Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

The Harris Presidency

The Bee, confusing satire with reality :laugh:

20240810_113352.jpg

Its all about the optics.
Content, policy, plans, costings. project management, none of it is needed.
It just has to look good on a 15 second sound bite that is forgotten almost as soon as its uttered.
Mick
Just to highlight the absurdity of US political optics, I was just reading that Gavin Newsome has hired a celebrity photographer on 200k a year to follow him around to get the best PR snap shots. ( see MSN News )
California has a few problems, like homelessness, rampant urban crime, a deteriorating finacial position, a net loss of residents as they leave the state just to name a few.
But the Governor is more intent on his image.
Quite possibly because he is positioning himself to be the next Democrat candidate for president.
Mick

Just to highlight the absurdity of US political optics, I was just reading that Gavin Newsome has hired a celebrity photographer on 200k a year to follow him around to get the best PR snap shots. ( see MSN News )
California has a few problems, like homelessness, rampant urban crime, a deteriorating finacial position, a net loss of residents as they leave the state just to name a few.
But the Governor is more intent on his image.
Quite possibly because he is positioning himself to be the next Democrat candidate for president.
Mick
Part of their job is publicity.
It's politics. They all have to do it.

Last edited:
I usually pick the winner in US presidential elections but am completely baffled by this one.

I watched a speech by Kamahl Harris this afternoon and she is a complete and utter f*ckwit.

gg

I watched a speech by Kamahl Harris this afternoon and she is a complete and utter f*ckwit
To 50% of voting Americans, and a few here, it just doesn't matter. They voted for Joe Biden. They'll deny the fixes: the no I.D voting, postal voting, vote harvesting, all the lies, frame ups and smearing. Just no Republican president is all, let alone Trump.

She can mostly hide out like her predecessor and let the media build her image. She can parrot the slogans and read the tele-prompter. Rat cunning, a disgusting level of self confidence and shamelessness might just get the job done.

I believe they'll gradually make it illegal to oppose them.

Tim Walz implies he suffers from PTSD after serving in Afghanistan, something he never did.

The lies keep piling up.

Smart move by Harris.
That was Trumps only policy to help the ordinary people.
Match that and he has nothing.

Should increase her vote.
The fact hat she (or her minders have ) decided to copy the Trump policy shows she had nothing to start with.
Mick

The fact hat she (or her minders have ) decided to copy the Trump policy shows she had nothing to start with.
Mick
It doesn't mean that. It means she is smart enough to remove his only policy advantage for the working poor.
They have other policies for the working class. He has none.

It doesn't mean that. It means she is smart enough to remove his only policy advantage for the working poor.

Pea and thimble trick from both parties?

How much would a person have to earn including tips, before any tax has to be paid? I should go and find the USA tax rates on income and any deductions allowed but somebody else can do that work.

OK, I relented.

Like what for instance?
Allowing hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants to keep the meagre wages of the working poor nicely depressed?
That was her one task.
Or perhaps she will do something about the ridiculous health care costs that are killing the working poor
About half of U.S. adults say it is difficult to afford health care costs (Figure 10), and one in four say they or a family member in their household had problems paying for health care in the past 12 months (Figure 11). People with lower incomes, people in fair or poor health, and the uninsured are particularly likely to report problems affording health care in the past year.
as per this report .
Just because Harris is not Trump, it does not canonise her.
She has not subjected herself to any press conferences so the reporters can ask her how she is going to fix the various problems the poor and low paid are getting stuck with.
Its all very well to stand in front of the cheering crowds that she will bring down inflation for the poor, but at some stage she is going to have to answer the question , How?
Mick

Like what for instance?
Allowing hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants to keep the meagre wages of the working poor nicely depressed?
That was her one task.
Or perhaps she will do something about the ridiculous health care costs that are killing the working poor

as per this report .
Just because Harris is not Trump, it does not canonise her.
She has not subjected herself to any press conferences so the reporters can ask her how she is going to fix the various problems the poor and low paid are getting stuck with.
Its all very well to stand in front of the cheering crowds that she will bring down inflation for the poor, but at some stage she is going to have to answer the question , How?
Mick
There will be a debate soon. People will be able to compare.
Trumps policies are very inflationary but I am sure you know that.

There will be a debate soon. People will be able to compare.
Trumps policies are very inflationary but I am sure you know that.
Trump has no policies, its policy on the run.
He is reactionary, and goes by the seat of his pants.
If he wins, the only hope is if he manages to surround himself with people who have a little nous of foreign policy, trade policy, economic policy, social policy etc etc.
I have zero faith in the abilities of either potential leader.
Mick

Trump has no policies, its policy on the run.
He is reactionary, and goes by the seat of his pants.
If he wins, the only hope is if he manages to surround himself with people who have a little nous of foreign policy, trade policy, economic policy, social policy etc etc.
I have zero faith in the abilities of either potential leader.
Mick
I agree.

I was going to make a joke on your post, but it is serious. Very serious.

gg