Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Leaving Australia (again)

As funny as it sounds, that may be what does happen, because the way things are going, Australia seems to be on a slippery slope.
Until the media starts asking the Government to explain the details of how we are going to balance increased energy demand with load growth,emission reduction targets and loss of generation, companies are going to avoid Australia like the plague IMO.
Meanwhile we keep loading up with more people, there is a very good chance of a huge implosion IMO.:xyxthumbs

Well spotted wayne.

Given the "life is cheap" situation in a lot of Asian countries I don't think many pampered boomers will be willing to give up their hard earned benefits for an "alien" lifestyle.
The article suggests South East Asia.... and I agree with your point on that score.

We certainly are not looking there at all.

We are certainly not willing to indulge in the hypocrisy of bitching about incongruous cultures coming to Western countries, but then we move in into their cultures. That would quite rightly earn the scorn of the native cultures, perhaps even to the point of it being impossible to stay. They have not been gaslit into being as tolerant as us.

Look forward.

Action -> reaction - Newton's 3rd law of motion in a social construct.

But.... Can we see the establishment increasingly pushing our boomers in that direction?

I've got a good friend who lived there who worked in aerospace. His Mrs lasted 3 years before coming back to the West.

Not so sure my Mrs would tolerate being there either.
They've actually relaxed a lot of their laws against Western culture in the last few years, but they're known to harbour tons of criminals fleeing govt prosecution from other countries.

"Aussies over 67 are being urged to rent out their homes and retire overseas in a radical housing proposition floated by property sector market researchers."

The way this Govt is acting with rental reforms there won't be any rentals left in this country besides public housing.

I've got a good friend who lived there who worked in aerospace. His Mrs lasted 3 years before coming back to the West.

Not so sure my Mrs would tolerate being there either.
its not the most say female friendly of places. when you see males openly belting their wife in public and its the normal as its accepted in the culture its rather difficult to take

If anything the last 5 years has shown us anything is that things can change very quickly in any country, including in our Western countries. Who would have predicted the absolute totalitarianism over what was ostensibly a cold?

Here we are with the establishment softening us up over another lockdown over bird flu, and what looks like the beginning of World war 3.

What nobody should want, and particularly in the vulnerable golden years is to be in an out group in a foreign country, with vastly different social and political values and perhaps a building animosity.

No siree, not this little black duck. Include me out!

If anything the last 5 years has shown us anything is that things can change very quickly in any country, including in our Western countries. Who would have predicted the absolute totalitarianism over what was ostensibly a cold?

Here we are with the establishment softening us up over another lockdown over bird flu, and what looks like the beginning of World war 3.

What nobody should want, and particularly in the vulnerable golden years is to be in an out group in a foreign country, with vastly different social and political values and perhaps a building animosity.

No siree, not this little black duck. Include me out!
Is vaccination policy the only thing that concerns you?

Is vaccination policy the only thing that concerns you?
LOL.

I don't know how you extracted the view that it is the *only* consideration.

However, yes it is an important consideration, and *part of the reason I want to get the f*** out of here.

Firstly, to belabour the point I have made so often here, I am not anti-vaccination whatsoever. I recently had a tetanus booster and have been happy to have the various inoculations in my childhood and for travel, TB, Polio, Cholera and whatnot. All of these, while not completely 100% safe, do offer an attractive risk/reward proposition.

That is, a very small risk of vaccine injury versus a much greater risk from the disease itself, if contracted. These vaccines offer an almost 100% protection from said diseases.

At the time of the release of the covid shots (which have not proven to be vaccinations at all), there was no such assurance. Indeed there were no data regarding the risk versus reward.

Vaccine hesitants have proven to be correct in their reticence, vis a vis the totalitarianism surrounding vaccine mandates was absolutely and totally unwarranted, in fact responsible for greater harm than the virus itself.

One could be forgiven for suspecting and altogether different agenda rather than public health.

Africa is a classic example and you should educate yourself regarding the statistics there.

So while not the only consideration it is a very important one for sure.

