Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Defence Space Command

A lot of the ICBM these days, will no doubt be laser guided from satellites IMO, it would be obvious if you have laser guided missiles, which they do, they would transfer that technology to accurate guidance systems which are in lower orbit, to pinpoint critical targets.
They probably have far more than that, but that is a simple example of why having space weapons systems, would be a definite requirement theses days.
There is no point knowing an armada of ships are coming, if you are not in a position to intercept them, or defend yourself against them. I don't think telling them you love them and have a house full of their junk, plus your a big fan of their E.V's, would make them say oh that's nice we will turn around and go home. ?
If anyone launches an ICBM we are all screwed. The nuclear warhead does not need laser accuracy!
Other laser guided weapons generally have a very limited range - typically less than 10km.
We should spend more money getting proper space for the homeless, and leave outer space for nations or corporations (with relevant products) that can afford to play there.

If anyone launches an ICBM we are all screwed. The nuclear warhead does not need laser accuracy!
Other laser guided weapons generally have a very limited range - typically less than 10km.
We should spend more money getting proper space for the homeless, and leave outer space for nations or corporations (with relevant products) that can afford to play there.
If we, like the Ukraine are invaded, the homeless will be sorted, we will all be joining them.
Who is to say, that we aren't just piggy backing onto the U.S, U.K, Nato system? I don't think for one minute we are re inventing the wheel and building our own space defence system, that is a ridiculous assumption. The same as we aren't inventing our own subs.

Land area (sq. km) in Australia was reported at 7692020 sq. Km in 2020, according to the World Bank​

25million people, that is some backyard job. ?
Yeppers... and that kinda adds to the point :)

The nations with the most powerful weapons all have one thing in common... quality of life for their civilians is rather crappy compared to us...

New Zealand doesn't have any weapons to speak of... any sign of the sky falling in ? Quite the opposite. Might have something to do with them not having an aggressive govt - unlike us.

The nations with the most powerful weapons all have one thing in common... quality of life for their civilians is rather crappy compared to us...

New Zealand doesn't have any weapons to speak of... any sign of the sky falling in ? Quite the opposite. Might have something to do with them not having an aggressive govt - unlike us.
Might also be because China likes iron ore, nickel, raw earths, uranium, LNG and just about any other raw material they need, more than sheep, but hey you may be right. :xyxthumbs

The question I would ask is, why does China need such a massive armed force, they are the biggest kid on the block, the U.S and everyone else loves them making all the cheap junk. It isn't as though anyone wants to take them over.
So if we keep just smiling and eating $hit butties, they will just keep treating us well and leave us alone, ask Ukraine how that is working out.
Well everyone to their own beliefs.

Last edited:

The unofficial (official) defence policy of NZ is defence of Australia. Read into that what you will.

Unlike Ukraine, Australia isn't involved in any territorial disputes unless you include our Antractic Territory.
Then again, with the amount of money printing needed to fund this unworldy dream the reserve bank might be considered a target :)

The unofficial (official) defence policy of NZ is defence of Australia. Read into that what you will.
Yep... best described as "theatrical" whilst banning our nuke subs in their territory. LOL

Outer space should never be seen as a new battleground, and that's what Australia is signing up to, rather than to further our knowledge and scientific endeavour.
We - ie. our Pollies - don't have half a brain and that's why we are so far behind the rest of the world in so many areas.
Of course no theatre should be seen as a new or otherwise battleground, but that's just dreaming of a long distant, 'unobtainium' Utopia.

I'd say space has long been a battleground, right from the outset. Surely the Space Race was a battle to be first in space and first to the Moon, a battle between USSR and USA, a battle for space supremacy.

With ICBM, these reach LEO heights (up to 2,000km), so nothing new there either. Oh, and what did Ronald Reagan propose again?
The SDI, the so-called "Star Wars Program". Again, nothing new.

The more recent theatre/battleground in space of course is between the world's Cyber Forces. The, um, fall out seemingly far better than MAD.

