Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

WDS - Woodside Energy Group

The Japanese nuclear situation will lead to increased demand for LNG for power generation.

Even if WPL does not supply that increased demand, the higher demand should logically put upward pressure on prices.

Surely the takeover rumour can be the only explanation??? But even that doesn't make sense coming from BHP who just bought back stock and in the news today committed to expansion in WA and also surely the CEO is gun shy to anyother takeover???

Thoughts anyone??

20bil aussie got bought last night - so mkts rife with speculation today about where its gonna get spent.

At first it was BHP buy Woodside.. then people started to realize BHP is doing a) buyback b) has lots of AUD
The rumours have evolved to Shell (WPL's largest shareholder) doing asset/share swap with WPL

Any takers as to what's gonna happen Monday morning? :)

Also, could someone who's light fingered in using technical analysis software confirm that a resistance is evident at the 51-52 mark?

Woodside shares rise on takeover rumour
Mathew Murphy
March 29, 2011

http://www.smh.com.au/business/woodside-shares-rise-on-takeover-rumour-20110328-1cdf2.html

SHARES in Woodside Petroleum continued to rise yesterday amid continuing speculation that it may be a takeover target following a $9 billion currency trade.

However, respected investment banks such as Goldman Sachs have dismissed the rumours, saying the currency trade was more likely to be linked to AXA SA's $9.8 billion purchase of AMP's Asian assets.

Royal Dutch Shell is believed to be close to divesting its 24 per cent stake in Woodside, worth $8.85 billion at yesterday's closing price. Brokers mused that the $9 billion bought in euro swaps could be linked to a potential takeover of the oil and gas giant.

But as sales trader Richard Coppleson pointed out in Goldman's afternoon report on Friday, ''Who in their right mind would buy the currency before they have launched a bid given the huge time lag that usually exists between a bid and final completion?''

The market still liked the rumour, sending Woodside up 38 ¢ yesterday to $47.10. The stock has risen sharply from a week ago when it was trading at $44.65 a share.

Woodside has said previously it is working ''constructively and professionally'' with Shell on finding a home for the 24 per cent stake after being caught off guard by Shell's decision to sell 10 per cent of the company in November.

Woodside declined to comment yesterday on how those discussions were progressing.

WPL gets more than 80% of its revenue from gas, not oil. It aims to supply the seaborne LNG market. With the huge finds of shale gas in the USA, there is now talk of the US becoming an exporter of LNG cargos rather than importing. The Japan earthquake and offline nuclear capacity means their energy needs will have to be filled some other way, eg/ LNG.

I hold WPL.

There seems to be a very strong resistance level at about $47.80-$48... hopefully the support holds and we have yet another crack at breaking through!

serious buying today? after being on the dark side for a couple of days. I hope it break resistence.:cool:

If I were Marius. I'd blow the conch, offer 1.2 for 1 in one swift move and offer a little cash when they've said no after a while. Pity he's already got his mouth full.:mad

Im actually having a little look at woodside atm. Anyone else think this is starting to become decently valued ? Especially with the Pluto project now only about 6 months away from shipping gas.

Thoughts ? Any woodside guru's in the house ?

Having a bad day at the office.
Has enjoyed a bounce off of 32 recently.
Could be OK for a short term tick.
Pluto's going OK with no new blowouts announced today.
Production to increase by 27%
I don't know.
Buy it and short Beach for a quick buck?