Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

TSLA - Tesla Motors Inc (NASDAQ)

Tesla cuts US prices of Models Y, X, S by $2,000​

Be more earn downgrades coming on these shrinking margins . Trading on around 4 times '25 forecast sales and a '25 mutilpe of around 40 , certainly getting in the value area imo . Good buying in next week or so i think

View attachment 175264View attachment 175265

roughly 10% revision to downside since earnings , still an easy short the pop trade on TSLA , the gift that keeps giving

ScreenShot638.jpg

Elon Musk has taken an axe to Teslas workforce loping off entire divisions and cutting, so far, 14,000 people off the payroll. Just to make it interesting there were many employees who first heard about losing their jobs when they tuned up for work !

Then a few days later Elon is putting a move of shareholders for a $55Billion pay deal. What is the connection between sacking 14,000 staff and then demanding a $55Billion pay deal ?

Calculate the wage of the 14,000 employers at an average of 100k PA each over 40years.
You get $56 BILLION.

Elon wants the life time wages of 14,000 employees as his pay packet.

Elon Musk has taken an axe to Teslas workforce loping off entire divisions and cutting, so far, 14,000 people off the payroll. Just to make it interesting there were many employees who first heard about losing their jobs when they tuned up for work !

Then a few days later Elon is putting a move of shareholders for a $55Billion pay deal. What is the connection between sacking 14,000 staff and then demanding a $55Billion pay deal ?

Calculate the wage of the 14,000 employers at an average of 100k PA each over 40years.
You get $56 BILLION.

Elon wants the life time wages of 14,000 employees as his pay packet.

The upcoming Tesla AGM is open to all share holders to cast a vote. The bulk of those 14,000 workers have Tesla shares, and a lot of those would probably have family and friends with Tesla shares, they can all vote and change certain things. Including Musk’s original pay deal, which isn’t for cash but it is for the original agreement for shares, which had been approved by shareholders originally.

Lucky we still have a democracy.

How will you be voting?

The upcoming Tesla AGM is open to all share holders to cast a vote. The bulk of those 14,000 workers have Tesla shares, and a lot of those would probably have family and friends with Tesla shares, they can all vote and change certain things. Including Musk’s original pay deal, which isn’t for cash but it is for the original agreement for shares, which had been approved by shareholders originally.

Lucky we still have a democracy.

How will you be voting?
I don't have shares in Tesla so no probs there.

The share issue Elon wants as payment is part of exercising overwhelming control over the company. I believe the issue facing shareholders is how closely the interests of all shareholders including employees is affected by the control Elon Musk exerts on the company.

I think his actions are very questionable in terms of company outcome. It seems as if there is no effective Board of Tesla. It is Elons way or the highway.

As far as a democracy goes. Elon and big companies don't do "democracy" do they ?

I don't have shares in Tesla so no probs there.

The share issue Elon wants as payment is part of exercising overwhelming control over the company. I believe the issue facing shareholders is how closely the interests of all shareholders including employees is affected by the control Elon Musk exerts on the company.

I think his actions are very questionable in terms of company outcome. It seems as if there is no effective Board of Tesla. It is Elons way or the highway.

As far as a democracy goes. Elon and big companies don't do "democracy" do they ?

And again, all the shareholders have a voice and a vote, Elon Musk can not twist their arms anymore than a politician can twist a voters arm.

"This week is all about Tesla. Autonomous Technology and Robotics Director of Research Sam Korus and Associate Portfolio Manager Nick Grous are joined by ARK Director Of Investment Analysis and Institutional Strategy Tasha Keeney to debrief on Tesla's latest earnings call and discuss their financial future.
"If you know ARK, then you probably know about our long-term research projections, like estimating where we will be 5-10 years from now!"

"This week is all about Tesla. Autonomous Technology and Robotics Director of Research Sam Korus and Associate Portfolio Manager Nick Grous are joined by ARK Director Of Investment Analysis and Institutional Strategy Tasha Keeney to debrief on Tesla's latest earnings call and discuss their financial future.
"If you know ARK, then you probably know about our long-term research projections, like estimating where we will be 5-10 years from now!"

am I an old fart ? is it just me or I would have trouble to take investment decisions from the 3 kids pictured..not even sure they were out of diapers during the GFC...

am I an old fart ? is it just me or I would have trouble to take investment decisions from the 3 kids pictured..not even sure they were out of diapers during the GFC...

