Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

US Election Thread

Interesting Vice President Harris's past job is similar to that of Prime Minister Starmer in the UK. His ratings despite winning a big majority are low. Does the public dislike legal politicians, especially prosecutors?
When Nikki Haley was still a candidate in the Republican primaries against Donald Trump, she was strongly prosecuting the case for generational change.

"Most Americans do not want a rematch between Biden and Trump," Haley said in January.

"The first party to retire its 80-year-old candidate is going to be the one who wins this election."

In just over 100 days, we'll find out if she was right.

When Nikki Haley was still a candidate in the Republican primaries against Donald Trump, she was strongly prosecuting the case for generational change.

"Most Americans do not want a rematch between Biden and Trump," Haley said in January.

"The first party to retire its 80-year-old candidate is going to be the one who wins this election."

Looking back to 2020 there were really just two candidates likely to get the Democratic nomination Joe Biden aged 77 and Bernie Sanders aged 79. The others were Elizabeth Warren age 71, Michael Bloomberg age 77, and Pete Buttigieg age 37. So the field had 4 well into pension age and one was said to have a lack of experience thus Joe Biden unexpectedly beat Bernie Sanders still described today as fighting fit. Against, of course, Donald Trump aged 74. Hence an elderly President looked certain.

I suppose all these elderly candidates swamped the younger ones who did not get a look in. Some still back Bernie Sanders who would be 88 when coming up for a second term.

Maybe 'sleepy' Joe calmed things down after Trump. As to President Harris she will have difficulties over the 3.5 million ( heard this figure on TV) [ aliens as Donald Trump calls them] immigrants coming over the border and it was the job allocated to her to fix it. Unfortunately completing building the wall for $20 - $30 billion ( including land purchases ) wasn't an option for Democrats. The figure for the whole wall was up to $40 billion in 2021.

Looking back to 2020 there were really just two candidates likely to get the Democratic nomination Joe Biden aged 77 and Bernie Sanders aged 79. The others were Elizabeth Warren age 71, Michael Bloomberg age 77, and Pete Buttigieg age 37. So the field had 4 well into pension age and one was said to have a lack of experience thus Joe Biden unexpectedly beat Bernie Sanders still described today as fighting fit. Against, of course, Donald Trump aged 74. Hence an elderly President looked certain.

I suppose all these elderly candidates swamped the younger ones who did not get a look in. Some still back Bernie Sanders who would be 88 when coming up for a second term.

Maybe 'sleepy' Joe calmed things down after Trump. As to President Harris she will have difficulties over the 3.5 million ( heard this figure on TV) [ aliens as Donald Trump calls them] immigrants coming over the border and it was the job allocated to her to fix it. Unfortunately completing building the wall for $20 - $30 billion ( including land purchases ) wasn't an option for Democrats. The figure for the whole wall was up to $40 billion in 2021.
They have no money. Trumps tax cuts for the wealthy are increasingly debt rapidly. If he gets back in they will be extended sending the USA broke unless other forms of taxation are found, e.g. tariffs on all foreign goods which will be inflationary and act effectively as a tax on the less wealthy.

To illustrate I will use my industry as an example. Marlin Gerin (France) and Tersaki (Japan) make very good circuit breakers. If a tariff of 10% is enacted, USA manufacturer Eaton -Cutler Hammer will take greater market share and have the ability to raise the price by say 7%. So if you are building a house the switchboard suddenly got more expensive.

Last edited:
[ aliens as Donald Trump calls them]
Point of order: This is actually the correct legal term, "illegal aliens" to be precise, despite attempts by left wing activists to supercede it with different language.

A possible strategy at play... Trump announces running mate, Harris replaces Biden, Dems find their preferred opponent to JD Vance...

Joe Biden then forgets he stepped down :)

Maybe the Trump effect is already starting to manifest itself?
Let's hope so, the last 3 years of aggressive posturing, wasn't conducive to global peace and security.

China and the Philippines have reached a temporary agreement on the South China Sea, indicating a potential softening in Beijing's diplomatic stance.

A 2 week old projection of Nov 5th 2024 in the US. Give it 5 minutes. It's based on the 2025 plan for a Trump administration.

It will be interesting to see how a Trump Government goes IMO, from my outside looking in perspective, the choice between the Democrats or the Republicans seems to look like a choice between a soft or hard landing for Western Countries.
It is a choice of whether to just slide down the standard of living scale, or try to slow the slide to meet the Chinese somewhere in the middle.
It seems to be the Democrats want to import more people, to make the transition to a lower lifestyle and cost base, as fast as possible. Vs the Republicans, feeling they can use tariffs to diminish the advantage of producing everything in third world countries and encouraging manufacturing on home soil.
It will be interesting to watch the outcome, China is a manufacturing power house because of the West outsourcing it, whether the West can get the multinationals to return a lot of the manufacturing home remains to be seen.

The last paragraph in this article sums it up IMO.

