Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

The state of the economy at the street level

It is the new migrants who will work their backsides off and eventually run all of the businesses. They see opportunity where the Aussies just see problems, as pretty much all you lot on this thread like to point out.
Sure, how old are you, if still around in 20y, we will talk again
I can already tell you key business ideas ready for a lot of money making here
The usual drugs, prostitution, racket but we have specific advantages here:
Contraband tobacco and alcohol.
As well human trafficking that you can streamline with sex trade.
But do not mine in a gold rush, sell the shovel so:
Money laundering and slum accommodations..sleep landlord for illegals and underclass you can play the last one and pretend to keep an honest face quite easily.so the link with the cranes in the cities

It is the new migrants who will work their backsides off and eventually run all of the businesses. They see opportunity where the Aussies just see problems, as pretty much all you lot on this thread like to point out.
I suspect most of those pointing out negatives are actually doing well personally.

It's just that they've a concern for the macro situation and are well aware that being wealthy is problematic at best if society as a whole declines. Plus the point of the thread is about the overall situation not individuals.

If the broad economy declines sufficiently then one problem even for those doing well becomes the limited options for spending it. A lot of things only work if a sufficiently large number of people can afford them.

As an example of that, of all things that could be deemed discretionary spending that's in no way essential, I've definitely spent more on live music than anything else. Trouble is, the viability of live music depends on the overall economy, it only works if a large number of people can afford to buy tickets to shows and right now that's being outright hammered by overall inflation which is killing the industry.

All up there's quite a lot of things like that. Personal success can't fully compensate for a broad societal economic decline. Same even in shares, if the overall decline is big enough then very little escapes it, making money gets hard unless you're into shorting. :2twocents

I suspect most of those pointing out negatives are actually doing well personally.

It's just that they've a concern for the macro situation and are well aware that being wealthy is problematic at best if society as a whole declines. Plus the point of the thread is about the overall situation not individuals.

If the broad economy declines sufficiently then one problem even for those doing well becomes the limited options for spending it. A lot of things only work if a sufficiently large number of people can afford them.

As an example of that, of all things that could be deemed discretionary spending that's in no way essential, I've definitely spent more on live music than anything else. Trouble is, the viability of live music depends on the overall economy, it only works if a large number of people can afford to buy tickets to shows and right now that's being outright hammered by overall inflation which is killing the industry.

All up there's quite a lot of things like that. Personal success can't fully compensate for a broad societal economic decline. Same even in shares, if the overall decline is big enough then very little escapes it, making money gets hard unless you're into shorting. :2twocents
None of my pessimistic approach is linked to own situation, i can even play and make money of the failings

Back to anecdotal personal experience,:
Went out last night in mooloolaba seaside marona: restaurants packed at the marina, a bit less on the esplanade.
This is now school holidays and there was an asian moon festival by the beach so hard to say, but the mood was festive and upbeat even with the colder..jumper over t shirt😉 weather
Will see during the week if people are on money savings.. breaky in the units or splashing it daily in cafes..

Went out last night in mooloolaba seaside marona: restaurants packed at the marina, a bit less on the esplanade.
This is now school holidays and there was an asian moon festival by the beach so hard to say, but the mood was festive and upbeat even with the colder..jumper over t shirt😉 weather
Will see during the week if people are on money savings.. breaky in the units or splashing it daily in cafes..
From what I've observed things are definitly tightening up, people are being more careful with their spending, but it is nowhere near recession level, where most shopping trolleys have mince meat packs in them, people are still mainly eating steak.
Only my two cents worth, but in my opinion the only area that is hurting people is housing related costs, rent or payments, both are a ridiculous burden of unproductive costs to the economy.

I've been going over to Rainbow Beach and Fraser for the last 12 years every year, I can tell you not much has changed, everything booked out as per usual for the September holiday season. I only saw many vacant accommodations after the first Brisbane floods and during COVID.

