Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Barack Obama!

Re: Barack 2008!

All responsible homeowners should be raging mad at this proposal. All of us that bought houses we could afford should be angry. Why should those irresponsible home buyers get their home loan principal amounts reduced, and those that did not buy more house than they could afford get nothing?

I have a friend that bought a $500,000 dollar house on the same income as me. He is in foreclosure. Why should the government come in and bail him out? That is ludicrous. He should have bought a $250,000 house like I did. If he had, he would not be in foreclosure.

This is crazy, and, if the average American finds out about it, they will be MAD. Can I have my $500,000 house at a discount?

I would think that even the leftists would be against this crazy proposal.
Yep totally agree there (but I'm not a leftist).

A total outrage, I would be spitting with rage if I was still living there.

Yep totally agree there (but I'm not a leftist).

A total outrage, I would be spitting with rage if I was still living there.

I agree there should be an opportunity to restructure the loans. The original loan sharks put clauses in that keep you in a dud loan though you are paying too much. Reduction in loans though is wrong. Banks took stupid risks because it expected the government to bail them out. The same mentality should not occur among the middle class. Secondly it is unfair and (worse) visibly unfair to the people that did the right thing. If the banks want to refinance and reduce the principal that's their decision.

Having read through a lot of posts it still seems as if Barack Obama is going to spend and spend to improve the lot of the poor in America. Unfortunately there will not be any money around for many years.
If unemployment continues to rise it will cost the whole country more in benefits.
Eventually interest rates will hit 1/4% and mortgage rates around 3.5 - 4%. Then at least it will cost home owners less.

Helping house owners on payments has to be the right course for America as a whole. There are always winners, losers and unfairness, so, just be humble and bear it for America.

might as well post this - polls immediately before the VP debate..
Obama with a handy lead...

Incidentally, bookies' odds remained unchanged "through" the VP debate. :2twocents

Maybe a tennis anology...
Like Wimbleton, looks like it was "one of those games played on the outer courts".

Obama 9/20 ($1.45)
McCain 11/4 ($3.75)

http://www.gallup.com/poll/107674/Interactive-Graph-Follow-General-Election.aspx

So far it looks like the VP debate was not significant for the pollsters.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/110935/Gallup-Daily-Obama-Leads-Ninth-Straight-Day-50-43.aspx

This is the ninth consecutive Gallup Poll Daily report showing Obama leading by a significant margin, tying Obama's record frontrunner streak of nine days around the time of the Democratic National Convention in late August and early September. (To view the complete trend since March 7, 2008, click here.)

Today's result includes two full days of interviewing after the Oct. 2 vice presidential debate between Gov. Sarah Palin and Sen. Joe Biden, as well as after the news on Friday, Oct. 3, that Congress had passed a revised economic rescue plan to help alleviate the Wall Street financial crisis.

The race has been slightly closer on both of these two individual days (Oct. 3-4) than the previous two days. Obama held particularly large leads over McCain from Oct. 1-2, possibly resulting from Americans' focus on the Wall Street financial crisis and congressional rescue plan dominating the news at that time. Since then, support for Obama has remained about the same, at the 49% to 50% level, while support for McCain has increased slightly, with an associated decline in the percentage of undecided voters.

Monday's report will be the first based entirely on interviews conducted after the vice presidential faceoff and, as such, will be an important indicator of whether Palin's debate performance and, or any possible easing of public anxiety over the rescue package since Friday, may have benefited the Republican ticket. -- Lydia Saad

http://www.easyodds.com/compareodds/specials/Politics/m/147587-234-5.html

Bookies' Odds now :-
Obama 2/7 ($1.29) ..... in from 9/20 ($1.45)
McCain 11/4 ($3.75) ......steady from 11/4 ($3.75)

Remembering that odds are instantaneous, (i.e. different from the 3-day rolling polls), it would seem that the "Obama - links to terrorist" claims have so far fallen on deaf and/or doubting ears. :2twocents

Attachments

• gallup 20081006.jpg
    gallup 20081006.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 91

Obama said today:
"Sen. McCain and his operatives are gambling that they can distract you with smears rather than talk to you about substance. They'd rather try to tear our campaign down than lift this country up.

That's what you do when you're out of touch, out of ideas, and running out of time."

Forewarned is forearmed.

Obama will still have to fight back against the 'distractions'.

*1. He had his stepfather's surname and 'muslim' on a school admission form.
- Indonesia under military rule at the time precluded non-Indonesians attending school.
- He was a six year old child!

