Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Barack Obama!

Re: Barack 2008!

The Chaser - US opinions on Iraq and Obama (from May)

Charles Firth from "The Chaser's War on Everyth.
Added: May 09, 2007
Charles Firth from "The Chaser's War on Everything" asks ordinary Americans some questions about the Iraq war. Apparently the war was Barack Obama's fault.

check out between 0m55s and 1m30s
"Which Iraqi is most responsible for the country's upheaval ?"

Yuseph Islam (alias Cat Stevens)
Osama Bin Laden
Barack Obama

Obama responsible for the war etc
Good news - the average ordinary American seems to have learnt a lot more about Obama since May :eek: :2twocents

Hillary Clinton on the Chaser
Presidential hopeful Hillary Clint gets humiliated by a cigar wielding Charles Firth on the Chaser's War on Everything

Hillary Clinton imo has reduced her chances significantly by being almost tearful and clearly upset in a broadcast today.

Lays herself open to accusations of "an emotional woman", the last thing which is appropriate in a President.

Bit harsh Julia. Did you know that only moments before a few men were heckling her shouting "Iron my shirts", a clear reference to her being a female and that conservative view that women should stick to what they were made for.

PS A little known fact about Obama - did you know that he is a smoker!

By my reckoning, I dont think the US has had a smoker as President since FDR.

Barack brakes down another barrier!:rolleyes:

Bit harsh Julia. Did you know that only moments before a few men were heckling her shouting "Iron my shirts", a clear reference to her being a female and that conservative view that women should stick to what they were made for.

You've misunderstood what I meant. Personally I absolutely understand how she must feel. But I'm saying that she will be judged as "just a bloody emotional woman" with the obvious sequelae that you can't have someone emotional running America.

Y'all I was in Huston in February and every local I spoke to said they would never vote for a black man. In California, one woman I met said she wouldn't vote for Obama because he was a muslim and he smoked!

I really believe he will unite his country and the world. Maybe even the muslims? Hope is not audacious!

I put this on the first page of this thread A2A.

But how did YOU find out he was a smoker? :confused:
Hey... Hillary hasn't condemned him for this (yet)!

... of course he is not a muslim though... his father was and his mother shunned religions citing their history of persecution. He decided there was something missing in his life as he worked for the poor and unemployed in church groups in Chicago and spent time years ago checking them all out. He decided on joining the Church of Christ. He is a Christian. But not an evangelical. I'm not religious but thank God! ;)

I put this on the first page of this thread A2A.

But how did YOU find out he was a smoker? :confused:
Hey... Hillary hasn't condemned him for this (yet)!

... of course he is not a muslim though... his father was and his mother shunned religions citing their history of persecution. He decided there was something missing in his life as he worked for the poor and unemployed in church groups in Chicago and spent time years ago checking them all out. He decided on joining the Church of Christ. He is a Christian. But not an evangelical. I'm not religious but thank God! ;)

I have been following the guy since he won his senate spot a couple of years ago. I remember, seeing a photo of him in a swimsuit and then a few months after he won read a story how he was at a meeting and stopped it so he could get a hit of nicotine.

I mention the swimsuit photo because at the time all the women were saying how good he loooked and I thought about the relatioship between keeping your weight down and smoking.

Do a google, the photo would still be floating around - you could print it off and stick it on the ceiling above your bed.;)

At about 2pm our time: (3pm for southerners!)

Complete results
Democrats Vote % Del
Clinton 82,068 39 8
Obama 75,495 36 8
Edwards 35,042 17 0
Richardson 9,617 5 0
Kucinich 2,855 1 0
Total Write-ins 1,802 1 0
Biden 619 0 0
• 75% of precincts
• Updated: 10:51 PM

Republicans Vote % Del
McCain 62,262 37 6
Romney 53,740 32 3
Huckabee 18,888 11 0
Giuliani 14,419 9 0
Paul 13,044 8 0
Total Write-ins 2,937 2 0
Thompson 2,010 1 0
Hunter 827 0 0
• 72% of precincts
• Updated: 10:51 PM

A good game!

8 delegates each for Barack and Hiliary!

Wouldn't line up on here... Sorry!

I have been following the guy since he won his senate spot a couple of years ago. I remember, seeing a photo of him in a swimsuit and then a few months after he won read a story how he was at a meeting and stopped it so he could get a hit of nicotine.

I mention the swimsuit photo because at the time all the women were saying how good he looked and I thought about the relationship between keeping your weight down and smoking.

Do a google, the photo would still be floating around - you could print it off and stick it on the ceiling above your bed.;)

Was the pic of him in a swimsuit the one on I Gotta Crush... on Obama by Obama Girl video?

