Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

WDS - Woodside Energy Group

Hi Rabbit,....
Look at my above post #659 - there I suggested that $37.62 was a problem for WDS, as it was way back earlier this year - basically gone nowhere but down in the past 7 months....
Two Consecutive Green Candles wholly above that Benchmark Candle $37.59 Line "SHOULD" signal the start of a new ST uptrend......
View attachment 160031
I know I do not have to remind you personally M8 - BUT for everyone else, the above are just my personal thoughts, my TA is a bit different to most TA Types, but it works for me - it probably will not work for the Sheep...
Oh yes..I saw/read that, just strike my memory now. Besides yours n viewing Capt's chart too. I am all good now mate. Have a Good Day.

Hi finicky ...... Typo M8 - should have been $37.59 - Sorry bout that.....

What $57.59 line?
?I saw that n was thinking to myself..it's his big finger...typo error, after reviewing his chart as a reminder of the 2 green candles.
Good Spotting mate n u beat me to it. Finally, Energy stocks are shinning or maybe I shld said...WDS n STO...(holder).. hope I don't jinx it..
It would be a Great Day if the typo error becomes a realistic indicator green finger..this rabbit will be hopping with great joy. Dreams can come true too.

Rabbit - forgot to mention that I last looked at the WDS Financials back on 14/7/23.... that analysis is attached below....
20230725 WDS Analysis 1120hrs.png

WOODSIDE TO SELL 10% SCARBOROUGH INTEREST TO LNG JAPAN

Woodside has established a strategic relationship with LNG Japan which involves three elements:
equity in the Scarborough Joint Venture, potential LNG offtake and collaboration on opportunities in
new energy.
Woodside has entered into a sale and purchase agreement with LJ Scarborough Pty Ltd (LNG Japan)
for the sale of a 10% non-operating participating interest in the Scarborough Joint Venture (the
Transaction).
The purchase price is US$500 million, subject to adjustments. LNG Japan will reimburse Woodside
for its share of expenditure for the Scarborough project from the Transaction effective date of
1 January 2022. On completion of the Transaction, expected in the first quarter of 2024, the estimated
total consideration comprising the purchase price, reimbursed expenditure and escalation is
approximately US$880 million.
Completion of the Transaction is subject to conditions precedent including Foreign Investment Review
Board approval, National Offshore Petroleum Titles Administrator approvals and Western Australian
Government approvals.
As part of the broader strategic relationship, Woodside and LNG Japan Corporation have entered into
a non-binding heads of agreement for the sale and purchase of 12 LNG cargoes per year
(approximately 0.9 million tonnes per annum) for 10 years commencing in 2026.
Woodside has also entered into non-binding agreements to collaborate with Sumitomo Corporation
and Sojitz Corporation on global opportunities in new energy which could include ammonia, hydrogen,
carbon capture and storage (CCS) and carbon management technology.
Following completion, Woodside will hold a 90% interest in the Scarborough Joint Venture and remain
as operator. Scarborough gas will be processed at the Pluto LNG facility, where Woodside is currently
constructing Pluto Train 2. Woodside is also operator of the Pluto Train 2 Joint Venture and holds a
51% participating interest.
1 LJ Scarborough Pty Ltd is currently a wholly owned subsidiary of LNG Japan Corporation, which is a 50:50 joint venture
between Sumitomo Corporation and Sojitz Corporation.
Page 2 of 4
Woodside CEO Meg O’Neill welcomed LNG Japan to the Scarborough Joint Venture.
“The support of LNG Japan is testament to the quality of the Scarborough project. It also underscores
the ongoing demand from Japanese buyers for new supplies of gas and the role of gas in supporting
Japan’s energy security.
“Our new energy agreements with Sumitomo and Sojitz provide further opportunities for us to work
closely together on our shared decarbonisation and energy security ambitions.
“Scarborough will be an important source of gas for both the Western Australian and international
markets, supporting domestic jobs and providing taxation revenue for the State and Federal
Governments.
“We look forward to working with LNG Japan to deliver this world-class project,” she said.
LNG Japan CEO Mr Kyo Onojima said he was excited to form the strategic relationship between LNG
Japan and Woodside.
“We are very pleased to join the Scarborough Joint Venture and are looking forward to finalising the
LNG offtake agreement and exploring business opportunities in the new energy sector,” he said.
About Scarborough
The Scarborough Joint Venture comprises the Scarborough field and associated offshore and subsea
infrastructure. The Scarborough field is located approximately 375 km off the coast of Western
Australia and the reservoir contains less than 0.1% carbon dioxide.
The Scarborough project will include the installation of a floating production unit with eight wells drilled
in the initial phase and thirteen wells drilled over the life of the Scarborough field. The gas will be
transported for processing at Pluto LNG through a new trunkline of approximately 430 km in length.
The final investment decision was made in November 2021 and first LNG cargo is targeted for 2026.
About LNG Japan
LJ Scarborough Pty Ltd is currently a wholly owned subsidiary of LNG Japan Corporation, which is
a 50:50 joint venture between Sumitomo Corporation and Sojitz Corporation.
Sumitomo Corporation (“SC”) is a leading Fortune 500 global trading and business investment
company with 129 locations (Japan:20, Overseas:109) in 66 countries and regions. SC’s core
business areas include six business units: Metal Products; Transportation & Construction Systems;
Infrastructure; Media & Digital; Living Related & Real Estate; and Mineral Resources, Energy,
Chemical & Electronics, and one initiative: Energy Innovation.
Sojitz Corporation consists of approximately 400 subsidiaries and affiliates located in Japan and
throughout the world, developing wide-ranging general trading company operations in a multitude of
countries and regions.

