• Already own one

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Yes - would definitely buy

Votes: 43 22.1%
  • Yes - preferred over petrol car if price/power/convenience similar

Votes: 78 40.0%
  • Maybe - preference for neither, only concerned with costs etc

Votes: 36 18.5%
  • No - prefer petrol car even if electric car has same price, power and convenience

Votes: 24 12.3%
  • No - would never buy one

Votes: 14 7.2%

• Total voters
Mate, don't even go there about changing my mind.
If the bush aka remote and regional Australia had the same benefits, e.g. services, infrastructure, funding, privileges as you east coasters, our EV discussion wouldn't even be entered into.

Understood.
The Fed Govt. could change this in the future just as it is with Fuel Efficiency Standards.
Reads in part:
I wasn’t trying to change your mind, I literally said “yeah, maybe in your extreme case stick to petrol cars for a few years”

but when you think about it, once the infrastructure is set up EV’s suit remote locations, because regional Australia can make a lot of electricity locally, where as at the moment you guys rely on bringing in oil based fuels from the other side of the world.

picture a few refueling/charging stations powered by a solar and battery system like the one pictured below, it would be much more efficient than bringing in fuel from across the world on ships and trucks, even if you had it backed up by a diesel generator than ran one day a month, or it could just be attached to a grid connection, given it has batteries it wouldn’t need a large capacity grid connection.

don’t you at least think generating your own fuel in the regions rather than bringing it in from overseas is an interesting concept?

IMG_7352.jpeg

Indeed, I actually thought all Tesla sold here now were China sourced?
They are, But I was in the America talking to an American, hence why I said to him they were “All American” eg made in America, Fuelled by America. So they should really appeal to him, turned out that worked, after that he went from being quite aggressively cynical about them, to actually being more curious and asking some good questions.

As the conversation progressed he did let slip that one of the reasons he feared them was because his family worked in the oil business, I assured him that the oil and gas business would still be around for a long time, and that actually the green energy business was good for the natural gas market over the next 20-30 years and that that over time the renewables business will be a big employer too, with lots of high paying jobs and passive income for land owners, his face seemed to brighten as he connected the dots.

Like CO2 but note the latest data is from 2016.
We are 14 on the list in total emissions, but all the countries that emit more than us do so because they have larger populations,

When you switch that Table to a per capita format, eg the emissions per person, it’s basically only oil states that are worse than us.

It shows we have a lot of room for improvement.

All good VC.
Producing locally already. We have solar and wind farms out here, from memory both are AGL.

Canandian mob Hydorstar currently transforming an old mine for its Advanced Compressed Air Energy Storage (A-CAES) project.

Reads in part:
ARENA’s funding for the Silver City Energy Storage Project, developed by Hydrostor, is conditional upon the project reaching financial close, which is expected to occur in late 2023. Once built, the project will be one of the world’s largest compressed air projects, providing at least 8 hours of storage.
As of 8 Dec 2023

Australian town to host 200 MW/1,600 MWh compressed air storage facility

Canada’s Hydrostor has struck a deal to provide backup power to a remote town in the Australian state of New South Wales by using a compressed air energy storage plant that will be built in an underground cavern at one of the region’s closed mines.

Hydrostor has reached an agreement with New South Wales transmission network operator Transgrid that will see the proposed 200 MW/1,600 MWh Silver City Energy Storage Project support the reliability of electricity supply for Broken Hill by as early as 2027.
Concludes with:
“In Australia’s regional towns at the fringe of the grid such as Broken Hill, new large scale storage technologies can provide back-up power to communities that will improve the reliability of electricity supply. Having more grid scale storage will also support more solar and wind in regional areas,” he said.

That 8hr supply will certainly help with the long outages we have out here from time to time.

Why chose our location for this project?
Stable, hard rock geology plus, lots of mining projects wanting to get up and running, all requiring reliable energy.

Christ, with the current Green Transition all abuzz, there was even talk of building a slurry pipeline to send ore for treatment into the smelters and ports down to Port Pirie and surrounds in Sth Aust.

Big ore deposits, big ideas, big money, all looking for big ROC/ROI.

Back to EV.
I certainly acknowledge that EV is an inevitable part of and a positive for change.

All good VC.
Producing locally already. We have solar and wind farms out here, from memory both are AGL.

Canandian mob Hydorstar currently transforming an old mine for its Advanced Compressed Air Energy Storage (A-CAES) project.

Reads in part:

As of 8 Dec 2023

Concludes with:

That 8hr supply will certainly help with the long outages we have out here from time to time.

Why chose our location for this project?
Stable, hard rock geology plus, lots of mining projects wanting to get up and running, all requiring reliable energy.

