of it is that he's already well known outside of that. It's almost certainly reaching a much greater audience than a comparable program would reach with some random nobody hosting it.

Yes and it goes back to the point well made before that only "famous" people have any influence over government/bureaucracy.

Normal dudes can be easily dismissed because they don't generally have the power to bring their grievances into the public domain.

Yes and it goes back to the point well made before that only "famous" people have any influence over government/bureaucracy.

Normal dudes can be easily dismissed because they don't generally have the power to bring their grievances into the public domain.
I guess famous people do have a certain je ne sais quoi, charisma if you like. It sort of explains how they got famous.

So they are famous, but also great at putting a point across.

I guess famous people do have a certain je ne sais quoi, charisma if you like. It sort of explains how they got famous.

So they are famous, but also great at putting a point across.
Also the establishment likes sucking up to them so they get favourable treatment in the media.

Fair point.

I am investigating either Argentina or Uruguay. I do have some vestiges of the Español I learnt from school in SoCal... and afuera is my new favourite word :laugh:

Mrs not so keen however as she has zero connection with the Spanish language.
offer to employ a young spanish women to assist he around the house and doing the daily activities maybe?
The German connection in Argentina is also interesting @investor13 is we both do also have some rudimentary German.

Just don't mention that Malvinas?
it is i haven't relly looked past the late 1800s as to why they ere there but, ive always put it down to the Germans are mostly explorers and interdependent but mostly we are weird people with weird thought processes

the Malvins shouldnt effect us due to not being british?

the Malvins shouldnt effect us due to not being british?

After the Falklands war in 1987 I crossed the border from Bolivia into Argentina with a couple of English guys, my Australian passport was stamped without any attempted shake down of a bribe, donation, seach, told I had the wrong stamp, signature or any other dozens of issues they just stamped and that was it. Pleasantly surprised I stepped aside for the poms.

The English guys stepped up handed over their passports and the border guards eyes popped literally out of their sockets, guided around the back they had their cameras carefully checked and serial numbers recorded (no one had any idea why) lots of officious standing around mumbling and finally passports stamped and we headed off into Argentina the English guys laughing.

If this Yank in the vid had a yarn to my bikie mate , he'd be a fair bit less enamoured with the " Land of Smiles "
Even though he's been married to a local for decades , speaks enough of the lingo to get by ,unless he's got the princess right by his side " they " will always try to rip him off . Outsiders like him will never be accepted as one of them.
( That's the price to pay for this Aussie who lived outside the law for most of his life . )

Buy an estancia in Uruguay. But, they saddle up their horses a bit strange there.

Know a couple that did this. Enabled them to retire at 33. I mean don't get me wrong, they've had to move to thailand to do it, but still...
@over9k I guess everyone to their own, whatever that be.
I have a good friend who now resides in Bali.
Owns a couple of apartments there, but not in his name, but his Balinese wife's name.

I had a mate who passed away up there last year, from what he told me it sounded like you could own a condo as long as locals owned more than 50% of the condos in the complex.
You could own a house if you set up a business and bought it through the business.
To own a house privately I'm pretty sure he said you had to be a Thai, he bought his through his partner.

I had a mate who passed away up there last year, from what he told me it sounded like you could own a condo as long as locals owned more than 50% of the condos in the complex.
You could own a house if you set up a business and bought it through the business.
To own a house privately I'm pretty sure he said you had to be a Thai, he bought his through his partner.
Out of curiosity (no intentions of moving to Thailand) I have been watching a few vids regarding this. Seems spot on. Curiously with a normal house, you can own the actual building, but not the land, not unlike leasehold in the UK.

It is interesting so many other countries make it very difficult for foreigners to own land.

Out of curiosity (no intentions of moving to Thailand) I have been watching a few vids regarding this. Seems spot on. Curiously with a normal house, you can own the actual building, but not the land, not unlike leasehold in the UK.

It is interesting so many other countries make it very difficult for foreigners to own land.
@wayneL Not here though Wayne. Open slather whether it be a unit, house, farmland or station.

If this Yank in the vid had a yarn to my bikie mate , he'd be a fair bit less enamoured with the " Land of Smiles "
Even though he's been married to a local for decades , speaks enough of the lingo to get by ,unless he's got the princess right by his side " they " will always try to rip him off . Outsiders like him will never be accepted as one of them.
( That's the price to pay for this Aussie who lived outside the law for most of his life . )
Happens to the Thais in Australia. I look after a group of them in Australia with one of my business interests. They are ripped off by everyone while here and I'm constantly having to go round and collect refunds. It's literally weekly.

Yes he lived with his partner for about 25 years, she had permanent residency here, but couldn't become a citizen, as she would lose her land in Thailand.
He built on the land and could have owned the house through a business, but he never bothered just put it in her name.
Another mate has about 20 condos up there, but renting them out is a nightmare apparently, his Thai partner looks after them.

I think its 30 year less and the government can then take your house if you don't take it off their land?

Great way of getting houses built for free.
I've known people who lived there before the internet came along. Most of them hook up with a farmer's daughter and just buy a cheap shack in the villages to keep their families happy and live there for a few months or years at a time. Most people just do a trip over the border and get their passport stamped and live there for years.

It's the wrong mindset to go over to a poorer country and take advantage of people, because sooner or later you'll attract the wrong type of people and bad things will happen.

I've known people who lived there before the internet came along. Most of them hook up with a farmer's daughter and just buy a cheap shack in the villages to keep their families happy and live there for a few months or years at a time. Most people just do a trip over the border and get their passport stamped and live there for years.

It's the wrong mindset to go over to a poorer country and take advantage of people, because sooner or later you'll attract the wrong type of people and bad things will happen.
But it makes the Australian pension go a hell of a lot further, that's why a lot do it.