DYOR

i hold WDS

bought a small position last week when it was running at 38$ , oil price seems to have recovered back above 91$ now but why is woodside getting sold down? Is some major shareholder selling out or just the ex-dividend effect?

bought a small position last week when it was running at 38$ , oil price seems to have recovered back above 91$ now but why is woodside getting sold down? Is some major shareholder selling out or just the ex-dividend effect?
it MIGHT be instos and fund managers slowly swinging more 'Green'/CC taking the profit off the BHP entitlement they received a while back , so MIGHT be several large holders slimming down

went ex- four weeks ago, but the selling has increased only in last few days.
Screenshot_20230927-132248_CommSec.jpg
... that a handsome yield!
yes, oil price has kept high but the current narrative, and today's inflation numbers add to it, is that economic growth will slow. Perhaps the coming months more downside than upside is expected, in the view of holders.

went ex- four weeks ago, but the selling has increased only in last few days.
View attachment 163045
... that a handsome yield!
yes, oil price has kept high but the current narrative, and today's inflation numbers add to it, is that economic growth will slow. Perhaps the coming months more downside than upside is expected, in the view of holders.
was thinking some were selling down ( early ) their DRP entitlements , but the selling seems to be much stronger than that

Likely Ex div as well as scary cat decided to sell for profit now then watching it falls further

Most likely the sentiment of higher interest rates for longer creating an economic slowdown resulting in less demand for energy not tomorrow but in the coming months.
STO is also falling the same amount.

Maybe investor saw this on the cards

High price of Indigenous activists’ seismic win against Woodside Energy gas project​