*2. Obama was linked to Ayers.
- He was born in 1961, has denounced Ayers' conduct and was a child during Ayers' radical years.
He and Ayers met decades later, when they were working on education issues in Chicago.
Ayers is now an education professor.

Palin noted that the New York Times had written about the Ayers-Obama link.
The article concluded, however, that the men were not close.

*3. Rezko, his former fundraiser, was convicted in June of federal corruption charges.
Obama is not implicated in Rezko's alleged illegal activities.

# Did Rezko help Obama buy a house?
Between them they paid more than the asking price for the house and adjacent land... no 'funny deal'.
In June 2005, the owners of the property wanted to sell both the house and the adjacent lot as a package deal, but the Obamas didn't want to buy the extra land.
Obama consulted Rezko, who had once lived in the same neighborhood.
In transactions that closed at the same meeting on the same day, Obama bought the house for $1.65 million—$300,000 less than the sellers had originally asked— Rezko's wife bought the lot next door for $625,000.
Several months later Rita Rezko sold the Obamas a strip of the vacant lot for $104,500.

Obama has said he negotiated a fair price for the house, got no help from Rezko in buying it and paid market value for the strip of land he later bought from the Rezkos.
# Did Obama immorally accept campaign contributions from Rezko for his senate campaign?
In a court filing, $10,000 of alleged finder's fee money was subsequently contributed to the campaign of an unnamed "political candidate" for whom Rezko was a fund-raiser.

There is no allegation that Obama knew the money was tainted. The senator's campaign says he has since donated to charity $160,000 worth of contributions he had collected over the years from Rezko and his associates.
http://www.newsweek.com/id/117851

*4. McCain has now stated that Obama has violated campaign-finance laws by accepting donations from foreigners and allowing donors to give more than the $2,300-per-person limit!

Is Obama's campaign to be judged guilty without evidence from McCain for his allegations? Mud and smoke!

Obama has shattered fundraising records, raising more than $450 million, with more than half the donations in increments of less than $200.

Bill Burton, Obama's spokesman, said the campaign has "gone above and beyond" disclosure requirements.

"We constantly review our donors for any issues," Burton said. "And while no organization is completely protected from Internet fraud, we will continue to review our fundraising procedures to ensure that we are taking every available to step to root-out improper contributions."

Anyone can put false information onto the site and make a donation - with a US bank (only) credit card.
Legal warnings are there and repercussions for false eligibility.
The donation site system does not accept donations above the legal $2300.

Will McCain justify his claim of foreign and over-the-limit donations? :confused:

Another scary video inspired by the cult of Obama - pretty scary:

Some of the things these kids are saying are not bad, it is just the way they are going about it - the "Hitler Youth" type methods, are just wrong. This is not the way to go about trying to inspire kids.

Comments?

Some of the things these kids are saying are not bad, it is just the way they are going about it - the "Hitler Youth" type methods, are just wrong. This is not the way to go about trying to inspire kids.

Comments?

Not bad! ... Good fun by a fraternity! :)

The only true distinction between a fraternity and any other form of social organization is the implication that the members freely associate as equals for a mutually beneficial purpose, rather than because of a religious, governmental, commercial, or familial bond, although there are fraternities dedicated to each of these topics.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraternal_organization

They are inspired to have confidence in achieving their careers not in massacring the GOP! :rolleyes:

What does Hitler have to do with these college 'kids' saying what their choice of candidate will achieve? :confused:

It is a coincidence that 'Palin's youth', Track, left for Iraq on Hitler's birthday.
... the anniversary of 9-11. :eek:

aussies,
when you tire of the US press, listen in to an in-depth aussie take on all this, with Shaun Micallef ;) ....
Episode 1 probably (just click the arrow, " >", if you do it this week)

.. (the first 40 to 50% of the time line is about olympics, wars, Afghanistan, Obama, race for the Whitehouse, and the economic crisis)

http://programs.sbs.com.au/newstopia/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newstopia

(PS thanks to chops for this link in the first place - credit due where credits-a-must).

Like - "I'm here to check what happens when you put lipstick on a pig" etc

"I wonder what all those people are carrying in those boxes as they leave those banks ... Ahhhh, I thought so .. :eek:"

Attachments

• micallef 1.jpg
    micallef 1.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 71
  • micallef 3.jpg
    micallef 3.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 68
  • micallef 2.jpg
    micallef 2.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 70

PS towards the 60% point of that timeline, (Episode 1) , there is a comparison of Putin and Palin ;)

Note that Putin shoots tigers with tranquilisers - Palin prefers lead.

http://programs.sbs.com.au/newstopia/

PS typical comment on that show from a blogger ...

Craig,from Dubbo
"Can I order a pizza using this web site?"

I Agree (2 people agree)

Attachments

• putin and palin.jpg
    putin and palin.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 29

Is it true that Obama when he was a Social Worker, hung out with a terrorist in Chicago before he went to Law School to become a Professor?

The Weathermen were pretty heavy type of people in the 60's and 70's.

I can't imagine he could have been so stupid.

Maybe he shouldn't be president after all.

At least McCain went to fight for his country.

gg

People warned Obama he had to get tough. So he is, a day before the second debate.

"Fraud is the creation of trust and then its betrayal."

The clip below is 35 seconds long and introduces the documentary.
The video-link to the documentary - at the bottom, will be available from 4am tomorrow Sydney time.

From: David Plouffe, BarackObama.com [mailto:info@barackobama.com]
Sent: Monday, 6 October 2008 4:43 PM
Subject: What they don't want to talk about

Over the weekend, John McCain's top adviser announced their plan to stop engaging in a debate over the economy and "turn the page" to more direct, personal attacks on Barack Obama.

But it's not just McCain's role in the current crisis that they're avoiding. The backward economic philosophy and culture of corruption that helped create the current crisis are looking more and more like the other major financial crisis of our time.

During the savings and loan crisis of the late '80s and early '90s, McCain's political favors and aggressive support for deregulation put him at the center of the fall of Lincoln Savings and Loan, one of the largest in the country. More than 23,000 investors lost their savings. Overall, the savings and loan crisis required the federal government to bail out the savings of hundreds of thousands of families and ultimately cost American taxpayers $124 billion.

Sound familiar?

In that crisis, John McCain and his political patron, Charles Keating, played central roles that ultimately landed Keating in jail for fraud and McCain in front of the Senate Ethics Committee. The McCain campaign has tried to avoid talking about the scandal, but with so many parallels to the current crisis, McCain's Keating history is relevant and voters deserve to know the facts -- and see for themselves the pattern of poor judgment by John McCain.

So at noon Eastern on Monday, October 6th, we're releasing a 13-minute documentary about the scandal called "Keating Economics: John McCain and the Making of a Financial Crisis" -- along with background information that every voter should know.

The point of the film and the web site is that John McCain still hasn't learned his lesson.

And this time, McCain's bankrupt economic philosophy has put our economy at the brink of collapse and put millions of Americans at risk of losing their homes.

Watch the video to see why John McCain's failed philosophy and poor judgment is a recipe for deepening the crisis:

http://my.barackobama.com/keatingvideo

It's no wonder John McCain would rather spend the last month of this election smearing Barack's character instead of talking about the top priority issue for voters.

But if we work together, we can make sure the focus stays on the economy -- and how to fix it.

Please forward this email to everyone you know.

Thanks,

David

David Plouffe
Campaign Manager
Obama for America

P.S. -- The documentary will be live at noon Eastern at www.KeatingEconomics.com.

Is it true that Obama when he was a Social Worker, hung out with a terrorist in Chicago before he went to Law School to become a Professor?

I can't imagine he could have been so stupid.

Maybe he shouldn't be president after all.

At least McCain went to fight for his country.

gg

Oh golly gosh GG!

You didn't read about Obama and Ayers in my post #1185 above did you -- you naughty boy!

* Obama was born in 1961... in Hawaii.
* Ayers studied education - not law
* Obama studied law but not a PhD in it...
* Obama was not a 'social worker' even though he was a social-worker.

btw... how long did McCain actually fight for his country before he bailed out? ;)

gosh GG! You didn't read about Obama and Ayers in my post #1185 above did you ..

think I mentioned it in #1184 as well doris ;)

http://www.easyodds.com/compareodds/specials/Politics/m/147587-234-5.html

2020 said:
Bookies' Odds now :-
Obama 2/7 ($1.29) ..... in from 9/20 ($1.45)
McCain 11/4 ($3.75) ......steady from 11/4 ($3.75)

Remembering that odds are instantaneous .... it would seem that the "Obama - links to terrorist" claims have so far fallen on deaf and/or doubting ears. :2twocents

think I mentioned it in #1184 as well doris ;)

In hindsight, 2020 - did you read my post #1185? :confused:

* Obama was a baby/child during Ayers' terrorist career
* In Obama's adulthood, he and Ayers were officially not close.

... not just the 'terrorist connection' falling on deaf or doubting ears. ;) tsk tsk :(

In hindsight, 2020 - did you read my post #1185? :confused:

* Obama was a baby/child during Ayers' terrorist career
* In Obama's adulthood, he and Ayers were officially not close.

