Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Defence Space Command

Oh come on, don't you have one ounce of forward vision ?

If you think that satellites will not/ are not being used in warfare then you are more silly than I thought you were, because I have some respect for your intelligence.

Satellites are war machines just like tanks or battleships and some way has to be found to counter them.

If you think are we are not or won't be a target at some point, I think that is particularly naive, we are the dominant power in our region and it's likely we will be targeted at some time or at least threatened so.
If and it is an if, but if Indonesia becomes close allies with China, well lets just say "allow for the worst, hope for the best". :xyxthumbs

Not everyone is a thief, but most people lock up their cars, lock up their houses and have insurance. When we bought the unit in Mandurah, I said to the wife should we put in an alarm system in, "of course not why would anyone want to break into here", well long story short we now have an alarm system to kill all alarm systems. :whistling:

I will put money on the fact that if Labor get in, the nuclear subs contract will stay the AUKUS alliance will stay and the space command project will stay, as will Snowy2.0 and Kurri Kurri. So there seems to be only a few on ASF who are out of step with reality, or probably more a case of their political bias overriding their thought processes. ?

Don't worry Rumpy, the same people are saying that Snowy 2.0 and Kurri Kurri isn't required, yet both sides of politics are have agreed to the projects. So it does kind of sums up the value of opinions on ASF, they are worth what we pay for them. ?
Who Costello?

Oh come on, don't you have one ounce of forward vision ?

If you think that satellites will not/ are not being used in warfare then you are more silly than I thought you were, because I have some respect for your intelligence.
Tell me how. Aside from the higher resolution military GPS system, satellites are not ideal platforms for spying.
For example, how well did they do tracking weapons of mass destruction, or Bin Laden's hideouts?
They are very good, however, as communication systems.
America still uses U-2s for terrestrial spying, and real people.
Satellites are war machines just like tanks or battleships and some way has to be found to counter them.
Nope - not yet at least.
Show one to me if you think I am wrong, and tell me what attack systems they are using.
If you think are we are not or won't be a target at some point, I think that is particularly naive, we are the dominant power in our region and it's likely we will be targeted at some time or at least threatened so.
We are fly dropping in the ocean. We have no clout internationally and that's why we have strategic alliances.

Space: The global common
"It is imperative to keep in mind that outer space is categorised by international law as a ‘Global Common’, which traditionally means an area whose global economic resources lie beyond national jurisdiction of any state and are regulated by international law. Examples include the high seas, Antarctica, and even the cyberspace."

Who Costello?

Senate Estimates papers confirm the announcement was cobbled together in less than two weeks after the concept was floated by Snowy Hydro.
Back of a napkin type thing

So there seems to be only a few on ASF who are out of step with reality, or probably more a case of their political bias overriding their thought processes. ?
I guarantee that is back to front.
Political thought processes of the Coalition are on par with amoeba.

So you want to wait until it's too late ?
Too late for what?
What exactly is it we are going to do?
You want us to act against the UN's Treaty?
You want us to be party to littering outer space with debris that could potentially kill space missions?
How many other countries see this urgent need and are setting up their own space commands?
When in trouble politically the Coalition trots out defence and borders to shore up votes, and we fall for it because the yellow peril and undesirables in boats will overrun our nation... laughable!

What, so you believe most wars through history are over territorial rights and not land acquisition.
If you think, with the way the population of the World is increasing, that ownership of finite raw materials and arable land wont become an issue well we obviously have different views.
World population growth is set to decline over time so land acquisition isn't the issue long term. The war that's happening now isn't about raw materials. There is no point in comparing us with Ukraine in post#24.

The biggest threat to Australia isn't invasion, it's dissolution of civil liberties brought about by aggressive govts that take part in wars on the other side of the planet that have zip to do with us.

Last time I checked, satellites haven't prevented deaths on home soil from terrorist attacks.

It's also worth doing some research about satellite placement. There's only a finite amount of space available for satellites - you can't just launch a few thousand satellites in geo-stationary orbit.

Whichever way you look at it, Australia just doesn't have the capacity to play this utopian space invaders game of Peter Dutton's. If he wants to be a Star Wars Darth Vader Wannabee tell him to buzz off back to the US where he can live out his dreams along with the rest of the Woalition of the Killing.

PS: If our govts are so paranoid about China in space, then why the fark did we sign a free trade agreement with them 6 months after they shot down a satellite creating a truckload of space junk ?

