Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

The state of the economy at the street level

I know tradies who've got out of the trade due to what they call "dumbing down".

Drives them crazy but the ended up deciding that if they're going to be competing against or working with fools then it was time to look for another career and that's what they ended up doing.
I am strongly considering retiring very soon for the same reason.

Although I do still have plenty of business, it is a constant battle justifying what I do against those who are completely uneducated, but who have managed a great degree of sophistry completely at odds against the established sciences.

Totally sick of battling ignorance.

Although I do still have plenty of business, it is a constant battle justifying what I do against those who are completely uneducated, but who have managed a great degree of sophistry completely at odds against the established sciences.

sounds rational to me

You will know when you are ready, the clock ticks both ways, the amount you need Vs the time you have left to spend it. :roflmao:

sounds rational to me
Here's the thing Div's.

I love what I do, I love getting results with my clients, and I have many absolutely lovely people, but so often I have to deal with "poisoning in the well".

I also love trading, and have done so for a living in the past, but it's lonely, boring, and I get white, fat and weak.

My back is great, but my elbows are totally trashed and I'm managing a rotator cuff issue. I can hardly sleep at night from the pain.

So maybe it's time.

Here's the thing Div's.

I love what I do, I love getting results with my clients, and I have many absolutely lovely people, but so often I have to deal with "poisoning in the well".

I also love trading, and have done so for a living in the past, but it's lonely, boring, and I get white, fat and weak.

My back is great, but my elbows are totally trashed and I'm managing a rotator cuff issue. I can hardly sleep at night from the pain.

So maybe it's time.
do what i did , go foe Sickness benefits first ( takes the ugly out of your medical bills ) and see where you go

meanwhile you can revive your trading skills on the banana lounge on the patio ( in case you don't score a disability pension like i did )

I could have got one of them, but the missus wouldn't let me, easy for her to say, she didn't have to go through the pain and suffering I did. ;)
Let alone with the knees and hip replacement. 🤣
no missus for me , but the first EKG really started the ball rolling , by the time of the first MRI they were ringing alarm bells .

BTW i tell the pharmacist , the GP hasn't got below the navel .. i still have more surprises left ( i even gave him hints about a wheelchair )

I've got 2 pubs I eat at. Food is good but it's got pretty expensive.

Interestingly I went to MacDonalds after hearing that people stop turning up all together and was surprised that it was actually full of people eating in. Probably 15 years since I've seen that many people eating in. Went to 2 different maccas as well. They must have updated training as it wasn't a soggy mess that you usually get.

Mall on the weekend was packed and people actually spending money.

I'm guessing it might be some tax returns getting spent. It's also holidays in nsw.

Another observation: One of the restaurants was having an electrical issue, explained it in detail and what I wanted done. Actually had about 5 different ones as backup but went with the one with the best reviews (my sparkie mates were busy).

Guy turns up late (then late again after an automated message saying he would be there in 23 mins).I can handle late. He then checks the meter for 20 minutes and is out of there for $288 plus gst. Did nothing that I asked and power issue 10mins after again.
I went "old man ranting" off at them. This isn't the first trade I've had recent problems with either.

I had a fan installed that was an Aussie. Charged $7k which was steep. He messed up the fan order (wrong spec) first time round stuffing our Service. Second time I check as the fan isn't pulling the smoke and he gives me some bs excuse. I go up and check the fan model and it's different from what he quoted. So got my money back, used a licensed Thai and he does it for $1500. Check the work and it's quality, he knows his stuff in-depth.

Our tradies are dumb as hell. They can't fix basic problems and they charge a fortune now. I was the ultimate tradie shill before. But the education of this lot is shocking.
Dumb or not I don't know.

Severe lack of pride I am certain of. Also they don't lack work .... go on write a bad review.... They don't care.

had the wheelchair scenario suggested to me when I was injured.
Not a lifestyle I would have been comfortable with, so preserved and got back to pretty good fettle.
It's certainly an individual thing when to give up what one enjoys doing, through health of "just had enough".

10 bucks for a cup of coffee, eh? Fark that!

This could have easily gone in to the inflation thread but I kind of think that this sort of thing could have more impact at the economy at a street level. Certainly inflationary pressures here but also the article talks about the cost of doing business which is an economics thing.

I know some young kids getting trained up as boilermakers or whatever they call it now. The company they work at has put a bunch of Filipinos on. They work hard and long hours.
Problem is the work slowed up and it is cutting into the Australian workers pay as the overtime is getting chewed up by the foreign workers. Filipinos are on 4 year contracts. Not too sure if they can put the Aussies off in this situation.

I'd argue that bringing in foreign workers cuts the training of Australian born workers. The money also goes overseas. I'm not against using Visa workers. But Aussies are losing out in more ways than one.

I know some young kids getting trained up as boilermakers or whatever they call it now. The company they work at has put a bunch of Filipinos on. They work hard and long hours.
Problem is the work slowed up and it is cutting into the Australian workers pay as the overtime is getting chewed up by the foreign workers. Filipinos are on 4 year contracts. Not too sure if they can put the Aussies off in this situation.

I'd argue that bringing in foreign workers cuts the training of Australian born workers. The money also goes overseas. I'm not against using Visa workers. But Aussies are losing out in more ways than one.
I have a client who has a very large steel fabrication shop here in Perth. He has just taken on some such Filipinos to fill positions that he was unable to fill with locals.

This is a guy who has loyal employees that have been with him for years upon years (many who've been there for decades), so it would seem on the face of it, he is a very good employer.

No comment from me on this, but just for what it's worth.

I have a client who has a very large steel fabrication shop here in Perth. He has just taken on some such Filipinos to fill positions that he was unable to fill with locals.

This is a guy who has loyal employees that have been with him for years upon years (many who've been there for decades), so it would seem on the face of it, he is a very good employer.

No comment from me on this, but just for what it's worth.
Filipinos are good workers. Some places just don't have the workers.

I think it's a problem of training some of the younger generation into roles. Cost of living needs to be sorted. Along with all these jobs that contribute next to nothing to the economy.

The excitement begins, W.A the boom and bust economy is alive and well.

I really hope the Eastern States investment property investors are ready for the cycle, IMO it is just beginning, an early Federal election will be on the cards IMO.

Mining giant BHP has announced it's putting its WA nickel mines on ice for at least three years, blaming an "oversupply in the global nickel market."

In a statement on Thursday afternoon, BHP said it would begin suspending its operations at the Kwinana nickel refinery in Perth, the Kalgoorlie smelter and its major mines at Mt Keith and Leinster from October.
In a statement, WA Premier Roger Cook said the move would affect thousands of workers.

"My government will do whatever it takes to support those workers and our regional communities through this difficult time," he said.

The affected mines include BHP's Nickel West operations and West Musgraves project in the Goldfields.

The miner said projections indicate nickel prices over the next five years would fall sharply, giving way to the strong growth of cheaper nickel produced elsewhere
BHP's WA nickel asset president Jessica Farrell fronted a press conference on Thursday evening and said 1,600 frontline workers across the operations would be directly impacted.

"Anyone in our frontline that wants a job with BHP has a job with BHP," she said, although no detail was given on those proposed redeployments.

"We're continuing to work with all of our other employees and support businesses on options where we can for redeployment."

Where is a battery manufacturing plant when you need one. 🤣

Last edited: