• Already own one

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Yes - would definitely buy

Votes: 43 22.1%
  • Yes - preferred over petrol car if price/power/convenience similar

Votes: 78 40.0%
  • Maybe - preference for neither, only concerned with costs etc

Votes: 36 18.5%
  • No - prefer petrol car even if electric car has same price, power and convenience

Votes: 24 12.3%
  • No - would never buy one

Votes: 14 7.2%

• Total voters
I’m reminded of a story my father told me. He did his motor mechanic apprenticeship with a well known prestigious company. When he was qualified he and a mate thought that automatic transmissions were going to be big, they both got a job with Borg Warner and learnt everything they could about automatic transmissions. Dad was exceptional in understanding and repairing auto’s, so much so that when Japanese vehicle manufacturers technicians came to assess the reason some of their transmissions were failing my father was one of the team members that was involved with the meeting. When the time was right, dad and his mate opened a transmission repair business. And most of the older technicians and mechanics they knew told them that they were crazy “automatics will never take off”. They were wrong and because of their thinking not many people took the initiative to learn automatic transmissions. My dad’s business was a huge success.

Today you’d be hard pressed finding a manual car.

I’m reminded of a story my father told me. He did his motor mechanic apprenticeship with a well known prestigious company. When he was qualified he and a mate thought that automatic transmissions were going to be big, they both got a job with Borg Warner and learnt everything they could about automatic transmissions. Dad was exceptional in understanding and repairing auto’s, so much so that when Japanese vehicle manufacturers technicians came to assess the reason some of their transmissions were failing my father was one of the team members that was involved with the meeting. When the time was right, dad and his mate opened a transmission repair business. And most of the older technicians and mechanics they knew told them that they were crazy “automatics will never take off”. They were wrong and because of their thinking not many people took the initiative to learn automatic transmissions. My dad’s business was a huge success.

Today you’d be hard pressed finding a manual car.
John De would have to go back quite a few years to find a manual stick car ex production line.

Between movies and music there’s plenty of content that doesn’t exist on any streaming service.

To the more relevant point of airlines and other public transport, it’s not hard to find someone who’s been left stranded. Only last week there were media reports of major delays Adelaide to Perth such that people missed the concert they were travelling to attend. Delays as in days not hours.

On a lesser scale only two weeks ago I boarded a bus that was fully 80 minutes late departing the CBD. In truth I suspect the original service didn’t run at all, and the one I used was actually the next bus running 20 minutes late. Thankfully it wasn’t raining and I wasn’t in a hurry.

Private vehicles, physical media, cash and storing data on your own hard drive are all examples of things which do have value in terms of getting around the unreliability of others. There’s a reason many would rather drive despite having the option not to.

Hence I can fully understand the concerns someone would have if they can’t drive from A to B due to range, charging facilities etc being a constraint. They might not do it regularly but as with any insurance, it’s too late once you know you need it.
Compared to the days when the only content we could get was either what was played on the radio or was stocked at the local record store, I think we are in the golden age of content.

As I said, even if something in particular went missing of a service you should be able to still find it. The positives far out weigh the negatives, and you will be able to find so much more music than you ever could before.

I follow some alternative bands from the 90’s that are still releasing music, that’s only possible because of streaming services and you tube, if they had to rely on the old system they would be dead.

I wouldn't conflate what is happening with being 'worse' .... it is just what 'is'. I would think your perception/nostalgia of your trips while young is more inline with the experience of wonder than anything else. One can get that from any source, particularly while young as everything is naturally new and larger than oneself.

The main difference between now and then is sensory overstimulation and no group social experience. (The individual gets what they want and we're all different).

You want nostalgia, communism is the way of the future :) One EV for all...
Sadly science says that one EV for all is not possible

I would agree to an extent.

Except my Dad, who was a life long tight ass, who fears change, resisted solar panels and even resisted the Internet and iPhones, who even still to this day thinks Air-conditioning is a scam, and watches free to air TV, and would probably get on well with Frog.

Now drives a Tesla, has solar panels and even a Tesla battery.

Sometimes horses do drink if you lead them to water 😂.
Do you seriously think I watch free to air tv, am scared of internet of technology, etc?
I am just not guy who does not care for his country or the people living in it , even if not born here:
I had solar PV installed: 1kw at $10k from memory 30y ago,
created a nature refuge of 300+ acres from scratch ( for the Basilios around), have a degree in IA from the 90s and created an IA vision focussed start up 5 y ago that the Australian government decided to lock me out of..
. House on lithium battery 36kw...
So not exactly technophobe
And sorry but 5y plus uni degree in math and physics so when people spew BS on battery, H2 or Covid stats, I can sort the **** out with no apologies
I do not have an EV because it makes no economic sense in 2023 for me and have never been one to buy on or for prestige.no beemers or range rover here
Sorry I am not a DisneyLand fan or expect the government to nurse me.
So would I be a great mate to your dad?

Sticking with this analogy because it has some relevance.

Music streaming has the advantage of convenience just as flying from Perth to Brisbane then renting a car has the advantage of convenience.

But......