What exactly is it we are going to do?

Develop our own spy satellites for one thing that could monitor missile launces, or spy on communications between other satellites and the ground.

Come on, use your imagination. Say you were China (not too much of a stretch) and you wanted to use satellites for war, what would you do ?

Develop our own spy satellites for one thing that could monitor missile launces, or spy on communications between other satellites and the ground.

Come on, use your imagination. Say you were China (not too much of a stretch) and you wanted to use satellites for war, what would you do ?
Satellites are like pawns in a chess game - first to go before the real fun starts :)

Why?
We have strategic alliances.
And we don't need satellites to spy on other satellites. There is this thing called interception which works really well from the ground.
What America is doing in Ukraine.
Indonesia is a greater threat anyway.

Senate Estimates papers confirm the announcement was cobbled together in less than two weeks after the concept was floated by Snowy Hydro.
Back of a napkin type thing
Sounds like the Rudd/ Conroy back of a napkin NBN, while eating a Maccas eh, compared to that two weeks is a good planning.
Do you really think Snowy Mountain Authority, wouldnt have already done engineering feasibility on the extension of the system, years ago, great to see the chooks are still feeding well. LOL

World population growth is set to decline over time so land acquisition isn't the issue long term. The war that's happening now isn't about raw materials. There is no point in comparing us with Ukraine in post#24.

The biggest threat to Australia isn't invasion, it's dissolution of civil liberties brought about by aggressive govts that take part in wars on the other side of the planet that have zip to do with us.

Last time I checked, satellites haven't prevented deaths on home soil from terrorist attacks.

It's also worth doing some research about satellite placement. There's only a finite amount of space available for satellites - you can't just launch a few thousand satellites in geo-stationary orbit.

Whichever way you look at it, Australia just doesn't have the capacity to play this utopian space invaders game of Peter Dutton's. If he wants to be a Star Wars Darth Vader Wannabee tell him to buzz off back to the US where he can live out his dreams along with the rest of the Woalition of the Killing.

PS: If our govts are so paranoid about China in space, then why the fark did we sign a free trade agreement with them 6 months after they shot down a satellite creating a truckload of space junk ?
Dont be ridiculous, of course satellites have stopped terrorist attacks, how do think the sattelite info is transfered.
This whole debate is becoming ridiculous, 90% of high tech data transfer will be through encryptid sattelite transfer, jeez come on guys.

Dont be ridiculous, of course satellites have stopped terrorist attacks, how do think the sattelite info is transfered.
This whole debate is becoming ridiculous, 90% of high tech data transfer will be through encryptid sattelite transfer, jeez come on guys.
Of course this debate is getting ridiculous... it's an unaffordable pipe dream.

I'm sure anyone could find a list of terrorist deaths here because after all, we're a terrorist target right ?

If you want better defense - don't make yourself a target in the first place.

Of course this debate is getting ridiculous... it's an unaffordable pipe dream.

I'm sure anyone could find a list of terrorist deaths here because after all, we're a terrorist target right ?

If you want better defense - don't make yourself a target in the first place.
Yeh, enough said, Two World wars and all the invaded countries made themselves targets.FFS
Like I said absolutely ridiculous.

Yeh, enough said, Two World wars and all the invaded countries made themselves targets.FFS
Like I said absolutely ridiculous.
Comparing our foreign policy with that of "all the invaded countries" from 100 years ago is clearly avoiding the point so I agree... 'nuff said.

Presumably FFS stands for Failed Feasibility Study? Yep... agreed there too :)

No, it's adding fuel to a fire that we are committed - under PAROS - to doing the very opposite.
Those nations choosing outer space as a new battleground can be counted on your fingers for a reason.
I asked @SirRumpole a few pertinent questions about "why" and got stunned silence. So I ask you now, why?

By extending your logic the Moon is also up for grabs as the next battleground.
Again, why?
What about Mars, where both China and the USA seem to already have claims?
Those canny Chinese hid stuff we can't see on the far side of the moon. I suspect they were Mars bars.
It doesn't stop, does it!
Why?
Well I'm not privy to what is discussed behind the closed doors of our govt. and our allies. Maybe we were asked to?

Deals, contracts, agreements can all be broken, not adhered to, changed, manipulated, interpreted differently etc.
If corruption, greed and power mongering can be stamped out maybe there's a chance but unfortunately, no it does not stop. Probably never will because to me, that is human nature, always was and always will be.