Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

The state of the economy at the street level

Found out the way it is calculated now is on the rental we could get if the house was rented out.
Rates, insurance, maintenance ..
Assuming that's the empty past rental that you mentioned farmerge, wouldn't you be better off selling it ? Or is it on your farm?
Or there's slaves I mean WOOFERs to extract some value from temporary accomodation if there's some equivalent of it for non organic rural enterprises. Farm stay?

They can't just keep hitting middle class. They might be asset ritch but casflow poor.
yes they will

many ( officials ) have never worked a blue collar job and run a business , to them it is just a pot of money

the only was to get rid off them ( legally ) is to starve them of political donations and then vote them out

and we are talking council , state and federal

Councillors often turn into state members and later jump up to the next level and retire to be company directors

Assuming that's the empty past rental that you mentioned farmerge, wouldn't you be better off selling it ? Or is it on your farm?
Or there's slaves I mean WOOFERs to extract some value from temporary accomodation if there's some equivalent of it for non organic rural enterprises. Farm stay?
LOL

another scam .. organic stuff

all the regulations , and permits for a feel good label

I'd say insurance and running costs are destroying small size businesses.

It's a shame to see this business go, and it's a beautiful small town where they welcome newcomers.

Maybe a new business venture to retire on for @wayneL or @qldfrog ;) .

Beach horse-riding business set to close as Sunshine Coast tourism 'ambassador' hangs up reins​

Andrew McCarthy has spent more than a decade combining his two loves — horses and the ocean — while putting a sleepy beachside town firmly on Queensland's tourism map.

Thousands of people from "all over the world" have felt the waves splash over them at Rainbow Beach while riding bareback on one of the stockman's 20 beloved horses.

The trail rides in the Gympie region had been a spiritual experience for some, Mr McCarthy said.

"There was one lady from Hollywood, she rode onto the beach and she started crying".
"I said, 'What's wrong?' Thinking we'd done something wrong.

"And she was just crying because the beauty of it."

But after 12 years of showing visitors the blue water and coloured sands of Rainbow Beach — the self-titled "surfing stockman" is hanging up his reins.

"Last ride is the end of October this year," Mr McCarthy said.

"Twelve years is a long time putting people on a live animal, if you put them on tractor or motorbike or something, you can replace the part when it breaks.
"Horses have got a brain and nerve endings, so it's just a long time doing that."

Busy from day one​

Mr McCarthy said he could never have imagined how popular the trail rides would become when he started them.

"I was managing a cattle station in Western Australia, and I thought I was never going to make it as a professional surfer, so I thought the next best option was riding a horse up and down the beach," he said.

"I had visions of doing not many horse rides and going surfing in-between … but that's never happened.

"We've just been busy from day one, before we even opened we had people ringing, willing to do a ride."

I was out in Chapel st Prahan last Thursday evening. Basically a walk with a friend but we did check out a couple of places.
What we noticed.

1) Many empty shops. My estimation was around 10-15%. A significant number of those had legal letters attached noting non payment of rent .

2) The majority of bars and restaurants were very quiet. Maybe 0-5 people in there? Large restaurants with 10 people

3) A handful of places that were doing good business. Human nature being what it is people seem to gravitate to the action.

We were early . This was between 8pm and 9.30.

We did find an outstanding Bar/Restaurant on our walk. Abacus . Well worth checking out. But IMV I wonder how most of the businesses are making a buck.

Got our rates recently.
Upped by about $300.
Found out the way it is calculated now is on the rental we could get if the house was rented out.
What a load of b/s.

My business property is owned by my parents but I pay the rates and taxes. Pre- Covid the rates was about $3000, reaching $7000 last year. And this year I swore out loud when I opened the envelope to see $10200.

Last edited:
I was out in Chapel st Prahan last Thursday evening. Basically a walk with a friend but we did check out a couple of places.
What we noticed.

1) Many empty shops. My estimation was around 10-15%. A significant number of those had legal letters attached noting non payment of rent .

2) The majority of bars and restaurants were very quiet. Maybe 0-5 people in there? Large restaurants with 10 people

3) A handful of places that were doing good business. Human nature being what it is people seem to gravitate to the action.

We were early . This was between 8pm and 9.30.

We did find an outstanding Bar/Restaurant on our walk. Abacus . Well worth checking out. But IMV I wonder how most of the businesses are making a buck.

My wife and I went to t city the morning, spent the day from 10:30am to 3pm doing chores. Apple Store to get my AirPod Pro 2 sorted, I dropped off and came back a couple of hours later and the store was at 50% capacity, whereas it is usually full.
Next stop was an up market food hall for brunch at 11:30, usually the place is hectic but today it was perfect for us at about 35% capacity.
Then off to get my eyes checked and new glasses and prescription sunglasses, the optometrist was empty for the whole 45 minutes or so I was there. We even witnessed a well dressed middle aged guy do a runner with a pair of display glasses.
After my prescription glasses were ordered and cost me a fortune, we went to look for a tie that I need for my son’s wedding in a month. Again we found it quite comfortable shopping because there wasn’t very many people around.

There are shoppers, and people seemed happy, but it’s not bustling out in the retail world.

I'd say insurance and running costs are destroying small size businesses.

It's a shame to see this business go, and it's a beautiful small town where they welcome newcomers.

Maybe a new business venture to retire on for @wayneL or @qldfrog ;) .

