Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

ELECTIONS - Labor or Liberal

Who do you think will win the next election Labor or Liberal?

• Labor (Kevin Rudd)

Votes: 221 51.8%
  • Liberal (John Howard)

Votes: 206 48.2%

• Total voters
Labor will simply blame libs for the mess same as always.Bit like the current situation of labor taking glory for the boom.Rudd can distract Joe Average with his own brand of tity bar 'Rudds Jugs' or something similar.Best name wins bragging rights.

Conversely, if libs win, they will still blame labor for the mess... somehow!!! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

All politicians should be hung, drawn and quartered :mad:

I think people that make comments like that actually wish they had the balls to hold a position such as politician.. instead of just being the typical joe blow bagger of politicians that gives neither their money to time for the betterment of society.

Thats not a reflection specifically on previous posters just people that take the easy view.

what a classic lol.
Just heard on PM .,..
Tas Labour have successfully called Abbott's bluff ;)
They offer him Mersey Hospital (at Latrobe) for $1 lol
provided it happens before the fed election
Abbott says " no, they need time for due diligence check".
State Health Minister Lara Giddings responds...
"since when do you need due diligence for a deal worth $1 ?? lol - ripper.

Just happens to be a marginal seat .

She goes on to accuse the coalition of setting up another "non-core" promise :cool: - and at this rate, you'd have to say she's probably right - no way do they want that little problem "cured" before the election . :2twocents

excuse me moxjo...

can u explain to us here how labour is taking the glory for the mining boom, when not a day goes by without costello or howard bragging about how good the economy is, yet none of them dares breathe the word 'mining'. lets take our mining income back to 1985 levels and we'll see how much cash is sloshing around canberra.

this government is imploding. it's corrupt, malicious, and is currently looking up the fascist manual 'how to win elections'

here's a quote from martin boremann's secret notes taken during mealtimes at hitler's prussian bunker.
'generally speaking, the people never question an established regime; they are content to accept things as they are'.
sound like anyone we know?
no one has replied to an earlier question re: what has this govt done to advance oz. pre mid 2007 election promises ( p barrelling).
waiting..............waiting..............waiting................

what a classic lol.
Just heard on PM .,..

She goes on to accuse the coalition of setting up another "non-core" promise :cool: - and at this rate, you'd have to say she's probably right - no way do they want that little problem "cured" before the election . :2twocents
It's a marginal seat alright. It's a perpetual Tassie joke about the roads up there too - Burnie with it's 20,000 or so people gets the best highway in the state whilst Hobart has by far the worst access in the state and, unlike Burnie, somehow completely misses out on the National Highway funding thrown around so liberally in the North-West.

Needless to say, a marginal seat in the North-West versus reasonably safe Labor seats in Hobart. Apart from forgetting the name of the local Liberal candidate and pursuing the union background of Labor candidates (until recently Kevin Harkins), Johnny doesn't seem too interested in this end of the state.

As for Lara, she's one of the more capable people in politics in any party IMO. Quite a few visitors to Tas seem genuinely surprised to watch the news and find someone of that age (34) holding such a senior and contentious portfolio as health (and previously minister for economic development). She's been in parliament since her early 20's and it wouldn't surprise me if she ends up being premier. :2twocents

It's a marginal seat alright. It's a perpetual Tassie joke about the roads up there too - Burnie with it's 20,000 or so people gets the best highway in the state whilst Hobart has by far the worst access in the state and, unlike Burnie, somehow completely misses out on the National Highway funding thrown around so liberally in the North-West.
howdy smurf - ahh to be living in a marginal electoral district at the moment , lol
heck, if Burnie / Devonport etc get such good roads - and if they end up with the only federally run hospital in the country, (ignoring territorities) , and the feds wouldn't dare let that run down - then..
sounds like Burnie might be a good spot to retire to ;)

Heck, by then, Lara might be the first lady president ! :2twocents
(by which I mean her husband would be "first lady" - just like Bill )

Attachments

• bill for first lady.jpg
    bill for first lady.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 126
excuse me moxjo...

can u explain to us here how labour is taking the glory for the mining boom, when not a day goes by without costello or howard bragging about how good the economy is, yet none of them dares breathe the word 'mining'. lets take our mining income back to 1985 levels and we'll see how much cash is sloshing around canberra.

this government is imploding. it's corrupt, malicious, and is currently looking up the fascist manual 'how to win elections'

here's a quote from martin boremann's secret notes taken during mealtimes at hitler's prussian bunker.
'generally speaking, the people never question an established regime; they are content to accept things as they are'.
sound like anyone we know?
no one has replied to an earlier question re: what has this govt done to advance oz. pre mid 2007 election promises ( p barrelling).
waiting..............waiting..............waiting................