It is unlikely, however, that Xi will deviate from the shift towards a state-directed economy with an all-in bet on China’s ability to grab global dominance of key advanced manufactures and technologies over the next decade, regardless of the already-heightened geopolitical tensions his strategy has produced.

Well you always have a 50/50 chance when you make predictions about the presidential election so it's not exactly hard...

This whole generational change obsession is a bit of a load of junk. The assumption that blacks love blacks women love women Hispanics love Hispanics and that the young love the young is just simply wrong. Young people love Bernie Sanders.

People just want a good candidate. If that candidate is 37 or is 57 or 77 no really one cares except for the talking heads on television and in the media that need to keep generating clickbait.

Kamala has not exactly covered herself in glory, I think a significant number of votes is now going to ride on a debate with Trump which presumably she will have. There are so many voters now who've gone "huh I give up I don't really care who I vote for" that a lot of them are going to leave it for the last few weeks or months before the election. And I don't see a VP pick making much of a difference unless it's a celebrity.

Last edited:
Well you always have a 50/50 chance when you make predictions about the presidential election so it's not exactly hard...

This whole generational change obsession is a bit of a load of junk. The assumption that blacks love blacks women love women Hispanics love Hispanics and that the young love the young is just simply wrong. Young people love Bernie Sanders.

People just want a good candidate. If that candidate is 37 or is 57 or 77 no really one cares except for the talking heads on television and in the media that need to keep generating clickbait.

Kamala has not exactly covered herself in glory, I think a significant number of votes is now going to ride on a debate with Trump which presumably she will have. There are so many voters now who've gone "huh I give up I don't really care who I vote for" that a lot of them are going to leave it for the last few weeks or months before the election. And I don't see a VP pick making much of a difference unless it's a celebrity.
+100% spot on.

The only thing between Trump and a massive win, is his extremely unattractive personality, hopefully he doesn't expose it if there is another debate.
In the last debate, the ugly personality was hidden, by the comedy segment on the other rostrum.

The younger voters will care. Two old men , both losing it, close to 80 didn't cut it.
It's going to be interesting.
My kids both early twenties were showing me the memes tonight. Daughter was visiting.
Really has created interest.
They find Trump creepy and a bit off and Biden sad.

(They are Australian though, and we are very different to USA people).

Last edited:
Pressure from Republicans forces resignation. It's tough at the top especially if not willing to play the blame game on the individuals who messed up.
Miss Cheatle played the blame game quite adroitly.
First she blamed the slopey roofs for not having agents up on the one place where shots could be taken.
Secondly she blamed the local Butler police force for failure of the protection, which was quickly countered by the local sheriff who said they had 7 officers there to deal with traffic control, not security.
According to local police, the SS did not even show up for walkthrough plan with local law enforcement.
Mick

Secondly she blamed the local Butler police force for failure of the protection, which was quickly countered by the local sheriff who said they had 7 officers there to deal with traffic control, not security.
According to local police, the SS did not even show up for walkthrough plan with local law enforcement.
Mick

Ha I didn't know that about the local police reported that they were meant to secure the building but makes sense one group runs the security the roof slope thing showed how bad the whole thing was.

The US election results rely on who actually votes or turns up to vote Trump gets the turn out by saying outrageous stuff and dominating the media.

The problem for Trump is Harris is raising enough money to counter where it all goes who knows.

The US election results rely on who actually votes or turns up to vote Trump gets the turn out by saying outrageous stuff and dominating the media.

The problem for Trump is Harris is raising enough money to counter where it all goes who knows.
The best thing Kamala can do is stfu, because it's actually not Kamala raising the money, it is the Soros' and Dem machine.

The more she talks, the more she destroys her own credibility. Nobody, apart from the faithful blue-anons, would actually vote for her if they actually listen to what she says.

Classic DEI hire.

The inside word from the Democrats long before the debate was Biden wouldn't be the candidate and there was a plan to make that happen also said was the US wouldn't elect a woman particularly a black woman so Harris wouldnt get to run either, looking like Harris will run so very interesting times ahead.

The inside word from the Democrats long before the debate was Biden wouldn't be the candidate and there was a plan to make that happen also said was the US wouldn't elect a woman particularly a black woman so Harris wouldn't get to run either, looking like Harris will run so very interesting times ahead.
Biden was meant to retire after the first term but like most people in power, he had trouble believing there are other people out there as capable. At this stage it has to be Harris as its too close to the election and there was no obvious alternate candidate- lucks a fortune in her case.

I think she would be a good President, if she is given the chance. Being black and female will make it harder but you saw the Republicans quaking in fear that Michelle Obama would rock up so I think its not going to be that bad. Trump isn't that popular for a number of reasons and a good communicator can help people remember them.

It's a fight between the declining middle class with whom Harris is a prime example and the wealthy elites, who are supporting Trump with money and media for the reward of more tax cuts and removal of restrictions such as pollution controls and mining limitations and also to increase trade protection to enable increased profits. If the middle class lose this they will be going backward big time.

Last edited: