Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Barack Obama!

Re: Barack 2008!

Here is an eye opening paragraph from the above linked article:

In truth, the Bill that would have likely averted the Fannie/Freddy failure -- the Federal Housing Enterprise Regulatory Reform Act of 2005 (S. 190) -- was Republican legislation introduced by Sen. Charles Hagel [R-NE] in January of 2005. And it was the Democrats who opposed it in committee, fearing that its restrictions and portfolio caps might impair mortgage market liquidity, and subsequently, affordable housing. Despite the "nay" votes of all 9 Democrats on the Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs, the bill moved to the Senate floor, where it died in limbo lacking a filibuster-proof majority. The Bill was reintroduced in the 110th Congress as S. 1100, but was kept on ice by committee chairman Chris Dodd, who, coincidently, received $133,900 in grease from Fannie and Freddie over the past decade.

The Republicans could not pass this bill, because the Democrats filibustered it until it died on the floor. No Democrats (including Barack Obama) would cross the aisle in order to break the filibuster. The Republicans had 56 Senators at the time, so they needed the help of 4 Democrats to invoke cloture. Harry Reid ordered them not to do so.

New strategy for Obama to promote policy awareness and to gather support:

Sent: Thursday, 2 October 2008 7:36 AM

We're proud to announce a new way to get involved in this movement for change: Small Business for Barack Obama.

In times of economic uncertainty, it's more important than ever that small businesses have everything they need to thrive. American small businesses will be a key part of our nation's economic recovery, and we are doing all we can to let their voices be heard.

Across the nation, more than 25 million local entrepreneurs and employers are creating jobs and opportunities. Small businesses keep communities growing, foster innovations that change the world, and sustain the American promise generation after generation.

But in the last eight years, Bush-McCain economic policies have driven up the costs of health care and energy, and given tax breaks to multinational corporations that ship jobs overseas.

Barack Obama will cut taxes on American small businesses with a Small Business Health Tax Credit that stands to cut employee health care premium costs by half. He will eliminate all capital gains taxes for small and start-up firms, and offer a $500 "Making Work Pay" tax credit for employees.

And Barack wants to make sure opportunities reach every community. He is committed to broadening access to capital and contracting opportunities for women- and minority-owned small businesses.

John McCain's record on small business is clear. He voted against $11 billion in tax relief for small businesses, against tax credits that provide health insurance for employees, and against targeted cuts in the capital gains tax for small businesses.

His economic plan would reward America's 200 largest corporations with almost $45 billion each year in tax cuts. And it would -- for the first time in history -- tax employee health premiums.

It's time to bring change to Washington and invest in the small businesses that are the foundation of our economy.

http://my.barackobama.com/SmallBusiness

As Barack said, "We measure the strength of our economy not by the number of billionaires we have or the profits of the Fortune 500, but by whether someone with a good idea can take a risk and start a new business, or whether the waitress who lives on tips can take a day off to look after a sick kid without losing her job-- an economy that honors the dignity of work."

We need your support to grow this movement for change.

Thanks,

Obama for America

I list I found which is just the begining. Some Actors of Substantial talent

Sen. Barack Obama

Singer and actress Barbra Streisand
"Scrubs" star Zach Braff
Actor Morgan Freeman
Actor Tom Hanks
Actor and former "24" president Dennis Haysbert
"Spiderman" actor Tobey Maguire
Actor and comedian Eddie Murphy
Actor Edward Norton
"Heroes" co-star Adrian Pasdar
Actor and director Mario Van Peebles,
Actor and comedian Ben Stiller and his wife and sometimes-co-star Christine Taylor
"Gilmore Girls" co-star David Sutcliffe
The original Willy Wonka, Gene Wilder, and his wife Karen Wilder
"Amen" co-star Anna Maria Horsford
"Star Trek" actor Leonard Nimoy and his wife Susan Nimoy
"Friends" star Jennifer Aniston
Actress Rosanna Arquette
Actress Angela Bassett
"Sabrina the Teenage Witch" co-star Beth Broderick
Film director and producer Steven Spielberg and his wife actress Kate Capshaw
Dreamworks SKG co-founder David Geffen
Dreamworks SKG co-founder Jeffrey Katzenberg, Marilyn Katzenberg and David Katzenberg
Actress Jodie Foster
Actress Jami Gertz
Character actress Dana Ivey
"Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" Oscar-winner and "Roseanne" co-star Estelle Parsons,
"St. Elsewhere" actress Cynthia Sike
Actress Gabrielle Union
Dixie Chicks lead singer Natalie Maines
Talk show host Rosie O'Donnell
TV interviewer Byron Allen
Model Kate Dillon
Film producer Brian Grazer
Musician Branford Marsalis
Singer Barry Manilow,
Singer Graham Nash
TV producer Steven Bochco
Film producer Lawrence Bender
Motown founder Berry Gordy
TV producer Norman Lear
"Mad About You" star Paul Reiser
Actress Susan Sarandon
Hair products mogul Vidal Sassoon and Rhonda Sassoon
Songwriter Carole Bayer Sager
Reality show producer Mark Burnett
TV producer Marcy Carsey
Former Playboy bunny Kimberly Hefner, estranged wife of Hugh Hefner
"Friends" creator and producer Marta Kauffman
Philanthropist and former studio executive Sherry Lansing
Film and TV producer James L. Brooks
TV producer Paul Witt
Singer-songwriter Jackson Browne