Re. pollies.
Until we can agree on the structure, the make up and pathway to becoming a republic, along with a new flag, then becoming said republic, I reckon Australian pollies will always struggle but that's a discussion for elsewhere.

I did want to mention that when I first heard of the Defence Space Command, my thoughts turned to NASA's PDCO.

Of course no theatre should be seen as a new or otherwise battleground, but that's just dreaming of a long distant, 'unobtainium' Utopia.
No, it's adding fuel to a fire that we are committed - under PAROS - to doing the very opposite.
Those nations choosing outer space as a new battleground can be counted on your fingers for a reason.
I asked @SirRumpole a few pertinent questions about "why" and got stunned silence. So I ask you now, why?
I'd say space has long been a battleground, right from the outset. Surely the Space Race was a battle to be first in space and first to the Moon, a battle between USSR and USA, a battle for space supremacy.
By extending your logic the Moon is also up for grabs as the next battleground.
Again, why?
What about Mars, where both China and the USA seem to already have claims?
Those canny Chinese hid stuff we can't see on the far side of the moon. I suspect they were Mars bars.
It doesn't stop, does it!

I asked @SirRumpole a few pertinent questions about "why" and got stunned silence. So I ask you now, why?

Well I responded to the "why", by mentioning spy satellites which could interfere with our national security and @sptrawler also mentioned ICBMs guided by satellite which could be a threat.

Like it or not, whenever there are opposing political philosophies on this planet nations will take any opportunity to get an advantage over the other side and space is no exception.

Well I responded to the "why", by mentioning spy satellites which could interfere with our national security
Google earth and street view are just as good.
As for "spying", thats been around since before biblical times.
and @sptrawler also mentioned ICBMs guided by satellite which could be a threat.
Well, they are not!
I pointed that out.
Like it or not, whenever there are opposing political philosophies on this planet nations will take any opportunity to get an advantage over the other side and space is no exception.
We have no skin in the game in outer space.
Why are we needing to be there and what would we do?

Google earth and street view are just as good.
As for "spying", thats been around since before biblical times.

Well, they are not!
I pointed that out.

We have no skin in the game in outer space.
Why are we needing to be there and what would we do?

Yes , spies have been around for a while, when they were caught they were executed, same with spy satellites.

Unlike Ukraine, Australia isn't involved in any territorial disputes unless you include our Antractic Territory.
Then again, with the amount of money printing needed to fund this unworldy dream the reserve bank might be considered a target :)

Yep... best described as "theatrical" whilst banning our nuke subs in their territory. LOL
What, so you believe most wars through history are over territorial rights and not land acquisition.
If you think, with the way the population of the World is increasing, that ownership of finite raw materials and arable land wont become an issue well we obviously have different views.

Past performance is not an indicator of future performance.
So we don't execute spies after all.
So tell me what our future performance is supposed to be.
You are all over the shop.
What, so you believe most wars through history are over territorial rights and not land acquisition ,
They are the same thing!
If you think, with the way the population of the World is increasing, that ownership of finite raw materials and arable land wont become an issue well we obviously have different views.
Perhaps water.
As for foods and resources, they are easily enough bought.

Well I responded to the "why", by mentioning spy satellites which could interfere with our national security and @sptrawler also mentioned ICBMs guided by satellite which could be a threat.

Don't worry Rumpy, the same people are saying that Snowy 2.0 and Kurri Kurri isn't required, yet both sides of politics are have agreed to the projects. So it does kind of sums up the value of opinions on ASF, they are worth what we pay for them. ?

So we don't execute spies after all.
So tell me what our future performance is supposed to be.
You are all over the shop.

Oh come on, don't you have one ounce of forward vision ?

If you think that satellites will not/ are not being used in warfare then you are more silly than I thought you were, because I have some respect for your intelligence.

Satellites are war machines just like tanks or battleships and some way has to be found to counter them.

If you think are we are not or won't be a target at some point, I think that is particularly naive, we are the dominant power in our region and it's likely we will be targeted at some time or at least threatened so.