Christ, with the current Green Transition all abuzz, there was even talk of building a slurry pipeline to send ore for treatment into the smelters and ports down to Port Pirie and surrounds in Sth Aust.

Big ore deposits, big ideas, big money, all looking for big ROC/ROI.

Back to EV.
I certainly acknowledge that EV is an inevitable part of and a positive for change.
One day, instead of billions of dollars a year flowing out of our cities of Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane to Over Seas Oil Cartels, will have that cash flowing into the regions of Australia that produce the renewable electricity and fuel that feeds into our cities.

It will be the same story here that I explained to that Good ol’ boy from Kentucky, Land owners and working people in the regions and their communities should see dollars flowing their way that would normally head to the Oil cartels.

As is always the case in the industry, the premium vehicles introduce the technology and sell, and then that technology trickles down. Volvo is going full steam ahead with BEVs.

Volvo charging on with electric swap despite slowing demand

he boss of Chinese-owned Swedish brand Volvo says he isn’t worried about signs electric vehicle (EV) demand is in decline, despite his company’s vow to ditch petrol and diesel power by 2030.

According to Automotive News Europe, Volvo Cars CEO Jim Rowan told investors during an earnings call that the brand’s “premium” positioning makes it less vulnerable.

“The mass-market segment maybe has been affected by some companies not getting to price parity with ICE,” Mr Rowan said, as reported by Automotive News Europe.

“In the premium segment, we don’t see that. We see the premium segment growing, and we are taking market share.

“We are the highest premium BEV [battery electric vehicle] share company, and we have the highest published BEV margins in the EV sector other than Tesla.”

Volvo has previously announced its plans to become fully electric globally by 2030, while its Australian division has committed to an even more ambitious timeline of only selling EVs by 2026.

But EV demand in the US, the world’s second-largest new car market, is flagging.

Automotive News Europe reports total US EV inventory – which is a reflection of how long supply can match demand if production came to a halt – was at 113 days at the end of 2023, an increase of 92 per cent on the year prior and above the industry average of 69 days.

In Australia, EV sales increased by 161 per cent last year, with 87,217 battery-powered vehicles reported as sold throughout 2023.

While the 4893 EVs sold in January 2024 represented an increase of just 0.8 per cent on the same month a year prior, a delay in deliveries for market leader Tesla is behind the relatively minor jump.

Volvo already has two EVs in Australian showrooms – an electric version of the XC40 and its ‘coupe’ C40 sibling – though its upcoming EX30 small SUV and EX90 large flagship SUV will headline its transition to exclusively battery power.

The Volvo EX30 will launch this year with a base price of $59,990 before on-road costs, becoming the brand’s least-expensive EV in Australia.

The upcoming Volvo EX90 is slated to arrive in showrooms before the end of 2024, being sold alongside its petrol-powered XC90 counterpart – though likely with a higher price tag.

Last edited:
That was a good article I thought.

I saw a road test of a KIA EV9. Seems like a good car but...at $120k it's a rotten deal.

Sure you will save of fuel costs but that is just too much for a family car.
Especially when you consider the ICE equivalent, the KIA Carnivale , has a base model at $47k.
my son desperately wanted to use a Novated lease for the EV9 (for tax purposes naturally), but the credit co's says his credit was already running thin after all the housing loan repayments.
Going to keep running his dodgy 1997 Range Rover diesel until interest rates come down.
And before any of the Tesla owners chime in and ask why he does not lease a Tesla, he has three kid all in booster seats, a pram and a dog.
Mick

That was a good article I thought.

I saw a road test of a KIA EV9. Seems like a good car but...at $120k it's a rotten deal.

Sure you will save of fuel costs but that is just too much for a family car.

I checked that out. The $120 k version is the GT souped up deal. The base version is $97k and certainly not shabby in terms of range and power. Having said that the Kia website quoted an extra $10k for drive away pricing.

Four hydrogen fuel vehicles sold last year, probably to government fleet.

You sound like an ICE driver, talking about how many EV's sold 20 years ago. ;)

When was the first electric car sold in Australia?

Australia's first electric car: The Blade Electron

The Blade Electron was an Australian electric car produced in Victoria between 2008 and 2014. Based on a Hyundai Getz, powered by a 55kW electric motor, with an approximate range of 120 kilometres.

I think it is another sign of the EV current fall of grace, give it a year and we will be in a different mindset with more realism.
I think it is actually beneficial to real advances and a more prosaic scientic and technological approach.
I am afraid the same will not be followed on the whole power grid approach, and absolutely brain-dead decisions on wind and solar farms approaches.
EVs still have some people spending their own cash, and so involved in the ROI..whereas for the grid, governing bodies use your taxes, and your children's and yet to be born grandchildren's...