Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

WDS - Woodside Energy Group

As far as I know the world financial press @mullokintyre and @qldfrog does not see a Middle East war as being significant for the POO due to US and Saudi supply overhangs.

It may move about I'd say, but it won't stay over 70-80c for long. then again who knows!

gg

S&P/ASX200 Energy Index worst performer for the week.
Market Matters citing Bloomberg

Held

Screenshot_20241011_180626_Chrome.jpg

I have held WDS on three occasions over the years.

The divie had been good but the capital attrition damaging. I will never ever hold it again.

Energy stocks that fail to move with sentiment on energy are dogs imo.

gg

I have held WDS on three occasions over the years.

The divie had been good but the capital attrition damaging. I will never ever hold it again.

Energy stocks that fail to move with sentiment on energy are dogs imo.

gg
while i am in front on WDS ( having stuck with them for several years )

BPT has been the better conveyance even if i had to hold my nose and buy in the downtrend

i guess time will tell , but have concerns about their persistent need to grow much larger after the BHP deal

Being a cynic, I would suggest that the Israelis are using the threat of using the Iranian oil fields as target practice as a bargaining chip to a squeeze more out of the US is terms of money, weapons, guaranteed support in the UN etc etc.
But the question is, would the US benefit or suffer from $200 oil?
being largely self sufficient it may not be such a bad thing from a price perspective.
It would cause some of its less than friendly competitors some anguish (ie. China) with the high cost of energy.
But then on the other hand, it would cause some of its allies to suffer greatlly (Europe, OZ etc).
It might also hasten the move away from fossil fuels.
Lots of balancing to be done.
Mick
Iranian Oil is already heavily sanctioned by the USA, they by pass the sanctions a bit by selling some oil to china, Which the USA is trying to reduce.

Analysts say that if the sanctions were able to take 100% of Iranian oil of the market the Oil price would rise by about $8.40, so its not going to make oil hit $200 any time soon.

Iranian oil Sanctions

@mullokintyre to put Iran's oil exports in perspective, until last year Australia was exporting more oil than Iran was. Australia was the 17th largest oil exporter but Iran wasn't even in the top 25. They have been exporting more in 2023 and 2024 so have edged ahead of us. But they are still quite small players, with limited markets due to sanctions.

Iran has lots of Oil, its mostly under developed though.

Wow, no wonder Greg Canavan sees this as a long term investment whatever the shorter term share price gyrations. Check out the big numbers on employment, taxes and LNG tonnage. Also the supply of domestic gas to W.A. The governments, state and federal, are going to protect this project wouldn't you think? Yuck, WDS has not only a female CEO but also a female COO, but phenomena like this won't hinder the constant propagandizing for female empowerment.

Held

Woodside charging ahead at Australian gas mega-project, trunkline installation is completed​

First LNG cargo from Scarborough is expected in 2026
Saipem utilised its pipelaying vessel Castorone (pictured) for Woodside Energy's Scarborough project offshore Australia.
Saipem utilised its pipelaying vessel Castorone (pictured) for Woodside Energy's Scarborough project offshore Australia.Photo: Saipem
Asia Bureau Chief Singapore
Published 11 October 2024, 14:14

Woodside Energy has completed installation of the offshore trunkline for its US$12 billion-plus Scarborough mega-gas project in Australia, which is targeting its first liquefied natural gas cargo in 2026.
When operational, the 433-kilometre trunkline will transport gas from the offshore Scarborough field to the onshore Pluto LNG processing facility in Karratha, Western Australia.
The installation of the trunkline took around 12 months to complete with numerous teams and contractors including Italy’s Saipem contributing to the successful work programme. Woodside chief operating officer Australia, Liz Westcott, said the trunkline was a critical piece of infrastructure for the Scarborough project.
“With the last components of the trunkline in place, the focus will be maintained on safely executing the remaining project scopes to support the targeted first Scarborough LNG cargo in 2026,” said Westcott.
In addition to a nameplate capacity of 8 million tonnes per annum of LNG, the Scarborough project will supply up to 225 terajoules a day of domestic gas supply into the Western Australian market.

Woodside chief executive, Meg O’Neill, in September told Upstream that the Scarborough project “is charging ahead”.
“We're more than two thirds complete. [At the] Pluto train two site. We've got 40 of the 51 modules at site [and all the modules will be at site by year end. The offshore floating production unit’s construction is progressing well; and we'll be back to drilling within the next month or so. So, everything is charging ahead,” said O’Neill.
“We have one regulatory authorisation that's required to start operations, and we're working that through with our regulator.”
Woodside noted the world-class project is expected to generate more than A$50 billion (US$33.7 billion) in direct and indirect taxes for Australia’s economy, more than 3000 jobs during the construction phase and create or sustain almost 600 jobs on average during operations.

Oil down 4% at the moment. Not going to be good for stocks like WDS and STO tomorrow. If there's a surplus of oil I don't understand why oil producers are flooding the market with their product, making things worse.

If there's a surplus of oil I don't understand why oil producers are flooding the market with their product, making things worse.
It's all relative.

By historic standards, expressed in USD and adjusted for inflation, oil at present levels is still incredibly expensive, indeed it's slightly higher than the price during the 1973-74 oil embargo and around 2.5 times the pre-OPEC norm. Also it's roughly double the 1986 - 2003 typical albeit volatile price.

So it's all relative. The price is low only in the context of it having been high.

Woodside will delist from the London Stock Exchange (LSE) from November 19 due to low trading volumes, allowing the company to reduce administration costs.

Output in the September quarter reached 53.1 million barrels of oil equivalent, up 20 per cent from the June quarter due to the ramp-up of production at the new Sangomar oil project in Senegal.

Sales in the quarter jumped 21 per cent from the June quarter to $US3.68 billion, again mostly on the back of Sangomar production.

Output this year is now expected to be between 189 million barrels of oil equivalent and 195 million boe, up from a previous range of 185 million-195 million boe.

Last edited: