Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Barack Obama!

Re: Barack 2008!

Obama was: 1579... now 1608

Clinton was: 1473... now 1478

417 to go...

Six weeks' break (for us... not the US) ;)

doris said:
Paid for by Obama for America
This email was sent to: doris.*******@bigpond.com
Doris
you're gonna have to find a new email address - one that doesn't trigger the cuss-word detector.

PS I bet you are the only person this side of Hawaii doing what you are doing ;)
(or this side of Guam?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_territory
Other territories
Puerto Rico
U.S. Virgin Islands
American Samoa
Guam
Northern Mariana Islands

Minor Outlying Islands :-
Baker Island
Howland Island
Jarvis Island
Johnston Atoll
Midway Islands
Wake Island (claimed by Marshall Islands)
Palmyra Atoll
Kingman Reef
Navassa Island (claimed by Haiti)
Serranilla Bank (disputed with Colombia)
Bajo Nuevo Bank (disputed with Colombia)

Attachments

• USA insular areas.jpg
    USA insular areas.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 113

websman - howdy
US presidential hopeful Barack Obama's camp has called on his rival Hillary Clinton to fire history-blazing supporter Geraldine Ferraro, after she put the Illinois Senator's stunning rise down to his race.
Sure enough Ferraro has had to resign. :D

You gotta agee that since Obama came on the scene, there is at least a greater awareness of dirty electioneering tactics. :2twocents

Some comedian commented the other day ..
Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama together ?- is anyone else thinking that they would remind you of a pair of anchor newspeople. ?

Attachments

• ferrero.jpg
    ferrero.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 110

I think she's a Lesbian...

She certainly is dopey. What sort of pollie would play the race card in that way right now.

Unbelievable.

On another note. Isn't this all a bit damaging to the Dems? They rip each others liver out in public, and then try and contest an election after members of their own party have done their utmost to nuke their credibility.

I don't get that!

Unfortunately, there are so many racists in America, playing the race card by any method, even if HC has to cast off Ferraro, may give them enough extra votes to get the nomination.
Playing the race card and then pretending your 100% against it, may be the right tactic in this anything goes election.

Unfortunately, there are so many racists in America, playing the race card by any method, even if HC has to cast off Ferraro, may give them enough extra votes to get the nomination.
Playing the race card and then pretending your 100% against it, may be the right tactic in this anything goes election.

You are so astute Noirua.

One of Obama's sayings is "I won't tell you what to think but I'll tell you what to think about."

It seems Ferraro has been listening to him with her own agenda!

"Geraldine Ferraro says the Obama campaign took her comments on race out of context and is appalled that they were used to attack Sen. Hillary Clinton." Video and article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...ewsletter&wpisrc=newsletter&wpisrc=newsletter

Ferraro, 72 and feisty as ever, finally had enough and fell on her sword, sort of. She quit Clinton's finance committee, saying she wished to do her friend no harm. But she took back nothing. In fact, Ferraro has been on a multi-interview tear the past several days, blaming the Obama campaign for spreading the controversy and causing all the trouble. "I personally think that this is the last time that the Obama campaign is going to be able to play this type of race card," she said on "NBC Nightly News," "because I think that's what it is. I really do."

She then suggested that she was the one owed an apology for being implicated as "a racist," though it appears that no one in the Obama campaign actually called her one.

"The truth is, I think that most people want to put this behind us and not turn up the heat on what already has been a pretty unfortunate situation," Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton said yesterday. "No one on this campaign has ever accused her of being a racist. That is just completely ludicrous. I wish her well."

Georgetown law professor Emma Coleman Jordan, an Obama supporter who sat on the fence for a long time because she so admired Hillary Clinton, sees the Ferraro episode as "part of a systematic project" to raise Obama's negatives. "It is so sad that we've come to this," she said, "that a Democratic Party liberal [Clinton] has chosen to pick up the dirtiest tool in the political box to win. I'm sad. You can put that in a quote. But it's no longer possible to avoid the conclusion that this string of events is not an accident."

Responded Clinton communications director Howard Wolfson: "Both campaigns have had supporters that have said things that each candidate has repudiated. Do I think it was part of a pattern when Samantha Power called her a monster, when Merrill A. McPeak mocked her for crying, that that says something about the Obama campaign?" Wolfson said that Clinton herself has "disagreed with" and "rejected" Ferraro's comments, and that there is really nothing more to add.

