Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

The state of the economy at the street level

most defiantly they would be. but would be interesting to see if he sells more or other MPs do as it may give a good indication to new laws possibly coming ahead
I think he's just selling the place to set up a marital home somewhere.

Labor is dead scared of changing -ve gearing and CGT laws because the reckon it costs them an election.

I don't think it did, but the fear of defeat is greater than the doing of good for politicians.

Labor is dead scared of changing -ve gearing and CGT laws because the reckon it costs them an election.

I don't think it did, but the fear of defeat is greater than the doing of good for politicians.
Sir R I reckon that any side of politics is dead scared of losing their comfy seat and the excesses they are paid if they make the wrong call. That is if the call is in their favour.

most defiantly they would be. but would be interesting to see if he sells more or other MPs do as it may give a good indication to new laws possibly coming ahead
Vic is basically a last resort for investment properties, Canberra is a headache and Qld is on the chopping block.

The WA advocates are trying to push for everything that Vic has.

The funny thing is that I've warned tenancy advocate groups the govt won't look after people with public housing because it ends up too expensive, if it's a struggle for private IPs it will be impossible for the Govt to maintain them because everything usually costs them twice as much.

If that is the case, why doesn't he sell his residential home? That would make more sense, no CGT.

we haven't the usual franking credit talk as yet from the ALP yet either so.
i think he knows he has pretty much lost the election, and will be moving out of his prime ministers house so wanting to buy up in a eastern suburb place

Clime time: Taxing unrealised capital gains – is there a better idea?​

this is a very slippery slope

at best it is double taxation ( with real inflation being the initial tax ) at worst it is the thin end of the wedge ( and is liable to be increased , and increased until all incentive to be productive ceases ( or becomes criminal activity )

but maybe it will drive the Greens into extinction ( no one left to bleed dry )

Clime time: Taxing unrealised capital gains – is there a better idea?​

this is a very slippery slope

at best it is double taxation ( with real inflation being the initial tax ) at worst it is the thin end of the wedge ( and is liable to be increased , and increased until all incentive to be productive ceases ( or becomes criminal activity )

but maybe it will drive the Greens into extinction ( no one left to bleed dry )
What makes me furious is that they go after people who have worked hard all their lives and made sacrifices to get where they are today. I can't stand a govt that keeps on changing the goal posts on people to steal wealth from them. You can clearly see that most of them have never worked a hard day in their lives or they wouldn't be doing what they do.

Let them bring stupid policies in to steal from retirees because most of them will take their wealth and retire overseas, and ones the run out of money will come back with nothing to be a burden to the govt system.

The worst idea ever. Apart from the points above, how should these unrealised gain be valued?

Mark to market? Only applies at a point in time and may fluctuate wildly.

Subjective assessment is someone's opinion (some mongrel tax assessor) which may not reflect reality.

What about unrealised losses? Will these receive a credit? I can't see that happening.

Additionally, where should one acquire the cash to pay UCGT on non fungible assets.

This is a rotten stinking idea which should never see the light of day.

The worst idea ever. Apart from the points above, how should these unrealised gain be valued?

Mark to market? Only applies at a point in time and may fluctuate wildly.

Subjective assessment is someone's option which may not reflect reality.

What about unrealised losses? Will these receive a credit? I can't see that happening.

Additionally, where should one acquire the cash to pay UCGT on non fungible assets.

This is a rotten stinking idea which should never see the light of day.
Will it include politicians investment properties? Lol

If they put it on one assets class, on what basis can they exempt another?

As per my succeeding point regarding non cgt assets, perhaps this is what has prompted Dear Leader's latest RE transactions?

Or an I just being cynical?
@wayneL Nah not cynical.
Perhaps Dear Leader has seen the writing on the wall or better still heard Chinese Whispers that he is on the nose.
Time to take up thy swag and move on.
Flog off unnecessary assets and be cashed up.

What makes me furious is that they go after people who have worked hard all their lives and made sacrifices to get where they are today. I can't stand a govt that keeps on changing the goal posts on people to steal wealth from them. You can clearly see that most of them have never worked a hard day in their lives or they wouldn't be doing what they do.

Let them bring stupid policies in to steal from retirees because most of them will take their wealth and retire overseas, and ones the run out of money will come back with nothing to be a burden to the govt system.
parasites just have to suck ( it is their nature )

there is a solution , but will society enact the solution

let's see if the super-spreader ( the next probable leader ) tries to adopt the same policy

( the Government needs all the taxes they can get )