If the music streaming service decides you're not going to listen to that music anymore well that's it, gone.

Perhaps because they took offense to the lyrics. Perhaps it's because someone made an allegation about one of the band members. Perhaps it's because back in 1985 the drummer expressed an opinion that's seen as unacceptable today. Perhaps it's because the lyrics have multiple possible interpretations one of which someone took offense to. Perhaps it's because of a copyright issue. Perhaps the service just decided they don't want that artist or even an entire genre anymore. Point is someone else can remove your access to that music just like that and you've got zero control over it.

Physical music media doesn't have that problem. Short of it being destroyed, nobody can stop the owner listening to it and it'll last their lifetime.

Now with transport if you've ever lived somewhere where you're actually dependent on airlines then you've always got that thought in the back of your mind. In the Australian context Tasmania's the obvious example - if you can't fly to Melbourne then your only other option's the ferry. Failing that, you're not going.

Living in Adelaide, should I really need to get to Melbourne then worst case I can drive there in 8 hours. I'm not at the mercy of an airline should they decide to not run flights there, or charge a fortune for them, for whatever reason. Driving might be less convenient but it's far less dependent on anyone else.

I can fully understand the concern about that option being removed or made impractical. It leaves the individual at the mercy of airlines which are an industry that's partly a duopoly, partly an actual monopoly and with a less than stellar service record. For mainland Australia at least, cars with the ability to travel long distances provide a fix for that. An inconvenient fix, but a fix nonetheless. :2twocents
I think ultimately, it is all down to control vs freedom.
Some people are happy to be fed ideas. Sxxt food and told how to live, what to listen or eatch: mostly crap in pathetic quality, even books are digital and so altered seamlessly
Probably because they were either sheep by nature or brainwashed this way , all happy
EVs are an extension:
No way to add Jerry cans or get a 1000l fuel tank in the shed. No easy way to repair them or their on board computer.you can can be restricted speed or destination overnight.
But for the sibsurbxns drones, life is beautiful, and even less grease on the floor.
We can add that people do not even need and so know how to read a map.
We could easily remove access to part of the country .
All the above was done in former USSR, is done in China and now coming in the west.
A nightmare where EVs play a part.
A bit philosophical do let's go back to range, kw and the coming byd plug in ute..great idea if price is right

John De would have to go back quite a few years to find a manual stick car ex production line.
Only for sporty cars.our previous mx5 quite recent 5y I think had a stick and thanks God it had..what is the point otherwise.
I wonder if any EV has emulated a transmission mode ..obviously as one option selectable?

Compared to the days when the only content we could get was either what was played on the radio or was stocked at the local record store, I think we are in the golden age of content.

As I said, even if something in particular went missing of a service you should be able to still find it. The positives far out weigh the negatives, and you will be able to find so much more music than you ever could before.

I follow some alternative bands from the 90’s that are still releasing music, that’s only p
It's a double edged sword.

It enables things that otherwise wouldn't exist as you point out.

But it also enables access to be removed at any moment. Remember the threats to censor Fawlty Towers? Just one random example.

One of the key attractions of the private car has always been that it doesn't depend on someone else agreeing. I want to go here and I want to go at this time = no problem. :2twocents

Do you seriously think I watch free to air tv, am scared of internet of technology, etc?
I am just not guy who does not care for his country or the people living in it , even if not born here:
I had solar PV installed: 1kw at $10k from memory 30y ago,
created a nature refuge of 300+ acres from scratch ( for the Basilios around), have a degree in IA from the 90s and created an IA vision focussed start up 5 y ago that the Australian government decided to lock me out of..
. House on lithium battery 36kw...
So not exactly technophobe
And sorry but 5y plus uni degree in math and physics so when people spew BS on battery, H2 or Covid stats, I can sort the **** out with no apologies
I do not have an EV because it makes no economic sense in 2023 for me and have never been one to buy on or for prestige.no beemers or range rover here
Sorry I am not a DisneyLand fan or expect the government to nurse me.

Where did that come from? My comment is a thought bubble brought about from reading everything and having a memory pop in to my head.

And sorry, I can’t answer that question. My father passed away unexpectedly a few months ago. I wish I could, I miss him terribly.

Where did that come from? My comment is a thought bubble brought about from reading everything and having a memory pop in to my head.

And sorry, I can’t answer that question. My father passed away unexpectedly a few months ago. I wish I could, I miss him terribly.

@JohnDe this was not a reply to your post but to VC I quote :"
Except my Dad, who was a life long tight ass, who fears change, resisted solar panels and even resisted the Internet and iPhones, who even still to this day thinks Air-conditioning is a scam, and watches free to air TV, and would probably get on well with Frog."
So a direct link to me
And BTW, sorry about your dad passing.never an easy time..RIP

I think ultimately, it is all down to control vs freedom.
Some people are happy to be fed ideas. Sxxt food and told how to live, what to listen or eatch: mostly crap in pathetic quality, even books are digital and so altered seamlessly
Probably because they were either sheep by nature or brainwashed this way , all happy
EVs are an extension:
No way to add Jerry cans or get a 1000l fuel tank in the shed. No easy way to repair them or their on board computer.you can can be restricted speed or destination overnight.
But for the sibsurbxns drones, life is beautiful, and even less grease on the floor.
We can add that people do not even need and so know how to read a map.
We could easily remove access to part of the country .
All the above was done in former USSR, is done in China and now coming in the west.
A nightmare where EVs play a part.
A bit philosophical do let's go back to range, kw and the coming byd plug in ute..great idea if price is right
You are describing the old system there, eg told watch to watch because there is only 3 tv channels, told what to eat and drink because a few brands can control all the advertising on those Channels.