View attachment 163104Raelene Cooper.
Tens of billions of dollars of investment is in peril after a court found the federal regulator had failed to properly consult Aboriginal campaigners who are against the nation’s biggest energy development.
The Federal Court ruled on Thursday that the approval by the National Offshore Petroleum Safety and Environmental Management Authority of a seismic survey program at Woodside Energy’s Scarborough gas field was invalid due to issues surrounding consultation with an Indigenous group opposed to the $16bn project.
The court decision comes amid debate about whether an Indigenous voice to parliament would open the door to more legal challenges from Indigenous groups.
The decision echoes a judgment from late last year which found Adelaide-based Santos had not adequately consulted with traditional owners over its proposed $4.7bn Barossa project in the Timor Sea.
It sparked criticism from the opposition, which accused the federal government of failing to act to address the regulatory loopholes identified in the Barossa decision and of funding the “green activists” behind the court challenges.
Scarborough is part of a $30bn investment that will double the capacity of Woodside’s Pluto LNG plant and extend the life of the project by decades. The development and Woodside’s associated Burrup Hub project have been targeted by Indigenous and environmental groups, which argue that its emissions will exacerbate climate change and damage rock art in the surrounding Burrup Peninsula.
Submissions released by the court on the eve of this week’s trial showed that Woodside had warned of “immediate, significant, and irrecoverable economic loss” if the seismic program was stalled.
Opposition resources spokeswoman Susan McDonald said the Albanese government had failed to fix the “broken” approvals process, harming domestic supply and the energy security of international partners in the process.
“The government has sat on its hands and done nothing to resolve a known issue which has ground approvals for offshore development to a halt,” she said.
“The Prime Minister needs to apologise to the people of Western Australia for impeding investment and jobs in the west.”
She said the government had spent millions of dollars funding the Environmental Defenders Office, which represented the woman who brought the legal action, Raelene Cooper, in the Woodside court challenge.
That funding, she said, would lead to more environmental legal activism. “The government needs to come clean about how much taxpayer money has gone towards torpedoing the future production of Australian natural gas,” she said.
A spokeswoman for Woodside said the company would continue to work with NOPSEMA to secure an accepted environmental plan (EP).
“The decision did not in any way criticise any action by Woodside. We have consulted extensively on our environment plans, dedicating time and effort so our approach to environmental management and EP consultation meets our current understanding of regulatory requirements and standards,” she said.
“We are continuing our engagements with all relevant stakeholders on the Seismic Survey EP and our other project EPs.”
The chief executive of oil and gas lobby group Australian Energy Producers, Samantha McCulloch, said investors in Australia’s resources sector faced increased uncertainty in the wake of the decision.
“Important energy projects which are following the rules, consulting in good faith and being granted approvals by the regulator are being impacted because unclear regulations and the application of them are effectively changing the goal posts. The time delays and costs incurred are substantial,” she said.
“More obstacles are being put in the way of critical energy developments, risking the new supply needed to deliver domestic energy security, emissions reductions and substantial economic returns for Australians.”
WA Opposition Leader Shane Love said the Woodside judgment showed that both federal and state governments had not done enough to set clear approval pathways since the Santos decision. “There’s a great deal of uncertainty around these issues now and a great deal of delay and problems being thrown in the path of the development of some of these fields, which I don’t think is in the national interest,” he said.
NOPSEMA, meanwhile, was scrambling on Thursday to digest what the latest decision means for its assessment of other projects.
The regulator had previously imposed conditions on the seismic program, noting that the decision was made amid “potential ambiguity” in the reading of environment regulations.
“NOPSEMA acknowledges the decision of the Federal Court, and is reviewing the reasons for the decision to ensure future regulatory actions are in accordance with the decision,” the regulator said in a statement.
Ms Cooper told The Australian that she was grateful for the court’s verdict. Ms Cooper is a former chair of the Murujuga Aboriginal Corporation, the body set up to represent the traditional owners of the Burrup Peninsula region. Since leaving MAC, she has been leading Save Our Songlines in their protests against ongoing development in the rock art-rich area.
She said Woodside had been “arrogant and ignorant” in its attempts to consult with her on the seismic program.
“They think they are above the law,” she said. “There’s no way in any circumstance that they’re above our law, my Indigenous law, our cultural law that’s been here since the beginning of time.”
Despite the win, Ms Cooper said she only expected the project to be stalled rather than stopped given the sums of money tied up in the project.
“All they are looking at are the dollar signs at the beginning and the end of it,” she said.
Scarborough is by far the biggest new gas project on the table in Australia, with the vast majority of its future gas production earmarked for Asia. In August, Japanese conglomerates Sumitomo Corporation and Sojitz Corporation agreed to buy a combined 10 per cent of Scarborough for $US880m ($1.38bn).
A spokesman for federal Resources Minister Madeleine King said the government was reviewing the reasons for the court’s decision. “The principle of judicial review is an important process that the Albanese government fully supports,” he said.

its below $32 today with WTI down from USD90+ to USD77, might have to wait till next years recession and stock crash to accumulate more. valuation looking very juicy though, even if earnings drop in the coming recession year.

thanks for the input guys, i would think this stock would track the oil price well.

If you adjust the price for currency and total return, it largely has done a good job of doing so for a company that largely produces LNG.

COVID broke the correlation for a little while.

1700741007359.png