Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

WDS - Woodside Energy Group

kennas
Short term the verdict is "guilty".
WPL has no immediate features that can redeem it.
We are a long way off the northern winter, so US consumption will not kick in for a few months at best.
My personal view is that CFDs are for full timers with a good idea of risk/reward and a fast trigger finger if stops are not part of your trading regime.
I fully expect oil to fall below $55 and possibly near the $50 mark before heading north again.
OPEC will ensure they take off the table enough oil in the medium term to get prices up around $60 again, which is what oil companies need now to match production with exploration success.

pacer
Watch carefully the overnight price of crude.
If it heads up, your mate should sell.
If it heads down, your mate should sell.
Can I be any clearer?
I suggest your mate not re-enter WPL until oil has zipped past $65 again, and that will not be any time soon.
For your info, I hold 1500 WPL shares, so I have a vested interest in the share price going up.
My advice to your mate is based on self preservation.

pacer said:
Well I was right again!....and again......

Graph looks a little sick, but with a little up trend starting...lets see how we go......

And Nizar........stop hiding in the bushes......lol

Hi Pacer,

My observation was based on the fact that it had bounced off $40 several times in the past.

I didnt know the direction of the oil price at the time of my post, sorry.

If u took my post as advice and acted on it - well then u need to learn the game, son.

I dont hold this stock and never have - i have no interest in whether it goes up or down.

Thanks for your timely replies....truley awesome....sorry nizar but the gut feeling and the graph was my punt on the last, POSTS...GOD i FEEL BAD BAGGIG MY MATES HERE,,,don't realy mean to be a DORK!..........posts are ADHD blurbs realy , to keep me entertained....

Will call my matE and get him to log on to help him get that new lounge SUITE for the missus....MAYBE HE WILL EVEN OWN UP AND GIVE YOU THE FULL HISTORY TO HELP OTHERS THAT HAVE KILLED IT BY GAMBLING!!!!!!!!!

at what price would woodside be a buy....

$37?

i would be looking at aquiring 150 units.

Ken said:
at what price would woodside be a buy....

$37?

i would be looking at aquiring 150 units.

Ken, depends how things shape up over the coming weeks. There's a number of scenarios that could pan out.

I'd be waiting to see if it heads back to $36 and be sure that it doesn't go through it, which would spell trouble. On the other hand if POI goes up and WPL heads up through $40.00, then retests $40 and goes higher, then perhaps $36 was the bottom....It's been on a downward trajectory since mid April and until it goes sideways for a while, develops a solid base, or breaks through about $42, then I would be staying on the sidelines.

Mate baled out today...thanks all....has enuf left to buy a couch but want's to carry on...:banghead:.....well I did warn him it is a tough game to play!

Never play the oil stocks....NEO learnt me a lesson....lo l:2twocents

Last July i met some surveyors out back of Tanami desert. They told me they were surveying for a wider a bigger road so WPL can access enough oil to supply the world for two years!

kennas said:
Ken, depends how things shape up over the coming weeks. There's a number of scenarios that could pan out.

I'd be waiting to see if it heads back to $36 and be sure that it doesn't go through it, which would spell trouble. On the other hand if POI goes up and WPL heads up through $40.00, then retests $40 and goes higher, then perhaps $36 was the bottom....It's been on a downward trajectory since mid April and until it goes sideways for a while, develops a solid base, or breaks through about $42, then I would be staying on the sidelines.

Well how things change, WPL is back down almost to $36, petrol is just over a dollar (in Townsville) & we consider that cheap :eek: . They've had some well publicised setbacks (temporary), so is woodside a good buy???
I remember last time it headed north from $35 to $40 & kicked myself because I'd been about to buy. Will I hesitate too long this time? (probably)

Out Too Soon said:
Well how things change, WPL is back down almost to $36, petrol is just over a dollar (in Townsville) & we consider that cheap :eek: . They've had some well publicised setbacks (temporary), so is woodside a good buy???
I remember last time it headed north from $35 to $40 & kicked myself because I'd been about to buy. Will I hesitate too long this time? (probably)
Well, in regard to the discussion we were having OTS, things didn't really change. WPL has gone the direction it was heading back then. Down. It made a couple of attempts to get back over $38.00 but the negative sentiment towards it has pushed it lower with justification after the news yesterday. Now, if it really breaks $36.00, well, :eek: :eek: it's looking disasterous. I wouldn't be holding it until I saw it bounce off this level and was heading back to $40.00. Then, there is a mountain of resistance there. Really needs a masive change in fortunes short term to be re rated. Perhaps rumours of BHP taking it over now will work? Or maybe BPT can take it over? he he.