Sure, how old are you, if still around in 20y, we will talk again
I can already tell you key business ideas ready for a lot of money making here
The usual drugs, prostitution, racket but we have specific advantages here:
Contraband tobacco and alcohol.
As well human trafficking that you can streamline with sex trade.
But do not mine in a gold rush, sell the shovel so:
Money laundering and slum accommodations..sleep landlord for illegals and underclass you can play the last one and pretend to keep an honest face quite easily.so the link with the cranes in the cities
"Sure, how old are you, if still around in 20y, we will talk again"

HaHa .. I wish. Sold my business of 45 yrs. Retired. Travelled very extensively over the last 30 years and know how good we have it here.

"Sure, how old are you, if still around in 20y, we will talk again"

HaHa .. I wish. Sold my business of 45 yrs. Retired. Travelled very extensively over the last 30 years and know how good we have it here.
Maybe for one reason..because we did not get half a million migrants a year for the last 30y,?
Anyway back to the thread

An interstate brewery that I purchase a few brews from a few times each year sent out this email -

𝐂𝐀𝐒𝐇 𝐈𝐒 𝐊𝐈𝐍𝐆…. 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐮𝐧𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐮𝐧𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐥𝐲, 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐬𝐞 𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲 𝐝𝐢𝐟𝐟𝐢𝐜𝐮𝐥𝐭 𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞𝐬 𝐰𝐞 𝐟𝐢𝐧𝐝 𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐬𝐞𝐥𝐯𝐞𝐬 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐦𝐨𝐧𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐝𝐮𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐡𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐢𝐧 𝐚 𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞𝐥𝐲 𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐧𝐞𝐫2639.png.​
Coupled with a massive downturn in customers at the brewery (we acknowledge everyone’s doing it tough), the struggle to survive is real…
It’s embarrassing to lay bare our predicament, 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐰𝐞 𝐃𝐄𝐒𝐏𝐄𝐑𝐀𝐓𝐄𝐋𝐘 𝐧𝐞𝐞𝐝 𝐚 𝐜𝐚𝐬𝐡 𝐢𝐧𝐣𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧…​
𝐒𝐨, 𝐢𝐟 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐚 𝐟𝐞𝐰 𝐬𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐬𝐡𝐞𝐤𝐞𝐥𝐬, 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐚 𝐦𝐨𝐬𝐭 𝐞𝐱𝐜𝐞𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐜𝐚𝐮𝐬𝐞...
𝟐𝟓% 𝐎𝐅𝐅 𝐀𝐋𝐋 𝐎𝐍𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐄 𝐒𝐀𝐋𝐄𝐒 𝐮𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐥 𝐌𝐨𝐧𝐝𝐚𝐲 𝐦𝐢𝐝𝐧𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭. 𝐍𝐨 𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐢𝐦𝐮𝐦𝐬, 𝐧𝐨 𝐦𝐚𝐱𝐢𝐦𝐮𝐦𝐬. 𝐏𝐋𝐔𝐒 𝐅𝐑𝐄𝐄 𝐒𝐇𝐈𝐏𝐏𝐈𝐍𝐆 – 𝐀𝐔𝐒𝐓𝐑𝐀𝐋𝐈𝐀 𝐖𝐈𝐃𝐄 𝐚𝐮𝐭𝐨𝐦𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐜𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐲 𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐨𝐫𝐝𝐞𝐫𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝟏𝟐+ 𝐛𝐞𝐞𝐫𝐬.​
𝐔𝐒𝐄 𝐂𝐎𝐃𝐄: “𝐂𝐀𝐒𝐇” 𝐚𝐭 𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐜𝐤𝐨𝐮𝐭 & the order will be automatically discounted. If a product is already discounted, the largest discount only will be automatically selected.​
𝐋𝐨𝐠 𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐨 𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐨𝐧𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐯𝐢𝐚 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐤 𝐛𝐞𝐥𝐨𝐰 & 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐝𝐢𝐬𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐭 𝐜𝐨𝐝𝐞 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐚𝐥𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐲 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐝.https://www.bacchusbrewing.com.au/discount/cash...