I did find:
On the January 17 edition of Fox News' The Big Story, host John Gibson, during a discussion with Manhattan Institute senior fellow John H. McWhorter and Young Democrats of America's Malia Lazu about Sen. Barack Obama (D-IL) -- who on January 16 announced his decision to form a presidential exploratory committee -- said: "And [Obama's] team works overtime trying to hide Obama's dirty little secret. He is -- get this -- a cigarette smoker. The point is: What else do we not know about Barack Obama?" Despite Gibson's claim that Obama's smoking is "a dirty little secret," Obama told the Chicago Tribune in December 2005 that his smoking is "an ongoing battle," and his cigarette use was, in fact, known during his 2004 Senate campaign, when his wife told the Chicago Sun-Times that he smokes "about three Marlboros a day."

He's allowed four tonight I'd reckon! :)

Hillary Clinton imo has reduced her chances significantly by being almost tearful and clearly upset in a broadcast today.

Lays herself open to accusations of "an emotional woman", the last thing which is appropriate in a President.

It seems the tears did the trick?:p:

so much for that old theory about big girls don't cry :eek:

Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons - Big Girls Don't Cry

Could be, I haven't looked. I had seen the video before, if he is running out of the surf, then yes.

Tried to upload for you so here is the link for you.

Remember to print off on a mat paper surface as lip stick and a gloss surface will smudge.

http://slog.thestranger.com/2007/01/obama_the_swimsuit_issue

Yes... that's the one on the video! Have a look!
Had to laugh at the blogs...

Don't need Barack on my ceiling but thanks for trying to read my mind! ;)
I constantly see his eyes. They are deep and meaningful eyes... look into your soul! Like into an anemone...

Too true that you can read people via their eyes. Like Hillary's... but did many notice her eyes after her tear-welling last night? She is good! I'm happy for her. She has earned the respite.

I wonder if Maggie Williams (The first Black woman to direct the operations of the first lady in the White House) suggested the tears strategy and how she will change Hillary's campaign persona!
I read: "Maggie uniquely combines a passion for social justice with strategic depth, political skills and natural managerial ability"

Maggie Williams to Join Clinton Effort:

Even before the polls close in New Hampshire comes word of changes at the top of the Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton's (N.Y.) presidential campaign.

Maggie Williams, a longtime Hillary Clinton confidante, is reportedly being brought on to coordinate the campaign's activities. Insiders have urged campaign manager Patti Solis Doyle to stay on, but no decision has been made, according to senior-level campaign operatives.

Williams has already been on a handful of strategy calls although no firm start date has been set.

Williams served as Hillary Clinton's chief of staff during Bill Clinton's first term and has remained close to the former first lady ever since.

..Don't need Barack on my ceiling but thanks for trying to read my mind! ;)
I constantly see his eyes. They are deep and meaningful eyes... look into your soul! Like into an anemone...

Maggie Thatcher wouldn't have been caught dead crying. Then again she did 12 rounds with personal trainer every morning :2twocents

beware Doris, she who has a thousand friends has not a friend to spare , she who has anenome will meet it everywhere. ;)

(interesting simile)

Attachments

• anenomes.jpg
    anenomes.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 113

It seems the tears did the trick?:p:

I wonder if indeed that was the reason for her success yesterday.
She has certainly been criticised for being cold and I guess the tears showed her to be a 'real person'.
Whatever, I'm really pleased she won NH. Every good wish to her for the remainder of the campaign. I just have a real sense of nervousness re Barack Obama, something to do with over the top rhetoric, drama or something.

Maggie Thatcher wouldn't have been caught dead crying. Then again she did 12 rounds with personal trainer every morning :2twocents

beware Doris, she who has a thousand friends has not a friend to spare , she who has anenome will meet it everywhere. ;)

(interesting simile)

The iron maiden... yes. But women in US would not have voted for her! :)
Ever put your finger onto an anemone's tentacle? Cool... Imagine the highs and lows of pleasure and pain they would have! All over!

Jodie Foster, Jamie Foxx, Paul Newman, Joanne Woodward, Tom Hanks, Will Smith, Isaiah Washington all donated to Barack's campaign.

This system is so complicated!

Barack is actually winning the nomination!

Pledged delegate votes: (as of 30 minutes ago)
Obama has 30: 18 + 12 Needs another 240 to win.
Hillary has 28: 17 + 11 Needs another 242 to win!

Interesting that she got only 11 from winning NH yet Obama got 12!

There are currently 4,049 total delegates to the Democratic National Convention, including 3,253 pledged delegates and 796 superdelegates. The total number of delegate votes needed to win the nomination is 2,025.
(Republicans only need to get 1191 votes!)

If they get this number on Feb 5 from the big states then it's over.
But if they split the vote then they could have to keep polling the rest of the states until summer!
Many states who do not usually get to vote will finally have a say!

Indicative pledges so far:

Clinton: 183
Obama: 78
Edwards: 52

Check out this site to see how many delegates and superdelegates have indicated their pledge. The ticks are of course the confirmed pledges in Iowa and NH. Most delegates have not yet indicated their preference. Thankfully they will wait until their people vote!?

http://edition.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/primaries/results/scorecard/#D

Dates for the remaining primaries:
http://edition.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/path.presidency/

#November 4 is Election Day in 2008, with polls opening as early as midnight in Dixville Notch, New Hampshire, and finally closing in Hawaii and Alaska.

# Although polls across the country are open on one day, the election is not a national poll but a series of 51 state-level elections that decide the members of the Electoral College. Technically, voters aren't choosing a candidate but a slate of electors who have pledged to vote for that candidate when the Electoral College meets.

# The candidate who wins the most votes in each state normally wins all of that state's electoral votes. With 538 electors up for grabs, the candidate with more than half -- 270 -- wins the presidency. The number of electors from each state equals the number of senators and representatives the state sends to Congress. If no candidate receives 270 electors, the House of Representatives decides who the next president will be.

I'm sure most Americans do not know all this! ??

Doris, all those stats lol - reminds me - this goes on until the end of the year !! sheesh :eek:
think I prefer one Saturday morning - get it all over and done with - result by that midnight etc :2twocents

Doris said:
Ever put your finger onto an anemone's tentacle? Cool... Imagine the highs and lows of pleasure and pain they would have! All over!
So the implication is that it's a very sensual thing? a very painful thing? a very interesting thing? a hypnotic yet painful thing (like love maybe)? a mysterious thing ? not sure what you meant that's all ;)

Guess Barack has a few highs and lows ahead of him as well :2twocents - as do they all.

Doris, all those stats lol - reminds me - this goes on until the end of the year !! sheesh :eek:
think I prefer one Saturday morning - get it all over and done with - result by that midnight etc :2twocents

The selection could be over on Feb 5 but as competition is fierce the votes will be divided and thus not tally to the requisite 2,025.
June is the date of the last voting state.

Don't you like the last part though... if, after all that, a clear winner isn't seen from Nov 4 then the house of Reps chooses! Democracy?
All that money and time wasted!

No wonder people don't bother going out to vote at all!

Says a lot for the youth of NH... attend the rallies for entertainment but don't show to vote! Apathetic little buggers!
And they complain about the immigrants getting the jobs!

Got to get back to reality. Have been procrastinating too long methinks!
I have a book to write!

Obama ambush underway
Diane Francis, Financial Post Published: Tuesday, January 08, 2008
It is hardly surprising to learn that Barack Obama now enjoys the same level of Secret Service protection that President George Bush does. It's also a necessary development.
The blogosphere is buzzing with threats and fears about his safety and the speculation has more to do with his religion than with his race. It represents a notably frightening development.
But the beefing up of his security -- which was initially resisted by him but brought about through monitoring the "chatter" -- is only the first of many hideous difficulties and trials that await Obama. Politics, even for those who, like him, try to stay above the fray, is a dirty business.
And it looks as though the beginnings of a sink-Obama Swiftboat ambush has started. In 2004, the Swiftboat veterans countered claims that John Kerry was a Vietnam war hero and helped defeat him.
This time -- naturally enough -- it begins again with those angry, middle-aged white guys who have run the United States and operate ultra-conservative mouthpieces like the Washington Times and Fox News.
The Times ran a piece in its Internet offshoot, called Insight, which claimed Obama was raised a Muslim and attended a radical Madrassa while a child in Indonesia.
Not true, said the Obama camp, as did CNN, which sent a team to Indonesia to investigate the school.
(Obama's late father, a Kenyan, was an atheist, as was his American mother. His Indonesian stepfather was Muslim but secular, and his maternal grandparents, who raised him mostly, were non-practising Protestants. Obama is a member of the United Church of Christ, a liberal main-stream Protestant denomination.)
Obama's spokesman, Robert Gibbs, said in response to these allegations: "If [Insight] or the staff at Fox had taken time to check their facts, or simply made a call to his office, they would have learned that Senator Obama was not educated in a Madrassa, was not raised as a Muslim, and was not raised by his father -- an atheist Obama met once in his life before he died."
Gibbs added: "All of the claims about Senator Obama's faith and education raised in the Insight Magazine story and repeated on Fox News are false. Senator Obama was raised in a secular household in Indonesia by his stepfather and mother. Obama's stepfather worked for a U.S. oil company, and sent his stepson to two years of Catholic school, as well as two years of public school."
"To be clear, Senator Obama has never been a Muslim, was not raised a Muslim, and is a committed Christian who attends the United Church of Christ in Chicago. Furthermore, the Indonesian school Obama attended in Jakarta is a public school that is not and never has been a Madrassa."
Even so, it has all the earmarks of a smear job. It also raises another more important concern -- which has led to the dramatic increase in Secret Service protection. It would take only one crazed Islamicist to regard him as an "apostate," or fallen-away Muslim, which fanatics consider far, far worse than being an infidel.
Thank heavens the Secret Service is out in force.
financialpost.com/dianefrancis