I thought Obama had a horror week, he's playing dumb to win votes.
Basically saying stuff that you know he couldn't possibly agree with, yet you know that the public would lap it up. Starting to remind me of NSW Labor.

Pre-emptive strikes on Pakistan.
Opposing the plan when the public did, then switching at the right time.

He should walk it in eventually considering the mighty value placed by the public on the opinion of those that have appeared regularly on TV. The Republican's say alot of vote winning things, it won't be a romp like the media here would have you believe.

The odds are 1.6:1 for Obama and getting tighter, anyone want to place a bet ?

I actually think Obama is a poor choice as President. He really hasn't got the correct experience.

McCain however is worse. His own party doesn't respect him and I think his nature doesn't suit the Presidential role. He will end up a lame duck within a year of winning.

Is this the best people that the USA can come up with?

I really think that constitutional change is needed. They need to get their system closer to the westminister system.

Maybe these presidential elections are another sign of the decline of the USA.

Remember... Obama needs 270 electoral votes to become president.

Each state gives ALL electoral votes to the popular candidate
(although they can conscience vote).

October 02, 2008 12:01am

EARLY voting for the presidential election began yesterday in the key battleground state of Ohio.

The souring economy is expected to favour Democrats more than Republicans and could drive more people to the polls early, said Herb Asher, a political science professor at Ohio State University.

But Barack Obama will have to fight hard to win Ohio's hefty 20 electoral votes from McCain.

Obama lost Ohio to Clinton by eight points in the Democratic primary.
Bush had his 2004 victory over Democrat John Kerry with a margin of less than 119,000 votes.

McCain is 1 per cent clear of Obama in Ohio, according to a RealClearPolitics average of recent polls.

Senator Obama yesterday made a fresh plea to supporters to vote early, using a video of young supporters who had camped out at Ohio polling station so they could be the first to cast their ballots.

Seven other states have begun early voting. A total of 34 states allow in-person early voting.

As many as a third of the 130 million people expected to vote will cast their ballot early.

"These are usually people for whom there is no reason to wait," Mr Chapin said. "Osama bin Laden could come out and offer to loan the US Government a trillion dollars to bail out Wall St, and they would still vote for the same candidate."

Ohio's 2004 presidential election was marred by long lines, electronic machine malfunctions and other problems that led some activists to allege that Republicans "stole" votes.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,24434485-401,00.html

The financial turmoil will still be a big factor right up to the election. The Wall street meltdown has been a godsend to the democrats and Obama. The nation is now in a climate of fear and uncertainty.

The conditions are ideal for Obama to take advantage of these conditions to appeal the emotions of the electorate, and he is a virtuoso at this game. He works through the whole gammut of fear, ridicule, envy, hatred and revenge. Rational people might not be swayed by this but who is thinking rationally when their very livelyhood is at stake.

McCain cannot match this. Americans have always been suckers for smart talkers. It's no country for old war heroes. Especially those in lost wars.

I actually think Obama is a poor choice as President. He really hasn't got the correct experience.

When you look at the culture of C21, no-one can have enough knowledge nor experience.

Kids at high school now will have jobs using skills that don't exist yet.
Every day we glean new knowledge and experience.

Do you concede that Obama has the ability and the temperament to consult hundreds of highly experienced experts in all fields and make deliberated, intelligent decisions with good intentions?

Out an hour ago:

Obama has vaulted ahead of McCain, gaining ground in pivotal states and among women voters:

CBS poll: Obama now enjoys a nine-point national lead over McCain - 49 to 40%

Time/CNN survey: Obama has also widened his lead in crucial states -- including Florida, Virginia and Nevada.
- Obama hit 50%, the first time a Democratic candidate has done for decades. 50 to 43%
- women overall: Obama 55 to 38%
- white women: 48 to 45%

Quinnipiac University poll: Obama pulling ahead in the battlegrounds of Ohio and Pennsylvania, as well as Florida -- a state that only weeks ago appeared out of reach for the Democrat.

Pennsylvania, Florida and Ohio have a history of shaping presidential elections.
No candidate has won the presidency since 1960 without securing two of the three battlegrounds.

