Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Rugby League

One of the great grand finals.

Well done Penrith. And Cleary - you are a freak!
@Ferret
Cleary's performance, particularly when it counted, last 20 minutes 2nd half, revealed to rcw1 a level of greatness. Didn't think he had it in him, certainly has changed my opinion of the lad. He is certainly up there in that top echelon of half backs, hoping he don't bring that form into SoO .... for Queensland's sake anyways.

Kind regards
rcw1

Might have to watch it again .....
I thought it was more Bribanse clocking off than a cleary brilliance.

Don't get me wrong Cleary is certainly a top flight player but still...... Ezra Man's 20 minutes was more brilliant IMO.

BTW .... Travesty that James Tedesco keeps out Ponga or even Edwards.....

Should be picking on form FFS
Yep, gotta agree, 100% true that.... Tedesco keeps the captaincy under Big Mel...
Notwithstanding, very strong squad of 21 selected, for mine.

Kind regards
rcw1

@UMike,
rcw1 got tickets for the Samoa v Kangeroos game at Queensland Country Bank Stadium, Townsville on 14 October...
Are you thinking about making the trip north?

Kind regards
rcw1

This must have been one hell of a tense game that ended in a brawl, it certainly must have been emotionally charged.

NRL superstar knocked out in wild all-in brawl​

Police are investigating a vicious brawl in which NRL superstar Josh Addo-Carr was knocked out in an indigenous rugby league tournament on the Central Coast on Saturday.
Good evening sptrawler,
Hoping find you well. Not entirely exactly sure what happened with this one, the story ran outta legs.. There had been some articles published that he wasn't knocked out... I note Josh has been selected in the Kangaroos team to play against Samoa on the 14th October. Big Mel wouldn't have picked him if he had brought the game into disrepute nor would the NRL allow it. Unless something plays out and more news is published, not sure what happened.

Loose lips sink ships... someone will say something in due course :)

Thanks for sharing that story. Have a very nice night.

Kind regards
rcw1

Yep, gotta agree, 100% true that.... Tedesco keeps the captaincy under Big Mel...
Notwithstanding, very strong squad of 21 selected, for mine.

Kind regards
rcw1
Would love to.
Got so much going on though......
Enjoy.

Good morning
Went to the Jillaroos 16 v NZ Ferns 10 and Kangaroos 38 v Samoa 12 rugby league test matches last night.

Around 18 - 19 thousand fans packed Queensland Country Bank Stadium in Townsville, reckon half of Samoa were there!!! Everybody well behaved, great evening, and thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere and rugby league being played.

Jillaroos play NZ on 28 October at AAMI Park, Melbourne, kick off 5 pm
Kangaroos play NZ on 28 October at AAMI Park, Melbourne, kick off 7.10pm

rcw1 get confused with this daylight saving but thinking these times are Queensland time...

Have a very nice Sunday.

Kind regards
rcw1

Good morning
Michael Maguire looks set to prioritise coaching New Zealand ahead of the NSW side if New Zealand Rugby League deems him unable to juggle both positions in 2024.

Last week, NSW Rugby League (NSWRL) offered Maguire a one-year deal to replace outgoing Blues coach Brad Fittler, who stepped down following back-to-back State of Origin series defeats. But the biggest question surrounding Maguire's mooted appointment appeared to be whether he had room in his schedule amid duties at the Kiwis and as an assistant with the NRL's Canberra.

Part of the sticking point for Fittler had been that from 2024, the Blues position will not be a full-time job, so could lend itself to a coach who has other irons in the fire.

Maguire took charge of the Kiwis following a disastrous World Cup campaign in 2017 that ended with their worst-ever result - a loss to Fiji in the quarter-finals. He has overseen a resurgence since then that has yielded a 67 per cent win rate, including victories in seven of the side's last eight matches.

In April, the 49-year-old signed a contract extension to remain with New Zealand until the end of 2025.
Maguire addressed his future with the Kiwis for the first time on Monday after New Zealand Rugby League had initially refused to comment when the Origin offer became public last week.

"I'm fully focused about the Kiwis," Maguire told New Zealand media. "That's what I'm going to be continually talking about and that's my goal at the moment. "I am 100 per cent committed with the boys, we've done a lot of work to get to this point and I don't plan on anything getting in the way of what we're focused on."

