Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Leaving Australia (again)

What AI says about Belize:

Belize is considered an appealing destination for some, but whether it's a good place to live depends on individual preferences, lifestyle needs, and expectations. Here are some pros and cons of living in Belize:

Pros:

1. Natural Beauty and Climate:
    • Belize offers a stunning natural environment, including beautiful beaches, coral reefs, rainforests, and mountains. The climate is tropical, warm year-round, making it attractive for those who enjoy outdoor activities and a warm climate.
  2. English-Speaking:
    • English is the official language, which can make integration easier for English-speaking expatriates.
  3. Low Cost of Living:
    • In comparison to the U.S. and many Western countries, the cost of living in Belize can be lower, especially for housing, food, and services in rural or less-developed areas.
  4. Friendly People:
    • Many people find the locals in Belize to be warm, welcoming, and friendly, which can help create a sense of community.
  5. Expat Community:
    • Belize has a growing expatriate community, especially in places like Ambergris Caye and Placencia, making it easier to meet like-minded people and settle in.
  6. Retirement Programs:
    • Belize has favorable retirement incentives, including the Qualified Retirement Program (QRP), which allows retirees to live in Belize tax-free on foreign income if they meet certain criteria.
  7. Adventure and Eco-Tourism:
    • Belize is known for its adventure tourism, with opportunities for scuba diving, snorkeling, hiking, and exploring ancient Mayan ruins.

Cons:

1. Limited Healthcare:
    • While Belize has public and private healthcare, the quality of care may be lower than what is available in more developed countries. Many expats travel to Mexico or the U.S. for major medical treatments.
  2. Infrastructure Challenges:
    • In some areas, especially rural ones, infrastructure like roads, electricity, water, and internet services may be less reliable than in more developed nations.
  3. Crime:
    • Certain areas, particularly in Belize City, have higher crime rates, which can be a concern for both locals and expats. It's important to research and choose safer areas.
  4. Limited Job Opportunities:
    • Belize is not the best place to move if you're seeking employment opportunities. The job market is limited, and wages can be significantly lower than in developed countries.
  5. Tropical Weather Risks:
    • Belize is susceptible to hurricanes and tropical storms, particularly during the Atlantic hurricane season. This can pose risks to property and safety.
  6. Limited Access to Goods and Services:
    • In more remote areas, access to certain goods and services, including imported items, may be limited or expensive.
  7. Bureaucracy:
    • Some expats report frustrations with bureaucracy, including difficulties with immigration, property ownership, and starting businesses.

Conclusion:​

Belize can be a wonderful place to live if you prioritize a relaxed lifestyle, natural beauty, and lower living costs, especially if you are retired or financially independent. However, the limited infrastructure, healthcare, and economic opportunities may make it less attractive to others. It is important to visit the country and do thorough research before deciding to relocate.

4o

too close to USA on one side and narcotrafficates on the other.
It's actually a pretty interesting place, English speaking and in the British Commonwealth. To be sure a bit close to shytholes like Guatemala.... And not 100% sure whether it's proximity to Mexico is a good thing or not.

Proximity to the USA could be a good thing though, though accept that the jury is out on that one.

It's actually the most interesting thing that bas has posted in about the 15 years he's been here :laugh:

What AI says about Belize:

Belize is considered an appealing destination for some, but whether it's a good place to live depends on individual preferences, lifestyle needs, and expectations. Here are some pros and cons of living in Belize:

Pros:

1. Natural Beauty and Climate:
    • Belize offers a stunning natural environment, including beautiful beaches, coral reefs, rainforests, and mountains. The climate is tropical, warm year-round, making it attractive for those who enjoy outdoor activities and a warm climate.
  2. English-Speaking:
    • English is the official language, which can make integration easier for English-speaking expatriates.
  3. Low Cost of Living:
    • In comparison to the U.S. and many Western countries, the cost of living in Belize can be lower, especially for housing, food, and services in rural or less-developed areas.
  4. Friendly People:
    • Many people find the locals in Belize to be warm, welcoming, and friendly, which can help create a sense of community.
  5. Expat Community:
    • Belize has a growing expatriate community, especially in places like Ambergris Caye and Placencia, making it easier to meet like-minded people and settle in.
  6. Retirement Programs:
    • Belize has favorable retirement incentives, including the Qualified Retirement Program (QRP), which allows retirees to live in Belize tax-free on foreign income if they meet certain criteria.
  7. Adventure and Eco-Tourism:
    • Belize is known for its adventure tourism, with opportunities for scuba diving, snorkeling, hiking, and exploring ancient Mayan ruins.

