Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

WDS - Woodside Energy Group

What's the red line on chart?

I was looking at it today but wasn't tempted to buy. It might be heading to test the prior low, or exceed it. Its not showing strength on the daily and the on the weekly gives the impression to me of keeling over.
I might be influenced by scraps of news that I've picked up. These fossil fuel producers have so much being stacked against them, especially under a greens hostage Labor government. Saw that the Petroleum Resources Rent Tax has recently been reset and we saw what the environmental activists and indigenes tried to pull on Santos. Then there's the geopolitical backdrop with the price of oil being under pressure from Saudi Arabia which it is speculated wants to crush the much higher cost U.S shale oil industry.

Held and Holding

DAILY
big (2).gif

What's the red line on chart?

I was looking at it today but wasn't tempted to buy. It might be heading to test the prior low, or exceed it. Its not showing strength on the daily and the on the weekly gives the impression to me of keeling over.
I might be influenced by scraps of news that I've picked up. These fossil fuel producers have so much being stacked against them, especially under a greens hostage Labor government. Saw that the Petroleum Resources Rent Tax has recently been reset and we saw what the environmental activists and indigenes tried to pull on Santos. Then there's the geopolitical backdrop with the price of oil being under pressure from Saudi Arabia which it is speculated wants to crush the much higher cost U.S shale oil industry.

Held and Holding

DAILY
View attachment 169145
Maybe someone can enlighten me, who in Australia in their right mind is installing gas equipment be that industrial or domestic, or am I missing something? :rolleyes:

Let's be honest we are the clever country, we are banning it, making it as difficult as possible to develop it and somehow trying to convince people to buy it.
Sounds like the way we roll at the moment, until we roll no more, then we go well it was someone else's fault. 🤣

Maybe someone can enlighten me, who in Australia in their right mind is installing gas equipment be that industrial or domestic, or am I missing something? :rolleyes:
My sister just renovated her kitchen last year and Installed a gas stove, they also switched the hot water system to an on-demand gas one. My mother In-law installed a new solar hot water system with an on-demand gas burner for when the water temp is below a certain heat.

So I guess people are still installing new equipment.

when it comes to industrial scale stuff, there are several gas power plants being built around the country that I know of.

My sister just renovated her kitchen last year and Installed a gas stove, they also switched the hot water system to an on-demand gas one. My mother In-law installed a new solar hot water system with an on-demand gas burner for when the water temp is below a certain heat.

when it comes to industrial scale stuff, there are several gas power plants being built around the country that I know of.
Well that's an interesting one, I'm in W.A which apparently doesn't have the same gas issues as you guys over East, but my gas HWS system stuffed up.
So I installed a heat pump hws for the same price as a gas replacement, took out the gas cooktop and replaced it with induction from Aldi and stopped the gas to the house.
So we don't have the service charge, the daily supply charge and as we have solar panels, we put the heat pump on a timer and don't pay for hot water.
Funny how electric works for somethings if you have shares and works for gas if you have shares, I guess you have to recommend whichever you have a greater holding in? 🤣
Funny how you are so into electric/solar and the family is into fossil fuel, weird hey, obviously they don't listen to you, or you have mixed messages as in this one. ;)

Last edited:

And let me guess, they all drive a Tesla. ;)

Well that's an interesting one, I'm in W.A which apparently doesn't have the same gas issues as you guys over East, but my gas HWS system stuffed up.
So I installed a heat pump hws for the same price as a gas replacement, took out the gas cooktop and replaced it with induction from Aldi and stopped the gas to the house.
So we don't have the service charge, the daily supply charge and as we have solar panels, we put the heat pump on a timer and don't pay for hot water.
Funny how electric works for somethings if you have shares and works for gas if you have shares, I guess you have to recommend whichever you have a greater holding in? 🤣
Funny how you are so into electric/solar and the family is into fossil fuel, weird hey, obviously they don't listen to you, or you have mixed messages as in this one. ;)
I recommended that they switch to electric, they didn’t follow my advice. Their reason was having two teenage daughters that have long showers.

My house is 100% electric, even my lawn equipment is electric. My APA shares don’t stop me switching to electric. 😁

As far as my opinion on Australian Gas demand, I believe over all it will continue to grow. Although I do believe in a few years installation of new equipment at private houses and businesses will slow and eventually stop, I think there will be a big demand increase from the electricity sector as coal plants are shut down and gas is used to firm renewable.