NZRL has still yet to publicly confirm whether Maguire could take on the Blues job while fulfilling commitments at the Kiwis.

No hard-and-fast decision is expected until after the ongoing Pacific Championships.
Maguire declined to weigh into his possible new position with NSW but said he had unfinished business with the Kiwis after their semi-final exit from last year's World Cup.

"One hundred per cent, I'm going to the World Cup," Maguire said. "I can assure you now, that's my plan. You've got to be successful as a coach, to be able to go to where we want to get to. "That is my plan and I want nothing more than to be able to stand with the players and achieve that. "I won't lie, it hurt not to be able to do it overseas (at last year's World Cup) and that's the driving factor of where I sit right now."

## Could see Madge coaching the Blues, but not sure it would be at a time when NZ need him most, not entirely sure of the international draw at that time. Don't believe anything is penned for Interational footy at the time SoO is played. Buttttt, his other commitment with the Raiders... they certainly would be of need of his ability during SoO time, no doubt about that one ... not sure what the Raiders or big Rickies thoughts would be on this one let alone the NZ League.
I think not.

Kind regards
rcw1

Good evening sptrawler,
Hoping find you well. Not entirely exactly sure what happened with this one, the story ran outta legs.. There had been some articles published that he wasn't knocked out... I note Josh has been selected in the Kangaroos team to play against Samoa on the 14th October. Big Mel wouldn't have picked him if he had brought the game into disrepute nor would the NRL allow it. Unless something plays out and more news is published, not sure what happened.

Loose lips sink ships... someone will say something in due course :)

Thanks for sharing that story. Have a very nice night.

Kind regards
rcw1
Good evening @sptrawler,
100% on the money m8 ....

NRL 2023: Bulldogs to send Josh Addo-Carr for HIA test after shock Koori Knockout revelation​

Canterbury will haul Josh Addo-Carr before the club’s medical staff after the Bulldogs star admitted he was “put to sleep” before the infamous Koori Knockout brawl.

ritchie_dean.png
Dean Ritchi

2 min read
October 17, 2023 - 6:23PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

Canterbury will haul Josh Addo-Carr before the club’s medical staff for an immediate HIA test after the star winger finally revealed he was “knocked out”, yet played on, in the Koori Knockout.
After admitting to being “put to sleep” at the annual event, Addo-Carr later became involved in a fight which resulted in a two-game suspension from the NRL.

This masthead understands the NRL and Bulldogs were deeply concerned Addo-Carr continued playing after being concussed given the game’s stringent rules around head knocks.

The Koori Knockout was played more than two weeks ago but the Bulldogs were only made aware of Addo-Carr’s injury after he appeared on a podcast, which was released this week.

The NRL declined to comment given the Koori Knockout isn’t a sanctioned event.
Bulldogs management will ask Addo-Carr to undergo an HIA protocol assessment this week where the club’s medical team will check for any delayed reactions or headaches.

On the Let’s Trot podcast, hosted by former player Josh Mansour, Addo-Carr said: “I was copping it all game against the Walgett boys and I’m getting knocked out, put to sleep, five, ten minutes into the game.

“It was a fiery game. Two strong teams, two proud communities going against each other. “It was just unfortunate that the incident (the brawl) happened at the end of the game but that’s the Koori Knockout. “I don’t think the media or NRL have ever cared about the Koori Knockout till now.”

Addo-Carr is on holidays and hasn’t told the club he has suffered any side effects.

While encouraging their players to compete, NRL clubs are privately worried at the lack of medical facilities and options for injured players at the Koori Knockout. The NRL has in the past sent an email reminding all clubs the Koori Knockout isn’t a fully authorised tournament.

Addo-Carr confirmed he will appeal his two-game suspension, which ended his chances of Australian selection for the Pacific Championships. “The media made it look like I was at fault. I will appeal and fight for my innocence,” Addo-Carr said. “This is the first time ever. I’ve never been suspended. I’m a cleanskin, you know. “And I didn’t think anything was going to come from it. I’m pretty disappointed with the way things panned out and hopefully things fall my way.”

