Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

WDS - Woodside Energy Group

Crude Oil WTI Futures

+0.42(+0.52%)

Heading in the right direction, all good so far.

Was thinking, materials and energy were beaten down for a long time. Investors probably thinking that and starting to drive these sectors? We have another 'hurdle' on Friday. If I remember right, it's the inflation data for the US?

From 'Market Matters' morning report:

Woodside Energy Group Ltd (WDS) $29.06
WDS slipped -0.2% on Wednesday, even when the local Energy Sector gained +0.6%. Over recent months, as WDS traded below $28, we have said, “WDS is looking for a low.” On balance, we believe that WDS has now completed its 12-month 30% correction, but it’s not our preferred energy play from a growth perspective. Although its attractive, fully franked yield makes it interesting for income.

Great looking chart , was on my list but didnt take it

ScreenShot951.jpg

but will it work for Woodside?.
Woodside Energy (ASX:WDS) has announced its acquisition of struggling US liquefied natural gas (LNG) developer Tellurian for $1.2 billion. This deal is set to transform the Australian company into a “global LNG powerhouse.”

The agreement, revealed by both companies on Sunday, concludes a long-standing saga for Tellurian, which faced numerous challenges in launching its $25 billion Driftwood export project in Louisiana. The company's chair was ousted in December amid these struggles.

Despite our recent progress, we’ve been clear that the company’s situation necessitated an exploration of all possible alternatives, including a potential sale,” wrote Tellurian executive chair Martin Houston in a letter to shareholders. “Ultimately, we decided the attractive offer in hand outweighed the risks and uncertainty associated with going it alone.”

Tellurian, founded in 2016 by Houston and US LNG pioneer Charif Souki, aimed to develop the Driftwood project on a 1,200-acre site along the Calcasieu River. If completed, it would become one of the largest export terminals in the country. However, the project faced multiple setbacks, including losing key buyers and struggling to secure funding despite a surge in demand for US gas following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

Souki, credited with initiating the US LNG export industry at his former company Cheniere, was removed as executive chair at Tellurian in December as the company’s difficulties escalated.

The company’s struggles led to a significant decline in its market value, dropping from a high of nearly $3 billion in 2017 to under $500 million on Friday. The sale price, including $900 million in cash and the company’s debt, represents a 75 percent premium to its most recent close.

For Woodside, Australia’s largest oil and gas developer, this acquisition provides a stronger position in the thriving US LNG export industry at a time when demand for the super-chilled fuel is expected to grow rapidly.

The acquisition of Tellurian and its Driftwood LNG development opportunity positions Woodside to be a global LNG powerhouse,” said Woodside chief executive Meg O’Neill

Added 250 @ 27.53

Not at all sure of where it's going but added half of what I want on the chance that this is just a retracement of the breakout from an hypothesised falling wedge or 'ending diagonal' as some call it. Beats doing crosswords.

Held
Holding

but will it work for Woodside?.
Woodside Energy (ASX:WDS) has announced its acquisition of struggling US liquefied natural gas (LNG) developer Tellurian for $1.2 billion. This deal is set to transform the Australian company into a “global LNG powerhouse.”

The agreement, revealed by both companies on Sunday, concludes a long-standing saga for Tellurian, which faced numerous challenges in launching its $25 billion Driftwood export project in Louisiana. The company's chair was ousted in December amid these struggles.

Despite our recent progress, we’ve been clear that the company’s situation necessitated an exploration of all possible alternatives, including a potential sale,” wrote Tellurian executive chair Martin Houston in a letter to shareholders. “Ultimately, we decided the attractive offer in hand outweighed the risks and uncertainty associated with going it alone.”

Tellurian, founded in 2016 by Houston and US LNG pioneer Charif Souki, aimed to develop the Driftwood project on a 1,200-acre site along the Calcasieu River. If completed, it would become one of the largest export terminals in the country. However, the project faced multiple setbacks, including losing key buyers and struggling to secure funding despite a surge in demand for US gas following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

Souki, credited with initiating the US LNG export industry at his former company Cheniere, was removed as executive chair at Tellurian in December as the company’s difficulties escalated.

The company’s struggles led to a significant decline in its market value, dropping from a high of nearly $3 billion in 2017 to under $500 million on Friday. The sale price, including $900 million in cash and the company’s debt, represents a 75 percent premium to its most recent close.

For Woodside, Australia’s largest oil and gas developer, this acquisition provides a stronger position in the thriving US LNG export industry at a time when demand for the super-chilled fuel is expected to grow rapidly.

The acquisition of Tellurian and its Driftwood LNG development opportunity positions Woodside to be a global LNG powerhouse,” said Woodside chief executive Meg O’Neill
all very interesting ... but how is the 'transformational ' acquisition of the BHP petroleum arm going

one might have thought that would have taken some digestion

Woodside seems to have bigger eyes than their belly

i hold WDS ( partly courtesy of BHP )

Really think this is great news, Trump wants to Drill drill drill.

O/S atm so it took a while to understand what is going on. (As if i ever will)
Sold some CSL today ...... might throw it in WDS if there is any sign of weakness tomorrow.

Gaurav Sodhi had a sell on WDS about a week ago.( I like Gaurav's articles, he has clearly set out arguments)

To paraphrase, too much capital spend with Driftwood adding to the Scarborough requirements and not enough cash return.

I can't help but agree, I'll have another look once Scarborough is up and running.

Selling pressure has relented. I almost added yesterday under $27. I'm viewing the last three days taken together as bullish. It recovered immediately from the break yesterday below recent horizontal support. We can see an up day, a gap down indecisive day (i.e close = open), and a strong day today which will close above the highs of the previous two. What's missing is some volume. Price has kept outside the prior 9 months downtrend during this recent downdraft, so to me the idea of a break above a bullish falling wedge (or 'ending diagonal' as some would put it) is still in play. I really should be adding based on the daily picture.

DAILY
big (24).gif

Last edited:
In SriLanka atm but haven't traded this much in a while.
Bought Quite a bit last couple of days.
I Like the Driftwood story - esp if Trump wins so hope is with me.

Note: I certainly aint no expert and will offload legacy holdings when I fell appropriate.

In SriLanka atm but haven't traded this much in a while.
Bought Quite a bit last couple of days.
I Like the Driftwood story - esp if Trump wins so hope is with me.

Note: I certainly aint no expert and will offload legacy holdings when I fell appropriate.
Enjoy your holidays and I hope you are on the right track.
I am a holder.

Bought Quite a bit last couple of days. Amazing place. Love the people ...... They are doing it so hard.

Off-Topic
@UMike, I’m just making an observation here. Tourists often "haggle over prices" at these spots, unaware that locals "struggle" to make ends meet. Human nature never ceases to amaze me.

You might have been talking about share trading, but I’m referring to trading with the locals.

Skate.

Off-Topic
@UMike, I’m just making an observation here. Tourists often "haggle over prices" at these spots, unaware that locals "struggle" to make ends meet. Human nature never ceases to amaze me.

You might have been talking about share trading, but I’m referring to trading with the locals.

Skate.
Once again you make an amazing point and I live the quandary of trying to live like a local... With Local prices..... But then how to be generous (financially).
Esp when I'm doing so well lately re Share market and optimism for WDS (phew saved the thread)