Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

WDS - Woodside Energy Group

Personally im quite happy too hold WPL over the next 5 years without a takeover.
WPL will become a major global oil and gas company in the years ahead
As I said maybe BHP diest there oil and gas assets too WPL they are partners in a number of ventures

Was assuring to see WPL close just short of $50 today, it was hovering around the $46 and $48 range for most of the last month really, fought a lot of resistance at $48 (on three separate occasions that I can remember) in the last few weeks, seems positive. Has been hit hard unfairly since November (or was it early December??) after its results were released, still think this has a bit of room to go higher especially if the price of oil continues as it has been lately.

I'm a bit disappointed. After all the bad news I was expecting the price to drop at least 20% and sold some of my shares in expectation.

I can't see the price justification at present though long term (over 3 years) Woodside will still be a good investment.

WPL on a roll higher oil prices set too continue over the northern hemisphere winter.
In the mean time increased production from there new oil producing fields maybe some news on discoverys in the NW of Aus.
Pluto and the NWS will be constantly under the microscope whilst construction nears completion.
Maybe these are the bargin prices never too be seen again ?
All just my humble opinion

Still showing strenth in depth with oil price setteling at around $96 a barrel for now anyway with more upside forecast.
Looking forward to the half year reports and dividend paid.

WPL still rising even though oil dropped very slightly.
Pluto construction will be the backbone of WPL sp over the next 2 years and NWS Train 5 approaching completion will also help push it along.
Maybe more LNG deals being signed and a peak oil theory will also be beneficial.

Fire is reported at karratha LNG operation.
I dont know the full extent of it yet but understand the plant has undergone ESD. Unless it is a minor fire (although understand to be in substation) with not impact on startup in short term, I doubt if rise in share price today will hold.

Just when you think you have hit a purple patch then along comes a fire !
Production back tommorrow but feel that NWS has become a bit less important too WPL only 14% ownership still very important but focus for WPL is Pluto and Browse Basin and new oil production projects.
Exploration will hopefully come up trumps in both of these areas and the it should real hit blue sky !

I think it should be a concern that WPL did not hit all time highs alongside the record oil price.

And as I said a few days back, any weakness in oil, and I'd be shorting this. Oil has a few gaps to fill IMO before it holds above $100 I think.

However, WPL is showing remarkable strength, so I'm not confident of it reaching my eventual target of about 42.50.

Woodside Petroleum has agreed to buy the Northwest Shelf oil assets held by Royal Dutch Shell for around 400 MLN AUD. There have been no details on how the purchase will be financed

I think it should be a concern that WPL did not hit all time highs alongside the record oil price.

And as I said a few days back, any weakness in oil, and I'd be shorting this. Oil has a few gaps to fill IMO before it holds above $100 I think.

However, WPL is showing remarkable strength, so I'm not confident of it reaching my eventual target of about 42.50.

Yes but with Skippy at nice levels WPL is selling in AUD and doing nicely , much the same as BHP and it oil sales . It's this where the arguement for a basket price on oil , probably get's its foundations . Not happy with the gas margins though on a business prospective , moral is the better foundation .

If you look at the shelf area and the surrounding leases etc. it doesn't look like much on a map , but the gas there is going way too cheap to the US .
But we must do something to protect the Northern Hemisphere , if we have gas in the Southern region we should ensure there a nice warm group of trading partners in the North . The Shelf itself has enough gas there to keep the Australian domestic supply up in self sufficiency areas for many decades , but we want the oil . That's where the margins increase beautifully . Got to get the gas off first .......... ay but.

Good to see you back chops too , you been w w wwwor that word ?

So no-one has any interest in this one? It went ex-div today, 55 cents, and it still managed to finish up some 78 cents, so really a gain of $1.33. Seems to be unstoppable lately, have been holding this actually since November last year, the only stock I didn't sell during the last crash, and its performed nicely. Anyone willing to keep holding this or even buy in now? I'm speculating on a further rise in the price of oil given the tensions in the Middle East again with Turkey/Iraq and the usual Iranian war-mongering.

I think this is still a dollar or so off its all time highs set a while back, and with the near record oil price... all signs point to further upside IMO :2twocents

Profit taking will soon drive WPL back too around $46 combined with a drop in the price of oil as the northern hemisphere winter draws too a close

Lower oil prices are better for Woodside's margins.

Man what a good investment this company is, ridiculously good pipeline but just scared to buy it at $55.

Profit taking will soon drive WPL back too around $46 combined with a drop in the price of oil as the northern hemisphere winter draws too a close

hope you're right Lucky_Country cause i sold a parcel today hoping to buy more on a drop... wasn't convinced it would push through $56, indices are turning and run up has been so rapid is there a couple of gaps to fill?

On the weekly the band between $48.50 and $52 looks interesting when compared with fib on todays price (not shown), and support at $47 if they fail

Attachments

• wpl_ax23aug07_to_26mar08.png
    wpl_ax23aug07_to_26mar08.png
    11.1 KB · Views: 114
This stock is flying!!! Today was the first sign of profit taking... Just waiting for the first sign of a turn and will look to buy at around $50... might short it on the way down:D

I came within about 2 cents of selling this at $56.95 sometime this morning, but I wasn't at the computer and couldn't re-adjust the sell order. Oh well, lets hope its up again tomorrow :banghead: Will probably get out tomorrow irrespective just to close down a position and sit back and watch a little.

A drop down to $46 again? Big call, thats 15-20% down from here virtually, it's all going to depend on the price of oil really, so you can't say that with much certainty -- all it's going to take to push the price of oil above $100 again is another incident in Iraq, Iran, Turkey, another battle with Exxon and Venezuela, a refinery shutdown, hurricane, etc. Too many factors on the positive side for oil lately.

Also interesting to note that WPL's peers today (namely STO, AED, OSH) all down, although STO's been on a moderate decline since its results last week.

Oil price looking a little toppy. WPL is rather expensive atm. They are far better opportunities elsewhere. I am contemplating taking a short position.

Oil price looking a little toppy. WPL is rather expensive atm. They are far better opportunities elsewhere. I am contemplating taking a short position.

Is that a shorters ramp Gekko?

Hmm Oil is surging and WPL is on a run, cant believe people are not jumping on WPL. I am gonna get some , i think.

Just jokes Gekko Are you after confirmation that shorting is the way to go with WPL or linviting comment? ;):)

Well I dumped mine at $57.05 this afternoon, not sure the oil inventory data coming out of the US tonight will be good (hasn't been good for the past few weeks) so expecting a drop in US crude price tonight.

This stock went from a low of $40.XX in Jan to a near record high $57.31 today -- I wonder how much longer this run can continue? From what I can see, the past 12 sessions have seen 11 days where its share price close UP from the previous close, highly unusual, including a day which went ex-dividend. :eek:

Maybe shorting this stock now isn't such a bad idea!

Attachments

• wpl.gif
    wpl.gif
    9.6 KB · Views: 78