Ever look at Saudi Arabia?
Might be a plum job to the rich there.
Many years ago I worked a couple who were employed by the Saudi Royal Family (of whom there are a country's worth) to grow wheat on the desert sands there.
This he did and lowered the artesian water table considerably in doing so.
It was all in aid of snubbing the USA President of the day that they didn't need imported wheat.
In the process of about five years of living there he came back to sunny WA a very wealthy man.

making a 90 yr old just pack up isnt as easy as a 21 yr old living at home, pack and leave for an adventure adventure overseas.

how about we stop reckless migragion and end air bnb.

how do we still have a skills shortage when they have been claiming this as an excuse for large migation for the past 20 years and still we have some large shortage. this only goes to show the incompetence of the hacks at the immigration department

making a 90 yr old just pack up isnt as easy as a 21 yr old living at home, pack and leave for an adventure adventure overseas.

how about we stop reckless migragion and end air bnb.

how do we still have a skills shortage when they have been claiming this as an excuse for large migation for the past 20 years and still we have some large shortage. this only goes to show the incompetence of the hacks at the immigration department
It also shows the abandonment of TAFE and the degradation of universities by all governments.

It also shows the abandonment of TAFE and the degradation of universities by all governments.
that also, but a lot has to do with large companies and the Fairwork act that Gillard wrote back in the Rudd days

i work in Mining Mairtaence amd have done for nearly 20 years. at the end of the so called mining boom 2014/15, the fairwork act kicked in and allowd companies to use casual labor hire companies to screw wages down & go away from the traditional enterprise agreements that required the mines to put on x number apprentices a year. for the past decade mining companies have put on little to no apprentices and the ones they have were only to tick boxes based on gender or colour instead of best candidate. most apprentices that were put on rarly finish nowdays.

*the indigenous ones i agree with as its a total different issue

that also, but a lot has to do with large companies and the Fairwork act that Gillard wrote back in the Rudd days

i work in Mining Mairtaence amd have done for nearly 20 years. at the end of the so called mining boom 2014/15, the fairwork act kicked in and allowd companies to use casual labor hire companies to screw wages down & go away from the traditional enterprise agreements that required the mines to put on x number apprentices a year. for the past decade mining companies have put on little to no apprentices and the ones they have were only to tick boxes based on gender or colour instead of best candidate. most apprentices that were put on rarly finish nowdays.

*the indigenous ones i agree with as its a total different issue
I'd include nepotism to that list, about 5 people out of about 40 pull their own weight and the weight of others.

Labor has been for public servants and large business they can unionise. Everyone else gets screwed. It's why the majority of tradies hate them. They screwed them over with multiple layers of public servants leeching off the industry.

They screwed them over with multiple layers of public servants leeching off the industry.
Having seen both sides of the public service / private sector divide, my observation is it's not the run of the mill public servants that are the problem indeed there are some genuinely proficient, knowledgeable people among them.

The actual problem is sycophantic management going along with political nonsense rather than having the guts to manage upwards.

It's the politicians who spew nonsense - some of them are way out of their depth on even the simplest matters. It's the equivalent of someone who couldn't identify a wall from a roof being put in charge of building houses, it's guaranteed to miserably fail unless someone below stands firm on what needs to be done.

Just my first hand observation. :2twocents

Having seen both sides of the public service / private sector divide, my observation is it's not the run of the mill public servants that are the problem indeed there are some genuinely proficient, knowledgeable people among them.

The actual problem is sycophantic management going along with political nonsense rather than having the guts to manage upwards.

It's the politicians who spew nonsense - some of them are way out of their depth on even the simplest matters. It's the equivalent of someone who couldn't identify a wall from a roof being put in charge of building houses, it's guaranteed to miserably fail unless someone below stands firm on what needs to be done.

Just my first hand observation. :2twocents
Absolutely correct.
Unfortunately at the end of the day, the minister has the final say, he/she signs the cheque.
Then when it turns to manure they look for someone to chuck under the bus, politician 101.
The way the electrical system is going, they will need more buses. Lol
I had to make an executive decision in the field once, which over rode the manager, it wasn't that difficult to do because it was me that would have been under the bus. Lol

Last edited: