Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

WDS - Woodside Energy Group

I topped up my holding today at $35, taking the long term view on this stock, dividend yeild is starting to make it attractive as well.

IMO wont take much to push oil up above $60 in the not too distant future, remember this time last year many were predicting Oil at over $100 :eek: .

kennas said:
Agree, and yes, perhaps a shorting opportunity. Target on that is around $30 ish.

As always though, markets are a fickle thing. Hugo's decision might have more repercussions, or there might be a disruption in the Mid East tonight....Also, it breached $36.00 in Nov only to spring back, allbeit temporarily....
Yesterday's close of well below the $35.66 (ish) support level has been backed up today, with WPL down over 1%.

(Sorry, I just realised that my share prices could be different from what other people may see on their charts - because I'm looking at the WPL chart from CMC's MM program, which can have different data.)

Well, I've just gone short some WPL CFDs because of this clear break of support. Also, the crude oil price is looking technically weak - now at $53.15.

I think we have seen the bottom for Woodside.

There has been strong support at above $35.

The RSI indicator is moving up on the chart. I think we see some strong buying support for this share soon as the intos move out of industrials with high PEs and into resources with very low PEs.

I think oil will start to move again as well.

It will re-test its highs of $49 in the not to distant future IMO.

I'll grant you it's worked hard at hammering out a bottom but it hasn't confirmed the upside yet so it's very much in the balance imo.

Needs a solid push through 3780-ish sooner rather than later and to hold it at the close to gain a bit of momentum. Inability to do so will send all the wrong signals.
So far its reluctance to respond to rising oil is a bit like dragging a dog around the block. If it doesn't want to go for 'walkies' it's no fun for anyone.

ice

ice said:
I'll grant you it's worked hard at hammering out a bottom but it hasn't confirmed the upside yet so it's very much in the balance imo.

Needs a solid push through 3780-ish sooner rather than later and to hold it at the close to gain a bit of momentum. Inability to do so will send all the wrong signals.
So far its reluctance to respond to rising oil is a bit like dragging a dog around the block. If it doesn't want to go for 'walkies' it's no fun for anyone.

ice
WPL's chart still looks rather depressing and uninspiring. Going on a 9 month downtrend and this may have even seen a top for this run due to the lack of volume. Compare this to the OSH and AED charts which look incredibly bullish right now.

Comparing WPL & OSH theres not much difference, percentage gain wise. OSH attracting takeover premium perhaps?. Is the issue of WPL being taken over dead & buried. If QAN can get the green light is anything & everything fair game for the equity funds or major oilers?.

Attachments

• osh.gif
    osh.gif
    7.4 KB · Views: 259
Starting to move.

I think that it has bottomed, and will again re-test old highs.

Up 62c so far.

Should push into the $40s soon

I just went long at $37.82, 2000 shares....could have jumped out for a day trade on that rise but I am thinking on a 2 week outlook.....all is looking good for this one me thinks....

oil up, cold snap in the US, more bombs in Iraq.....it's all adding up...

pacer said:
I just went long at $37.82, 2000 shares....could have jumped out for a day trade on that rise but I am thinking on a 2 week outlook.....all is looking good for this one me thinks....

oil up, cold snap in the US, more bombs in Iraq.....it's all adding up...

Pacer,

i agree the externals look great!

I put i cfd contract on it today but i just could not bring myself to hold it,

call me dumb and whatever else people, but i just don't think i can have a really bullish opinion of wpl till it shows it can hold above $40 the last resistance level. ( my trend line)

but in other tid bits market depth is heavily in the buyers favor!

I am watching.............

I believe I see WPL clearly now. This picture has taken 6 months to evolve and will resolve soon (2 - 6 weeks).

I'd be very circumspect to call this a short .... given its reaction of my blue line. At the same time this is not a buy.

For the next little while this stock will continue to wedge.

Ultimatley I believe this will resolve itself in favour of the BULL's .... interestingly I do have a long position is OSH as this does seem to be in advance of WPL at this point in time.

Attachments

• WPL - 20070216.gif
    WPL - 20070216.gif
    64.5 KB · Views: 153
Did anyone find it absolutely offensive and repulsive that the Woodside CEO did all his interviews today in front of didgeridoos?

Where were the reporters? (just kidding)

Woodside have the most pro-aboriginal policies of any Australian public company. There are many councils and states providing lip service but Woodside is doing its upmost to encourage the local aboriginals to get management positions in the company as well as aiding their education and deliberately creating jobs.

I have no problem with the aboriginals showing their support.

(OK indigenous peoples who we should thank at every public gathering, I so dislike lip service.)

Knobby22 said:
Where were the reporters? (just kidding)

Woodside have the most pro-aboriginal policies of any Australian public company. There are many councils and states providing lip service but Woodside is doing its upmost to encourage the local aboriginals to get management positions in the company as well as aiding their education and deliberately creating jobs.

I have no problem with the aboriginals showing their support.

(OK indigenous peoples who we should thank at every public gathering, I so dislike lip service.)
You are kidding me right? 'Cos I'm laughing about that! You do realise there have been protests in Freo each week about Woodside's illegal actions don't you?

http://mc2.vicnet.net.au/home/dampier/web/vandal.html

Hey i went to school with a few aboriginals who were heavily supported by woodside. A couple of them now work for the company. Good on woodside, its more then most other companies do.

billhill said:
Hey i went to school with a few aboriginals who were heavily supported by woodside. A couple of them now work for the company. Good on woodside, its more then most other companies do.
Most companies don't destroy ancient art work either.

Price and Volume action Thursday and Friday last week is significant.

WPL will see 4000 before 3650 again.

Attachments

• WPL - 20070223.gif
    WPL - 20070223.gif
    66.2 KB · Views: 91
Dutchy3 said:
Price and Volume action Thursday and Friday last week is significant.

WPL will see 4000 before 3650 again.

Hi Dutchy

By the way, in most of the price reviews I have seen you have a look at, most of the time you are right on the mark...... Credit where credits due....

I am with you here..... I am very tempted to open a position here..... Oil is due for a recovery, financials for WPL were good (although interesting reserve quote!) and the price action is starting to look like that down trending action for the last 10 months may be coming to an end....

Keep watching this one...

Cheers