Beach horse-riding business set to close as Sunshine Coast tourism 'ambassador' hangs up reins​

Andrew McCarthy has spent more than a decade combining his two loves — horses and the ocean — while putting a sleepy beachside town firmly on Queensland's tourism map.

Thousands of people from "all over the world" have felt the waves splash over them at Rainbow Beach while riding bareback on one of the stockman's 20 beloved horses.

The trail rides in the Gympie region had been a spiritual experience for some, Mr McCarthy said.

"There was one lady from Hollywood, she rode onto the beach and she started crying".
"I said, 'What's wrong?' Thinking we'd done something wrong.

"And she was just crying because the beauty of it."

But after 12 years of showing visitors the blue water and coloured sands of Rainbow Beach — the self-titled "surfing stockman" is hanging up his reins.

"Last ride is the end of October this year," Mr McCarthy said.

"Twelve years is a long time putting people on a live animal, if you put them on tractor or motorbike or something, you can replace the part when it breaks.
"Horses have got a brain and nerve endings, so it's just a long time doing that."

Busy from day one​

Mr McCarthy said he could never have imagined how popular the trail rides would become when he started them.

"I was managing a cattle station in Western Australia, and I thought I was never going to make it as a professional surfer, so I thought the next best option was riding a horse up and down the beach," he said.

"I had visions of doing not many horse rides and going surfing in-between … but that's never happened.

"We've just been busy from day one, before we even opened we had people ringing, willing to do a ride."
Imagine the insurance and public liability cost, then you add the council environmental department, the state one and the NP regulations..horses on the beach, how dare
Not to mention the natives who will soon takes over and restrict access to the beach.
It is no surprise she is closing and no one takes over.
And yes, these are my backyard areas so pretty well understand her position.
Sad, but representative

Imagine the insurance and public liability cost, then you add the council environmental department, the state one and the NP regulations..horses on the beach, how dare
Not to mention the natives who will soon takes over and restrict access to the beach.
It is no surprise she is closing and no one takes over.
And yes, these are my backyard areas so pretty well understand her position.
Sad, but representative
The beach access that they use is like the local council road ,you don't need a parks permit to go on there with a 4WD drive.

Public liability is probably out of this world though.

My business property is owned by my parents but I pay the rates and taxes. Pre- Covid the rates was about $3000, reaching $7000 last year. And this year I swore out loud when I opened the envelope to see $10200.
it used to be about potholes and rubbish collection, but now your money goes to this sort of nonsense .. ... they've just had local elections in NSW, and from The Australian:
Divisive NSW local government elections were dominated in Sydney’s inner city by whether foreign policy, particularly the Israel-Hamas war, should or should not be a priority for councils.Early results suggested that the Greens lost votes in inner-city Sydney, particularly its eastern suburbs, amid multiple “anti-Greens” campaigns, and failed to dislodge a Labor majority in the Inner West, which takes in Anthony Albanese’s seat of Grayndler.

..Discontent among Muslim voters with Labor’s handling of the Israel-Hamas war seemed certain to strip the ALP of its majority on Canterbury-Bankstown Council, which takes in parts of the Blaxland and Watson electorates, both of which have been targeted by pro-Palestine campaigns before the next federal poll.

They need over 200% price rise in a few years so they can buy more of the bigger pot holes.
There's not enough to go round you see.
On the bright side, tyre shops, suspension shops and mechanics in general, are doing well.

The beach access that they use is like the local council road ,you don't need a parks permit to go on there with a 4WD drive.

Public liability is probably out of this world though.
This would have to be checked as even dogs are forbidden south of middle rock.
And the area is among the thousands that are being transferred to Aboriginal ownership..
It is not easy to have such business ...

it used to be about potholes and rubbish collection, but now your money goes to this sort of nonsense .. ... they've just had local elections in NSW, and from The Australian:
And building batteries here in Noosa shire, visiting Paris Olympics last month for both noosa and sunshine coast , and on the sunny coast destroying salt water control systems to transform farmland into brackish swamps..all thus at high cost..rates rates

This would have to be checked as even dogs are forbidden south of middle rock.
And the area is among the thousands that are being transferred to Aboriginal ownership..
It is not easy to have such business ...
They usually don't go up that far, they go in north from the first cutting after Rainbow Shores. Indigenous won't be interested in that bit, they want the Inskip tip because that is where all the campers pay a fee but the ocean is slowly reclaiming that piece anyway.

The local is packed yesterday and today, but went up the hill to another pub yesterday and it was fairly quiet.
MIxed messages on that front still from what I can see.

The local Bunnings today was reasonably busy, but not over the top.

That said, I don't think I would like to be a Jim's franchisee at the moment.
Wayne i went past the Noble Falls pub on Friday, packed to the hilt and I suspect Sat and Sun to be the same.
Relatively moderate trade weekdays though.
I guess the Falls is the attraction before or after a few sherbets.

@finicky No the rates are levied on our home that we actually live in.
Not sure how they levy 2 houses on the same block.
Thought it might be best to keep the lips zippered.

yes they will

many ( officials ) have never worked a blue collar job and run a business , to them it is just a pot of money

the only was to get rid off them ( legally ) is to starve them of political donations and then vote them out

and we are talking council , state and federal

Councillors often turn into state members and later jump up to the next level and retire to be company directors
And hence the plethora of dud directors that abound.