... not just the 'terrorist connection' falling on deaf or doubting ears. ;) tsk tsk :(
yep - amazing that he's a respected professor these days :eek:

Palin is playing risky games (although nothing to lose obviously). Sure to rebound if there's nothing in it. :2twocents

Oh golly gosh GG!

You didn't read about Obama and Ayers in my post #1185 above did you -- you naughty boy!

* Obama was born in 1961... in Hawaii.
* Ayers studied education - not law
* Obama studied law but not a PhD in it...
* Obama was not a 'social worker' even though he was a social-worker.

btw... how long did McCain actually fight for his country before he bailed out? ;)

Sorry Doris,
I don't read long posts, Dostoevsky ain't my style. Though I enjoy very much your shorter ones.

I actually lived next door to a Weatherman many years ago in Atlanta Ga. We didn't know he was one until he was dragged away. He was bit weird though. I've never seen so many coppers in the one place in my life, then or since.

So, Obama was a social worker then, hyphens I believe are extinct on ASF from 2020's posts.

Obama does seem a bit light on work experience and life experience if he ended up social working with a convicted Weatherman. Lets hope he doesn't get the chance to do the same with an American Presidential Cabinet

Lastly I have no idea how long McCain served before he was captured.
I knew not many, but a few ex Changi prisoners and many of those served less than a few months before the Japs got them, if that helps. Length of service is no protection against capture by the enemy.

gg

Instant cred IMO.

(PS thanks to chops for this link in the first place - credit due where credits-a-must).
"The US jealous of Zimbabwean economy" equalled gold.

... hyphens I believe are extinct on ASF from 2020's posts....
you still need thoses hyphens sometimes...
tell me, gg, which would you choose :-

a) shame there aren't more enlightened posters on this thread
b) shame there aren't more-enlightened posters on this thread ?

;)

"The US jealous of Zimbabwean economy" equalled gold.
yep, hell he's a funny man ;)

I actually lived next door to a Weatherman many years ago in Atlanta Ga. We didn't know he was one until he was dragged away. He was bit weird though. I've never seen so many coppers in the one place in my life, then or since.
This sounds a bit like those people who lived near the guys who lived in the US to learn to fly those planes into the Twin Towers. People said they were weird but kept to themselves.

So, Obama was a social worker then, hyphens I believe are extinct on ASF from 2020's posts.
lol... He wasn't a social worker in the sense of working with individuals. One of my daughters started Uni to be one but decided she didn't want to be a 'band aid' and changed to a Community Welfare degree. She is a senior manager now (30 yo), but introduced networking in the state (Dept of Housing then Dept of Child Safety) so all govt and private related organizations liaise and refer clients to each other in these areas.

So she was similar to Obama in organizing groups to work together. He organized jobs for the unemployed and housing for the homeless. It cut down on street violence by giving these folk direction and meaning to their lives. It wasn't easy for him to change the status quo. But he worked 'socially'.

Obama does seem a bit light on work experience and life experience if he ended up social working with a convicted Weatherman. Lets hope he doesn't get the chance to do the same with an American Presidential Cabinet
Read his first biography (which paid off his college loan and his house) and you'll see how much hard work and life experience he had in being a community organizer. He went back to college to do Law as he felt he could make more of a difference with legal qualifications.

Ayers was never convicted of any crime as a weatherman but is unrepentant of his actions in the sixties.

Obama and Ayers were simply members of the board of the Woods Fund, an anti-poverty group, in Chicago, between 1999 and 2002.

Most people meet and deal with someone they later distance themselves from for reasons other than the work they did together. It's like driving a car - the more miles you do, the more likely you are to have an accident. He's met and networked with thousands of people in his various roles.

Ayers may have been a rebel in the sixties when Obama was 8 but is now a respected member of the Chicago intelligentsia. The president of the Woods Fund said he had been selected for the board because of his solid academic credentials and "passion for social justice."

Check out: http://blog.washingtonpost.com/fact-checker/2008/02/obamas_weatherman_connection.html

The factcheckers have been all over Palin’s statement. “Verdict: False,” wrote CNN’s fact-checking unit. “There is no indication that Ayers and Obama are now ‘palling around,’ or that they have had an ongoing relationship in the past three years. Also, there is nothing to suggest that Ayers is now involved in terrorist activity or that other Obama associates are.”
http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=MDgxMGU1ZTNlY2Q4MmVkYWM2MGMyYTdhNTg2N2U1NzM=