Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Barack Obama!

Re: Barack 2008!

What a man! If only...

I wonder if Americans deeply regret not letting this man lead them in 2004!

This is an awesome video! Six minutes long but worth every second.
Swiftboat references included...

Kerry endorses Obama over '04 running mate

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/01/10/kerry.obama/index.html?iref=mpstoryview#cnnSTCVideo

Sounds very good, with one big but, Kerry is a loser who failed to go forward again for 2008. Having listened to a few discussions in the last few days, there are doubts over Obama this time round. He looks like the President in waiting for 2016.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitt_Romney
Is there any truth in the rumour that if Mitt Romney gets in, then polygamy will be legalised again. - used to be big in Utah so I hear ;)

Or the rumour that the only reason Bill wants Hillary in there, he's missing the good old days maybe ??

Ahhh Sooo many interns !! ... so little time !! :D

January 20, 2008

Women turn on ‘traitor’ Oprah Winfrey for backing Barack Obama

AMERICA’S favourite television presenter is paying a painful price for her intervention in the US presidential campaign last month. Oprah Winfrey has been dubbed a “traitor” by some of her female fans for supporting Barack Obama instead of Hillary Clinton.

Winfrey’s website, Oprah.com, has been flooded with a barrage of abuse since the queen of daytime chat shows joined Obama on a tour of Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina in mid-December.

Her intervention was widely credited with broadening Obama’s national appeal - especially among women - and with helping him to an upset victory over Clinton in the first vote of the election year in Iowa.

Yet a backlash by Clinton supporters appears to have prompted a rethink by Winfrey, the African-American media titan who is routinely described as the most influential woman on television.

She did not reappear in the final days before the New Hampshire primary - which Obama lost to Clinton - and has been absent from the most recent campaigning in South Carolina, which votes next weekend.

Obama aides believe that Winfrey will return to the campaign. Her own staff noted last week that in addition to her daily broadcasts on television and satellite radio, she has also been busy negotiating a multi-million-dollar deal with the Discovery cable network to create her own television channel, the Oprah Winfrey Network.

Yet Obama’s rivals suspect that Winfrey has been startled by the virulent reaction to her previous campaign appearance.

It started with a message on her website entitled “Oprah is a traitor” and rapidly expanded to include several discussions that attracted hundreds of comments.

In the original post, a reader called austaz68 said she “cannot believe that women all over this country are not up in arms over Oprah’s backing of Obama. For the first time in history we actually have a shot at putting a woman in the White House and Oprah backs the black MAN. She’s choosing her race over her gender.”

In a subsequent comment, 2nurselady wrote: “I don’t think Oprah is a ‘traitor’, but I do think she may be alienating a lot of her fans.”

Others have accused Winfrey of racism for siding with Obama when such a well qualified woman as Clinton was running.

Winfrey has built her career on empathising with women’s issues and offering a daily diet of redemption and hope. Her show typically focuses on women who have suffered but survived.

So hostile has the response been that some suspect dirty tricks. “All the rude and hateful messages on here can’t be from Oprah fans,” another visitor noted. “Someone’s campaign (wonder who?) is sabotaging the message boards.”

Winfrey received a rapturous reception when she campaigned with Obama last month. Yet several analysts warned that she might adversely affect his chances.

Steve Ross, a history professor at the University of Southern California, said: “The moment a star opens their mouth and endorses one candidate, they alienate half their viewership.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/us_elections/article3216586.ece

So hostile has the response been that some suspect dirty tricks. “All the rude and hateful messages on here can’t be from Oprah fans,” another visitor noted. “Someone’s campaign (wonder who?) is sabotaging the message boards.”
heck - you only have to look at the polls we had on ASF going into the election.

