• Already own one

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Yes - would definitely buy

Votes: 43 22.1%
  • Yes - preferred over petrol car if price/power/convenience similar

Votes: 78 40.0%
  • Maybe - preference for neither, only concerned with costs etc

Votes: 36 18.5%
  • No - prefer petrol car even if electric car has same price, power and convenience

Votes: 24 12.3%
  • No - would never buy one

Votes: 14 7.2%

• Total voters
Bullet Test on Cyber Truck, I wonder how many gun nuts in the USA will want a cyber truck after they see the bullets splatter against the side of it, but rip through the doors of a Regualr pick up.

The slow motion of the bullets splatter is almost artistic, hahaha

I know I should not bother playing your one upmanship games , but I will always call out BS when I see it.
if you look at the the original site where I quoted the figures, you can highlight the F -series and see that it only includes the light and medium duty trucks, the F150, F-250 and F-350.
The pickups in the F-series do not include any commercials trucks like the " f-450, f-550 etc " as you suggest.
Mick

:whistling: don't let facts get in the way of VCs poor reading skills :D

Even if you only include those three models from the Fseries, it’s still no different than including the model 3 and Y together.

As I said the Model 3 and Y are built on the same platform, same battery, same motors, same seats, same interior etc and are basically just a variation of the same model, one is sedan one is hatch back with a slightly larger cabin, that’s the only difference,

Counting the 3 & Y together is no different than counting the different f series together.

Did you know there are 6 versions of the F-150 alone? So the F-series has like 12 different models in total.

————————
None of this really bothers me, I don’t really care how many F-series are sold. All I am pointing out is that if you really want to compare which series of models are out selling others, you should probably count the 3 and Y together if you are going to count the f-150 f-250 and f350 together.
My original article was about how the US buyers prefer pickup trucks of any and all makes by a significant margin, and ford was at the top,
You bought in the straw man argument that I need consolidate various models to get a true picture, then you say you don't care.
Mick

My original article was about how the US buyers prefer pickup trucks of any and all makes by a significant margin, and ford was at the top,
Even that point is wrong, the most popular class of vehicles in the USA is SUV’s not pickups.

As I said , since the top place was taken by ford because they consolidated all their f-series, I was simply pointing out that if you consolidated the 3 and y they would be in second place,

if you don’t think that sort of data correction is valid, well I wish you luck with your investing, because you are going to be mislead by statistics, and guys like me will eat your lunch.

IMG_9834.jpeg

:whistling: don't let facts get in the way of VCs poor reading skills :D
As I have shown, the facts are

1, pickup trucks are not the most popular vehicle type in general in the USA, the SUV is the biggest selling class followed by cars.

2, the F-series pickups, is a consolidation of 3 different models which boosts its numbers. the F-150 for example only makes up 3.7% of total vehicle sales, if you consolidated other models of similar build you would get a different graph.

So maybe it’s you that’s letting your headline reading stopping you seeing the real facts of the situation.

Even that point is wrong, the most popular class of vehicles in the USA is SUV’s not pickups.

As I said , since the top place was taken by ford because they consolidated all their f-series, I was simply pointing out that if you consolidated the 3 and y they would be in second place,

if you don’t think that sort of data correction is valid, well I wish you luck with your investing, because you are going to be mislead by statistics, and guys like me will eat your lunch.

View attachment 166871
As usual, you don't quote where you get your figures from.
From Statista , where the last two full years, 2021 and 2022 are shown.
1702006532480.png
crossover vehicles, not SUV's are biggest segment.
And for both the years quoted, Pickup's outsold SUV's nearly 2 to 1.
Go back and read the original thread post, the top three selling vehicles so far in 2023 are all pick up trucks.

Mick

As I have shown, the facts are

1, pickup trucks are not the most popular vehicle type in general in the USA, the SUV is the biggest selling class followed by cars.

2, the F-series pickups, is a consolidation of 3 different models which boosts its numbers. the F-150 for example only makes up 3.7% of total vehicle sales, if you consolidated other models of similar build you would get a different graph.

So maybe it’s you that’s letting your headline reading stopping you seeing the real facts of the situation.

:roflmao::roflmao: you totaly lost the debate with mullo but I have t give you a point for determination when defeated 🖖 Full marks to mullo for correct answers 🌟interesting fact Americans like their Crossovers 🚙

interesting fact Americans like their Crossovers 🚙
Yes, but "Mullo's" original claim was that Pickups were the biggest category, but as he has now realised its Crossovers, which are basically SUV's and manufacturers and consumers use the terms SUV's and Crossovers interchangeably.

So how did I lose the debate? (although I wouldn't call it a debate)

View attachment 166880
Go back and read the original thread post, the top three selling vehicles so far in 2023 are all pick up trucks.

Mick
So, Thank you for finally admitting that
View attachment 166880

Mick
Oh, Mullo... you are doing it again>

Thanks for finally realising that pickups are not the biggest category.

But now I need to to realise another point, the Term "Crossover" and "SUV" are often used interchangeably by both manufacturers and consumers, and I doubt most people can tell them apart.

Also your graph breaks up "Cars" into Small, midsized, luxury and large, if you combine them all into one category eg Cars, they beat pickups.