I thought the same thing, and then remembered that I am getting old. Everyone under 30 looks like a baby to me, but then I remember what I was doing and what I had achieved in my 20's.

How old was Bill Gates when he created Microsoft? 20 years old.
How old was Steve Jobs when he founded Apple? 21

These are just the famous youth, there are many more behind the scenes.

Don't disparage our youth, we were all young once.

I thought the same thing, and then remembered that I am getting old. Everyone under 30 looks like a baby to me, but then I remember what I was doing and what I had achieved in my 20's.

How old was Bill Gates when he created Microsoft? 20 years old.
How old was Steve Jobs when he founded Apple? 21

These are just the famous youth, there are many more behind the scenes.

Don't disparage our youth, we were all young once.
I remember my mistakes.. I went into startup mode in my late 40s and think it was an advantage, young people ok for pure tech innovative ideas brain speed etc..but as for market behaviour and what experience brings in term of finance management no way would I trust my 20y old self...or any 20y old even brightest
for the example above, they are just stats blimps and were pretty poor in term of finance management and would readily agree about that.
But it is your money :)

I remember my mistakes.. I went into startup mode in my late 40s and think it was an advantage, young people ok for pure tech innovative ideas brain speed etc..but as for market behaviour and what experience brings in term of finance management no way would I trust my 20y old self...or any 20y old even brightest
for the example above, they are just stats blimps and were pretty poor in term of finance management and would readily agree about that.
But it is your money :)

True.

However, there is a structure that ensures that experienced hands are in control of the levers. And youth is more adventurous and see future trends clearer than old minds.

My ARK investment is up 20.5%

Last edited:
True.

However, there is a structure that ensures that experienced hands are in control of the levers. And youth is more adventurous and see future trends clearer than old minds.

Sure but ark as investment as you imply or trading?
Screenshot_20240503-152428_Chrome.jpg

Anyway while tesla is strong within ark, we are a bit side tracked and as investment, even a term deposit would have done better

True.

The 3 young blokes did not seem to have much of a wider structure ..but definitively need young blokes: our start up was 80% kids and 20% old farts, and imho yes, an old fart greed set its downfall..

The 3 young blokes did not seem to have much of a wider structure ..but definitively need young blokes: our start up was 80% kids and 20% old farts, and imho yes, an old fart greed set its downfall..
About tesla, I think the sales figures are a bit worrying..I'd like to invest tesla but not the EV part..wonder if tesla will ever be split..could be soon ripe for that

That's life these days @basilio , one day you have a job, the next technology has overtaken it.
Let's be honest jobs and job security, comes last in most business and or ideological change, the workers are just collateral damage.
You can't hold back progress on social agendas.

About tesla, I think the sales figures are a bit worrying..I'd like to invest tesla but not the EV part..wonder if tesla will ever be split..could be soon ripe for that

Always go with your gut, if it worries you walk away.

I'm with you on that, cars are a fickle, high cost product and it really isn't a great space to play in IMO.
If they want to be a car producer, I think they have a great product and they should use the VW beetle/Porsche approach of just a continuous improvement on a good product.
The real money IMO is the sattelite internet and the space x reusable rockets.
The sattelite internet is the way things are going, have a phone/internet plan that can be used wherever you are, rather than using expensive roaming, or pocket wifi, or travel modems.
A simple one stop shop that you can buy the phone and internet, then use it anywhere you are be it half way across the Simpson desert, in Singapore, or cruising across the Pacific just has to be the future and Musk is onto it.

That's life these days @basilio , one day you have a job, the next technology has overtaken it.
Let's be honest jobs and job security, comes last in most business and or ideological change, the workers are just collateral damage.
You can't hold back progress on social agendas.

I can see that SP. I'm just not convinced that these chainsaw hack job cuts are a good idea from a business POV. There are so many examples where massive cuts have crippled the ongoing productivity of operations. It tends to drive out the most capable people who can find other employers who recognise their talent and application.