The modern system where you can watch any content made by anyone is a much more dynamic and free system.

I mean you would have lots to talk about with my dad because you are both conspiracy theory types, that are cynical.

You are describing the old system there, eg told watch to watch because there is only 3 tv channels, told what to eat and drink because a few brands can control all the advertising on those Channels.

The modern system where you can watch any content made by anyone is a much more dynamic and free system.
This is in theory:
And true, TV as a one media is now gone, the internet allows free education
but also unlimited pr0n of brain pr0n: social media.
Fact is today's people are more uneducated, food providers are much more limited than ..not ever..but 2 generations ago certainly.
And it is definitively not true that it is free-er.
There is heavy censorship on the internet directly or via search engine, choice is limited and conversation directed.but we are moving out of the context.so I will shut up.
EVs are imho both a technical issue ( issue as subject, not problem) but also a social engineering tool.
Let's stick to the tech here

This is in theory:
And true, TV as a one media is now gone, the internet allows free education
but also unlimited pr0n of brain pr0n: social media.
Fact is today's people are more uneducated, food providers are much more limited than ..not ever..but 2 generations ago certainly.
And it is definitively not true that it is free-er.
There is heavy censorship on the internet directly or via search engine, choice is limited and conversation directed.but we are moving out of the context.so I will shut up.
EVs are imho both a technical issue ( issue as subject, not problem) but also a social engineering tool.
Let's stick to the tech here
Back in the day we didn’t even have search engines for them to censor, you had to go to the library and search something.

You are crazy if you think the modern internet is more censored than a town with one news paper, 3 TV channels and a library.

@JohnDe this was not a reply to your post but to VC I quote :"
Except my Dad, who was a life long tight ass, who fears change, resisted solar panels and even resisted the Internet and iPhones, who even still to this day thinks Air-conditioning is a scam, and watches free to air TV, and would probably get on well with Frog."
So a direct link to me
And BTW, sorry about your dad passing.never an easy time..RIP

I now understand, thank you.

VC has blocked me, because I made a fool of his comments in the Cashless Society thread, and I cannot see anything that he posts.

Once again, thank you for clearing up that little misunderstanding and for your kind thoughts.

There's the pot calling the kettle black, "conspiracy theory types" says Value Collector. The very same person that blocks me because I proved him foolish in the Cashless Society thread, only to secretly log in to read my posts and then comment without me being able to retort. Lucky, I have friends watching out for me that keep me posted of such foolish behavior from you VC

1701048651736.png

1701048945771.png

And the slow hydrogen build up continues, it will be interesting to see if it actually does become a viable fuel for heavy equipment. At least we are doing some R & D.

A new hydrogen plant and refuelling station has opened in Melbourne.
The $2.5 million facility will be used by government science organisation CSIRO and Swinburne University's Victorian Hydrogen Hub for research and training of the emerging hydrogen vehicle industry in Australia – as well as testing with the few hydrogen-powered cars on Australian roads.

Though the Federal Government has committed to net zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2050, hydrogen vehicles are yet to be made available to mass consumers in Australia.
Currently, the Toyota Mirai and Hyundai Nexo are the only models of hydrogen fuel-cell vehicles in Australia – but the availability of these two vehicles is restricted by the manufacturers.
However, there have been indications the hydrogen industry could soon reach the public after petrol giant Ampol announced it will build hydrogen refuelling infrastructures around Australia in collaboration with US-based company OneH2 – and Toyota is currently testing a hydrogen-fuelled HiAce prototype.

Well we were right, the States couldn't put the tax on EV mileage, cheeky sods trying to take the Feds excise tax off them. :roflmao: :roflmao:

Quick Read:​

• In short: Victoria's treasurer says the state will repay $7 million of tax claimed from electric vehicle owners.
  • The High Court last month found the tax was unconstitutional.
  • What's next? The government is identifying who is owed the money to and says the process could take several months.
Victoria's treasurer says the state government has agreed to repay electric vehicle taxes to drivers, with interest, after the tax was found to be unconstitutional.

The controversial road user charge — where EV drivers paid the state around 2 cents per kilometre — was challenged in the High Court by two Victorian electric car owners.

Treasurer Tim Pallas today confirmed the government was advised to repay the money to vehicle owners.

"We're now going through a process of identifying who it is that we need to rebate and we'll go through the process of making those rebates," he said.

"I think we've even decided to be sufficiently generous, albeit there isn't an obligation to pay interest, we'll pay interest on the retention of those funds."

Mr Pallas said the amount that would be repaid was about $7 million and the process would take "a few months".