Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

The state of the economy at the street level

The landlord might be a mum and dad struggling to pay the rates, body corporate fees and insurances with his her own ,8 to 5 job,,?
You should know better Monsieur @farmerge this is the real world, not the ABC or a current affair...
Land tax grabs, maintenance bills, increases in council rates and the list goes on.

I wouldn't touch a commercial building unless it was rented by a multimillion-dollar establishment. Commercial buildings are like the wild west, there are limited laws protecting you from being stiffed

Most tenants are months behind in rent before they get evicted not weeks.

Yes this is me and Mrs. Not sure whether we will leave or where we might go, but certainly examining our options.
Too many dumps in the World, W.A is isolated so the problems are equally small.
When the manure hits the fan W.A is an ok place to be, all the snowflakes head back over East, when the work dries up. Lol

I wouldn't touch a commercial building unless it was rented by a multimillion-dollar establishment. Commercial buildings are like the wild west, there are limited laws protecting you from being stiffe
I know two people who've done well out of it but they were unique circumstances.

One who owned the buildings their own businesses were in. No tenant, well not unless they count themselves, and it meant no hassles for the business dealing with a landlord.

The other leased to government. As he told me, if you can live with the rent being reliably paid a few days late then they're otherwise excellent tenants. Always paid, they won't trash the property, they're not going to go broke, it's just that due to the way bureaucracy works some manager will be signing off on the payment the day it's due then you're waiting for it to go through the bank but apart from that no hassle. 15 year lease and he was more than happy. :2twocents

When the manure hits the fan W.A is an ok place to be, all the snowflakes head back over East, when the work dries up. Lol
Couldn't agree more as long as mining, oil and gas carry on few places with the opportunities and cash flow like WA.

Huge choices in lifestyle and living areas with infrastructure going in all-over the place only down side ATM IMHO is housing price rises.

They usually get a one way ticket from my knowledge, when they lose their jobs they go on the dole and smoke meth.

Look at places like Mandurah.

The landlord might be a mum and dad struggling to pay the rates, body corporate fees and insurances with his her own ,8 to 5 job,,?
You should know better Monsieur @farmerge this is the real world, not the ABC or a current affair...
@qldfrog Mr frog I totally understand your point of view. Would it not be better to still have a tenant paying rent as to none at all?
When we had a couple of houses rented out what seems a lifetime ago, we had a tenant who had fallen on hard times.
She was a single mother and always paid on time, but let it slip one day that to make ends meet she would go without a meal or two every week.
Long story short, sat down with her and worked out what she could afford and worked forward from there.
She was a tenant for 17 years.

Not if every day it is costing the landlord.
If the business is not profitable, few chances it will improve in the coming months.
And the rent might not have been paid for months.who are we to know?
Once not paying tenant is gone, you can scrap a few bucks with popup store, caravan or trailer storage, whatever but you are in control.
Commercial properties are different from housing.anyway, just wanted to stress it is not always big corporations vs poor battler

Well how much competition are you facing? I bet you can't keep up with work. Lol
It's an equilibrium. There are plenty of clients, but a much smaller pool of stuff I actually want to do.

*Veterinary collabs
*Performance stables
*Ordinary riders who are just bloody nice people and really care for their nags

But who wants to live in a police state?

Excellent analysis by Ian Verrender on the state of the economy. Highlights the generational divide between older people with owned property (and investments) and the rest.

Yes the baby boomers are well and truly spreading their wings.

Excellent analysis by Ian Verrender on the state of the economy. Highlights the generational divide between older people with owned property (and investments) and the rest.

Yes the baby boomers are well and truly spreading their wings.

Interesting article, but IMO poorly researched. There are many more factors than just a generation of people.

"House prices have boomed since 2000, far outpacing income growth," economist Gerard Minack says.

The biggest and harshest increase in housing prices has been more recent than 2000, why is that? It seems to have coincided with massive increases in immigration and overseas university students.

In the normal course of events we would cheer an industry that has been able to grow its revenue by securing a new cohort of customers. When those customers are from overseas, we might shout even more loudly because a new export industry has been created.
In the case of the international student industry, the fact the customers mainly come and reside in the country is certainly a complication.

My daughter and her partner have purchased a home which was a rental and 9 months to go on the lease. Both are still living with their parents and getting ready to move in soon, paying as much as they can of the mortgage while they have this advantage. Their goal is to live frugally and pay the mortgage in a very quick time frame. No tattoos or daily bought coffee and lunches, no overseas holidays or regular restaurant dinner, but there will be extra overtime to increase the wages, home cooked meals, dinner at home with friends and family.

The article needs to look a bit deeper, add a few more chapters.

My grandparents and then my parents worked very hard, lived frugally but had a good time, and raised a large family. They paid off their home and set up their future retirement with investments, and once that was done, they went on a holiday overseas. I don't agree with proportion blame on them for the current wealth and housing issues in Australia.

Interesting article, but IMO poorly researched. There are many more factors than just a generation of people.

"House prices have boomed since 2000, far outpacing income growth," economist Gerard Minack says.

The biggest and harshest increase in housing prices has been more recent than 2000, why is that? It seems to have coincided with massive increases in immigration and overseas university students.

In the normal course of events we would cheer an industry that has been able to grow its revenue by securing a new cohort of customers. When those customers are from overseas, we might shout even more loudly because a new export industry has been created.
In the case of the international student industry, the fact the customers mainly come and reside in the country is certainly a complication.

My daughter and her partner have purchased a home which was a rental and 9 months to go on the lease. Both are still living with their parents and getting ready to move in soon, paying as much as they can of the mortgage while they have this advantage. Their goal is to live frugally and pay the mortgage in a very quick time frame. No tattoos or daily bought coffee and lunches, no overseas holidays or regular restaurant dinner, but there will be extra overtime to increase the wages, home cooked meals, dinner at home with friends and family.