An interstate brewery that I purchase a few brews from a few times each year sent out this email -

𝐂𝐀𝐒𝐇 𝐈𝐒 𝐊𝐈𝐍𝐆…. 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐮𝐧𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐮𝐧𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐥𝐲, 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐬𝐞 𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲 𝐝𝐢𝐟𝐟𝐢𝐜𝐮𝐥𝐭 𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞𝐬 𝐰𝐞 𝐟𝐢𝐧𝐝 𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐬𝐞𝐥𝐯𝐞𝐬 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐦𝐨𝐧𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐝𝐮𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐡𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐢𝐧 𝐚 𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞𝐥𝐲 𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐧𝐞𝐫View attachment 184295.​
Coupled with a massive downturn in customers at the brewery (we acknowledge everyone’s doing it tough), the struggle to survive is real…​
It’s embarrassing to lay bare our predicament, 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐰𝐞 𝐃𝐄𝐒𝐏𝐄𝐑𝐀𝐓𝐄𝐋𝐘 𝐧𝐞𝐞𝐝 𝐚 𝐜𝐚𝐬𝐡 𝐢𝐧𝐣𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧…​
𝐒𝐨, 𝐢𝐟 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐚 𝐟𝐞𝐰 𝐬𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐬𝐡𝐞𝐤𝐞𝐥𝐬, 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐚 𝐦𝐨𝐬𝐭 𝐞𝐱𝐜𝐞𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐜𝐚𝐮𝐬𝐞...
𝟐𝟓% 𝐎𝐅𝐅 𝐀𝐋𝐋 𝐎𝐍𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐄 𝐒𝐀𝐋𝐄𝐒 𝐮𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐥 𝐌𝐨𝐧𝐝𝐚𝐲 𝐦𝐢𝐝𝐧𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭. 𝐍𝐨 𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐢𝐦𝐮𝐦𝐬, 𝐧𝐨 𝐦𝐚𝐱𝐢𝐦𝐮𝐦𝐬. 𝐏𝐋𝐔𝐒 𝐅𝐑𝐄𝐄 𝐒𝐇𝐈𝐏𝐏𝐈𝐍𝐆 – 𝐀𝐔𝐒𝐓𝐑𝐀𝐋𝐈𝐀 𝐖𝐈𝐃𝐄 𝐚𝐮𝐭𝐨𝐦𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐜𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐲 𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐨𝐫𝐝𝐞𝐫𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝟏𝟐+ 𝐛𝐞𝐞𝐫𝐬.​
𝐔𝐒𝐄 𝐂𝐎𝐃𝐄: “𝐂𝐀𝐒𝐇” 𝐚𝐭 𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐜𝐤𝐨𝐮𝐭 & the order will be automatically discounted. If a product is already discounted, the largest discount only will be automatically selected.​
𝐋𝐨𝐠 𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐨 𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐨𝐧𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐯𝐢𝐚 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐤 𝐛𝐞𝐥𝐨𝐰 & 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐝𝐢𝐬𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐭 𝐜𝐨𝐝𝐞 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐚𝐥𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐲 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐝.https://www.bacchusbrewing.com.au/discount/cash...
Pity that I no longer partake of the amber fluid and only digest a minimal amount of gut rot red, courtesy of the injuries suffered 4 years ago. It was the pain killers that got me off the booze!!

good ?

better than some , for sure

but all that biased official data will have consequences , maybe sooner than later

the overseas was different but not always better or worse

and worst of all most of our strategists were trained/schooled in the EU or US

Sydney was packed yesterday. You could barely walk down the street. Lots of people out and about. But it's only select stores getting the business.
I'm thinking there's a bump going on.
Pretty much the same in Brisbane, all the struggling poor performing businesses are getting burned off by the more dominant ones.

I can't understand why they continue to develop new shopping centres when the existing ones struggle to hold clients.

The local is packed yesterday and today, but went up the hill to another pub yesterday and it was fairly quiet.
MIxed messages on that front still from what I can see.

The local Bunnings today was reasonably busy, but not over the top.

That said, I don't think I would like to be a Jim's franchisee at the moment.
Pretty much the same in Brisbane, all the struggling poor performing businesses are getting burned off by the more dominant ones.

I can't understand why they continue to develop new shopping centres when the existing ones struggle to hold clients.