Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

The state of the economy at the street level

Coffee in non touristy areas getting less busy i feel, and did not see yet..yet? ..a revival after the school holidays here
You could've shot a cannon through the Mundaring pub on Sunday and not hit a soul, mostly the local bogun alcoholics, replete with colourful language.

Mind you it's the business end of the footy season, so....

You could've shot a cannon through the Mundaring pub on Sunday and not hit a soul, mostly the local bogun alcoholics, replete with colourful language.

Mind you it's the business end of the footy season, so....
The local pub on Saturday with the AFL was packed here, I didn't stay until the end of the game but would have imagined that there would have been some partying until closing time.

Even the local shopping centres have been full, it's difficult to get a car park.

Had lunch with a guy who is self employed earth moving contractor.
he was saying that most of his work , which was for the local shire, has all but dried up.
He has bout a month worth of work in the pipeline, then nothing.
He is contemplating selling his trucks and excavtors, assuming he can find someone to buy them.Not really ready to retire as he has just turned 60, but he may have no choice.
mick

I have been following 2nd hand caravans semi off road for 12 months or more.

The market has sort of followed interest rates with family caravans flowing onto the market and cheaper while those for older couples are still reasonably tightly held with the odd cheap one looking for a faster sale.

I don't see anything desperate yet.

Had lunch with a guy who is self employed earth moving contractor.
he was saying that most of his work , which was for the local shire, has all but dried up.
He has bout a month worth of work in the pipeline, then nothing.
He is contemplating selling his trucks and excavtors, assuming he can find someone to buy them.Not really ready to retire as he has just turned 60, but he may have no choice.
mick
No new houses were being built. I'm seeing units just starting to go up again so it might flow on. But most guys have been doing Reno's or repairs for the last 9 months.

Electricity prices are hurting everyone.

Have you noticed a change in your electricity bill? 😲
Adelaide bakery Vili's is about to renew its electricity contract and general manager Peter Utry has told 7.30 the cheapest quote is a 22 per cent rise.
"We understand that everybody's doing it tough, but as a business, if you're not passing your increased costs onto your customers, you're not going to have a business," he said.​

Have you noticed a change in your electricity bill? 😲
Adelaide bakery Vili's is about to renew its electricity contract and general manager Peter Utry has told 7.30 the cheapest quote is a 22 per cent rise.
"We understand that everybody's doing it tough, but as a business, if you're not passing your increased costs onto your customers, you're not going to have a business," he said.​

IMG_6298.jpeg

YES , i have a nice large solar array ( which exceeds my normal usage , by a fair bit ) so they added 'a connection fee ' ( added regularly ) to say thank you for propping up their aging infrastructure

such thoughtfulness will NOT go unrewarded

( i am now even more incentivized , to move ALL my energy consumption off-grid , and just sell the current grid-output until it dies )

As I've posted in another thread, the crux of the problem is structural and industry wide.

I'll avoid going into too much detail here given it's not the thread subject but suffice to say approximately 40% of the retail price of electricity in SA for small consumers, that is households and small business, isn't explained by the cost of wholesale electricity, transmission, distribution, network losses and GST. Add up all those costs, and the data is publicly available, and it only totals 60% of the retail price.

That's where the debate ought to be in my view, about the other 40%.

Now the real problem of course, is that if I speak to someone in a totally unrelated industry then they'll be nodding their head and smiling, waiting for me to shut up so they can point out the same problem also applies in whatever industry they work in. There's an awful lot of costs to build a house for example that aren't paying for materials, machinery or the take home pay of workers. Same in every other industry where I've had the opportunity to have the conversation, there's a lot of cost that isn't going into the bits that are really necessary but which is impossible for an individual business to avoid. :2twocents

Last edited:
As I've posted in another thread, the crux of the problem is structural and industry wide.

I'll avoid going into too much detail here given it's not the thread subject but suffice to say approximately 40% of the retail price of electricity in SA for small consumers, that is households and small business, isn't explained by the cost of wholesale electricity, transmission, distribution, network losses and GST. Add up all those costs, and the data is publicly available, and it only totals 60% of the retail price.

That's where the debate ought to be in my view, about the other 40%.

Now the real problem of course, is that if I speak to someone in a totally unrelated industry then they'll be nodding their head and smiling, waiting for me to shut up so they can point out the same problem also applies in whatever industry they work in. There's an awful lot of costs to build a house for example that aren't paying for materials, machinery or the take home pay of workers. Same in every other industry where I've had the opportunity to have the conversation, there's a lot of cost that isn't going into the bits that are really necessary but which is impossible for an individual business to avoid. :2twocents
but with electricity prices .. i DO have the opportunity to pick up my bat and ball , go home and LOCK the front gate

some other ongoing costs will just get more and more out of control ( for no good reason )

i will look to what i can control/eliminate first and work on the others as opportunities arise

( i expect some businesses will have a hard look to do the same )

So if the stock of used cars is going down, the question to be asked is why?
Are people just holding on to their older cars because they cannot get the price they want?
Is it because people at the lower end of the scale who might be the main market for them are just too maxed out to afford them?

1728304827129.png

Sales of new cars are difficult to read, there is so much seasonal variability, but three out of the past four months have seen declines.
Perhaps with the fall in new car sales, a corresponding fall in used cars occurs because there is a dearth of tradeins.
Mick
1728305229654.png

people at the lower end of the scale who might be the main market for them are just too maxed out to afford them?
I'm betting it's this mullok. A lot of cars are bought on finance/loans. Rates have shot up and so have living expenses so borrowing capacity is being pinched in both ways.

I bet if you dug into it you'd see that cars sales on credit/finance have plummeted and cash purchases haven't changed nearly as much.

And new cars are a superior good remember, they're something you buy when you're flush. When money's tight, you hold on to your old one ;)

Remember the golden rule of analytics: The devil's in the details :)

So if the stock of used cars is going down, the question to be asked is why?
Are people just holding on to their older cars because they cannot get the price they want?
Is it because people at the lower end of the scale who might be the main market for them are just too maxed out to afford them?

View attachment 185559

Sales of new cars are difficult to read, there is so much seasonal variability, but three out of the past four months have seen declines.
Perhaps with the fall in new car sales, a corresponding fall in used cars occurs because there is a dearth of tradeins.
Mick
View attachment 185560
well part of the reason would be a return of supply of NEW vehicles ( maybe even an over-supply as backlogs catch up )

another would be depreciation

now the official narrative declares the economy is 'healthy and robust , but anecdotal evidence is very different

so eking out some extra kks out of the current ride , is possible also

Or are people who might previously have bought a new car now buying used instead?