Ferraro has since complained that her comments have been twisted out of context by those trying to gain political advantage. But she said much the same thing 10 days earlier, in a largely unnoticed radio interview. In fact, she made similar remarks about Jesse Jackson during his 1988 campaign, according to a Washington Post article. Because of Jackson's "radical views," Ferraro said then, "if Jesse Jackson were not black, he wouldn't be in the race."

In the Feb. 26 interview, on Fox News Radio's "John Gibson Show," Ferraro sounded frustrated by the phenomenon of Obama and the fact that her candidate was behind.

She first took aim at some of Obama's prominent superdelegates. Of Rep. John Lewis (D-Ga.), once a Clinton backer who switched to Obama, Ferraro said: "I'm so disappointed in him I could die." She then chided Rep. Rosa DeLauro (D-Conn.) for not sticking with the sisterhood. Not only had she chosen to support Obama, Ferraro said, but she came to his defense when his abortion-rights voting record in the Illinois Senate was challenged. "Tell me why she is endorsing Barack Obama," Ferraro said. And finally, she expressed exasperation that Sen. Chris Dodd (D-Conn.) endorsed Obama after dropping out of the presidential race, saying "it's the guys sticking together, John."

Gibson asked her why wasn't it credible that these superdelegates had chosen to back Obama for good reasons. Did she expect them to just hand the nomination to Clinton?

"No," she said, "but I expect them to look very carefully at who has the experience, John. Between me and you and your millions of listeners, if Barack Obama were a white man, would we be talking about this as a potential real problem for Hillary? . . . If he were a woman of any color, would he be in this position?"

Doris Obama said:
Georgetown law professor Emma Coleman Jordan, an Obama supporter who sat on the fence for a long time because she so admired Hillary Clinton, sees the Ferraro episode as "part of a systematic project" to raise Obama's negatives. "It is so sad that we've come to this," she said, "that a Democratic Party liberal [Clinton] has chosen to pick up the dirtiest tool in the political box to win. I'm sad. You can put that in a quote. But it's no longer possible to avoid the conclusion that this string of events is not an accident."
Doris, it's getting curiouser and curiouser ;)

Doris, it's getting curiouser and curiouser ;)

2020... you never cease to amaze me with your eclectic fun intelligence! :)

Poor Hillary... she does think she is Alice in Wonderland. Can't blame her.

I'm naive and impressionable enough to believe that Obama sacked Samantha Power because her 'monster' slip represented exactly what he is against in dirty politics and this was a message to his team.

I can't help but agree with Noirua and Emma Coleman Jordan that the Clinton camp 'slips' are attempts to feed slurs and let the public swallow them with Hillary blithely denying involvement and attempting to appear righteous as 'she didn't condone it'.

If she is not in control of what her camp publicizes how does this help her claim to control on the job she's after?

Meanwhile Barack is busy working on his campaign against Hillary. Being dignified and reasonable... of course!

Hillary is a mystery woman...too busy right now for details. But she WILL release her tax details... and WILL release her earmarks:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...ewsletter&wpisrc=newsletter&wpisrc=newsletter

Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) disclosed yesterday the more than half a billion dollars' worth of pet projects, or earmarks, he sought to fund during his first two years in the Senate, and he immediately called on rival Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.) to do the same.

Obama released the list as Sen. John McCain (Ariz.), the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, championed a one-year moratorium on earmarks, which the Senate took up yesterday. Obama and Clinton back the moratorium.

Philippe Reines, a senior adviser to Clinton, said in an e-mail that she "will make public the requests she submits this year," though he did not say when that will happen. He noted that Clinton has announced the earmarks she has won, but he did not say whether she will match Obama's disclosure and reveal all of her requests.

Obama has pledged to make Washington more transparent if he is elected president, and his campaign cast the disclosure as part of his call for more openness.

But I am certain the trend for headline slurs... then fine print at the end, absolving any guilt on Obama's part... will be stepped up on a grand scale soon.