Pennsylvania: Obama leads McCain by a gaping 54 to 39% after the debate,
- compared to 49 to 43% before the debate.

Florida: Obama is up 51 to 43% in this swing state,
- compared to a 49 to 43% lead before Friday's first of three debates.

Ohio: Obama is up 8%

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5jOdnz3bJ5GW04Ufj1CnHUtpuSZPg

Another list of prominent people with intelligence and critical analytical skills.
Not just movie stars!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obama_endorsements

Primary campaign endorsements
1.1 U.S. Presidents & Vice Presidents
1.2 U.S. Senators
1.3 U.S. Representatives
1.4 Governors
1.5 Presidential staff and advisors
1.6 Military
1.7 National political figures
1.8 Mayors
1.9 State, local and territory officials
1.10 Newspaper endorsements
1.11 Writers
1.12 Foreign Writers
1.13 Academics
1.13.1 Economists
1.13.2 Scientists
1.13.3 Other academics
1.14 Businesspeople
1.15 Labor unions
1.16 Labor leaders & union officials
1.17 Social and political activists
1.18 Organizations
1.18.1 Environmental organizations
1.18.2 Other organizations
1.19 Native American tribes
1.20 Entertainers
1.21 Athletes
1.22 Family members of major political figures
1.23 Other individuals
1.24 Foreign political leaders

Do you concede that Obama has the ability and the temperament to consult hundreds of highly experienced experts in all fields and make deliberated, intelligent decisions with good intentions?

I do, but here I quote George Bush!!

"Good intentions aren't good enough!”

and one more:

“You can fool some of the people all the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on.”

I you believe one word of Bush you are living on another planet! If he had said that what a lie - what good has he done for his country or the world?

I you believe one word of Bush you are living on another planet! If he had said that what a lie - what good has he done for his country or the world?

None, I agree, the worst President ever, read the second quote.

There's no doubt the Republicans have lost a heck of a lot of support over the 2 terms. Their perceived better management of the economy is not a given anymore. It may actually come down to the real issues and truth about that this time.

Basically, the Republicans have drawn alot of fire to themselves, so the typical attitude amongst voters would have to be "well we've given you guys a red hot go and you stuffed up, now we are giving the other guy a go regardless".

I can't understand these states that always vote a certain way. That just seems stupid to me. Surely there is bound to be a few upsets for the Republicans this time.

----
Just quickly on local politics, does anyone else get the impression that voting here is simply treated as a revenue raising exercise now ? I've been fined alot for not voting in state and council elections and they cancel the rego and never respond to emails, even if you have a valid reason such as short notice oncall emergency work like repairing the government computer that just happens to go belly up on the weekend. I even got the fined for driving unregistered unbeknowest to me. I might move to Alaska and buy a shotgun for therapy. ahahaha.

There's no doubt the Republicans have lost a heck of a lot of support over the 2 terms. Their perceived better management of the economy is not a given anymore. It may actually come down to the real issues and truth about that this time.

Basically, the Republicans have drawn alot of fire to themselves, so the typical attitude amongst voters would have to be "well we've given you guys a red hot go and you stuffed up, now we are giving the other guy a go regardless".

I can't understand these states that always vote a certain way. That just seems stupid to me. Surely there is bound to be a few upsets for the Republicans this time.

Less than 40% of eligible voters took part last time and this time Obama has provoked the biggest turnout in history via his campaign methods. GWB only crossed the line because his machine got the bible belt to come out at the last minute, most of whom had never voted ever before, to stop the Democrats who would legalize abortion and gay marriage. Funny how a Republican governor of California did the latter a few months ago!

GWB did not win the popular vote in 2000. There were 'problems' with the new voting machines in Florida (his brother was governor - a mere coincidence!?) and the decision went to Congress - who used their 'conscience votes'.

This time more people have been motivated to have an opinion and actually get out on their work day, in cold weather, to record their opinion.

- Oh - don't forget the Swiftboating contribution! Nasty Repug-lians! :(

Attachments

• 20081002.jpg
    20081002.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 36

and one more:

“You can fool some of the people all the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on.”

2020 - Can you find this quote on youtube?:

Bush also said, 'Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, ah, ah - shame on you.'

Can't recall the exact excerpt but it was based on:

Fool me once, it's your fault. Fool me twice, it's my fault - because I let you.

2020 - Can you find this quote on youtube?:

Bush also said, 'Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, ah, ah - shame on you.'

Can't recall the exact excerpt but it was based on:

Fool me once, it's your fault. Fool me twice, it's my fault - because I let you.

lol
well here's the easy one ... (fool me etc)
Fool me once

and here's the BBC game on the subject...

Bush Quotes (from "I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue")

Attachments

• bush presidency for dummies.jpg
    bush presidency for dummies.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 47