Until the elections, the biggest poll ( I think - might stand to be corrected) was "Is there a God", with totally unpecedented numbers voting (to that point of time - became emotive issue) :-
https://www.aussiestockforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6781&highlight=god
324 votes

But if you want "emotive", then try politics , lol. (the new record 427 votes) . :-

Leading into the election - early days
https://www.aussiestockforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8231&highlight=election
157 votes

Leading into the election - getting down to the short strokes - trying to sway the swingers maybe ?
https://www.aussiestockforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5861&highlight=labor
427 votes

After the election "Who did you vote for"
https://www.aussiestockforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8976&highlight=vote
108 votes

Or even this one - yet another example of how you have to be suspicious of polls :- ...
https://www.aussiestockforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5658
should PMs pay for their own holidays ( back 12 months - MASSIVE votes for Johnny Howard lol) :2twocents

Thought for the day -

Why dont the media analyse the massive amount of data they must have on polls ofthis nature and their ced - AND PUBLISH THAT as prime time news - call them for what they (frequently) are - nothing but fodder for a gullible public - and a media who feeds on that gullibility (and could care less about real facts)

To say nothing of the emotive bludy polls they have on Channel 9 etc
"Who would you prefer to rent your beach house to? Ricky Ponting, Ivan Molat, or Doctor Haneef ? " - etc

PS "Did you know that the word "gullible" isn't in the Macquarie Dictionary?

Obama ambush underway
Diane Francis, Financial Post Published: Tuesday, January 08, 2008

And it looks as though the beginnings of a sink-Obama Swiftboat ambush has started. In 2004, the Swiftboat veterans countered claims that John Kerry was a Vietnam war hero and helped defeat him.
This time -- naturally enough -- it begins again with those angry, middle-aged white guys who have run the United States and operate ultra-conservative mouthpieces like the Washington Times and Fox News.
The Times ran a piece in its Internet offshoot, called Insight, which claimed Obama was raised a Muslim and attended a radical Madrassa while a child in Indonesia.
Not true, said the Obama camp, as did CNN, which sent a team to Indonesia to investigate the school.

Has anyone received any of these emails? I have... :mad:
Sent: Wednesday, 23 January 2008 11:01 AM
To: Doris *******
Subject: Swiftboating

Dear Doris,

I support Barack Obama because he doesn't seek to perfect the politics of Swiftboating -- he seeks to end it.

This is personal for me, and for a whole lot of Americans who lived through the 2004 election.

As a veteran, it disgusts me that the Swift Boats we loved while we were in uniform on the Mekong Delta have been rendered, in Karl Rove's twisted politics, an ugly verb meaning to lie about someone's character just to win an election. But as someone who cares about winning this election and changing the country I love, I know it's not enough to complain about a past we can't change when our challenge is to win the future -- which is why we must stop the Swiftboating, stop the push-polling, stop the front groups, and stop the email chain smears.

The truth matters, but how you fight the lies matters even more. We must be determined never again to lose any election to a lie.

This year, the attacks are already starting. Some of you may have heard about the disgusting lies about Barack Obama that are being circulated by email. These attacks smear Barack's Christian faith and deep patriotism, and they distort his record of more than two decades of public service. They are nothing short of "Swiftboat" style anonymous attacks.

These are the same tactics the right has used again and again, and as we've learned, these attacks, no matter how bogus, can spread and take root if they go unchecked.

But not this time -- we're fighting back.

And when I say "we," I mean that literally. I know Barack is committed to fighting every smear every time. He'll fight hard and stand up for the truth. But he can't do it alone.
We need you to email the truth to your address books. Print it out and post it at work. Talk to your neighbors. Call your local radio station. Write a letter to the editor. If lies can be spread virally, let's prove to the cynics that the truth can be every bit as persuasive as it is powerful.

The Obama campaign has created a place where you can find the truth you'll need to push back on these smears and a way to spread the truth to all of your address book.

Take action here:

http://my.barackobama.com/factcheckaction

So when your inbox fills up with trash and the emails of smear and fear, find the facts, and help defeat the lies.

Barack Obama is committed to bringing our country together to meet the challenges we face, but he knows that power gives up nothing without a struggle -- and to win the chance to change America, we must first defeat the hateful tactics that have been used to tear us apart for too long.

With your help, we can turn the page on an era of small, divisive politics -- but only if next time you hear these attacks on Barack, you take action immediately:

http://my.barackobama.com/factcheckaction

The fight is just heating up -- we won't let them steal this election with lies and distortions.

Thank you,

John Kerry

Paid for by Obama for America
This email was sent to: doris.*******@bigpond.com

I heard a news preview yesterday arv: ‘Obama takes out South Carolina’ but we never got to see it on the news! Holidays!
I was and am soooooo happy!

This man will change the world for the better! I knew this the moment I first saw him speak 14 months ago!