Trouble for Obama:

# Obama's pastor attacks Clinton for being white

Rev Jeremiah Wright is “no longer serving on the African American Religious Leadership Committee”, a spokesman said in a brief statement as Mr Obama attempted to deal with the most serious crisis in his bid for the Democratic nomination.

He also hastily arranged a series of late-night television interviews to denounce the “inflammatory and appalling” remarks of the man who inspired his Audacity of Hope memoir and the speech to the 2004 party convention that brought him to national attention.

Footage of Mr Wright's fiery sermons dominated television network coverage after tapes were acquired from the Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago, where Mr Obama has worshipped for 20 years.

The clips show Mr Obama's spiritual mentor railing against Hillary Clinton because of her race, comparing Mr Obama to Jesus and blaming America for the Sept 11, 2001, terror attacks.

In one sermon he takes aim at former US president Bill Clinton's supposedly good relationship with the black community.

"Hillary is married to Bill, and Bill has been good to us. No he ain't! Bill did us, just like he did Monica Lewinsky. He was riding dirty," the clergyman boomed.

As video of Mr Wright was widely aired on television and the internet, Mr Obama responded by posting a blog condemning Mr Wright's statements on The Huffington Post:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/barack-obama/on-my-faith-and-my-church_b_91623.html

"The pastor of my church, Rev. Jeremiah Wright, who recently preached his last sermon and is in the process of retiring, has touched off a firestorm over the last few days. He's drawn attention as the result of some inflammatory and appalling remarks he made about our country, our politics, and my political opponents.

"Let me say at the outset that I vehemently disagree and strongly condemn the statements that have been the subject of this controversy. I categorically denounce any statement that disparages our great country or serves to divide us from our allies. I also believe that words that degrade individuals have no place in our public dialogue, whether it's on the campaign stump or in the pulpit. In sum, I reject outright the statements by Rev. Wright that are at issue.

... Rev. Wright preached the gospel of Jesus, a gospel on which I base my life. In other words, he has never been my political advisor; he's been my pastor. And the sermons I heard him preach always related to our obligation to love God and one another, to work on behalf of the poor, and to seek justice at every turn.

... The statements that Rev. Wright made that are the cause of this controversy were not statements I personally heard him preach while I sat in the pews of Trinity or heard him utter in private conversation. When these statements first came to my attention, it was at the beginning of my presidential campaign. I made it clear at the time that I strongly condemned his comments. But because Rev. Wright was on the verge of retirement, and because of my strong links to the Trinity faith community, where I married my wife and where my daughters were baptized, I did not think it appropriate to leave the church.

Let me repeat what I've said earlier. All of the statements that have been the subject of controversy are ones that I vehemently condemn. They in no way reflect my attitudes and directly contradict my profound love for this country.

With Rev. Wright's retirement and the ascension of my new pastor, Rev. Otis Moss, III, Michelle and I look forward to continuing a relationship with a church that has done so much good. And while Rev. Wright's statements have pained and angered me, I believe that Americans will judge me not on the basis of what someone else said, but on the basis of who I am and what I believe in; on my values, judgment and experience to be President of the United States.

Barack Obama needs the likes of Senator John Edwards batting more solidly on his side. Backed Obama, yes, but not made his running mate.
I wonder if Barack Obama has not made this move as he has not really believed, in his heart of hearts, that he'll get the nomination.

The odds are changing for the presidential election in November.
Barack Obama evens.
John McCain 13/8
Hilary Clinton 7/2

Democrats to win 4/9
Republicans to win 13/8

Problems for Barack Obama as his pastor Rev Jeremiah Wright speaks out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc2FCJ7zWEQ&feature=related

Right again Noirua...

Released 1 hour ago:

What's new: Obama's church fires back at pastor's critics

Some of the campaign and political news making headlines this morning:

• The Chicago Sun-Times -- Obama's church defends Rev. Wright: "Sen. Barack Obama's church staged a strong defense of its senior pastor Sunday, comparing criticism of the Rev. Jeremiah Wright to the assassination of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. ... 'Nearly three weeks before the 40th commemorative anniversary of the murder of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., the Rev. Dr. Jeremiah A. Wright Jr.'s character is being assassinated in the public sphere because he has preached a social gospel on behalf of oppressed women, children and men in America and around the globe,' the church said in a statement released Sunday."