Cons:

1. Limited Healthcare:
    • While Belize has public and private healthcare, the quality of care may be lower than what is available in more developed countries. Many expats travel to Mexico or the U.S. for major medical treatments.
  2. Infrastructure Challenges:
    • In some areas, especially rural ones, infrastructure like roads, electricity, water, and internet services may be less reliable than in more developed nations.
  3. Crime:
    • Certain areas, particularly in Belize City, have higher crime rates, which can be a concern for both locals and expats. It's important to research and choose safer areas.
  4. Limited Job Opportunities:
    • Belize is not the best place to move if you're seeking employment opportunities. The job market is limited, and wages can be significantly lower than in developed countries.
  5. Tropical Weather Risks:
    • Belize is susceptible to hurricanes and tropical storms, particularly during the Atlantic hurricane season. This can pose risks to property and safety.
  6. Limited Access to Goods and Services:
    • In more remote areas, access to certain goods and services, including imported items, may be limited or expensive.
  7. Bureaucracy:
    • Some expats report frustrations with bureaucracy, including difficulties with immigration, property ownership, and starting businesses.

Conclusion:​

Belize can be a wonderful place to live if you prioritize a relaxed lifestyle, natural beauty, and lower living costs, especially if you are retired or financially independent. However, the limited infrastructure, healthcare, and economic opportunities may make it less attractive to others. It is important to visit the country and do thorough research before deciding to relocate.

4o
As someone who has been deep into the next move, belize is enticing BUT has a safety/security issue, petty crime and not much going for it economically with some gangs and serious poverty.
Did not pass my checklist point.
But keen to visit.
Currently top of my list is Panama, even if a bit expensive and linked to USD, which has pro and cons.
For Basilos of the world, look at Costa Rica :
Great place but woke affected and too expensive IMHO .
We have sold the big farm last months,at long last, better half wants to keep attached to Australia..and our son who is turning into a pure true blue suburban Aussie 😭
So we are settling the new place to allow travel .
As often **** hit the fan and inlaws family is treating local ICU as their preferred weekend retreat lately so we have a European family trip on the ASAP list.
Then will follow with another central America and paperwork start.
Hopefully our Australia pesos will still be worth something by then.
But yes Panama or maybe Mexico for me.
One issue: plenty of Americans/Canadians there with their Clinton/Trump divides and diseases.
If you need to work, Mexico maybe? But choose your province well..

As someone who has been deep into the next move, belize is enticing BUT has a safety/security issue, petty crime and not much going for it economically with some gangs and serious poverty.
But keen to visit.
Currently top of my list is Panama, even if a bit expensive and linked to USD, which has pro and cons.
We have sold the big farm last months,at long last, better half wants to keep attached to Australia..and our son who is turning into a pure true blue suburban Aussie 😭
As often **** hit the fan and inlaws family is treating local ICU as their preferred weekend retreat lately so we have a European family trip on the ASAP list.
One issue: plenty of Americans/Canadians there with their Clinton/Trump divides and diseases.
After what happened to two Aussies in Mexico recently, that is definitely out for me.

But maybe if you wear a beret you will be ok. :roflmao:

My brother in law has a place in France, Loire valley, he visits regularly. just got back from the Olympics.
Shoots over to London for the cricket.
That's where I would go if I was wealthy. Still base myself in Australia though.

My brother in law has a place in France, Loire valley, he visits regularly. just got back from the Olympics.
Shoots over to London for the cricket.
That's where I would go if I was wealthy. Still base myself in Australia though.
Good luck to him, keep us informed as how long his place will stay without unwanted visitors.
I would even prefer Mexico....

But keen to visit.

In 1987 Panama city was by far the most dangerous place in Latin America obviously much has changed hopefully.

But keen to visit.
You could go to Venezuela. See article following.

The truth is about all this is that there are always pros and cons of every country that you might like to mention.

There is no perfect country and each of us have likes and dislikes about any economic and political system. Additionally there are cultural and language considerations.

Culturally, both Mrs and I have never felt more at home than in the west and southwest of England (even though neither of us were actually born or grew up there). However there are many factors at the moment which are huge negatives not unlike this place.

That leaves a huge jigsaw puzzle with the rest of the world. Language is a major consideration. Although I can pick up languages pretty easily, especially German and Spanish, Mrs is laughably useless at picking up anything except her originally native Swahili. (She is British heritage in case anybody is wondering).

