Votes: 18 7.9%
  • God guided evolution of man over millions of years

Votes: 30 13.2%
  • Pure evolution - No God Involved

Votes: 162 71.4%
  • Other (stated below)

Votes: 17 7.5%

• Total voters
Re: What do Aussies believe re Evolution?

She said the importance of these primates for understanding the skills necessary for the evolution of modern humans was unparalleled.

"They are our closest living relatives and thus are in a unique position to inform us about our evolutionary heritage," said Dr Parr.

IMO the funny thing about Humans is that we just can't bear to say "er..I dunno". We have to come up with a theory that seems to fit the facts the best and conclude it's the truth.

How we came to be here, how we evolved etc is just a huge question that, if we were just a teensy weensy bit honest with ourselves we should by saying "er....I dunno"

A lot of what is thought to be the truth about evolution on both sides of the argument (creationist v Darwinist) rings true, so shouldn't we be looking to devising an even better theory that fits all pints of view better? It seems to me that both sides of the argument have strengths & weaknesses that suggestsa better unifying theory exists?

How long is a day to God ?

I lean more to the adaptation theory than the evolution theory .

IMO the funny thing about Humans is that we just can't bear to say "er..I dunno". We have to come up with a theory that seems to fit the facts the best and conclude it's the truth.

How we came to be here, how we evolved etc is just a huge question that, if we were just a teensy weensy bit honest with ourselves we should by saying "er....I dunno"
Ding Dong! Get this man a beer. Spot on there.

A lot of what is thought to be the truth about evolution on both sides of the argument (creationist v Darwinist) rings true, so shouldn't we be looking to devising an even better theory that fits all pints of view better? It seems to me that both sides of the argument have strengths & weaknesses that suggestsa better unifying theory exists?

er... I dunno about that. :D

(But seems to make a lot of sense)

Further to post #80 (which concerned those test where chimps outperformed students at memory tests
You can even take the test yourself at BBC news here :-
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7124156.stm
here's another (similar) result ... (this time involving addition) ;)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/12/18/2122232.htm?section=justin
Chimps calculate as well as some uni students
Posted 23 minutes ago

Researchers from Duke University in the United States have found that chimpanzees can perform mental addition as well as some university students.

The researchers tested 14 students and two chimps by flashing two sets of dots briefly on a computer screen, then getting them to pick the correct number from two choices on another screen.

The students were not allowed to verbalise their calculations.

Both chimps and humans typically answered within one second and with a similar level of accuracy.

The research follows the finding by Japanese researchers earlier this month that young chimpanzees performed better than human adults at a memory game.

This section i cut out is about how civilisation come to be.Man is every bit the likeness to the rest of this planets inhabitants.I find false communication via words the biggest disappointment of all.

“Having been forced into civilized communities as a last resort, people found themselves faced with increased social inequality, greater violence in the form of organised conflict, and at the mercy of self-appointed elites who used religious authority and political ideology to bolster their position. These models of government are still with us today, and we may understand them better by understanding how civilisation arose by accident as a result of the last great global climatic upheaval.”

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/09/060910143119.htm

The Evo is a much better car than the Lancer it is replacing, beautiful gear changes, torque to die for and would give Darwin's beard a twig if he were still alive. Overall 5 stars for this beautiful car.

gg

The Evo is a much better car than the Lancer it is replacing, beautiful gear changes, torque to die for and would give Darwin's beard a twig if he were still alive. Overall 5 stars for this beautiful car.

gg

LOL gg,

For some more humour, SBS @ 8.30 have 'Intelligent Design on Trial' .... should be a hoot.

... SBS @ 8.30 have 'Intelligent Design on Trial' .... should be a hoot.
Rats lol - I had the mother-in law here (very religious) - not allowed to watch it lol - still I'm hoping I can track it down on their website. :eek:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=uIwiPsgRrOs
embedded:-
"Creation Science 101" by Roy Zimmerman

Attachments

• intelligent design.jpg
    intelligent design.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 147

Where we (humankind) came from, will probably be never known...
We are on this earth from somewhere, either evolved or left behind...

It's how we approach the future in order to maintain our survival

Where we (humankind) came from, will probably be never known...
It is very well understood if you care to look.

2020, yes the first part will be available on their website. Can't find it either just yet ... the ID'ers are quick off the mark :eek:

Now you have all sorted out one God what about this one?
Islam is not a religion, nor is it a cult. In it's fullest form, it is a complete, total, 100% system of life.
Islam has religious, legal, political, economic, social, and military components. The religious component
is a springboard for all of the other components. Islamization begins when there are sufficient Muslims in a
Country to agitate for their religious privileges.

When politically correct, tolerant, and culturally diverse societies agree to Muslim demands for their
Religious privileges, some of the other components tend to creep in as well. Here's how it works.

As long as the Muslim population remains around or under 2% in
Any given country, they will be for the most part be regarded as a
Peace-loving minority, and not as a threat to other citizens. This is
The case in:

United States -- Muslim 0.6%
Australia -- Muslim 1.5%
Canada -- Muslim 1.9%
China -- Muslim 1.8%
Italy -- Muslim 1.5%
Norway -- Muslim 1.8%

At 2% to 5%, they begin to proselytize to other ethnic minorities and disaffected groups,
Often with major recruiting from the jails and among street gangs. This is happening in:

Denmark -- Muslim 2%
Germany -- Muslim 3.7%
United Kingdom -- Muslim 2.7%
Spain -- Muslim 4%
Thailand -- Muslim 4.6%

From 5% on, they exercise an inordinate influence in proportion to their percentage of the population.
For example, they will push for the introduction of halal (clean by Islamic standards) food, thereby
Securing food preparation jobs for Muslims. They will increase pressure on supermarket chains to
Feature halal on their shelves -- along with threats for failure to comply. This is occurring in:

France -- Muslim 8%
Philippines -- Muslim 5%
Sweden -- Muslim 5%
Switzerland -- Muslim 4.3%
The Netherlands -- Muslim 5.5%
Trinidad & Tobago -- Muslim 5.8%

At this point, they will work to get the ruling government to allow them to rule themselves
(within their ghettos) under Sharia, the Islamic Law. The ultimate goal of Islamists is to establish
Sharia law over the entire world.

When Muslims approach 10% of the population, they tend to increase lawlessness as a means
Of complaint about their conditions. In Paris, we are already seeing car-burnings. Any non-Muslim
Action offends Islam, and results in uprisings and threats, such as in Amsterdam, with opposition
To Mohammed cartoons and films about Islam.

Such tensions are seen daily, particularly in Muslim sections, in:

Guyana -- Muslim 10%
India -- Muslim 13.4%
Israel -- Muslim 16%
Kenya -- Muslim 10%
Russia -- Muslim 15%

After reaching 20%, nations can expect hair-trigger rioting, jihad militia formations, sporadic killings,
And the burnings of Christian churches and Jewish synagogues, such as in:

Ethiopia -- Muslim 32.8%

At 40%, nations experience widespread massacres, chronic terror attacks, and ongoing militia
Warfare, such as in:

Bosnia -- Muslim 40%
Chad -- Muslim 53.1%
Lebanon -- Muslim 59.7%

From 60%, nations experience unfettered persecution of non-believers of all other religions
(including non-conforming Muslims), sporadic ethnic cleansing (genocide), use of Sharia Law as a weapon,
And Jizya, the tax placed on infidels, such as in:

Albania -- Muslim 70%
Malaysia -- Muslim 60.4%
Qatar -- Muslim 77.5%
Sudan -- Muslim 70%

After 80%, expect daily intimidation and violent jihad, some State-run ethnic cleansing, and even
Some genocide, as these nations drive out the infidels, and move toward 100% Muslim, such as has been
Experienced and in some ways is on-going in:

Bangladesh -- Muslim 83%
Egypt -- Muslim 90%
Gaza -- Muslim 98.7%
Indonesia -- Muslim 86.1%
Iran -- Muslim 98%
Iraq -- Muslim 97%
Jordan -- Muslim 92%
Morocco -- Muslim 98.7%
Pakistan -- Muslim 97%
Palestine -- Muslim 99%
Syria -- Muslim 90%
Tajikistan -- Muslim 90%
Turkey -- Muslim 99.8%
United Arab Emirates -- Muslim 96%

100% will usher in the peace of 'Dar-es-Salaam' -- the Islamic House of Peace. Here there's supposed
to be peace, because everybody is a Muslim, the Madrasses are the only schools, and the Koran is the
only word, such as in:

Afghanistan -- Muslim 100%
Saudi Arabia -- Muslim 100%
Somalia -- Muslim 100%
Yemen -- Muslim 100%

Unfortunately, peace is never achieved, as in these 100% states the most radical Muslims intimidate
and spew hatred, and satisfy their blood lust by killing less radical Muslims, for a variety of reasons.
''Before I was nine I had learned the basic canon of Arab life. It was me against my brother; me and my
brother against our father; my family against my cousins and the clan; the clan against the tribe; the tribe
against the world, and all of us against the infidel". ----- Leon Uris, 'The Haj'

It is important to understand that in some countries, with well under 100% Muslim populations,
such as France, the minority Muslim populations live in ghettos, within which they are 100% Muslim,
and within which they live by Sharia Law. The national police do not even enter these ghettos.
There are no national courts nor schools nor non-Muslim religious facilities. In such situations,
Muslims do not integrate into the community at large. The children attend madrasses. They learn
only the Koran. To even associate with an infidel is a crime punishable with death. Therefore,
in some areas of certain nations, Muslim Imams and extremists exercise more power than the
national average would indicate.

Today's 1.5 billion Muslims make up 22% of the world's population. But their birth rates dwarf the
birth rates of Christians, Hindus, Buddhists, and Jews, and all other believers. Muslims will exceed
50% of the world's population by the end of this century.

--------------------------------------------
Adapted from Dr. Peter Hammond's book:
"Slavery, Terrorism and Islam: The Historical Roots and Contemporary Threat"

Now you have all sorted out one God what about this one?
Islam is not a religion, nor is it a cult. In it's fullest form, it is a complete, total, 100% system of life.
hi glen - intresting post / article , but ...
you sure you picked the right threat, lol ? :confused:

hi glen - intresting post / article , but ...
you sure you picked the right threat, lol ? :confused:
Hi 2020, As the thread has gone a bit off topic it opens the way for me.
Are most people who call themselves Aussies really Australians, or are they really against their own country due to a could not care less attitude.

Do they take AUD's abroad and spend it on holidays and not care to stay here in harder times?
Do they just buy from shops items made in other countries in times when they should think about Australia?
A good idea to work abroad and send back foreign currencies in difficult times. Do they do that?

Evolution places us by chance in a particular country and we should bat for our team and take all the catches.

Science is the art of coming up with a theory and then trying to disprove it, if you can't you then publish the theory. Evolution has stood this test and hasn't been disproved scientifically, the biblical theories have failed this test repeatedly.

When science fails to prove your religious faith, you just employ your own scientists to come up with theories that suit your agenda and change proven scientific method to give you the outcomes you want. Hence "intelligent design" the theory that we are to well designed to be an accident, the amercian christian right have embraced this failed theory as gospel and have started teaching it in schools. GW Bush is a supporter of this kooky rubbish.

Can't see how evolution has stood the test? There is NO evidence to show that one species can evolve into another species, unless you consider changes in a finch's beak because they live on a different island to make them a different species!?

No fossil evidence to show inbetween species, no hard evidence of inter-species species if you know what i mean. How can there have been all this evolution from one species into the next and so on without ANY evidence of the in between stages.

Also no evidence that you can create life from non-life so where did life come from.

Also, DNA is the basis for all life and is information - information implies an intelligent source, so where did the information come from.

etc etc. lots of arguments against MACRO evolution. This is where the crux of the matter lies IMO - the anti-God coalition grabbed Darwins theory, which was based on evidence of MICRO evolution (changes due to environment) and thought "we can use this to put an end to creation and hence God by using it to imply that we all evolved from pools of inert chemicals"

Just my :2twocents

What if a person has dual australian\american citizenship. If he\she votes on here, is same person voting with american thoughts or australian thoughts?

Can't see how evolution has stood the test? There is NO evidence to show that one species can evolve into another species, unless you consider changes in a finch's beak because they live on a different island to make them a different species!?

No fossil evidence to show inbetween species, no hard evidence of inter-species species if you know what i mean. How can there have been all this evolution from one species into the next and so on without ANY evidence of the in between stages.

Also no evidence that you can create life from non-life so where did life come from.

Also, DNA is the basis for all life and is information - information implies an intelligent source, so where did the information come from.

etc etc. lots of arguments against MACRO evolution. This is where the crux of the matter lies IMO - the anti-God coalition grabbed Darwins theory, which was based on evidence of MICRO evolution (changes due to environment) and thought "we can use this to put an end to creation and hence God by using it to imply that we all evolved from pools of inert chemicals"

Just my :2twocents

That's rubbish - you need to have watched the documentary "Intelligent Design on Trial" on SBS last night (mentioned up above in this thread) that went through in detail the court transcripts of a case in the US where all the points you raised above are debunked by expert scientists.

Eg - there are NUMEROUS examples of "in between" species fossils have now been found and analysed. It's a creationist myth that there are none.

Eg - Molecular biology provides many situations where Theory of Evolution could be dis-proved, but instead it provides an ever increasing mountain of evidence to SUPPORT evolution. One example of this creationists always used is the Chromozone count in great apes vs humans (24 vs 23). Where did the extra Chromozone go? Well it turns out that analysis of human DNA can show exactly where 2 Chromozones have mutated and joined to form a single one - the science behind this discovery is widely accepted and undisputed. There are many more examples, but that's a good one.

Beej

Last night there was a documentary on SBS called "Judgement Day - Intelligent Design on Trial." Part 1

Around four out of ten Americans believe in creationism as set out in Genesis. Because of the separation of church and state religion cannot be taught in schools, whilst evolution is taught in science classes. This is based on the Darwinian principles of natural selection and survival of the fittest.

Naturally this is anathema to the the religious fundamentalists who are trying to introduce a pseudo science called Intelligent Design into the school curricula. They sneakily make no mention of a god in their textbook.

I recommend this program to those who wish to know more about what the nutters are up to.

It can be seen on www.sbs.com.au Go to Television - Watch Full Episodes.

That's rubbish - you need to have watched the documentary "Intelligent Design on Trial" on SBS last night (mentioned up above in this thread) that went through in detail the court transcripts of a case in the US where all the points you raised above are debunked by expert scientists.

Eg - there are NUMEROUS examples of "in between" species fossils have now been found and analysed. It's a creationist myth that there are none.

Eg - Molecular biology provides many situations where Theory of Evolution could be dis-proved, but instead it provides an ever increasing mountain of evidence to SUPPORT evolution. One example of this creationists always used is the Chromozone count in great apes vs humans (24 vs 23). Where did the extra Chromozone go? Well it turns out that analysis of human DNA can show exactly where 2 Chromozones have mutated and joined to form a single one - the science behind this discovery is widely accepted and undisputed. There are many more examples, but that's a good one.

Beej

Alright Beej, what about origins of life then?

Where did DNA come from - and please don't say it built itself up from nothing!!!! or appeared from another planet!!!!

Where did life come from - and don't tell me it came from non-life!!!