• Already own one

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Yes - would definitely buy

Votes: 43 22.1%
  • Yes - preferred over petrol car if price/power/convenience similar

Votes: 78 40.0%
  • Maybe - preference for neither, only concerned with costs etc

Votes: 36 18.5%
  • No - prefer petrol car even if electric car has same price, power and convenience

Votes: 24 12.3%
  • No - would never buy one

Votes: 14 7.2%

• Total voters
The cold weather appears to affects the range a lot more than hot weather. They all have battery cooling systems and if you live In a cold climate country they actually fit battery warming equipment, usually heat pump variety.
Older Tesla’s (like mine), don’t have a heat pump to warm the cabin, so rely on resistance heaters, that uses a bit of power if you want to really heat the cabin.

But I can work around it by just using the heated seats instead for the 2 weeks a year it gets cold here in QLD

But the newer models have a heap pump, which apparently works pretty efficiently.

Older Tesla’s (like mine), don’t have a heat pump to warm the cabin, so rely on resistance heaters, that uses a bit of power if you want to really heat the cabin.

But I can work around it by just using the heated seats instead for the 2 weeks a year it gets cold here in QLD

But the newer models have a heap pump, which apparently works pretty efficiently.
I think @moXJO was asking about battery performance In hot weather, rather than cabin heating.

As I have shown, the facts are

1, pickup trucks are not the most popular vehicle type in general in the USA, the SUV is the biggest selling class followed by cars.

2, the F-series pickups, is a consolidation of 3 different models which boosts its numbers. the F-150 for example only makes up 3.7% of total vehicle sales, if you consolidated other models of similar build you would get a different graph.

So maybe it’s you that’s letting your headline reading stopping you seeing the real facts of the situation.

:laugh: Google does not make one an expert :wheniwasaboy:

That's what I do and as I've said it works for me

I have only used recharging stations twice in 13 months of ownership, as I said the wife and I are going to Kalgoorlie in two weeks, we are taking the train. You can't be more efficient than that.
If I need to rent a car will I rent an EV? hell no.

There are a lot of things that aren't green and there are a lot of greenies who drive ICE cars, live in McMansions with huge A/C units.
The wife and I have an EV, five electric bikes, two electric scooters, an electric lawnmower, edger, chainsaw, whipper snipper, trimmer, all my power tools are battery operated, I'm not a greenie it is just that I have solar on my places and it works for me that's all.
I know I'm not changing the climate, I'm not stupid, the greenies that get out of their ICE car or get off the ICE bus and glue themselves to the road are.
But hey everyone to their own, the Government will do whatever they think will get them into office, when they stuff up the very same thing that got them in, gets them out.
Life goes on, allow for the worst and hope for the best is my motto. :xyxthumbs
The Government is going to spend mind bending tax payers money on the transition to renewables, can I change that? No. Will it work, well not if every country doesn't follow suit.

Can I mitigate the cost to me? Well you and my son have, by being off grid.
But if you are in suburbia you will have limited options, other than use the electricity for your own consumption as in charging the EV, tools etc.
Life moves on, who knows what it will look like in 20 years, the cassette tape has come and gone, the CD has come and gone, the DVD has just about gone.
Don't get too hung up on today, is my advice.
Will EV's work, who knows? If they don't they don't. but if it works for you, why not?
Same as you and the son going off grid, it wouldn't work for me I'm in suburbia, same as an EV doesn't work for him he is on 100 acres in the country he has a diesel car and a diesel ute.
I'm in suburbia I have an EV and am on grid, that's life, it doesn't make me a greenie and it doesn't make me a bad person, just makes me someone who is trying to smooth out their spending and hassles. :xyxthumbs
EV for suburban use had made sense for more than 20 years , but hardly any uptake ( or preparedness )

what doesn't make sense is the headlong rush to EVs now especially as infrastructure is lacking/old, or crumbling , a bit like giving a hobo a new tie and nothing else to dress him up

That's just VCs style. Everyone has their idiosyncrasies.

Now that you lot have stopped splitting hairs, how do the evs handle this heatwave?

Do the batteries struggle in the heat?

Depends. My wife and I drive our 2022 Tesla M3 LR with the climate control on all the time, and my wife has the heated seats on almost always. Batteries are more efficient with some heat, whereas cold reduces efficiency. I do notice a drop in range during wet and cold long-distance drives, but I believe that most of that is due to drag caused by tyres and water on the road.

Early Tesla's had a poor heater design which chew quite a bit of energy. Later models, such as ours, use a heat pump which is basically a reverse cycle A/C system, much more efficient but still a drain on power just like any A/C system in any vehicle.

Last edited:
On the subject of Tesla and range, there has been a bit of annoyance at Tesla being over optimistic.
I know a mate of mine, who has a model 3 and a model Y got a bit of a shock, when I asked him how the model Y went on the trip to Kalgoorlie. He said that it was ok he arrived in Merredin with 16% left in the battery, I told him I read an 'Inside EV'report and they said the Tesla was up to 12% over estimating range, that shocked him.
Well it looks like the issue has hit mainstream news, it isn't a problem if you know about it, but if the person believes the GOM (guesso meter) range they could run out.
The Tesla is a great car IMO probably the best EV currently on the market, but they should try and make the GOM more accurately reflect the true range.
The last article in this post is extremely comprehensive and explains the theory very well.

Tesla is under fire following a special report which alleges the company specifically installed software designed to overestimate the driving range displayed to drivers, while also employing underhand tactics to handle thousands of customer complaints.
A damning report from news outlet Reuters alleges Tesla "rigged" dashboard readouts of the estimated driving range on its electric cars, according to information provided by an unnamed source.
The insider – who claims to have seen an early version of the modified software – alleges Tesla vehicles would overestimate the distance the car could travel when it had more than 50 per cent charge.

Once the battery charge level fell below half, only then would the vehicle allegedly show realistic driving range projections.
The insider said the decision to show the "rosy" projections was made around a decade ago, when Tesla was only selling the Roadster sports car and the Model S large sedan.

It's not known whether the same algorithm has been added to the Model 3 and Model Y, or if it was fitted to Australian-delivered vehicles.
The report also claims Tesla more recently put together a "Diversion Team" in Las Vegas – specifically created to cancel the appointments of customers who had booked in their cars with service departments for range-related complaints.
The ability to book a service appointment based on complaints of driving range was later removed from the Tesla app in the US – customers could however request a Tesla representative contact them.

This from an Aussie with no skin in the game:

From the article:

Range​

The range is fine. When I reviewed the much shorter range of Electric Mini, I tried to point out that even if a total idiot heads out on a long day trip without knowing where public chargers are or even how to use them, it’s still fine. But some people took it the wrong way and thought I was saying its range wasn’t nearly enough. The Model 3 SR+ has much more range than the Electric Mini and can charge faster so — for the majority of drivers — range won’t be a problem.

Unfortunately, the 490 km range Tesla was giving for the Model 3 SR+ on their Australian site until a few days ago is absolute bull****.

This is a very informative article for the technically minded:

Last edited:
On the subject of Tesla and range, there has been a bit of annoyance at Tesla being over optimistic.
I know a mate of mine, who has a model 3 and a model Y got a bit of a shock, when I asked him how the model Y went on the trip to Kalgoorlie. He said that it was ok he arrived in Merredin with 16% left in the battery, I told him I read an 'Inside EV'report and they said the Tesla was up to 12% over estimating range, that shocked him.
Well it looks like the issue has hit mainstream news, it isn't a problem if you know about it, but if the person believes the GOM (guesso meter) range they could run out.
The Tesla is a great car IMO probably the best EV currently on the market, but they should try and make the GOM more accurately reflect the true range.
The last article in this post is extremely comprehensive and explains the theory very well.

Tesla is under fire following a special report which alleges the company specifically installed software designed to overestimate the driving range displayed to drivers, while also employing underhand tactics to handle thousands of customer complaints.
A damning report from news outlet Reuters alleges Tesla "rigged" dashboard readouts of the estimated driving range on its electric cars, according to information provided by an unnamed source.
The insider – who claims to have seen an early version of the modified software – alleges Tesla vehicles would overestimate the distance the car could travel when it had more than 50 per cent charge.

Once the battery charge level fell below half, only then would the vehicle allegedly show realistic driving range projections.
The insider said the decision to show the "rosy" projections was made around a decade ago, when Tesla was only selling the Roadster sports car and the Model S large sedan.

It's not known whether the same algorithm has been added to the Model 3 and Model Y, or if it was fitted to Australian-delivered vehicles.
The report also claims Tesla more recently put together a "Diversion Team" in Las Vegas – specifically created to cancel the appointments of customers who had booked in their cars with service departments for range-related complaints.
The ability to book a service appointment based on complaints of driving range was later removed from the Tesla app in the US – customers could however request a Tesla representative contact them.

This from an Aussie with no skin in the game:

From the article:

Range​

The range is fine. When I reviewed the much shorter range of Electric Mini, I tried to point out that even if a total idiot heads out on a long day trip without knowing where public chargers are or even how to use them, it’s still fine. But some people took it the wrong way and thought I was saying its range wasn’t nearly enough. The Model 3 SR+ has much more range than the Electric Mini and can charge faster so — for the majority of drivers — range won’t be a problem.