Kind regards
rcw1

Good morning
Read an article in the Sunday Mail today (29/10/23) that might interest avid rugby league fans.... Here goes :

A $600M NRL PLAN TO TACKLE PACIFIC EXCLUSIVE - PETER BADEL

The ARL Commission and the federal government are in talks on the richest expansion project in rugby league’s 115-year history – $600m for a new NRL franchise to win over the Pacific. In a landmark moment for the sport, ARL Commission boss Peter V’landys has begun due diligence to introduce an 18th club to the NRL by 2027. Prime Minister Anthony Albanese would not comment on the specific financial commitment, saying it was too early to discuss figures, but declared his strong support for the project which would deliver infrastructure and an NRL team to represent Papua New Guinea.

A proposed PNG franchise will have the financial and political support of Mr Albanese – and now US President Joe Biden – following the Prime Minister’s trip to the White House. It is understood the government is prepared to bankroll a $600m expansion package – $60m injected annually for at least 10 years for economic and sporting development in PNG via the NRL’s overseas push into the Pacific. “We are absolutely expanding the competition to 18 teams,” Mr V’landys said. Mr Albanese is a key ally in the NRL’s growth strategy. A passionate South Sydney supporter, he believes PNG can be an NRL powerhouse and confirmed he is in negotiations with Mr V’landys for an 18th franchise with Pacific links. “I am very supportive of an 18th NRL team in PNG,” Mr Albanese told News Corp on Saturday following his return from the White House. “This is a game changer for the relationship with Papua New Guinea. “We’re definitely behind the NRL bid and, importantly, Prime Minister (James) Murape in PNG is very much behind an NRL team. “This is a country that will celebrate its 50th year of independence in a couple of years (2025). “Having PNG participate in the NRL,

I can’t think of any better way to get that ongoing relationship and engagement between our two countries.” Under Mr V’landys’ plans for an 18-team Telstra Premiership, super coach Wayne Bennett has been identified as the potential face of the expansion project. Bennett is currently in charge of the Dolphins, but he will stand down as head coach when his contract expires at the end of next season. With the NRL having locked in their historic double header to launch the 2024 premiership in Las Vegas next March, Mr V’landys confirmed his next mission – fresh NRL expansion – is under way. “We’re looking at 2027, but possibly earlier in 2026, if we can put the pathways in and implement the necessary programs with the support of the government,” he said. “Anthony Albanese is a great man and a great supporter of rugby league. “I won’t speak about figures, but the Prime Minister is a big supporter of expansion, he is a driving force behind it.” Mr V’landys has spent recent days in Washington DC, where, as a guest of Mr Albanese, he met Mr Biden at a state dinner at the White House. Mr Albanese believes a PNG franchise can have educational benefits for the region, bolstered by the use of “soft diplomacy” via a government-financed sporting team to keep China at bay in the Pacific. It is understood the estimated $600m investment is not solely for a new NRL team but part of a wider social, economic and educational blueprint to strengthen a nation of 10 million where rugby league is the No.1 sport. “I was in PNG in January and you see kids and adults all wearing State of Origin jumpers and jumpers of NRL clubs,” he said. “The support there is fanatical. “Samoa made the World Cup final last year. “If you develop a pathway for young people to come through, Papua New Guinea is a potential powerhouse in global rugby league. “We haven’t landed on exact figures. It’s a bit premature. That’s a matter for discussions, which are taking place at the moment. “We put $7m into the recent Pacific championships and we are prepared to have talks with the NRL on funding. “The aim would be for any government funding to be aimed at economic development in schools. It’s not just for the NRL team and to pay Alex Johnston (Souths winger) to play for PNG. “To have a PNG NRL team, we would need to get the pathway and infrastructure right. “It’s an important part of economic development and getting young people engaged in PNG. “This is not just about sport in itself, it’s building people-to-people relations and economic development for PNG.” The ARL Commission’s next task is deciding the location and headquarters of an 18th NRL team.

There has been speculation surrounding the North Sydney Bears joining forces with a Pasifika franchise with links to Tonga and Samoa, but Mr Albanese is keen for the 18th NRL licence to be spearheaded by PNG. Mr V’landys stressed other bid consortiums from Perth and the Brisbane Tigers have not been dismissed, with the NRL open to expanding to a 20- team competition by the 2032 Brisbane Olympics. Should a PNG-branded team win the next NRL licence, the governmentbacked operation will have a permanent base on Australian soil. The most feasible logistical option is a headquarters in Far North Queensland, where charter flights to PNG would take about 90 minutes

Have a very nice Sunday.