——————-
Take a look at the photo, two SUV’s and Two Crossovers, I think there is less difference in these vehicles than between a F-150 and an F-350.

IMG_9835.jpeg

Yes, but "Mullo's" original claim was that Pickups were the biggest category, but as he has now realised its Crossovers, which are basically SUV's and manufacturers and consumers use the terms SUV's and Crossovers interchangeably.

So how did I lose the debate? (although I wouldn't call it a debate)

:whistling: you lost again :D quit before you make an even bigger fool of yourself :wheniwasaboy:

:whistling: you lost again :D quit before you make an even bigger fool of yourself :wheniwasaboy:
lost what? is pickups the biggest category?

I think you need to go back and re-read the posts, you are confused.

I spend quite a bit of time in the USA, and I can tell you just from my experience of driving there that pickups aren't the main vehicle on the road, its SUV's (or if you want to get fancy call them crossover SUV's), but the simple fact is its not Pickups by a long shot.

To be honest I can't remember ever seeing an actual post that was good, so if you keep carrying on I might just have to block you.

So, Thank you for finally admitting that

Oh, Mullo... you are doing it again>

Thanks for finally realising that pickups are not the biggest category.

But now I need to to realise another point, the Term "Crossover" and "SUV" are often used interchangeably by both manufacturers and consumers, and I doubt most people can tell them apart.

Also your graph breaks up "Cars" into Small, midsized, luxury and large, if you combine them all into one category eg Cars, they beat pickups.

——————-
Take a look at the photo, two SUV’s and Two Crossovers, I think there is less difference in these vehicles than between a F-150 and an F-350.

View attachment 166881
You might use crossover and SUV interchangeably, but the manufactures do not.
Both in this link Toyota and Mitsubishi, a couple of fairly big manufacturers say

It's All About The Platform​

The only major difference between an SUV and a crossover is the frame. If one is based on a truck's platform, it's an SUV, but if it's based on a car's platform, it's a crossover. This means that an SUV has a body-on-frame design while all crossovers are considered unibody vehicles.

Unique Platforms​

A crossover's body and frame are built in a single piece. This is called unibody construction. This design provides a better ride quality and, because it's lighter, generally achieves better fuel efficiency. Sport-Utility Vehicles, better known as SUVs, use a body-on-frame design. That means the frame and body are built separately and joined together during the manufacturing process. These truck-based vehicles are generally more rugged and can be used to haul larger payloads. That's not to say, however, that you can't tow with a crossover.

This all started because as damn near every other post, you want to bring every discussion on EV's back to Tesla because you own one.
My original post said the top three selling cars in the US were Pickups, and by some distance.
I did not lump all pickups together, but you want to create your own statsout of thin air.
Mick

Both in this link Toyota and Mitsubishi, a couple of fairly big manufacturers say

This all started because as damn near every other post, you want to bring every discussion on EV's back to Tesla because you own one.
My original post said the top three selling cars in the US were Pickups, and by some distance.
I did not lump all pickups together, but you want to create your own statsout of thin air.
Mick
Just put them on ignore, no one needs to deal with antagonists on a Friday arvo. ;)

Just put them on ignore, no one needs to deal with antagonists on a Friday arvo. ;)
Yeah, there is an ignore function on ASF, but then you miss the 1 in 100 posts when they say something useful.
It is also makes some threads disjointed where you only hear half the conversation.
There are a number of posters that I just don't bother to respond to, but I can still choose whether to read the posts.

Mick

Mick
1, Many manufacturers do use the term crossover and SUV interchangeably, Tesla’s model Y would be a crossover strictly speaking, but it’s marketed as a “midsized SUV”. Many other manufacturers market their “crossovers the same way”. Even the source I quoted clearly was calling the cross over class suv.

Volvo does the same, see below

2, You didn’t just say the top selling cars were pickups, you said they reigned supreme, and later said they were the most popular in general.

My posts have just been trying to point out some of the details you missed.

I am not sure why you are dragging this on, you clearly thought that pickups as a class out sold all others, clearly they don’t, just take the lesson and move on.

IMG_9836.jpeg
IMG_9837.jpeg

I can honestly say I haven’t been trying to be an antagonist, I was generally just trying to point out that the pickup sales quoted in the graph didn’t give the full picture and were misleading him.

If you read back through the posts you should see I have a valid point, and if he didn’t get defensive he might have been able to learn something and get a better mental model of what is actually happening in the market.

I love it when people can point out things I am incorrect on and improve my mental model, no need to get defensive and try and blur the lines.

That's just VCs style. Everyone has their idiosyncrasies.

Now that you lot have stopped splitting hairs, how do the evs handle this heatwave?

Do the batteries struggle in the heat?

Now that you lot have stopped splitting hairs, how do the evs handle this heatwave?

Doesn’t affect the batteries at all, they have their owning cooling system.

But, it’s great to have an EV in a heat wave, you can have the aircon running and not have to be running a big petrol engine, you can leave the aircon running to keep the car cool if you have sensitive stuff in the car like a pet, frozen food or your drink, or you can use the app to cool your car before you arrive back.

The cold weather appears to affects the range a lot more than hot weather. They all have battery cooling systems and if you live In a cold climate country they actually fit battery warming equipment, usually heat pump variety.