Sent: Sunday, 27 January 2008 1:38 PM
Subject: A big win

Doris --

We've just won a big victory in South Carolina.

After four great contests in every corner of this country, and another record turnout today, we have the most votes, the most delegates, and the most diverse coalition of Americans we've seen in a long, long time.

More than 20 states will have their voices heard on February 5th, and we will need your help there, too.

I'll be heading down shortly to thank our supporters in South Carolina.

If you're reading this tonight, I hope you'll tune in at home so I can thank you, too.

Barack

Can’t you feel the vibes he exudes when he wrote this… the day before the vote in SC?
Lovitt!

He’s the one! A politician who says what he means and means what he says!
I shall sleep well tonight knowing the future!

Barack's response to Bush's Stimulus Plan:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...ewsletter&wpisrc=newsletter&wpisrc=newsletter

Sent: Saturday, 26 January 2008 6:00 AM
Subject: What hope looks like

Doris --

In less than 24 hours, voters in South Carolina will head to the polls.

Before they do, I wanted to show you a bit about what kind of campaign we're running here.

When Michelle and I talked about my running for president, one of the core goals we both had for this campaign was to leave the political process better off than we found it.

Here in South Carolina, a state with a history of some pretty divisive politics, ordinary people have challenged conventional thinking about the process and built a statewide organization based on local community organizing and neighbor-to-neighbor contacts.

Our supporters -- men and women of all ages, races, religions, and backgrounds -- have come together around the idea that we are one people, invested in each other and in our common future.

We've put together a few videos that will give you a sense of what we've built here -- please take a look:

http://my.barackobama.com/organize

In communities across this state, people who have never been involved in politics before -- or who had given up on what they saw as a broken system -- have built something special.

No matter what the outcome tomorrow, our work here will have a lasting impact on those communities and on the Democratic Party for a long time to come.

We're seeing the same story play out across the country as grassroots supporters in 22 states prepare to cast their votes or turn out to caucus on February 5th.

Remember that tomorrow night, after the votes are in from South Carolina, the playing field will expand dramatically as races in those states come into full focus.

There will be a lot happening, and the intensity will be ratcheted up.

But the spirit of the grassroots organizing we have done here -- of ordinary people taking back the political process -- will be apparent in thousands of communities across the country.

I believe more strongly than ever that this movement for change can do more than just win an election. Together, we can transform this country.

Thank you for being part of this,

Barack

Hillary is winning: (from Washington Post)

Nearly complete returns showed Obama winning 55 percent of the vote, Clinton gaining 27 percent. Edwards had 18 percent and won only his home county of Oconee.

Obama also gained 25 convention delegates, Clinton won 12 and Edwards eight.

Overall, Clinton has 249 delegates, followed by Obama with 167 and Edwards with 58.

Obama also gained an endorsement from Caroline Kennedy, who likened the Illinois senator to her late father, President John F. Kennedy.

"I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them," she wrote on The New York Times op-ed page. "But for the first time, I believe I have found a man who could be that president _ and not just for me, but for a new generation of Americans."

All three contenders campaigned in South Carolina on primary day, but only Obama and Edwards arranged to speak to supporters after the polls closed. Clinton left for Tennessee as the polls were closing.

We're attracted to what supports what we think...

From a Canadian to a Jamaican newspaper: http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20080129/letters/letters4.html

Obama seen as unifying force
published: Tuesday | January 29, 2008

The Editor, Sir:

There is a strong wind blowing across America these days. It is a strong, refreshing, and unpolluted wind of unity and change, originating with Barack Obama, one of the three Democratic candidates vying for the presidency of the United States.

Barack Obama, an African-American in his mid- 40s, has certainly electrified and energised the American political landscape with his inclusive message of unity and change. There is no doubt whatsoever that the message of this inspirational leader has transcended the racial and generational divide to such an extent that Americans of all age groups and racial backgrounds have been captivated and motivated into action.

By stressing the politics of unity, change and reconciliation a unique mosaic of peoples are emerging across America, particularly in South Carolina where Obama won the Democratic Primary overwhelmingly. I have never witnessed a greater array of peoples from all walks of life as I watched the event on CNN on Saturday night.

At Obama's victory rally, there were the rich and poor, old and young, black and white, Latinos and Asians all rubbing shoulders in an atmosphere of bliss. It was indeed magnanimous when Obama genuinely asserted: "I do not see white Carolina, or black Carolina. I see Carolina" He then articulated the vision that "The election is not about black versus white, the election is about the past versus the future."

We should all hope that Obama's clarion call for unity and change will resonate across the fifty states in America so that America can be restored to its former days of glory, international respect and admiration.

e-mail: r.b.johnson@sympatico.ca
Toronto, Ontario
Canada

Sent: Tuesday, 29 January 2008 3:51 AM
Subject: The biggest day of the campaign

Doris --

Barack Obama won an overwhelming victory in South Carolina on Saturday.

People came out in record numbers and voted for change. Now, after four early state contests, Barack has the most votes, the most delegates, and the most diverse coalition of supporters we've seen in a long time.

But this is no time to rest -- the stakes will be even higher one week from tomorrow.

On February 5th, 22 states will hold primaries and caucuses.

We have exactly one week to prepare.

Here are a few details about our victory in South Carolina. According to the official results and CNN exit polls, Barack won:

• 55% of the total vote, more than twice as many votes as any other candidate
• 57% of voters who had never voted in a primary
• 66% of voters who had never voted before at alla
• Every type of community -- urban, suburban, and rural
• 58% of voters between ages 18 and 64
• 67% of voters between ages 18 and 29

The clear lesson from South Carolina is that voters are ready to bring this country together and solve the problems that matter to ordinary Americans.

This election isn't about race or gender, income level or education level.

It's about the past and the future.

The moment to act is now. We're campaigning from Alaska to Georgia, from California to New York.

Thank you for your support,

David

David Plouffe
Campaign Manager
Obama for America

P.S. -- If you just received this message, Senator Ted Kennedy is going to be endorsing Barack live on MSNBC at 12:15 p.m. Eastern. Tune in and watch the event now.

Also, if you haven't had a chance to watch Barack's victory speech from Saturday night, watch it here:

http://my.barackobama.com/scvictoryspeech

Part of Barack's SC Victory Speech:

He touches everyone in this speech! And he has no cue cards!
Would you vote for this man?

"After four great contests in every corner of this country, we have the most votes, the most delegates, and the most diverse coalition of Americans we've seen in a long, long time.

They are young and old; rich and poor. They are black and white; Latino and Asian. They are Democrats from Des Moines and Independents from Concord; Republicans from rural Nevada and young people across this country who've never had a reason to participate until now. And in nine days, nearly half the nation will have the chance to join us in saying that we are tired of business-as-usual in Washington, we are hungry for change, and we are ready to believe again.

But if there's anything we've been reminded of since Iowa, it's that the kind of change we seek will not come easy. Partly because we have fine candidates in the field - fierce competitors, worthy of respect. And as contentious as this campaign may get, we have to remember that this is a contest for the Democratic nomination, and that all of us share an abiding desire to end the disastrous policies of the current administration.

But there are real differences between the candidates. We are looking for more than just a change of party in the White House. We're looking to fundamentally change the status quo in Washington - a status quo that extends beyond any particular party. And right now, that status quo is fighting back with everything it's got; with the same old tactics that divide and distract us from solving the problems people face, whether those problems are health care they can't afford or a mortgage they cannot pay.

So this will not be easy. Make no mistake about what we're up against.

We are up against the belief that it's ok for lobbyists to dominate our government - that they are just part of the system in Washington. But we know that the undue influence of lobbyists is part of the problem, and this election is our chance to say that we're not going to let them stand in our way anymore.

We are up against the conventional thinking that says your ability to lead as President comes from longevity in Washington or proximity to the White House. But we know that real leadership is about candor, and judgment, and the ability to rally Americans from all walks of life around a common purpose - a higher purpose.

We are up against decades of bitter partisanship that cause politicians to demonize their opponents instead of coming together to make college affordable or energy cleaner; it's the kind of partisanship where you're not even allowed to say that a Republican had an idea - even if it's one you never agreed with. That kind of politics is bad for our party, it's bad for our country, and this is our chance to end it once and for all.

We are up against the idea that it's acceptable to say anything and do anything to win an election. We know that this is exactly what's wrong with our politics; this is why people don't believe what their leaders say anymore; this is why they tune out. And this election is our chance to give the American people a reason to believe again.

