Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Beginners - Introduce yourselves!

Hi everyone, I’ve just signed in to first post . Im keen to discuss Aust stocks , I been trading for just under 12 months , thanks

Welcome @Trucksyd, and congratulations on discovering the best stock market forum in Australia. Take your time to find your way around and explore the vast amount of content in the various forums and if you have any questions about how things work please don't hesitate to ask.

Otherwise, feel free to just jump in and start sharing your thoughts on whatever topic interests you. :xyxthumbs

Welcome @Trucksyd, and congratulations on discovering the best stock market forum in Australia. Take your time to find your way around and explore the vast amount of content in the various forums and if you have any questions about how things work please don't hesitate to ask.

Otherwise, feel free to just jump in and start sharing your thoughts on whatever topic interests you. :xyxthumbs
Thank you 😊

Thank you 😊

With more than 27,500 separate threads (discussions) you will want to use the search feature frequently to track down content that interests you. The best tactic to find content of interest is to search for specific keywords in thread titles to track down content on topics of interest.

Last edited:
Hello, Noob here, just started investing, and looking to learn from more seasoned veterans so I don't run into obstacles or monsters.
Hi Bran....
Welcome to the "ASX Sandpit" @Bran Flakes ....
Rather than us offering all sorts of advice, it i probably best for you to ask direct Q's, then someone here can provide you with a direct answer on your chosen Topic....
As someone mentioned in a previous post, it is best for you to start with the "Beginners Lounge" Forum....
Cheers..
DrB.

Hello, Noob here, just started investing, and looking to learn from more seasoned veterans so I don't run into obstacles or monsters.
Hi @Bran Flakes welcome to the forum, if you write a post describing the type of investing or trading that you are interested in doing then you may get some responses from people that can help with that type of investing/trading.

Hi @Bran Flakes welcome to the forum, if you write a post describing the type of investing or trading that you are interested in doing then you may get some responses from people that can help with that type of investing/trading.
Great idea.

So i read The Little Book of Common Sense Investing by John Bogel and was persuaded to pick an 'all of market index fund' to start as a safe option, couldn't find one in Aus, only in America. Two big learning issues came up. Is investing in America the same as investing here, or does tax make it basically a non option?

and second, out of the two best ETFs i could find; A200 and VHY. Is it dumb to want a dividend investment this early? So far I put a couple grand into VHY

Am I even in the galaxy of doing the right thing here. Who knows. Any guidance/opinion very welcome.

Great idea.

So i read The Little Book of Common Sense Investing by John Bogel and was persuaded to pick an 'all of market index fund' to start as a safe option, couldn't find one in Aus, only in America. Two big learning issues came up. Is investing in America the same as investing here, or does tax make it basically a non option?

and second, out of the two best ETFs i could find; A200 and VHY. Is it dumb to want a dividend investment this early? So far I put a couple grand into VHY

Am I even in the galaxy of doing the right thing here. Who knows. Any guidance/opinion very welcome.
i have held VHY in the past and when i did i participated in the DRP scheme ( dividend reinvestment plan )

now a DRP doesn't suit everybody ( and doesn't suit every share/ETF )

but while i had VHY and participated in the DRP i had a very nice ride over roughly 11 years ( from 2011 to 2023 )

US investing v. Australia there are some differences and some similarities ( i stuck to Australia and ASX-listed shares/ETFs )

some lessons translate easily , and some won't ( between US and AUS )

i am not agile enough and focused enough to trade .. so i don't

i am old (er ) so need to push ( a little bit , but not so much i get wiped out , because i won't be able to rebuild )

listen to lots of people BUT think for yourself

educate yourself but don't be afraid to get good professional advice ( the education is so you ask the right questions when seeking advice )

now 'in the right galaxy ' is a curly one

and the correct answer is what is best for you

i have held VHY in the past and when i did i participated in the DRP scheme ( dividend reinvestment plan )

now a DRP doesn't suit everybody ( and doesn't suit every share/ETF )

but while i had VHY and participated in the DRP i had a very nice ride over roughly 11 years ( from 2011 to 2023 )

US investing v. Australia there are some differences and some similarities ( i stuck to Australia and ASX-listed shares/ETFs )

some lessons translate easily , and some won't ( between US and AUS )

i am not agile enough and focused enough to trade .. so i don't

i am old (er ) so need to push ( a little bit , but not so much i get wiped out , because i won't be able to rebuild )

listen to lots of people BUT think for yourself

educate yourself but don't be afraid to get good professional advice ( the education is so you ask the right questions when seeking advice )

now 'in the right galaxy ' is a curly one

and the correct answer is what is best for you

Thanks for the heads up. My instinct is to go with A200, its ultra low cost at 0.04% per year fees, higher annual returns than VHY but still a dividend. VHY fee at 0.25% was making me seethe, Im sick of taxes and fees, taxes I have to live with, High fees i dont!

Well you gave me the confidence to pull the trigger. So hereeeee we go.....A200 it is.

Just a general thing, but have you found the compound calculators to be accurate over your investing journey? The numbers seem too good to be true, looking for the catch

And also it is very easy to spend OPM but when it comes to your own, tread carefully . I think it is akin to cutting a piece of wood. Measure twice and cut once.
Im terrified of losing my money, so this turned me into jelly. whats the worst that could happen with an ETF right?

well, that's that's going to happen, anyway. But welcome, and, remember, there are no stupid questions, just stupid answers.
Hey thanks, well id like to test that out with a stupid question, um, are there some common taboos i should be aware of? like asking people too directly how much money they spend or have or their portfolio etc. I mean money was taboo in my fam growing up, so still establishing new boundaries and etiquette