Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

The state of the economy at the street level

They can't just keep hitting middle class. They might be asset ritch but casflow poor.
yes they will

many ( officials ) have never worked a blue collar job and run a business , to them it is just a pot of money

the only was to get rid off them ( legally ) is to starve them of political donations and then vote them out

and we are talking council , state and federal

Councillors often turn into state members and later jump up to the next level and retire to be company directors
It's like taking candy from a baby. The middle class are easy targets to take money from, all they do is spend most of their life working and their spare time sleeping.

The rich know every loophole under the sun to take advantage of tax incentives and tax avoidance, for the poor it's like squeezing blood out of a stone.

It's like taking candy from a baby. The middle class are easy targets to take money from, all they do is spend most of their life working and their spare time sleeping.

The rich know every loophole under the sun to take advantage of tax incentives and tax avoidance, for the poor it's like squeezing blood out of a stone.
The newly legislated aged care funding rules are another nail in the middle class coffin, work, save, sleep and the more you do it the more creative the Govts get at taking it off you.

Meanwhile if you spend rather than save, the Govt finds more creative ways to subsidies your lifestyle.

I can see a surge in spending coming up. Lol

The newly legislated aged care funding rules are another nail in the middle class coffin, work, save, sleep and the more you do it the more creative the Govts get at taking it off you.

Meanwhile if you spend rather than save, the Govt finds more creative ways to subsidies your lifestyle.

I can see a surge in spending coming up. Lol
Or pulling it out of the banks and finding hiding places at home to store it.

Or pulling it out of the banks and finding hiding places at home to store it.

With the help of the banks, they are shutting down that route.

I went to a wedding reception on Friday and the subject of cash came up. The newlyweds are in their late 30's and have their own home and everything that they require. So, they said no gifts required but if you want money would be appreciated. Weddings aren't cheap, nor s the honeymoon.

One guest I was talking to said that he had a difficult time withdrawing a $1000 cash, the bank asked him questions and they wanted photo ID. this from a guy that works in the corporate world and is squeaky clean. He was very concerned about this, especially because it wsn't a lot of money and they made him feel like he was a criminal.

Another guest told me that their bank, NAB, does not accept cash at the normal branches. He has to go out of his way to a NAB business banking branch to bank.

I have changed the way I bank my business takings. I now only go to the bank when I feel like it, and only bank about two thirds of the cash. The remainder I use for purchases and my staff like to receive some cash each week.

Sadly, the wasteful governments are finding every means to grab our cash, and the greedy banks every excuse to stop dealing in it.

With the help of the banks, they are shutting down that route.

I went to a wedding reception on Friday and the subject of cash came up. The newlyweds are in their late 30's and have their own home and everything that they require. So, they said no gifts required but if you want money would be appreciated. Weddings aren't cheap, nor s the honeymoon.

One guest I was talking to said that he had a difficult time withdrawing a $1000 cash, the bank asked him questions and they wanted photo ID. this from a guy that works in the corporate world and is squeaky clean. He was very concerned about this, especially because it wsn't a lot of money and they made him feel like he was a criminal.

Another guest told me that their bank, NAB, does not accept cash at the normal branches. He has to go out of his way to a NAB business banking branch to bank.

I have changed the way I bank my business takings. I now only go to the bank when I feel like it, and only bank about two thirds of the cash. The remainder I use for purchases and my staff like to receive some cash each week.

Sadly, the wasteful governments are finding every means to grab our cash, and the greedy banks every excuse to stop dealing in it.
Even transfering own money is a nightmare: took me 2 days with cba to be able to start a 6 figures sum transfer
And 2 days to initiate an o/s transfer with hsbc..in a normal situation with clean money clean records
Imagine during a bank run..

Just give it their kids.
As things stand now, the house and other assets goes to the kids when the oldies die.
Just speed up the process a bit.
Mick
You'll lose a big chunk of it to tax if you get it before death, the Govt has it all sorted. Most of it will be squandered by the govt before you get it. How many people can afford to stay at home and look after their aging parents these days? You'll need to put them in a nursing home and that's big dollars these days when they exceed the asset threshold which isn't very much. Greens have vowed to go after retirees with homes, so the future is going to be worse, with no to little pension so that they have to sell or reverse mortgage.