And what we've seen in these last weeks is that we're also up against forces that are not the fault of any one campaign, but feed the habits that prevent us from being who we want to be as a nation. It's the politics that uses religion as a wedge, and patriotism as a bludgeon. A politics that tells us that we have to think, act, and even vote within the confines of the categories that supposedly define us. The assumption that young people are apathetic. The assumption that Republicans won't cross over. The assumption that the wealthy care nothing for the poor, and that the poor don't vote. The assumption that African-Americans can't support the white candidate; whites can't support the African-American candidate; blacks and Latinos can't come together.

But we are here tonight to say that this is not the America we believe in. I did not travel around this state over the last year and see a white South Carolina or a black South Carolina. I saw South Carolina. I saw crumbling schools that are stealing the future of black children and white children. I saw shuttered mills and homes for sale that once belonged to Americans from all walks of life, and men and women of every color and creed who serve together, and fight together, and bleed together under the same proud flag. I saw what America is, and I believe in what this country can be.

That is the country I see. That is the country you see. But now it is up to us to help the entire nation embrace this vision. Because in the end, we are not just up against the ingrained and destructive habits of Washington, we are also struggling against our own doubts, our own fears, and our own cynicism. The change we seek has always required great struggle and sacrifice. And so this is a battle in our own hearts and minds about what kind of country we want and how hard we're willing to work for it.

So let me remind you tonight that change will not be easy. That change will take time. There will be setbacks, and false starts, and sometimes we will make mistakes. But as hard as it may seem, we cannot lose hope. Because there are people all across this country who are counting us; who can't afford another four years without health care or good schools or decent wages because our leaders couldn't come together and get it done.

...When I hear the cynical talk that blacks and whites and Latinos can't join together and work together, I'm reminded of the Latino brothers and sisters I organized with, and stood with, and fought with side by side for jobs and justice on the streets of Chicago. So don't tell us change can't happen.

When I hear that we'll never overcome the racial divide in our politics, I think about that Republican woman who used to work for Strom Thurmond, who's now devoted to educating inner-city children and who went out onto the streets of South Carolina and knocked on doors for this campaign. Don't tell me we can't change.

Yes we can change.

Yes we can heal this nation.

Yes we can seize our future.

And as we leave this state with a new wind at our backs, and take this journey across the country we love with the message we've carried from the plains of Iowa to the hills of New Hampshire; from the Nevada desert to the South Carolina coast; the same message we had when we were up and when we were down - that out of many, we are one; that while we breathe, we hope; and where we are met with cynicism, and doubt, and those who tell us that we can't, we will respond with that timeless creed that sums up the spirit of a people in three simple words:

Yes. We. Can."

Thank you for your support,

David

David Plouffe
Campaign Manager
Obama for America

P.S. -- If you just received this message, Senator Ted Kennedy is going to be endorsing Barack live on MSNBC at 12:15 p.m. Eastern. Tune in and watch the event now.

...This email was sent to: doris.*******@bigpond.com

Doris
a) David Plouffe - he'd be Sue Plouffe's brother yes? lol
b) you sure you don't know this mob intimately?
c) Teddy Kennedy endorsing him - has to be a gee up you'd think ;)
"from sea to shining sea"

PS this is a long one - maybe you've got the gist after 30secs or so.
NO - 1m 36s - He challenges Bill Clinton's allegedly slanderous claim that Obama was inconsistent on Iraq.

NO lol - Barack responds at 3m 30s

Ted Kennedy Endorses Barack Obama

I thought USA had had heaps of black Presidents
why - nearly every episode of "24" for a starter!! ;)

THIS ONE Definitely only 30s you get the ghist! lol

24. President David Palmer Comedy Dub

Doris
a) David Plouffe - he'd be Sue Plouffe's brother yes? lol
b) you sure you don't know this mob intimately?
c) Teddy Kennedy endorsing him - has to be a gee up you'd think ;)
"from sea to shining sea"

Who is Sue Plouffe?
You are so eclectic 2020!

Can't help but think of Teddy and the Chappaquiddick debacle. In his 40 years in politics he has achieved more than his brother and I should know better!

Who is Sue Plouffe?
You are so eclectic 2020!
well you tell me how to pronounce it, and I'll tell you who she is lol.

