• Already own one

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Yes - would definitely buy

Votes: 43 22.1%
  • Yes - preferred over petrol car if price/power/convenience similar

Votes: 78 40.0%
  • Maybe - preference for neither, only concerned with costs etc

Votes: 36 18.5%
  • No - prefer petrol car even if electric car has same price, power and convenience

Votes: 24 12.3%
  • No - would never buy one

Votes: 14 7.2%

• Total voters
Hello Value Collector,
rcw1 is happy, had some moments on the punt yesterday though... but recovered ... rcw1 drives a Tesla when allowed too by kin if been a good boss and after rcw1 gets to clean it ha ha ha ha ha ha ha; Happy Days :)

Have a very nice day, today

Kind regards
rcw1

Hello Value Collector,
rcw1 is happy, had some moments on the punt yesterday though... but recovered ... rcw1 drives a Tesla when allowed too by kin if been a good boss and after rcw1 gets to clean it ha ha ha ha ha ha ha; Happy Days :)

Have a very nice day, today

Kind regards
rcw1
Ah rcw them is thar breake. Much the same with Her SUV sometimes allowed to get behind the wheel, but only occassionally.

I rented a Corolla Hybrid while interstate the past few days, not a bad little car and super fuel efficient.

We did 297 km on 12 litres of fuel which cost $22.40.

The same driving in my model 3 would have cost $10.60, but still the Corolla hybrid seems way better than your average ICE.

Only bad things about the Corolla is that it’s built like an Ice car, so its full of buttons, dials, knobs, switches, gauges and shifters etc that don’t really need to be there, and seem excessive after driving a Tesla for so long, for example annoyingly it has an on/off button you have to press before you can drive and before you can lock the car, so many times I got out of the car and tried to lock it as I was walking away only to realise I had to go back and switch it off, surely it should realise that me getting out of the car, shutting the door and pressing the lock button means I want to turn the thing off.

Also, the lack of power while over taking is a bit shocking after being used to the instant power of a full electric.
Tried to buy a Toyota Corolla Cross Hybrid as a work car (share car, different drivers).
Not available. Waiting time for most Toyota's is crazy.

Other brands too.
Anything hybrid is hard to get especially from what I have seen so far.

I thought things were getting back to normal. Any ideas anyone?
Maybe we shouldn't have shut down our manufacturing.

Tried to buy a Toyota Corolla Cross Hybrid as a work car (share car, different drivers).
Not available. Waiting time for most Toyota's is crazy.

Other brands too.
Anything hybrid is hard to get especially from what I have seen so far.

I thought things were getting back to normal. Any ideas anyone?
Maybe we shouldn't have shut down our manufacturing.

Go battery EV and you can be driving on within a week from existing inventory, or a couple of months for a specific order.

Discovered another reason why ICEV are an endangered species.

I was at my cousin's engagement party on the weekend and had a good long conversation with the husband of another cousin of mine, he is a Ford parts interpreter and has been in the industry for 35 years. The past 10 has seen a lot of groundbreaking engineering practices, not all good. One crazy idea is the 'wet timing belt' in the 2.0L Twin Turbo diesel fitted to Rangers and Transits. The synthetic rubber timing belt and oil pump belt operates in the engine oil system.

One dealership has 2 rangers and a Transit towed to the workshop in one week. Assessment is that the teeth of the rubber belts have failed, causing valves to remain open and pistons to hit those valves and bend them. All will have engines replaced under warranty, one of the Rangers has only 51,000km on the clock.

Anyone want to guess what a timing belt replacement would cost during normal maintenance period?

Here is a video with some description of work required -

Anyone want to guess what a timing belt replacement would cost during normal maintenance period?

Here is a video with some description of work required -

WOW that isn't good, timing belt issues are really a thing of the past, they are pretty well sorted. To re engineer problems into the ICE is really bad form, hopefully they sort it quickly, because the Ranger is a very popular car, for Ford to create an issue like that would be suicide.

As for changing timing belts, these days it is pretty straight forward on most vehicles, as they have cam, crank and fuel pump locking devices. I have done a load in my day and I'm a sparky, so is my son and he just did his Jetta and Amarok belts, and had no issues, so I would guess a service dept would knock them over in a couple of hours. :2twocents

But a very interesting story John, all the belts I know of run dry.

WOW that isn't good, timing belt issues are really a thing of the past, they are pretty well sorted. To re engineer problems into the ICE is really bad form, hopefully they sort it quickly, because the Ranger is a very popular car, for Ford to create an issue like that would be suicide.

As for changing timing belts, these days it is pretty straight forward on most vehicles, as they have cam, crank and fuel pump locking devices. I have done a load in my day and I'm a sparky, so is my son and he just did his Jetta and Amarok belts, and had no issues, so I would guess a service dept would knock them over in a couple of hours. :2twocents

But a very interesting story John, all the belts I know of run dry.

The Ranger has two engine options, the 2.0L & 3.2L, stick to the 3.2L and there are no issues.

If you watch the video, you will see that there is no way a timing belt will be replaced "in a couple of hours". Access is the first issue, so in the Transit the headlight assembly must be removed. Then a couple of coolant hoses, so best to drain cooling system so as not to have a shower. Engine sump removal is required to allow the oil pump belt to be removed. Once all that is off, everything must be cleaned, new parts installed, front cover and sump fitted and wait for the sealant to dry (no gaskets on modern engines). Refill engine with oil and coolant, start engine and ensure all is well. Refit accessories and road test. All that is a lot more than 2 hours, and a very expensive maintenance item. My mate had a timing belt kit (cam timing and a rear fuel pump belt & tensioner) replaced on his Ford Territory at Ford for a cost of $2100, one month ago.

IMO a wet timing belt is a stupid idea for Australian conditions, especially in the outback.

Different drivers, they take them home, country driving, lack of infrastructure. Just too risky at the moment. We use a petrol car at present.
Can’t they charge them at home? Or would that complicate things in regards to paying for electricity?

Can’t they charge them at home? Or would that complicate things in regards to paying for electricity?
That, and they may not have a garage.
i am sure the next car will be electric. We are in a transition stage. our director has bought a Tesla as has one of the Associates for their company car but they have full control.