So the big picture is very slow generational decline in private gas demand as private equipment wears out and is replaced, but that demand loss will be offset by a spike in gas fired power generation. When it comes to APA, they will be make good money on their gas pipelines out to about 2050, and by then should have been switching to other infrastructure plays, eg renewables, electricity transmission etc who knows maybe they can even use their pipelines for hydrogen (a long shot, but who knows)

Last edited:
So Close to selling for about $40 in August and so close to buying under$30 a few weeks ago and now.
Strange times.

Paid out over $3,3 last calendar year in divi's. Might Pay to get some more before March..
As soon as you find out the Dividend and ex date could you include my name in your post about it, that will save me time looking for it and I can add it to your end of year percentages. Thanks @UMike

when it comes to industrial scale stuff
As a summary of price impact on industrial demand:

Price in the range of $1.50 to $5.00 per GJ is the trigger for new gas consuming industrial projects to go ahead with the median being $2.00 / GJ.

Price in the range $9 to $20 per GJ is the trigger for existing industry to close operations with the median being $12 / GJ.

The specifics of what industries and companies are strictly confidential but the summary as above has been publicly disclosed by AEMO in the context of the WA market in December 2023.

I'll leave others to conclude what that means for Woodside but the basic point is anything below $5 / GJ will start to grow demand and anything above $9 / GJ will start to shrink it. :2twocents

As a summary of price impact on industrial demand:

Price in the range of $1.50 to $5.00 per GJ is the trigger for new gas consuming industrial projects to go ahead with the median being $2.00 / GJ.

Price in the range $9 to $20 per GJ is the trigger for existing industry to close operations with the median being $12 / GJ.

The specifics of what industries and companies are strictly confidential but the summary as above has been publicly disclosed by AEMO in the context of the WA market in December 2023.

I'll leave others to conclude what that means for Woodside but the basic point is anything below $5 / GJ will start to grow demand and anything above $9 / GJ will start to shrink it. :2twocents
And what is the current industry price for Australia (I assume west coast different east coast)?
There was a big yoyo on gas price in Europe but understand this may be different here

A merger with STO is still under evaluation.

Comment from the CEO in today's quarterly announcement:

“Woodside confirmed in December that it was in discussions regarding a potential merger with Santos Ltd. The talks are still at an early stage and there is no certainty that the transaction will progress. Woodside will be disciplined, conduct thorough due diligence, and will only pursue a transaction that is value-accretive for shareholders.

“As we complete our first full reporting year after the merger with BHP Petroleum, we are pleased with the results of our strong combined portfolio,”

The second point is interesting. Is she saying they are happy with WDS as it is, or that the BHP merger went well so an STO merger might too?

A merger with STO is still under evaluation.

Comment from the CEO in today's quarterly announcement:

“Woodside confirmed in December that it was in discussions regarding a potential merger with Santos Ltd. The talks are still at an early stage and there is no certainty that the transaction will progress. Woodside will be disciplined, conduct thorough due diligence, and will only pursue a transaction that is value-accretive for shareholders.

“As we complete our first full reporting year after the merger with BHP Petroleum, we are pleased with the results of our strong combined portfolio,”

The second point is interesting. Is she saying they are happy with WDS as it is, or that the BHP merger went well so an STO merger might too?
I hold both STO and WDS and am just watching the SP of both sail south by 0.60% and 0.72% respectively as I type. I'm a believer in a merger being value accretive for both in a Mandy Rice-Davies way.

My take on that announcement today is that WDS feel they have an upper hand in any merger and will play hard ball. This would appear to be true going by the greater volatility in the STO price. So yes to both your points, happy with BHP assets and happy to merge at WDS hardball price for STO assets in merger.

The way the Middle East is going the West will be out of it's oil soon unless Sleepy Joe provokes WW3, so I guess our price for WDS and STO assets producing should go up.

Then again ...

As you are aware, its all a kneebone attached to a thigh bone situation and it depends which pinky one begins with. Just my thoughts. For gawds sake don't do ya own research, it may be dangerous. I did and its given me a headache.

gg