(rats ! - that's the trubel with writing jokes - no one ever gets em ! :banghead: )

Chappaquiddick debacle! - o boy - those Kennedy boys sure like(d) the ladies.
and John and Robbie sure knew Marilyn Monroe intimately.
In fact I read a book on "The Assassination of Marilyn Monroe" which claimed that Robbie was present when she was injected with ( what turned out to be) a lethal injection :2twocents.

Then again, the Russians and/or Cubans were indirectly getting to hear of a lot of juicy stuff disclosed in her conversations with the Kennedy's in her house. (as was J Edgar Hoover) ... but once again :topic

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Assassination-Marilyn-Monroe-Donald-Wolfe/dp/0751526525
Wolfe does not just highlight the famous people in her life, and goes into detail on her psychiatrist and doctor who were known to be Marxists in a time when they were being hunted down and also goes into detail about her many marriages as well as her flirtations with the likes of Frank Sinatra, which is very insightful on its own.
For me I not only found the book to be very enlightening but also amazingly easy to read. I say amazingly, because the book is absolutely crammed with information which could have become quite tedious if it wasn't for Wolfe's engaging writing style. The initial chapters' surrounding her death plays out like a piece of crime fiction rather than a true story and really gets you hooked. On top of this the book includes a section of photos of prominent people in her life which really helped to make the people in the book come to life. Plus it also includes copies of official documents, including her autopsy report and a plan of her house so that you can really visualize the events surrounding her death as well as back up the beliefs put across in the book.

Although Wolfe puts across his beliefs in how Marilyn came to die, he never becomes blinkered in his view point and tries to show a balance in discussing all of the possibilities surrounding her untimely death. Personally I loved reading this book... etc

http://www.crimelibrary.com/notorious_murders/celebrity/marilyn_monroe/index.html
Exactly how and when Marilyn Monroe died sparked a debate that would last more than 40 years and generate many theories, including that of murder. Some of these theories even implicated John F. Kennedy and his brother Robert in the mysterious death.

non comprendes vous pas mon ami...

It is hard to imagine Hillary being VP after Bill's efforts. John Edwards may get the nod?

Barack's speech was brilliant. Love his imagery and metaphors!

Or Barack being her VP, I still dont believe Barack will win.

As for the Kennedy endorsement, well all that is left is Ted and Caroline....the family will be just a memory once Ted is gone, his endoresment will just encourage more moderates to go for Hillary as he is seen by many as way to "liberal".

Can the media change the Californian poll trend?

LA Times backs Barack, McCain

February 02, 2008 10:18am
Article from: Agence France-Presse

THE Los Angeles Times today backed Barack Obama for the Democratic White House nomination, arguing he was the best qualified candidate to lead the United States into the future.

In a glowing endorsement on the Times website which will be published in Sunday's newspaper, the liberal-leaning daily said it preferred Obama to Hillary Clinton because of his promise and judgement over the invasion of Iraq.

On the Republican side, meanwhile, it gave the stamp of approval to John McCain, noting that while it disagreed with several of his positions, it admired his vow to close the Guantanamo Bay prison and opposition to torture.

The paper said that with little to choose between Obama and Clinton policy-wise, it had considered the leadership potential of each candidate - and come down on the side of Obama.

While stating a Clinton presidency would offer experience and competence, the paper said "experience has value only if it is accompanied by courage and leads to judgment."

"Nowhere was that judgment more needed than in 2003, when Congress was called upon to accept or reject the disastrous Iraq invasion," the Times said.

"Clinton faced a test and failed, joining the stampede as Congress voted to authorise war ... but Obama was in public life, saw the danger of the invasion and the consequences of occupation, and he said so. He was right."

The Times endorsement also said it was time for US politics to close the door on two decades of rule by the Clinton and Bush dynasties.

"Obama is correct: It is time to turn the page," the paper commented.

Recent polls have given Clinton a double-digit lead over Obama in Democrat-dominated California, which holds its primary on February 5, known as "Super Tuesday."

The Times meanwhile said McCain was the best Republican candidate even though the paper disagreed with his stance on abortion, gay marriage and Iraq.

"We do not agree with John McCain on every issue," the paper said. But we admire his conviction and stand with him on those that matter most right now."