Unfortunately, the 490 km range Tesla was giving for the Model 3 SR+ on their Australian site until a few days ago is absolute bull****.

This is a very informative article for the technically minded:

Range is subjective of all vehicles, but more so with EVs.

Range​

The WLTP standard can be useful in comparing ranges among electric vehicles. Ranges listed as “estimate” or “est.”, like those under wheel and seating selections, if available, are estimations based on your chosen configuration.

Actual range may vary based on factors such as speed, weather conditions and elevation change.​

1702272898310.png

Range is subjective of all vehicles, but more so with EVs.

Range​

The WLTP standard can be useful in comparing ranges among electric vehicles. Ranges listed as “estimate” or “est.”, like those under wheel and seating selections, if available, are estimations based on your chosen configuration.​
Actual range may vary based on factors such as speed, weather conditions and elevation change.​

View attachment 167059

Yes John, I think the manufacturers should put more time into the range estimation software, I'm sure they could work out better algorithms than they currently have. Everything makes a difference, but sample rates and more inputs should be able to give better estimates I would have thought.
I know with mine, I really have to make a conservative guess before I take the trip, conditions, climate, terrain, load etc.
It could leave someone in a bad situation, if their range is less than what the meter says, I think it would be far better to have the range underestimated than over estimated.
I suppose it one of those things that will get worked out over time.

Yes John, I think the manufacturers should put more time into the range estimation software, I'm sure they could work out better algorithms than they currently have. Everything makes a difference, but sample rates and more inputs should be able to give better estimates I would have thought.
I know with mine, I really have to make a conservative guess before I take the trip, conditions, climate, terrain, load etc.
It could leave someone in a bad situation, if their range is less than what the meter says, I think it would be far better to have the range underestimated than over estimated.
I suppose it one of those things that will get worked out over time.
I do find that the Tesla is pretty spot on most of the time, if you put a destination into GPS it tells you the % of battery you should have when you arrive, and it seems to take into account all sorts of factors because it always seems to be correct or very close like within a few points.

I do find that the Tesla is pretty spot on most of the time, if you put a destination into GPS it tells you the % of battery you should have when you arrive, and it seems to take into account all sorts of factors because it always seems to be correct or very close like within a few points.
Well I would think with their over the air connection, they would be privy to a huge amount of data, so getting the accuracy improved shouldn't be difficult.
But a lot of people complain and the tests carried out by independents does confirm over estimation, why they do it it is probably more detrimental than benificial, when they have such a strong product.

Well I would think with their over the air connection, they would be privy to a huge amount of data, so getting the accuracy improved shouldn't be difficult.
But a lot of people complain and the tests carried out by independents does confirm over estimation, why they do it it is probably more detrimental than benificial, when they have such a strong product.
It depends what you mean.

Eg. Do you mean the “rated range” is over estimated,

That’s not what I was Talking about, I am talking about when you hop in the car with say 79% battery left, and plug your destination into the GPS and it say you will arrive with 16% remaining.

That est is normally very accurate, and it seems to account for things like weather, traffic etc etc.

But that’s a different thing to “rated range” or what the advertising material says, which is based on standardised tests under control conditions.

It depends what you mean.

Eg. Do you mean the “rated range” is over estimated,

That’s not what I was Talking about, I am talking about when you hop in the car with say 79% battery left, and plug your destination into the GPS and it say you will arrive with 16% remaining.

That est is normally very accurate, and it seems to account for things like weather, traffic etc etc.

But that’s a different thing to “rated range” or what the advertising material says, which is based on standardised tests under control conditions.
I'm only saying, what most people are saying.
That what the car is saying, isn't what they are actually getting.
As @JohnDe says, it is very dependant on terrain, climatic conditions, how much load the car is carrying and what electrical accessories you are using.
Obviously non of those factors affect your car, which obviously is special and is obviously influenced by your share holding, which is understandable. :xyxthumbs

For those who've argued the case for hydrogen in heavy vehicles, Tasmania's doing a trial of electric and separately hydrogen (fuel cell) buses in comparable use on regular public transport routes.