Perhaps if Elon can get his 4ss into gear, we could go to Mars.

The truth is about all this is that there are always pros and cons of every country that you might like to mention.

There is no perfect country and each of us have likes and dislikes about any economic and political system. Additionally there are cultural and language considerations.

Culturally, both Mrs and I have never felt more at home than in the west and southwest of England (even though neither of us were actually born or grew up there). However there are many factors at the moment which are huge negatives not unlike this place.

That leaves a huge jigsaw puzzle with the rest of the world. Language is a major consideration. Although I can pick up languages pretty easily, especially German and Spanish, Mrs is laughably useless at picking up anything except her originally native Swahili. (She is British heritage in case anybody is wondering).

Perhaps if Elon can get his 4ss into gear, we could go to Mars.
Well I can't comment much being Aussie born and spending most of my life here.

Switzerland or Austria might appeal as may the British Virgjn Islands for tax reasons. Or Fiji.

Trouble is, if you find anywhere really good, a lot of people would have got there before you and stuffed the place up.

Why don't you just go to Sanctuary Cove, they keep the riff raff out I believe.

Culturally, both Mrs and I have never felt more at home than in the west and southwest of England (even though neither of us were actually born or grew up there).
that is an interesting observation in how things resonate or not. For me it has been Scotland but I'm not sure why. Perhaps a reaction against perfidious Albion. I wouldn't want to live there.

With language, I'm visual rather than aural which can be challenging to get beyond the superficial. I do know, however, how to say "My friend will pay the bill " in 47 different languages. And I'm quite fast.

Well I can't comment much being Aussie born and spending most of my life here.

Switzerland or Austria might appeal as may the British Virgjn Islands for tax reasons. Or Fiji.

Trouble is, if you find anywhere really good, a lot of people would have got there before you and stuffed the place up.

Why don't you just go to Sanctuary Cove, they keep the riff raff out I believe.
The best place that we have ever found is a hidden cove at Cape Arid on the South coast of WA.
No house well actually nothing at all except a fisherman 9G tractor there to pull his boat out of the briny.
A magical place quite different to any of the surrounding countryside.

Curacao can be an appealing place to retire for several reasons, but whether it’s a good fit depends on your preferences and needs. Here are some factors to consider:

Pros​

1. Climate: Curacao has a warm, tropical climate year-round with plenty of sunshine and minimal rainfall, which is ideal if you enjoy warm weather and outdoor activities.
  2. Beautiful Scenery: The island offers stunning beaches, clear blue waters, and a diverse marine environment. It’s a great spot for snorkeling, diving, and relaxing by the sea.
  3. Cost of Living: While the cost of living can be high compared to some other regions, it might be more affordable than some popular retirement destinations in Europe or North America.
  4. Safety: Curacao is generally considered safe, with a lower crime rate compared to some other Caribbean islands.
  5. Language: The island is multilingual, with Dutch, Papiamentu (a local Creole language), English, and Spanish spoken. This makes it relatively easy for expats to communicate.
  6. Healthcare: The island has good healthcare facilities, although for more specialized care, you might need to travel to nearby countries.
  7. Tax Benefits: Curacao offers tax incentives for retirees and a relatively favorable tax regime, which can be advantageous depending on your financial situation.

Cons​

1. Cost of Living: Some imported goods can be expensive, and the overall cost of living can be higher compared to some other regions.
  2. Isolation: While Curacao is beautiful, it is relatively isolated. Traveling to and from the island might require long flights and can be expensive.
  3. Hurricanes: The Caribbean is prone to hurricanes, although Curacao is situated outside the main hurricane belt, so it’s less affected compared to other Caribbean islands.
  4. Cultural Adjustments: Adapting to a new culture and environment can be challenging, even in a place with multiple languages and an expat community.
  5. Local Amenities: While Curacao has many amenities, it might not have the same level of services or entertainment options as larger cities or more developed countries.

Overall​

If you love warm weather, beautiful beaches, and a relaxed lifestyle, Curacao might be a great option for retirement. It’s important to visit the island first, if possible, to get a feel for the local culture, amenities, and whether it suits your personal preferences and needs.

No thoughts of going to Russia at all, but this is interesting. I wonder what earnings are like there.

And as an aside, I read somewhere that about 18,000 people have applied for their "asylum program".

No thoughts of going to Russia at all, but this is interesting. I wonder what earnings are like there.

And as an aside, I read somewhere that about 18,000 people have applied for their "asylum program".

I'm sure a yank or Canadian family moved there and documented about how great it was then they moved back again.