Attachments

• WPL.gif
    WPL.gif
    29.2 KB · Views: 104
Another view from Criterian out of the Australian:

Slippery choice
CRITERION
Tim Boreham
November 17, 2006

Woodside Petroleum (WPL) $36.28

AN (almost) sure-fire investment tactic is to pick up a proven blue-chip performer when sentiment towards the stock has dipped temporarily. The tricky part is working out the "temporary" bit, but we're game to suggest there's now a rare opportunity to pick up Woodside, our premier oil and gas producer, during such a crisis of confidence.

Woodside has retreated from its record high of $49.80 in mid-April and from above $40 over the past month - the result of the easing oil price, production hiccups and cost blowouts.

At yesterday's investor love-in in Sydney, management broke the news that calendar 2006 production would be 67-68 million barrels of oil equivalent (mboe), around 6 per cent down from the (already revised) 72mboe indicated back in July.

Culprits are "technical issues" which will delay production from the Victorian Otway gas joint venture for nine months, a shutdown at Enfield off Western Australia and disappointing production from the Chinguetti well off Mauritania.

That's all bad news, but not entirely out of the blue in that Woodside earlier flagged it would struggle to match full-year forecasts, despite record September-quarter production of 19.1mboe. Woodside chief Don Voelte yesterday assured investors that 2007 output would bounce back to 75-80mboe "with 2008 better than 2007".

In the longer term, Woodside's array of growth projects - such as its $6-10 billion Pluto LNG project - promise strong future revenues. Woodside expects to be a 100mboe producer by 2010, about 70 per cent of which is from existing or committed production. In 2011, output is targeted at 140mboe, but half is speculative in that it's from production opportunities or "risked exploration".

At around $US58 a barrel, the world oil price is well off the record $US78.40 reached in July. Our safest prediction on oil prices is they'll remain unpredictable but Fat Prophets' more definitive view is there's looming supply pressures which will push the price up again.

On the fund manager's reckoning, American influence in the Middle East has been emasculated by the Democrats storming Capitol Hill. Even if the US doesn't pull out of Iraq, there are knock-on effects such as opponents of Saudi Arabia's US-backed royal family becoming more emboldened.

We don't think investors should be overwhelmed by their short-term (albeit legitimate) concerns about Woodside. In Voelte's words: "We should have done things better (in 2006) though we did - and still do - many things really well." BUY.

Knobby22 said:
Well if it gets to $32, I will buy with my ears pinned back.
I'll be looking at it too knobby, but only when I see a bounce. There might be a very good opportunity to pick this up soon. If you were a very long term investor, then even now looks enticing I suppose.

The $35 mark looks interesting for me, if it gets there and keeps falling then around $30..

Ouch, this must be killing long term holders, of whom there would be many out there. This has been a staple of the 'blue chip' resource companies for quite a while. Breaking $36.00 now. If it closes below it's in deap do do IMO. As I've said before though, this could be ripe for a big player to pick up (or even a small one now). Instos must be wondering whether to top up on this now. Must be getting into oversold territory soon.

Attachments

• WPL.gif
    WPL.gif
    21.1 KB · Views: 90
Well, probably foolish but I was impatient & bought in & $36.50 after perusing Criterion etc. If it gets down to $32 though Ã'll put everything on it, shirt off my back etc. Oh! not wearing shirt, in sunny Townsville. :D

bhp take over WPL, takeover STO, takeover RIO tinto, take over, ZFX, and take over Cooper Energy aswell....

bHP super combo stock...

Out Too Soon said:
Well, probably foolish but I was impatient & bought in & $36.50 after perusing Criterion etc. If it gets down to $32 though Ã'll put everything on it, shirt off my back etc. Oh! not wearing shirt, in sunny Townsville. :D

That should have read $35.60 not $36.50, so it's not a blunder just yet. Jsut a porbelm wtih dyslexai. :rolleyes: