Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

The state of the economy at the street level

i hope they comply to ALL the rules and regulations ( not just selected ones ) ( and pay the staff proper award wages )

realistically i see this as a franchise scam , just like Australia Post ( offload the actual outlets to franchisees )
Underpaid staff was the first thing that came to my mind.

I wonder when they're setting up public housing and capping the rents. :D

Now that the RBA have held rates, what are the forward looking stats that might make them consider a cut?
Especially as most of the data points like inflation, unemployment, consumer spending etc are at leat six weeks after the event.
Mick
1722923287384.png

Govt run fuels stations, this is going to be interesting in Qld.

View attachment 182126
Ampol is back as a brand name now so how about reviving Solo as well?

For those unaware Solo existed 1970’s - 80’s and whilst not government was heavily aligned with the unions, indeed it did have an official arrangement with the ACTU supplying discounted fuel to union members.

Now that the RBA have held rates, what are the forward looking stats that might make them consider a cut?
Especially as most of the data points like inflation, unemployment, consumer spending etc are at leat six weeks after the event.
Mick
View attachment 182127
Another issue is how many job ads are real?

It’s one area where regulation is warranted in my view but it’s a reality that fake job ads are a thing and not uncommon.

Logic and gut feel says the decline would be in real ads not the fake ones. If so then the decline of real actually available jobs would be greater in % terms than the data shows.

Another issue is how many job ads are real?

It’s one area where regulation is warranted in my view but it’s a reality that fake job ads are a thing and not uncommon.

Logic and gut feel says the decline would be in real ads not the fake ones. If so then the decline of real actually available jobs would be greater in % terms than the data shows.

i don't know about now , but a couple of decades back there was an annoying percentage of ads that were 'fishing expeditions '

and only a couple of years back certain professionals where 'head-hunted ' ( offered jobs while still currently employed ) so they don't seem to get advertised at all

I hope so. I'm trying to get a few small jobs done; so far I can't land a reply, let alone a quote
There will probably be a crossover point of not enough work and materials dropping where you will get some cheap prices.
Once rates start lowering it might shoot off again.

A sign of the economy, or a sign of the times?

The rate of shoplifting in WA has doubled in recent years, WA Police report.

Monthly statistics rounding out the financial year put 2023-24 way ahead of previous years data was collected for shoplifting.

More than 33,000 offences were recorded by the agency over the past 12 months, 6000 more than the previous year and almost double the amount from three years ago.
Only half of those recorded offences from last year led to a conviction.

WAtoday has also broken down the numbers to reveal which suburbs ranked worst for stealing in general, which includes shoplifting. The list is topped by suburbs containing some of the state’s biggest shopping centres.
Perth, home to the CBD and the largest concentration of retailers, was top of the list, followed by Cannington, home of Westfield Carousel.
Third was Midland, in Perth’s eastern suburbs, home to Midland Gate, containing 50-plus retailers, while Rockingham came fourth.
Fremantle was fifth then Cloverdale, home of Belmont Shopping Centre, with Armadale, Morley and then neighbours Maddington and Thornlie rounding out the top 10.
Ashfield IGA owner Sarah Wang said people stole items from her shop on average every other day and attempts to stop them had led to violence.
Last year she was pepper-sprayed in the face after attempting to confront two 13 and 14-year-old girls who had allegedly stolen food, drinks and toiletries. Wang and her husband attempted to block them from leaving the store which resulted in one of the girls allegedly pepper-spraying her in the face and then raising her fist and threatening to punch her.

The girls were arrested after CCTV footage allegedly caught them in the act, but Wang said one year on, the situation was just as bad.

Perth’s 20 worst suburbs for shoplifting (in 2023-24 financial year)
Perth3,527
Cannington1,938
Midland1,674
Rockingham1,545
Fremantle1,408
Cloverdale1,365
Armadale1,351
Morley1,193
Maddington1,158
Thornlie1,042
Rivervale1,021
Gosnells987
Innaloo983
Baldivis979
Bentley949
Joondalup936
Ellenbrook923
Belmont881
East Perth852
Victoria Park829

Monthly statistics rounding out the financial year put 2023-24 way ahead of previous years data was collected for shoplifting.

More than 33,000 offences were recorded by the agency over the past 12 months, 6000 more than the previous year and almost double the amount from three years ago.

WAtoday has also broken down the numbers to reveal which suburbs ranked worst for stealing in general, which includes shoplifting. The list is topped by suburbs containing some of the state’s biggest shopping centres.
Perth, home to the CBD and the largest concentration of retailers, was top of the list, followed by Cannington, home of Westfield Carousel.
Third was Midland, in Perth’s eastern suburbs, home to Midland Gate, containing 50-plus retailers, while Rockingham came fourth.
Fremantle was fifth then Cloverdale, home of Belmont Shopping Centre, with Armadale, Morley and then neighbours Maddington and Thornlie rounding out the top 10.
Ashfield IGA owner Sarah Wang said people stole items from her shop on average every other day and attempts to stop them had led to violence.
Last year she was pepper-sprayed in the face after attempting to confront two 13 and 14-year-old girls who had allegedly stolen food, drinks and toiletries. Wang and her husband attempted to block them from leaving the store which resulted in one of the girls allegedly pepper-spraying her in the face and then raising her fist and threatening to punch her.

The girls were arrested after CCTV footage allegedly caught them in the act, but Wang said one year on, the situation was just as bad.

Perth3,527
Cannington1,938
Midland1,674
Rockingham1,545
Fremantle1,408
Cloverdale1,365
Armadale1,351
Morley1,193
Maddington1,158
Thornlie1,042
Rivervale1,021
Gosnells987
Innaloo983
Baldivis979
Bentley949
Joondalup936
Ellenbrook923
Belmont881
East Perth852
Victoria Park829
Looking more like the woke state of California every day.

Looking more like the woke state of California every day.

and the likely result is less ( 'minor' ) crimes will be reported in statistics ( either because of political pressure , or stretched police resources will not let those incidents be investigated/resolved )

( BTW i believe QLD is well ahead of WA in it's Californication trend )

and the likely result is less ( 'minor' ) crimes will be reported in statistics ( either because of political pressure , or stretched police resources will not let those incidents be investigated/resolved )

( BTW i believe QLD is well ahead of WA in it's Californication trend )
Anything stolen under $950 is classed as a misdemeanour and they basically get a slap on the wrist if sent through the courts.

(Good old Labor in Qld, lols!)

Perth3,527
Cannington1,938
Midland1,674
Rockingham1,545
Fremantle1,408
Cloverdale1,365
Armadale1,351
Morley1,193
Maddington1,158
Thornlie1,042
Rivervale1,021
Gosnells987
Innaloo983
Baldivis979
Bentley949
Joondalup936
Ellenbrook923
Belmont881
East Perth852
Victoria Park829

Don't know if I mentioned it before talking to the staff at Jim Kidd at the Forum during school holidays they get around 5 to 8 "runners out of the shop" a day had up to 15 but that's normal apparently.

A lot of small businesses are hitting the wall. I'm seeing a lot of empty shop fronts the last few weeks. A large number have notes from the landlord saying that they have locked the tenant out
@moXJO So with this scenario the poor tenant goes home penniless and the landlord gleans no income from that premises, probably which makes little to no difference to him or her or corporate.

A lot of small businesses are hitting the wall. I'm seeing a lot of empty shop fronts the last few weeks. A large number have notes from the landlord saying that they have locked the tenant out
@moXJO So with this scenario the poor tenant goes home penniless and the landlord gleans no income from that premises, probably which makes little to no difference to him or her or corporate.

Just revisiting where I used to live, and learned that the favourite, always full, good value, courteous and clean local café, is to close. The landlord put the rent up $1000 a week.

So he's walking. Students and local kids lose part time jobs. Will someone else step up? Probably only suitable for coffee, the location offers harbour views and a local meeting point .

The landlord might be a mum and dad struggling to pay the rates, body corporate fees and insurances with his her own ,8 to 5 job,,?
You should know better Monsieur @farmerge this is the real world, not the ABC or a current affair...