The article needs to look a bit deeper, add a few more chapters.

My grandparents and then my parents worked very hard, lived frugally but had a good time, and raised a large family. They paid off their home and set up their future retirement with investments, and once that was done, they went on a holiday overseas. I don't agree with proportion blame on them for the current wealth and housing issues in Australia.
Interesting observation John De. Yes not every factor is necessarily taken into account in that story. The big item Ian Verrander missed in my view (and many others) was the impact of John Howards decision tohalve the headline rate of Capital gains tax.

House prices in Australia are soaring, but not because there aren't enough homes

.......What appeared to set things off was a decision by Prime Minister John Howard in 1999 to halve the headline rate of capital gains tax. Not that the committee he asked to investigate the idea recognised the possibility at the time.

The Ralph Review recommended that half, rather than all, of each capital gain be taxed, rather than the portion above inflation as had been the case since capital gains were taxed.

The rationale was that this would "encourage a greater level of investment, particularly in innovative, high-growth companies".

A rush into property rather than high-tech companies​

The review was right about the change encouraging investment, but wrong about the sort of investment.

Rather than buy shares in innovative companies, Australians bought rental properties like they never had before.
If they bid enough, they could borrow enough to negatively gear; to make sure their interest charges exceeded their income from rent, giving them annual losses they could offset against wages that would otherwise be taxed at high rates.

There was nothing new about negative gearing. It had been permitted from the beginning. What was new was the opportunity to later sell the property at a profit, knowing only half of the profit would be taxed.

Investors could offset all of their losses and be taxed only half their eventual gain.

Pretty soon, more than a third of the money lent for housing each month went to landlords. For several dizzying months during 2015 it was 45 per cent. First home buyers struggled to compete.

Interesting observation John De. Yes not every factor is necessarily taken into account in that story. The big item Ian Verrander missed in my view (and many others) was the impact of John Howards decision tohalve the headline rate of Capital gains tax.

House prices in Australia are soaring, but not because there aren't enough homes

.......What appeared to set things off was a decision by Prime Minister John Howard in 1999 to halve the headline rate of capital gains tax. Not that the committee he asked to investigate the idea recognised the possibility at the time.

The Ralph Review recommended that half, rather than all, of each capital gain be taxed, rather than the portion above inflation as had been the case since capital gains were taxed.

The rationale was that this would "encourage a greater level of investment, particularly in innovative, high-growth companies".

The review was right about the change encouraging investment, but wrong about the sort of investment.

Rather than buy shares in innovative companies, Australians bought rental properties like they never had before.
If they bid enough, they could borrow enough to negatively gear; to make sure their interest charges exceeded their income from rent, giving them annual losses they could offset against wages that would otherwise be taxed at high rates.

There was nothing new about negative gearing. It had been permitted from the beginning. What was new was the opportunity to later sell the property at a profit, knowing only half of the profit would be taxed.

Investors could offset all of their losses and be taxed only half their eventual gain.

Pretty soon, more than a third of the money lent for housing each month went to landlords. For several dizzying months during 2015 it was 45 per cent. First home buyers struggled to compete.

Do you then agree to take inflation into account, yiu might be surprised by the results in the last few years

Back then we were told it would help increase rental stock, while at the same time help with wealth distribution to the lower classes by allowing low-income families to invest in property.

And it worked, people on low wages got into the property market, people started to build rental stock, wealth was shared. there was a period during the late 90's and early 2000's where there was more rental tock than renters, causing drastic price drops in rent. I don't recall governments and welfare agencies complaining about that for the investors.

My father was one of those new investors, he was a working-class guy working multiple jobs. Purchased his first rental when I was 10 and had the whole family working to renovate it. The next when I was 13, and I was there again to help restore it for renting. then another when I was 16, and then he built one when I was 18. He did not purchase a new car or go overseas, every spare cent went into building for his retirement.

And now we have governments and other organisations trying to make those people out to be greedy rich people, when all they did was sacrifice and work within the rules that helped build a wealthy and successful country.

However, nothing stands still forever.

Changes to the rules need to be made, many of the current property investors are building portfolios that have dozens of houses. Maybe the government could change the tax rules so that the benefit is for the first few properties, and then stops but changes to a benefit for building a apartment or retirement village :)

Last edited:
Back then we were told it would help increase rental stock, while at the same time help with wealth distribution to the lower classes by allowing low-income families to invest in property.

And it worked, people on low wages got into the property market, people started to build rental stock, wealth was shared. there was a period during the late 90's and early 2000's where there was more rental tock than renters, causing drastic price drops in rent. I don't recall governments and welfare agencies complaining about that for the investors.

My father was one of those new investors, he was a working-class guy working multiple jobs. Purchased his first rental when I was 10 and had the whole family working to renovate it. The next when I was 13, and I was there again to help restore it for renting. then another when I was 16, and then he built one when I was 18. He did not purchase a new car or go overseas, every spare cent went into building for his retirement.

And now we have governments and other organisations trying to make those people out to be greedy rich people, when all they did was sacrifice and work within the rules that helped build a wealthy and successful country.

However, nothing stands still forever.

Changes to the rules need to be made, many of the current property investors are building portfolios that have dozens of houses. Maybe the government could change the tax rules so that the benefit is for the first few properties, and then stops but changes to a benefit for building a apartment or retirement village :)
Or just changing all capital gain to include inflation.that would be fair, allow long term investments RE, businesses, shares instead of favoring yearly swap.
But fair chance of that as this removes a lot of ATO seizures during high inflation times aka now.....