Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

*Tunes*

noi, - just finding a few songs to march rhythm for people with a new treadmill for xmas ;)
even waltzing matilda qualifies I guess.

strange isn't it - that waltzing matilda isn't even a waltz lol

noi, - just finding a few songs to march rhythm for people with a new treadmill for xmas ;)even waltzing matilda qualifies I guess. strange isn't it - that waltzing matilda isn't even a waltz lol

Well 2020, I came across "Roger Clarke's Waltzing Matilda Home-Page". It is an Aussie site, not Irish, Scots etc., so perhaps the waltzing part is explained here. Frank Devine described it as a "Waltz of words": http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/WM/

Up There Cazaly
Composed by The Two Man Band (Mike Brady & Peter Sullivan.)

The song was recorded in 1979, intended as a promotion for Channel Seven's Australian Rules Football (VFL) coverage.

The popularity of the jingle led to the release as a single. It reached #1 in the Australian charts in September 1979 and was the most popular single recorded by an Australian artist that year.

Since then it has entered Australian folklore as a song synonymous with the sport of Australian Rules Football.

Roy Cazaly was a champion footballer making his VFL debut for St Kilda in 1911 & was noted for his high-flying marks.

Well you work to earn a living
But on weekends comes the time
You can do what ever turns you on
Get out and clear your mind
Me, I like football
And there's a lot of things around
But when you line 'em up together
The footy wins hands down

Up there cazaly, in there and fight
Out there and at 'em, show 'em your might
Up there cazaly, don't let 'em in
Fly like an angel, you're out there to win

Now there's a lot more things to football
That really meets the eye
There are days when you could give it up
There are days when you could fly
You either love or hate it
Depending on the score
But when your team run out or they kick a goal
How's the mighty roar (hooray, hooray)

Out there and at 'em, show 'em your might
Up there cazaly, don't let 'em in
Fly like an angel, you're out there to win

Up there cazaly, you're out there to win
In there and at 'em, don't let 'em in
Up there cazaly, show 'em you're high
Fight like the devil, the crowds on your side

Ahhh...
Out there and at 'em, show 'em you're might
Up there cazaly, show 'em you're high
Fight like the devil, the crowd's on your side
The - crowd's - on - your - side...

Jolly Rogers, South Australia
Heave away, you rolling king,
Heave away! Haul away!
All the way you'll hear me sing
We're bound for South Australia

Jolly Rogers The Ballad of William Bloat
For the razor blade was German made,
But the sheet was””Irish Belfast linen, lol ;)

Tamworth starting

there's hope for all of us yet :eek:

Ahh they don't write music like they useta !! no sirreee :rolleyes:
(suggest 20 secs is heaps lol)

Kenny Chesney-She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy

Emmylou Harris - Two More Bottles of Wine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SqIH59QMeg&feature=related

quick note on posting youtubes ... The above can be broken down as follows ( although cutting off the "suffix" is optional)

(prefix) ........ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=
(the essential component) ........ _SqIH59QMeg
( suffix - only SOMETIMES, and optional t remove anyway )....... &feature=related

hence
{youtube} _SqIH59QMeg {/youtube}
but with square brackets instead of curly. (and get rid of spaces I've added)

Jefferson Airplane, White Rabbit.

WHITE RABBIT -- Jefferson Airplane

One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all
Go ask Alice
When she's ten feet tall

And if you go chasing rabbits
And you know you're going to fall
Tell 'em a hookah smoking caterpillar
Has given you the call
Call Alice
When she was just small

When men on the chessboard
Get up and tell you where to go
And you've just had some kind of mushroom
And your mind is moving low
Go ask Alice
I think she'll know

When logic and proportion
Have fallen sloppy dead
And the White Knight is talking backwards
And the Red Queen's "off with her head!"
Remember what the dormouse said:
"Feed your head
Feed your head
Feed your head"

Go ask Alice, When she's ten feet tall

I wonder what the Reverend Charles Dodgson would have thought about the lyrics lol... - mind you , you wonder if he didn't have a lill help from his friends in Alice in Wonderland ... catepillars smoking bongs etc ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_Carroll
The Reverend Charles Lutwidge Dodgson (27 January 1832 – 14 January 1898), better known by the pen name Lewis Carroll, was an English author, mathematician, logician, Anglican clergyman, and photographer.

His most famous writings are Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and its sequel Through the Looking-Glass as well as the poems "The Hunting of the Snark" and "Jabberwocky", all considered to be within the genre of literary nonsense.

His facility at word play, logic, and fantasy has delighted audiences ranging from children to the literary elite, and beyond this his work has become embedded deeply in modern culture, directly influencing many artists.

There are societies dedicated to the enjoyment and promotion of his works and the investigation of his life in many parts of the world including North America, Japan, the United Kingdom, and New Zealand.
Controversies and mysteries

[edit] The possibility of drug use
There has been much speculation that Dodgson used psychoactive drugs, however there is no direct evidence that he ever did. It is true that the most common painkiller of the time — laudanum — was in fact a tincture of opium and could produce a "high" if used in a large enough dose.[9] Most historians would admit Dodgson probably used it from time to time, since it was the standard domestic painkiller of its day and was to be found in numerous patent medicines of the time
, but there is no evidence he ever abused it or that its effects had any impact on his work. There is no factual evidence to support a suggestion that he smoked cannabis.

However, many people regard Alice's hallucinations in the Wonderland, when surrounded by teas, mushrooms and smoking insects, (though tea and mushrooms were quite common) as references to psychedelic substances. This suggestion of psychedelic drug use made him extremely popular to the counterculture of the 1960s and was a positive way of showing the mainstream that one of their most famous and highly regarded writers also used these forbidden substances. Grace Slick wrote a song, "White Rabbit," recorded with both The Great Society and Jefferson Airplane, which depicted Carroll's Alice in Wonderland as a psychedelic drug trip. Cannabis was not a very popular drug at the time and the caterpillar has been speculated to have been smoking a range of different things.

speaking of Tamworth kicking off ;)

Yodelling -US Idol
Frank Ifield Sings "The Swiss Maid"
One of Frank's many hits featuring his excellent yodeling.
A LITTLE BACKGROUND FOR THIS SONG:

"Swiss Maid" had been written and recorded successfully by country humorist Roger Miller, who was not a yodeler, and when Miller met Frank he wanted to know why Frank hadn't recorded it! The song had been covered with resounding success by Del Shannon. Although a competent yodeler in his own right, Shannon had not yodeled the song so the way was still open for Frank to score another "first".
And score it did -- Frank added the song into his stage show and it immediately became a highlight. He performed the song with similar arrangement to previous versions until the end of the song, where he added a Swiss-style "oompah" band to
which he yodeled an authentic Bavarian style (not Swiss) yodel. At the end of the song he would gather the microphone cable into a lasso and swirl it above his head as he yodeled. The crowds loved it and the song generated standing ovation wherever Frank was showing.

"I Remember You" by Frank Ifield

Dirty Deeds Done With Sheep
Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap - AC/DC Live on Countdown
Angus Young talks about the passing of Bon Scott