Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

WDS - Woodside Energy Group

I had a short on it yesterday at $70 but pulled out today... It seems to show too much strength at the moment and it simply looks like a pullback will form before another push up:2twocents

Pity about the short at $70. But, it looks like it has broken through resistance of $56.00 today. Should be interesting.

Charts are looking good. Energy sector has been doing well lately with all the good reporting comming out for oil stocks.

Woodside is going to report its second half earning on Wednesday. So it is going to have record earnings no doubt on the back of high oil prices last FYI.

IMO I'm expecting a 5% to 10% jump on Wednesday, hopefully.

I'm still new at this so everyone do your own research!

Anyone else?

WPL's gotta be looking good right, with oil on the way back up and WPL at a support level.

$51 with oil in the 90's going back up. I'm surmising it'd get back to around $58 soon. Whatchya reckon ?

I don't think the normal rules apply this week! WPL's share price will, like every other stock, depend on what events unfold in the money markets over the next few days. It's just madness... :D

Comsec made me mad just then.

I'm trying to buy at $48, its says "cannot accept at market order" due to trading hours. It was 10:43am. So for the next 5 minutes I'm trying to place the order and it kept saying, "cannot accept".

Then it went to $50, then it finally accepted the order then promptly dropped below $50.

I'm fairly sure the W bracket stocks open at 10:16am normally ?
Does anyone know for sure when the W stocks opened this morning ?
Oh well, the daily min says $49.5, so maybe I was getting worked up over nothing.

This one has dropped like everything else. At around $37 do people think this is good value? Im becoming interested in this stock...

depends if you believe oil and LNG is likely to remain high. I'm holding mine through, and will accumulate again. The asset debt and operating revenue is insanity, to me these are cash cows of the current climate but who cares about those now - its the future demand for oil/energy and it depends what you think.

Trend is the freind and WPL seems to have lost its market darling status with futher downside.
Long term it will be a big winner and a world class company.
A world leader in LNG with acerages everyone wants.

Hi there
Relooking at WPL it looks a good value proposition at current prices below $45 or so. Huntleys have it as a stock of the week.

Given its strong future with gas and LNG and the likely rebound in oil prices over time it llok slike a buy to me at current levels.

Thoughts anyone?

gerg

Given its strong future with gas and LNG and the likely rebound in oil prices over time it llok slike a buy to me at current levels.

I agree, picked up some the other week. Absolutely no idea if this is the bottom or not, but if you take a 3 to 5 year view I think this is an attractive level.
The world is short energy and natural gas will become more popular in future years as it releases less CO2 per unit of energy compared to coal or oil.

Although, when Huntley's recommends something I get concerned...

agreed with above comments, picked some up yesterday at $42. was abit annoyed though as a nearly bought some last week at 39.50 but cancelled the order, wish i didnt now. not too fussed though as i think either way at its current levels and the way things could head in the future, its a company to keep an eye on.

I think we identified this one in the H&S thread and it made the target, plus some.

In a support zone here.

Looks like 5 down to my untrained eye.

Is oil oversold?

hmmmmmm

Attachments

• WPL.gif
    WPL.gif
    29.5 KB · Views: 11
Two issues on oil. World recession/depression will depress demand and certainly prices for the immediate future.

However the rapid depletion of current oil reserves from present production will see even a reduced demand hit even lower production levels. If we are to believe it, the IEA (international Energy Agency) just released a report identifying the rapid depletion rate of most of the worlds large oil fields. I believe the figure was between 5% and 9% a year.

Ive been researching the level of oil & gas reserves for WPL. From what I saw oil reserves seem very substantial but is there any way of determining how long these reserves for oil & gas will last based on what is actually determined?

I think we identified this one in the H&S thread and it made the target, plus some.

In a support zone here.

Looks like 5 down to my untrained eye.

Is oil oversold?

hmmmmmm

Thanks Kennas - nice textbook chart for a H&S. Looks to me like WPL at least is oversold. Not really sure about POO in general though. Would like to think that with OPEC looking to further cut production, that will build a floor under POO. That might at least stop the haemorraging that has been going on with WPL. Sadly I bought it when it was a bargain at $50.

Got to believe in those long term strategies.....

Woodside- Voelte as director of WAN

I have a small shareholding in Woodside. Other than that, no relationship past or present with Woodside nor any axe to grind with WPL. I do not think it is appropriate for Mr Voelte as a very well paid MD/CEO to take on a directorship of WAN. Surely, the basis of his Woodside remuneration is that he will devote his energy and time to his Woodside role. The Woodside Board would have approved Mr Voelte's new role - I cannot understand why they would agree to this. I doubt that if a middle ranking manager at Woodside wanted to take time off regularly to work at a second paid job during normal working hours, that that would be sanctioned. Isn't this part of the justification for the huge salaries paid to CEO's of publicly listed companies, that they give their all whilst in the role? This does not mean that they cannot have a life outside of their CEO role, but perhaps their spare time is better spent relaxing and recuperating from the demands of their full time role, so that they can better perform their role, rather than more of the same at another company.

Re: Woodside- Voelte as director of WAN

I have a small shareholding in Woodside. Other than that, no relationship past or present with Woodside nor any axe to grind with WPL. I do not think it is appropriate for Mr Voelte as a very well paid MD/CEO to take on a directorship of WAN. Surely, the basis of his Woodside remuneration is that he will devote his energy and time to his Woodside role. The Woodside Board would have approved Mr Voelte's new role - I cannot understand why they would agree to this. I doubt that if a middle ranking manager at Woodside wanted to take time off regularly to work at a second paid job during normal working hours, that that would be sanctioned. Isn't this part of the justification for the huge salaries paid to CEO's of publicly listed companies, that they give their all whilst in the role? This does not mean that they cannot have a life outside of their CEO role, but perhaps their spare time is better spent relaxing and recuperating from the demands of their full time role, so that they can better perform their role, rather than more of the same at another company.

I think you misunderstand the role of a CEO. It is to act to oversee the company and generally set its direction and agendas. The real work is done by others. It has absolutely nothing to do with feathering their own nest and going to functions on private jets.

With regard to directorships outside the company, any CEO would argue allows them to be better connected and has absolutely nothing at all to do with having an easy lucrative job when their CEO contract runs out.

WPL at 44.00 in the pre-open against close of 36 yesterday. Have I missed something?

Has anywone heard anythings. That after oil went under 40, seems very strange! But again that is the market for you.

:)

Hi folks,

WPL in 2009 ..... expecting some big winners in the oil sector,
in the coming year, but January 2009 may bring some negative
surprises for some oilers ... most notably WPL, particularly around:

02-05012009 ... negative news expected

07012009 ... minor and positive cycle

16-23012009 ... 3 significant time cycles to bring
negative news for WPL ..... ???

STU will be another oiler that may suffer, with the cycles
detailed, above.

Soon after, STO and STX will also suffer, as several negative
time cycles come into play, between 23012009 and 20022009.

More later.

have a great day

paul

:)

=====