Paid off Labours 90-100 Billion Dollar DEPT + some
Without that Labour legacy Australia would be awash with cash or infrostructure:D

Without that Labour legacy Australia would be awash with cash or infrostructure:D

Paid it off by selling national assets. Allowed the country's infrastructure and investment in education to flounder. Try again your arguments dont stand up against the failure and deceit of the Howard and Costello regime. Where has the surplus gone? INTO PUBLIC SERVICE SUPER FUND>

Effectively transferred that debt from national debt to record personal debt.

Pretty neat trick really.

:)

Paid it off by selling national assets. Allowed the country's infrastructure and investment in education to flounder. Try again your arguments dont stand up against the failure and deceit of the Howard and Costello regime. Where has the surplus gone? INTO PUBLIC SERVICE SUPER FUND>

Are you saying we should have kept that labor government in at the time???:eek:

There was a reason they got the ass and haven’t got back in to date. Take a good look at NSW and the mess it’s in. Bob Carr ran out at the height of the mess.

Are you saying we should have kept that labor government in at the time???:eek:
No. I voted for Howard at the time. He was Honest John then. Remember? I did not expect him to have "non core" promises, be so pally with George Bush, bring in the GST which was supposed to be dead and disarm the country with draconian gun laws ( plus other faults)
Bob Carr was a disaster for NSW and so is his replacement but what has that got to do with the new look federal Labour party. I have never voted Labour ( been voting for over 50 years) but I will this time unless I have a good independant standing locally.

disarm the country with draconian gun laws
Bob Carr was a disaster for NSW and so is his replacement but what has that got to do with the new look federal Labour party.

Did you really find the gun laws that bad? I shoot a bit ,and didnt find a need for semi-autos everywhere.One basic mod and those old ar-15 were pretty much M-16s back in the day.Its still pretty easy to get a gun license.

Did you really find the gun laws that bad? I shoot a bit ,and didnt find a need for semi-autos everywhere.One basic mod and those old ar-15 were pretty much M-16s back in the day.Its still pretty easy to get a gun license.
Agree that there needed to be gun laws to the extent that some of the military type guns needed to be better controlled. I lost a good pump action 12g used for pest control and a family heirloon 110 yr old but still servicable gun. The crooks are still armed, it is only the honest ones that aren't.

The crooks are still armed, it is only the honest ones that aren't.

When it comes to crunch, and we have few seconds to defend ourselves we only can use alternatives:
Knives, axes, machetes, baseball bats, golf clubs, fists, sometimes enough, but no much to led poisoning.

If alive after the event, all we can do is call 000 and ask for police.

Crooks are long gone; often never to be seen again often never matched to crime if caught on another occasion.

As what is has to do with election? No matter whom I vote for, somehow those who win do not seem to represent me, even if election promises were encouraging.

Part of this post I should put in depression/apathy area.

what a classic lol.
Just heard on PM .,..

Hi 2020,

I don't like cynical spending near election time in marginal seats. Both sides do it. I especially remember Ross Kelly's (former Hawke Govt minister) whiteboard with marginal seats where spending was targeted.

As what is has to do with election? No matter whom I vote for, somehow those who win do not seem to represent me, even if election promises were encouraging.

Part of this post I should put in depression/apathy area.

Yes I know how you feel, but I do agree with compulsary voting. If you look at the American system where its not compulsory to vote. They only have something like a 30% turn out at election times. The lobby and interest groups get a far bigger say in that country I'm afraid.

As they say if you aren't happy with the current situation, make changes. It may mean you need to get more involved personally. Try joining a party and running for election yourself. I for one just left the country :D . Not sure when or if I will return. Seems like everytime I go back home its turning more and more into a nancy police state.

good evening all,

theres 140 odd people out there who want to return the government. can one of you outline for me how they, over a decade, have improved oz, leaving aside economics- suffice to say many people are well off. (the reasons for this are many and varied) leave out announcements made in the last few months as they are driven by politics, not policy.

give me a decent answer and ill stop bugging...promise.

if voting wasnt compulsory, i agree kitehigh, no one but special interest groups would turn up.

does anyone take abbott or downer seriously?? they are an embarrassment to the australian male.

...cynical spending near election time in marginal seats. Both sides do it. ..Ross Kelly
yep - no argument there m8 ;)

The other thing you'll see are compliments from a strong and confident opposition leading into an election -
remember when Johnny Howard used to say (just before he won first term) ..
" I don't have a monopoly on wisdom - and Labour got this or that right, etc"

Now Rudd says " I agree with Libs" - same song, different singer (IMO) :2twocents
As they say - deny potential divisive topics any oxygen; leave your opponents without any traction...etc

arminius .. - the most important thing is people have jobs.
if they don't have jobs they have no money life will be tough

howard has managed to bring the unemployment levels down to extreme low levels

thats a significant achievement.

if a rudd government is elected watch the unemployment level rise as business owners and employers aviod hiring people because they are scared of union thuggery.

what could howard do to win your approval?