In Teslas case I am totally bewildered by the decision to axe the supercharger division. This was universally acknowledged as one of the outstanding achievements of the company in providing widespread, high quality, excellent value EV charging. Destroying that operational staff behind that operation in one swoop seems crazy.

What I understood was that Elon had instructed all his managers to make cuts to their divisions. No exceptions. No discussion. Apparently Rebucca Tinucci had bucked against this direction. Elon decided if she wouldn't make the cuts he wanted he would axe (almost) the whole division. A lesson for everyone on who runs the show.
FWIW I can recognise the point of focusing on AI run robotaxis as the next big profit centre. Elon has quickly recognised that China has caught and passed Tesla in terms of value for money EV's. So the pivot to robotaxis makes sense. IF IT WORKS. Probably the very big question.

Having said that regardless of whether there are robo taxis or private vehicles they all require charging. Destroying the supercharger team to show everyone who's boss could be exceptionally costly to Tesla.

I'm with you on that, cars are a fickle, high cost product and it really isn't a great space to play in IMO.
If they want to be a car producer, I think they have a great product and they should use the VW beetle/Porsche approach of just a continuous improvement on a good product.
The real money IMO is the sattelite internet and the space x reusable rockets.
The sattelite internet is the way things are going, have a phone/internet plan that can be used wherever you are, rather than using expensive roaming, or pocket wifi, or travel modems.
A simple one stop shop that you can buy the phone and internet, then use it anywhere you are be it half way across the Simpson desert, in Singapore, or cruising across the Pacific just has to be the future and Musk is onto it.

You're both looking at the car like it is the same as all the other vehicles on the road, that is misleading you both.

Elon Musk's two goals are, build an affordable EV for the masses, and build a full self-driving vehicle.

BYD is the only other vehicle manufacturer making a profit on its cars, while Tesla's profit is much larger. Only BYD and Tesla are close to building cheap reliable EVs.

Tesla released V12 of FSD free for a month to all USA owners, and so far, the response has been fantastic. Tesla just signed a deal with the Chinese authorities to start releasing V12 to Chinese owners for evaluation.

Tesla's vehicle side is different to all the competition, if Tesla pulls of FSD the share price will be a nice thing to see.

Tesla released what it calls Version 12 of its FSD Beta autonomous driving software in the fourth quarter. FSD is short for Full-Self Driving. Tesla also said in its news release it introduced the second generation of its humanoid robot called Optimus.

Last edited:
I can see that SP. I'm just not convinced that these chainsaw hack job cuts are a good idea from a business POV. There are so many examples where massive cuts have crippled the ongoing productivity of operations. It tends to drive out the most capable people who can find other employers who recognise their talent and application.

In Teslas case I am totally bewildered by the decision to axe the supercharger division. This was universally acknowledged as one of the outstanding achievements of the company in providing widespread, high quality, excellent value EV charging. Destroying that operational staff behind that operation in one swoop seems crazy.

What I understood was that Elon had instructed all his managers to make cuts to their divisions. No exceptions. No discussion. Apparently Rebucca Tinucci had bucked against this direction. Elon decided if she wouldn't make the cuts he wanted he would axe (almost) the whole division. A lesson for everyone on who runs the show.
FWIW I can recognise the point of focusing on AI run robotaxis as the next big profit centre. Elon has quickly recognised that China has caught and passed Tesla in terms of value for money EV's. So the pivot to robotaxis makes sense. IF IT WORKS. Probably the very big question.

Having said that regardless of whether there are robo taxis or private vehicles they all require charging. Destroying the supercharger team to show everyone who's boss could be exceptionally costly to Tesla.

I agree that what Elon Musk did appears ridiculous, but until all the facts come out on that subject i am looking at all of the company and the data that is available.

Hearsay and gossip are dangerous and most of the time untrue. Did he sack the majority of the division out of pettiness, or did he find some sort of corruption or collusion between staff and the other vehicle manufacturers that have signed on to use the Supercharging network? We don't know, yet.

Non shareholders getting concerned about the company's future and its share price is like me getting upset with the Victorian government and screaming about their increasing taxes when I live in New Zealand. What does it matter?

All shareholders have the opportunity to vote, they also have the opportunity to add to the list and have changes made. Shareholders will decide what they want and vote for it.

1714717689148.png