Friday, after days of controversy stirred in part by video clips from some of Wright's sermons, Obama issued a statement calling the things Wright said "inflammatory and appalling." Obama said he "vehemently condemns" and "rejects" them. Among the statements Wright made were one in which he said blacks should sing "God damn America," not "God bless America." On Sunday morning's political talk shows, liberals and conservatives split over whether the Wright controversy will continue to follow Obama.

As someone said on the radio today, the race card was a Clinton invention.
Obama did particularly well in the near-all-white states of Wyoming etc .

"Geraldine Ferraro says the Obama campaign took her comments on race out of context and is appalled that they were used to attack Sen. Hillary Clinton."
Ferraro, 72 and feisty as ever, finally had enough and fell on her sword, sort of. She quit ...... "I personally think that this is the last time that the Obama campaign is going to be able to play this type of race card," she said on "NBC Nightly News," "because I think that's what it is. I really do."...........

btw, she has "form" with this little bit of bitchery...
Ferraro has since complained that her comments have been twisted out of context by those trying to gain political advantage. But she said much the same thing 10 days earlier, in a largely unnoticed radio interview. In fact, she made similar remarks about Jesse Jackson during his 1988 campaign, according to a Washington Post article. Because of Jackson's "radical views," Ferraro said then, "if Jesse Jackson were not black, he wouldn't be in the race."

..... she expressed exasperation that Sen. Chris Dodd (D-Conn.) endorsed Obama after dropping out of the presidential race, saying "it's the guys sticking together, John."

Gibson asked her why wasn't it credible that these superdelegates had chosen to back Obama for good reasons. Did she expect them to just hand the nomination to Clinton?

"No," she said, "but I expect them to look very carefully at who has the experience, John. Between me and you and your millions of listeners, if Barack Obama were a white man, would we be talking about this as a potential real problem for Hillary? . . . If he were a woman of any color, would he be in this position?"

That is such a classic Doris ;)
lol
"for not sticking with the sisterhood", yet
"it's the guys sticking together". :confused:

As someone said, she was the "ultimate token" candidate - probably talking to herself when she somehow transfererred / deflected the charge to Obama.

I mean, her resume hardly reads like a chapter of "My Brilliant Career" :-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geraldine_Ferraro

In 1984, former Vice President and Presidential candidate Walter Mondale selected Ferraro to be his running mate in the upcoming election. The positive polling Mondale received when she joined him did not last until November, and they were defeated in an electoral landslide by incumbent President Ronald Reagan and Vice President George H. W. Bush. Following the 1984 election, she ran two unsuccessful campaigns for a seat in the United States Senate, but did not garner the nomination of her party in the primary in either attempt.

Ferraro was a member of the finance committee for Hillary Clinton's 2008 presidential campaign until leaving that post on March 12, 2008 after making a controversal[1] remark concerning Barack Obama's race and popularity as a candidate.[2][3]

When Geraldine Ferraro makes her claims about Barack
"he's only winning votes because he's handsome and he's black"
I wonder if she realises the ugly words she's spoken
Is she talking to herself perhaps? - where pot calls kettle "token"?

As someone said on the radio today, the race card was a Clinton invention.
Obama did particularly well in the near-all-white states of etc .

Thats because Wyoming is traditionally Republican state, they hate the Clintons and there are only 8,000 democrat voters in the entire state. Obama got the majority of the vote as he did elsewhere, through the young first time voters.

Ferraro is absolutely correct, although it could have been put differently; there is no way Obama would be where he is if it was not for his colour. Its like most things these days, dont say what is true if it is not deemed politcally correct.

1. Thats because Wyoming is traditionally Republican state, they hate the Clintons and there are only 8,000 democrat voters in the entire state. Obama got the majority of the vote as he did elsewhere, through the young first time voters.

2. Ferraro is absolutely correct, although it could have been put differently; there is no way Obama would be where he is if it was not for his colour. Its like most things these days, dont say what is true if it is not deemed politcally correct.
A2A,
1. Now you mention it , 8000 votes - big deal lol - still they were white votes for Obama not Clinton yes? And there were other states as well in the same predicament - bigger than Wyoming.

So I sorta agree with you on the first point

2. but no way on the second. ;)