Kind regards
rcw1

Good evening,
rcw1 is in mourning... The kangaroos were belted by the kiwis in the Pacific Championship final 30-0, Australia's biggest loss in Test history ): Australia had belted NZ the week before.... !!!!

Kangaroos' biggest ever losses​

30 points
  • 2023: New Zealand 30 - Australia 0
24 points
  • 1952: Australia 25 - New Zealand 49
  • 2005: Australia 0 - New Zealand 24
23 points
  • 1958: Australia 17 - Great Britain 40
  • 1992: Australia 10 - Great Britain 33
21 points
  • 1951: Australia 14 - France 35
  • 1970: Australia 7 - Great Britain 28
  • 1971: New Zealand 24 - Australia 3

The final was played at Hamilton’s FMG Stadium Waikato on the North Island of New Zealand with an embarrassing Pacific Championship final crowd today of 13,269. The stadium is regarded as the spiritual home of rugby union in Hamilton. Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Have a very nice Sunday.

kind regards
rcw1

Good evening,
rcw1 is in mourning... The kangaroos were belted by the kiwis in the Pacific Championship final 30-0, Australia's biggest loss in Test history ): Australia had belted NZ the week before.... !!!!

Kangaroos' biggest ever losses​

30 points
  • 2023: New Zealand 30 - Australia 0
24 points
  • 1952: Australia 25 - New Zealand 49
  • 2005: Australia 0 - New Zealand 24
23 points
  • 1958: Australia 17 - Great Britain 40
  • 1992: Australia 10 - Great Britain 33
21 points
  • 1951: Australia 14 - France 35
  • 1970: Australia 7 - Great Britain 28
  • 1971: New Zealand 24 - Australia 3

The final was played at Hamilton’s FMG Stadium Waikato on the North Island of New Zealand with an embarrassing Pacific Championship final crowd today of 13,269. The stadium is regarded as the spiritual home of rugby union in Hamilton. Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Have a very nice Sunday.

kind regards
rcw1
I read recently that NZ Rugby League wanted to enter a second team in the NRL and suggested that Hamilton would be a good place to base it

Perhaps Christchurch might be better 🥵

Good afternoon
An update on the V'landys Las Vegas initiative

The NRL’s historic double-header in Las Vegas will be screened live on prime-time American television!!!

Peter V’landys has negotiated a landmark TV deal that will see the Broncos-Roosters and Manly-Souths fixtures in Vegas to kick off the 2024 premiership, broadcast live in the US. This, as has been reported, has the support of News Corp chairman Lachlan Murdoch, who is a passionate fan of the Brisbane Broncos.

A live feed of the NRL double-header at the 65,000-capacity Allegiant Stadium on Saturday, March 2 will be delivered to the American public via Fox Sports 1. The Pay Television provider reaches more than 90 million American homes and has broadcasting tentacles in Puerto Rico and the Caribbean – giving the NRL a population shopfront of 137 million. “It’s a pretty big deal for our fans, it’s very exciting for the sport,” Abdo said. “We’ve previously had NRL games shown on Fox Sports in America, but this will be the first time we’ve had games shown live in prime time on Fox Sports 1. “To get a game of NRL in prime time in America with our partnership with Fox Sports, getting that promotion in America is huge for us. “It gives us exposure and reach for the game to sports-loving Americans. “We are confident that when they see our product, the NRL is something they will have an interest in following.” The Souths-Manly game will be screened live to Americans at 6.30pm, followed by the Broncos-Roosters at 8.30pm.

Cool

Kind regards
rcw1

Good morning
Sad news for rugby league fans ...
Carl Webb lost his 4 - 5 year battle with Motor Neurone Disease.
Carl was 42!!!

In his prime, Webb was one of Queensland's toughest men, playing 187 first-grade games for Broncos, Cowboys and Eels, in a career that included 12 Origin matches for Queensland and one Test for Australia in 2008.
RIP mate

Kind regards
rcw1