Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

ELECTIONS - Labor or Liberal

Who do you think will win the next election Labor or Liberal?

• Labor (Kevin Rudd)

Votes: 221 51.8%
  • Liberal (John Howard)

Votes: 206 48.2%

• Total voters
Any sensible and smart investor will vote Liberal without any doubt.

Who want to go back 20 years and gove power to unions to destroy companies?

WBII
Overgeneralisation there when saying that any sensible and smart investor will vote Liberal without any doubt. I'm a swinging voter who's traded shares now for 28 years. Last time I voted for Howard. At the state level I voted for Bracks (ALP). This time I'm undecided. How I vote doesn't (nor should it) determine whether or not I'm a sensible/smart investor.
In the US isn't Buffet generally a Democrats supporter.? Traditionally the Republicans have been the party for big business. He's still a great investor I suppose...

NO GREGGY...:eek:
Labor are an extreme left party and anyone who votes labor cannot possibly be part of capitalist society and for that matter even participate in the stock market ;):D:D:D

I remember hearing that the sharemarket has,historically and paradoxically,done better under Labour governments than conservative.Does anyone know the figures?
To say that Labour is an extreme left party is not exactly in line with the facts...there are only minor differences.Labour has privatised a lot of state-run enterprises both Federally and at a state level.
Beware the worship of Mammon!

LABOR = UNIONS, UNIONS = CRAP/POOR ECONOMY.

KEVIN RUDD = UNIONS, UNIONS = CRAP/POOR ECONOMY.

Overgeneralisation maybe but it is soo true.

WBII

Overgeneralisation there when saying that any sensible and smart investor will vote Liberal without any doubt. I'm a swinging voter who's traded shares now for 28 years. Last time I voted for Howard. At the state level I voted for Bracks (ALP). This time I'm undecided. How I vote doesn't (nor should it) determine whether or not I'm a sensible/smart investor.
In the US isn't Buffet generally a Democrats supporter.? Traditionally the Republicans have been the party for big business. He's still a great investor I suppose...

WBII
The US doesn't have effective unions, and their economy right now is one of the worst in the world.

All swans are white...

Very interesting statement, I agree and it is the reality.

QLD case:
Health = LABOR PROBLEM and Peter Bettie (Doctor Death)
Water = LABOR PROBLEM and Peter Bettie (Level 5)
Education = UNIONS PROBLEM controlling teachers everywhere (I wonder who is to blame)
Civil liberties = Is LABOR better in this? is that a joke? maybe UNIONS can create enough press to increase civil liberties?
IR = IR is an excellent solution to the current economic constraints and LABOR WANTS TO TRASH IT

The list goes on...

KEVIN RUDD is a UNION puppet.

WBII

Interesting statement. So, you're saying that any investors that vote Labor aren't sensible or smart? Are you also also saying that those who invest should only base their voting choice on how it MAY affect the share market? There are soooooo many other issues affecting our wider community than just the sharemarket. Health, education, civil liberties, security, water, IR, the list goes on.

If you base your voting decision purely on what is best for the sharemarket, I wouldn't think that that was sensible or smart.

WBII

John Howard = Selling out to the Globalists, Loss of Civil Rights and Liberty's through the'FAKE' War on Terror

There are more important things in life like Family, Children, Relationships, Friends etc.

I just want to remind everyone, not everthing in life should be equated to MONEY.

Especially our current corrupt money that is produced out of "THIN AIR" and lent to us by a corrupt few.

Did Bracks stand down? Heard something on the radio but missed the bulk of it.

Did Bracks stand down? Heard something on the radio but missed the bulk of it.

Yes. Only staying until Monday. Completely out of politics. He said he feels "the time is right". ABC Radio said he had been having discussions with his colleagues since the drink driving incident involving his son. His wife was also recorded saying how glad she will be for the family to "have him back".
He appears to be annointing John Brumby as his successor rather than the Deputy Premier. Is this peculiar?
(I'm in Qld so don't know much about Victorian politics.)
Is his getting out anything to do with the debacle over the Murray Darling ?

Yes. Only staying until Monday. Completely out of politics. He said he feels "the time is right". ABC Radio said he had been having discussions with his colleagues since the drink driving incident involving his son. His wife was also recorded saying how glad she will be for the family to "have him back".
He appears to be annointing John Brumby as his successor rather than the Deputy Premier. Is this peculiar?
(I'm in Qld so don't know much about Victorian politics.)
Is his getting out anything to do with the debacle over the Murray Darling ?

I see the Vicotrian Farmers Federation president came out this morning and questioned whether the Victorian Govt was actually doing the right thing for Victorian Farmers. The impression I got was that the VFF has just come to terms with what the Fed Govt was proposing and believes that the Bracks Govt was in the wrong for now making it so much more difficult.

I see the Vicotrian Farmers Federation president came out this morning and questioned whether the Victorian Govt was actually doing the right thing for Victorian Farmers. The impression I got was that the VFF has just come to terms with what the Fed Govt was proposing and believes that the Bracks Govt was in the wrong for now making it so much more difficult.

OK, that's interesting Duckman. His resignation makes more sense given that information.
How Mrs Duckman doing? (and Adam of course?)
Regards
Julia

NO GREGGY...:eek:
Hi Rafa,

Labor are an extreme left party and anyone who votes labor cannot possibly be part of capitalist society and for that matter even participate in the stock market ;):D:D:D
Hi Rafa,

Not even the Coalition thinks that Labor are an extreme left party. When you're talking about the extreme left one usually associates it with communism.
Politically things have changed in Australian politics since Whitlam left the scene. Both major parties are now seen as being pro-market, despite differences on IR. Labor still has many friends in the business community. Even Mr Rudd himself says that he's a fiscal conservative.
After 28 years of trading, I've lived under both Labor and Liberal Governments. The most important factor at the end of the day is stock selection. I know a lot of people who trade on both sides of politics, the majority of whom though are conservative.
In many respects, Howard and Rudd are very similar in terms of outlook and philosophy. This explains to some extent why the next election is going to be very interesting. I'm still undecided.

Im no supporter of the Labor party, but Rudd has put the final nail in Little Johnnys coffin with KEVIN07. Possibly the catchiest and most successful attempt by a politician to become relevant in memory. Of course its all crap, spin and PR but it grabbed my attention, and the youth will take a shine to it. Much better than, er, Little, er, Johnny on, er, YouTube, er. This could get real ugly for the Libs:2twocents

Im no supporter of the Labor party, but Rudd has put the final nail in Little Johnnys coffin with KEVIN07. Possibly the catchiest and most successful attempt by a politician to become relevant in memory. Of course its all crap, spin and PR but it grabbed my attention, and the youth will take a shine to it. Much better than, er, Little, er, Johnny on, er, YouTube, er. This could get real ugly for the Libs:2twocents

Perhaps. But I suspect for every youth vote which is won by this, there will be another older Australian who doesn't even have access to the internet.
Tony Delroy (ABC Radio) did his talkback programme on the election last night and there was a very large number of older people who vehemently supported John Howard.

Just an aside, but one amusing call. One woman phoned to defend Mr Howard. Amongst her reasons for supporting the Coalition was the following rationale:
"if the soldiers hadn't been sent to Iraq then we would never have found out that some of their equipment was faulty. Therefore, the war in Iraq is completely justified!!!"
I could imagine the government's minders listening to the programme cringing at how much of a disservice she did their cause.

Perhaps. But I suspect for every youth vote which is won by this, there will be another older Australian who doesn't even have access to the internet.
Tony Delroy (ABC Radio) did his talkback programme on the election last night and there was a very large number of older people who vehemently supported John Howard.
Older people generally vote for conservative parties, and to their own detriment really. They are the ones who need properly funded health services, and conservatives aren't renowned for providing that.

Just an aside, but one amusing call. One woman phoned to defend Mr Howard. Amongst her reasons for supporting the Coalition was the following rationale:
"if the soldiers hadn't been sent to Iraq then we would never have found out that some of their equipment was faulty. Therefore, the war in Iraq is completely justified!!!"
I could imagine the government's minders listening to the programme cringing at how much of a disservice she did their cause.
Sounds like a fairly representative liberal supporter to me: illogical and senile. :p:

But it reminds me of the rationale of GWB and Howard supporters and their policy makers i.e. that famous quote, "If stupidity got us into this mess, how come it can't get us out?"

that old lady, alas, knows how the world works... she makes a valid point :D:D:D

not to mention the billions that gets pumped in US, russian, chinese arms companies (and now maybe aussie arms companies too) as they sell more equipment to the gulf states...

its good business this war... well it was in the old days where one couldn't be effected on their home soil.

anyway, i digress... nothing really to do with the topic.

interested in your thoughts Julia on the blatant poll driven drive to constantly attack the states... including now blaming them for interest rates going up!

smacks of desperation politics...

He has made good use of the media. Just hope the big brother reference doesn’t hold true 'all promotion no substance’ .Gotta love that catchphrase though.

http://www.kevin07.com/

I believe the election can be called for as late as January 2008, where will Kevin 07 be in 08.........kevin in heaven maybe

But in reality, todays pole would indicate little shift in the mood of the electorate which has remained about the same for the last six months. Having fired all cannons hard and with increasing missfires from our John Labour looks to be coming home by a landslide IMHO