Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

ELECTIONS - Labor or Liberal

Who do you think will win the next election Labor or Liberal?

• Labor (Kevin Rudd)

Votes: 221 51.8%
  • Liberal (John Howard)

Votes: 206 48.2%

• Total voters
Yes would hope they could actually work together.Hopefully not stuff things up more and then raise the gst.

Wouldn't suprise me if thats is what he does next if he wins. The arrogance will really go to his head and to cover up for all the spending the GSt will be the next thing that adds just a percent or three.

Wouldn't suprise me if thats is what he does next if he wins. The arrogance will really go to his head and to cover up for all the spending the GSt will be the next thing that adds just a percent or three.

As far as thoughtless spending goes, Howard is in a league of his own. As Costello has repeatedly said, Howard throws huge amounts of money around before an election, with re-election the only consideration. For example, the $10b on federalising the water wasn't even run through treasury for costing. He just plucked a large figure out of his head presumably. How many billions have been spent stuffing up Iraq, or government advertising etc, etc etc..As far as a high taxing government goes, the coalition win on that count also. Pity they can't spend it wisely. Tax receipts have never been so high nor been wasted more carelessly. I don't view Rudd as the 'great saviour', but he could hardly be worse than the goat of a PM we currently endure.

As far as thoughtless spending goes, Howard is in a league of his own. As Costello has repeatedly said, Howard throws huge amounts of money around before an election, with re-election the only consideration. For example, the $10b on federalising the water wasn't even run through treasury for costing. He just plucked a large figure out of his head presumably. How many billions have been spent stuffing up Iraq, or government advertising etc, etc etc..As far as a high taxing government goes, the coalition win on that count also. Pity they can't spend it wisely. Tax receipts have never been so high nor been wasted more carelessly. I don't view Rudd as the 'great saviour', but he could hardly be worse than the goat of a PM we currently endure.

Rudd has promised to spend less but he wont say by how much.Remember the disaster that was latham his figures didnt exactly add up either.

I would vote for John Howard but I don't like the idea of Peter Costello replacing him as Prime Minister. He is cunning and ambitious man who will do everything to get in power.....

I would vote for John Howard but I don't like the idea of Peter Costello replacing him as Prime Minister. He is cunning and ambitious man who will do everything to get in power.....
The irony....... just beautiful. LOL!

well hopefuly they might realise the good times are less to do with the libs and more to do with the US / Japan / EU Feds and their easy credit policies of the last decade. (i.e. 0% to 3% interest rates...)

somehow i doubt it tho, i can see this play into the hands of the libs cause everyone believes its them that keep interest rates low :banghead::banghead::banghead:

well hopefuly they might realise the good times are less to do with the libs and more to do with the US / Japan / EU Feds and their easy credit policies of the last decade. (i.e. 0% to 3% interest rates...)

somehow i doubt it tho, i can see this play into the hands of the libs cause everyone believes its them that keep interest rates low :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Will they keep the same government in during uncertain times,given Rudds experiance is lacking.

I will be voting labour simply so that we DO get wall to wall labour govts... then there is no excuses. They will have 3 years to sort out the mess... if they stuff up, this will be the last time they get my vote...
I agree, I have expected this to be the case for a while. I think labor will get in, be over their head and in 3 years time be booted out again.
But who knows, the same people joining in on all those polls may get to the booth and put 1 in the liberals box, and I wouldnt blame them.... Better the devil you know.:2twocents

'better the devil you know'

all things considered, that is the most ridiculous thing i have read in a long time.

Like it or not, in times of uncertainty people take the safe option not the brave one. Still think Rudd will win but Howard's odds will shorten if interest rates keep rising (counter intuitive) and if credit crunch sends jitters into the "real" economy ie affects Joe Average.

I think the ripples will appear after the next election though.

all things considered, that is the most ridiculous thing i have read in a long time.
It's also the second most hilariously ironic thing said on this page, considering we don't actually know for certain there are 2 devils in this contest...

The majority of people beyond this board could care less about the election. Or don’t have a clue about either partys.So the statement 'better the devil you know' may hold weight with them.

After the panic on the market today it just shows that fear is a great driver.

Geez... there is an enormous variety of puns one can use for the current situation... and I'm surprised no-one has taken the bait...

Shame, shame, shame...

I agree, I have expected this to be the case for a while. I think labor will get in, be over their head and in 3 years time be booted out again.
But who knows, the same people joining in on all those polls may get to the booth and put 1 in the liberals box, and I wouldnt blame them.... Better the devil you know.:2twocents
IMO whoever wins the next election stands a very good chance of losing the following one.

Interest rates and petrol prices are both losers as far as governments are concerned and both are likely to keep trending up IMO. If the Liberals stay in, they'll lose at least some of their economic credibility. If Labor wins this time, they'll cop the blame for a deteriorating situation for Joe Average.

IMO whoever wins the next election stands a very good chance of losing the following one.

Interest rates and petrol prices are both losers as far as governments are concerned and both are likely to keep trending up IMO. If the Liberals stay in, they'll lose at least some of their economic credibility. If Labor wins this time, they'll cop the blame for a deteriorating situation for Joe Average.

Labor will simply blame libs for the mess same as always.Bit like the current situation of labor taking glory for the boom.Rudd can distract Joe Average with his own brand of tity bar 'Rudds Jugs' or something similar.Best name wins bragging rights.