• Battery Electric Bus Trial(Launceston)
    • Four Battery Electric Buses (BEBs) will operate on a wide range of existing Metro routes for two years, commencing in late 2023. A BEB is powered by an electric motor with the energy coming from on-board batteries. Mains power electricity is used to charge the batteries through chargers, which will be installed in Metro’s Launceston depot

• Fuel Cell Electric Bus Trial(Hobart)
    • Three Fuel Cell Electric Buses (FCEBs) will operate on a wide range of existing Metro routes for three years, commencing in mid 2024. A FCEB is also powered by an electric motor, with hydrogen gas used as the fuel. The hydrogen is converted to electricity on-board through a fuel-cell. The ‘exhaust’ from a FCEB is water, coming out as steam. The FCEBs will be refuelled at a hydrogen refuelling station, which will be installed at Metro’s Mornington depot.
Note - Mornington is in suburban Hobart. Metro Tasmania is a state government owned entity and the main operator of urban public transport in the state, primarily in Hobart and Launceston.

Electrical capacity of the hydrogen electrolyser is planned to be 700kW for the specific purpose of fuelling these buses.

It's a proper trial in that the buses will be used in the normal manner carrying passengers on normal routes. My understanding being they plan to rotate them over different routes during the trial - so inner city, longer runs to the outer suburbs, routes with hills and those without, etc.

And also much the same is being done in SA. New electric bus has arrived and as with the Tasmanian trial will be used on normal route service carrying passengers.

Mile End depot is an existing bus depot just outside the Adelaide CBD. :2twocents

For those who've argued the case for hydrogen in heavy vehicles, Tasmania's doing a trial of electric and separately hydrogen (fuel cell) buses in comparable use on regular public transport routes.

• Battery Electric Bus Trial(Launceston)
    • Four Battery Electric Buses (BEBs) will operate on a wide range of existing Metro routes for two years, commencing in late 2023. A BEB is powered by an electric motor with the energy coming from on-board batteries. Mains power electricity is used to charge the batteries through chargers, which will be installed in Metro’s Launceston depot

• Fuel Cell Electric Bus Trial(Hobart)
    • Three Fuel Cell Electric Buses (FCEBs) will operate on a wide range of existing Metro routes for three years, commencing in mid 2024. A FCEB is also powered by an electric motor, with hydrogen gas used as the fuel. The hydrogen is converted to electricity on-board through a fuel-cell. The ‘exhaust’ from a FCEB is water, coming out as steam. The FCEBs will be refuelled at a hydrogen refuelling station, which will be installed at Metro’s Mornington depot.
Note - Mornington is in suburban Hobart. Metro Tasmania is a state government owned entity and the main operator of urban public transport in the state, primarily in Hobart and Launceston.

Electrical capacity of the hydrogen electrolyser is planned to be 700kW for the specific purpose of fuelling these buses.

It's a proper trial in that the buses will be used in the normal manner carrying passengers on normal routes. My understanding being they plan to rotate them over different routes during the trial - so inner city, longer runs to the outer suburbs, routes with hills and those without, etc.

And also much the same is being done in SA. New electric bus has arrived and as with the Tasmanian trial will be used on normal route service carrying passengers.

Mile End depot is an existing bus depot just outside the Adelaide CBD. :2twocents
It will be interesting to see the time base for refueling between the two, I would expect the battery buses to be lot better in the suburban deployment as regenerative braking would help.
Hopefully they get the opportunity to use them on longer runs at higher speeds, to see if there is any advantage in the hydrogen model, when used in that scenario.
Trust Tassie to do the heavy lifting. :xyxthumbs

It will be interesting to see the time base for refueling between the two, I would expect the battery buses to be lot better in the suburban deployment as regenerative braking would help.
Hopefully they get the opportunity to use them on longer runs at higher speeds, to see if there is any advantage in the hydrogen model, when used in that scenario.
For bus transport, H2 or ammonia hybrids could good:
A bit like rubbish trucks are ideal for EV, a bus keeps doing start stop so an hybrid would benefit from braking recharge, and H2 cell or ammonia ice would allow nearly 24/7 runs..

I'm only saying, what most people are saying.
That what the car is saying, isn't what they are actually getting.
As @JohnDe says, it is very dependant on terrain, climatic conditions, how much load the car is carrying and what electrical accessories you are using.
Obviously non of those factors affect your car, which obviously is special and is obviously influenced by your share holding, which is understandable. :xyxthumbs
I don’t think you understand what I am saying, have another read of my last two posts.

I am asking you which of the range estimates you are talking about there are two.

1. “The rated range” eg what the brochure says the car will do, of course your actual experience will fluctuate wildly depending on what you are doing.

Or

2. You personal vehicles calculation that it makes for you that day (maybe your car doesn’t do this). When you plug in your destination into the GPS.

I will take a photo of what I mean today.

Basically number 2 is very accurate, number 1 is not.

If they install a small battery on the hydrogen buses, they should be able to do regen braking too.

Because hydrogen vehicles are still just EV’s