Maybe if our MPs had life skills in either business or working to get ahead and save for their families future, instead of sucking of the welfare teat and changing the world into their own view rather than their constituents, we may be able to get back to basics. And keep more of our hard earned.

“There are people out there whose top-of-mind issues are not the big progressive issues, who just want to get their mortgage paid, or their rent paid, or their electricity paid,” she said.
“Their daily existence is a kind of survival. It’s not living. It’s a grind.
“Everyone understands we’ve got a cost of living crisis, but this group of people who grind it out have been excluded from many of the conversations, and the conversations are always the deficit conversation: ‘Well, we’ll try and help you just meet your costs.’
“Well, these people want more. They want an aspirational conversation about getting ahead. They don’t want to just catch up, they want to get ahead. People want to do more than just pay their bills and survive.”

Resentment building on struggle street: Westacott

The former head of the Business Council of Australia, Jennifer Westacott, says the nation risks a “contagion” of anger and resentment unless it addresses its failings towards middle-class and working Australians.
Now chancellor at the University of Western Sydney, she says many people who are just “grinding out their lives” have long been missing from the national conversation.

“There are people out there whose top-of-mind issues are not the big progressive issues, who just want to get their mortgage paid, or their rent paid, or their electricity paid,” she said.

“Everyone understands we’ve got a cost of living crisis, but this group of people who grind it out have been excluded from many of the conversations, and the conversations are always the deficit conversation: ‘Well, we’ll try and help you just meet your costs.’

“Well, these people want more. They want an aspirational conversation about getting ahead. They don’t want to just catch up, they want to get ahead. People want to do more than just pay their bills and survive.”

7bf548c8362e503f4c751d591ce06512.jpg
Jennifer Westacott in the Chancellery building at Parramatta South campus of Western Sydney University. Picture: Monique Harmer/NewsWire

In an exclusive interview with The Australian ahead of a speech at the Sydney Opera House on Wednesday, Ms Westacott drew on her difficult childhood to urge structural reform, saying: “At its core, we owe this to younger Australians, whose aspirations will be critical to turning the page.”

Ms Westacott, who has had a stellar career in the public and private sectors, has rarely spoken about growing up in “highly stigmatised” public housing in the Blue Mountains but will draw on that experience in a speech at a Sydney Women’s Fund event to salute her achievements. The fund was set up in 2008 to increase gender equity and has funded more than $13m in programs to support Sydney women and their families.

“My family were low-income people, and our home was violent,” Ms Westacott will tell the group. “My parents had jobs, not careers. It seemed that every bill, every rent payment, every major event like a birthday or Christmas was a struggle, that no matter how hard they tried, for whatever set of reasons, they couldn’t get ahead. These unrelenting challenges built a sense of resentment and anger. I know how destructive that can be, and I fear it will be a contagion in this country if we don’t act.”

Ms Westacott’s parents, who later separated, worked in unskilled jobs: “Every weekend they shopped what they could afford, they cleaned, they mowed, and every Sunday afternoon Dad would go and queue up to get his weekly (train) ticket because he had to get up at four o’clock in the morning. He needed that weekly ticket on the Sunday afternoon so he could just get straight on the train.”

Today she sees that lengthy daily commute for people caught in “the great unfairness in Sydney’s west”, with “the best jobs, the good jobs, located in the northern and eastern parts of Sydney”. She said large-scale housing developments in previous years in the western suburbs of the city had not been matched by an industrial strategy around jobs and in turn had led to a “big wage equity deficit”. Governments understood this better now, but progress was slow.

More generally, Ms Westacott warned that without tax and other changes “we are sleepwalking into lower living standards”.

3f86abe658925e95c92929548f6c201e.jpg
Workers make the morning commute in Sydney. Picture: Nikki Short/NewsWire

“I don’t think there’s any doubt higher wages come from a more productive economy,” she said. “We know the checklist about making the economy more productive, but we haven’t taken the decisions to make ourselves more competitive. Two things that other countries have done, we wouldn’t do – we wouldn’t look at broadening the tax system by changing the consumption tax, and we won’t deal with company tax. We have not invested properly in the school system; we have spent money on per capita allocations without fixing teacher quality. We’ve not looked at the curriculum.

“We’ve just got into a malaise of not doing the big, hard things, and now we’re just going to sleepwalk into lower living standards. We’re not going to have a crisis –it’ll be a slow decline, and it will be a relative decline, not an absolute decline. It’s like what we could have been versus what we’re going to be.

“I always thought Trump was going to be president in 2016 because I’ve been in America, and I used to talk to a lot of people and their lives were just grind … It’s the promise of hope, not the promise of deficit, that makes sense.”

Ms Westacott, who was CEO of the BCA from 2011 to 2023, said Australians were often willing to blame corporates. “Whenever the banks make big profits, you see particularly the Greens come out and just slam that. Well, be in a society where banks are losing money, and see how that works for people, see the kind of social services you can afford. Where would we be over the last decade without the mining sector, plus students?”

Ms Westacott said the national conversation about Indigenous Australian had stalled after the failed voice referendum: “My nervousness has always been that we would retreat into doing nothing, as opposed to what I think needs to happen, which is huge innovation and huge change in the way Indigenous services (operate) – education, health, remote communities. That is about getting a bit more self-determination, but it’s also hugely about training, job creation, economic development, about utilising the estate that’s come from land title more efficiently.”

But she said that “we’re now not allowed” to talk about Indigenous services, as if there was no “authorisation” to have tough conversations.

“What was the point of having the conversation about the voice if we’re now not going to give voice to doing something about these long-term, systemic problems that require practical – but also a bit of creative – thinking? That conversation just seems to have gone, but the issues haven’t gone away.”

Maybe if our MPs had life skills in either business or working to get ahead and save for their families future, instead of sucking of the welfare teat and changing the world into their own view rather than their constituents, we may be able to get back to basics. And keep more of our hard earned.

Can she be our next PM..??

A friend of mine's partner passed away recently and the Public Trustee came in and changed the numbers on the safe where they held gold and silver bullion.
that sounds about average

i was SHOCKED by the reaction two former state government employees when they heard the public trustee stepped in to take charge ( on my then living ) aunties estate , sadly those two opinions were far from inaccurate .

but chalk it up to a strategy tweak to the current members

There is always a honourable and worthy cause, that needs the middle class tax payers money.
The elites use family trusts, those who have nothing or save nothing get welfare, someone has to pay it.
Wait untill iron ore and coal revenues dry up, then there will be some serious howling, when revenue doesn't cover the Govt outgoings.

There is always a honourable and worthy cause, that needs the middle class tax payers money.
The elites use family trusts, those who have nothing or save nothing get welfare, someone has to pay it.
Wait untill iron ore and coal revenues dry up, then there will be some serious howling, when revenue doesn't cover the Govt outgoings.
sad but true

It doesn't do that now 😭

We owe a squillion trillion million and not that long ago we had money in the bank.

Our grandchildren are not going to thank us for hocking there lifestyle so we (and them) can have a party.

We should have had two recessions in the past 20 years to stop the cargo cult mentality and shake up the free money BS from the RBA

My neighbour has been a self employed builder for 15 years and until quite recently, there had Never been an interest rate rise since he started his business.

Absolute incompetence from our pollies, no sense of doing the right thing by Australia, just do whatever it takes to get re-elected

A friend of mine's partner passed away recently and the Public Trustee came in and changed the numbers on the safe where they held gold and silver bullion.
Ah the Public Trustee and the Public Advocate both are at the top of my hate list.
Have it in my Will that neither of these scum organisations are to anything to do with my estate when I have expired.