Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

The state of the economy at the street level

100% off grid , is becoming a more affordable option to many , and may have extra future benefits

BTW the government needs the power on , to monitor you all 😉
Off grid not favoured by Qld government as their giveaway of our tax money is attached to a power bill account..
So tenants in shed at the back, shared houses, it is a weird way to bride votes

Off grid not favoured by Qld government as their giveaway of our tax money is attached to a power bill account..
So tenants in shed at the back, shared houses, it is a weird way to bride votes
and what if i don't favour the Government ( and half the stuff they are doing ) after all this farm chugs along nicely without town water or sewerage ( think all the carbon savings i am not getting credit for )

Did anyone hear the interview on ABC Radio national with the Greens housing spokesman Max Chandler-Mather?

I almost spat my coffee out with laughter and disbelief.

The Greens want the Federal government to pass a law that puts a cap on rents. Rent prices would be dictated by government, and Capital gains tax would only be for new builds. These changes would create cheaper rents and cause more secondhand properties to enter the market for home buyers, and lower inflation.

When asked about the 1 million immigrants putting pressure on the housing market Max basically said, 'no way, immigration has no effect on housing'.

How do these people get a job? Oh, that's right, they haven't had a job, they got elected to parliament to represent voters.

Max Chandler-Mather, who on Thursday reiterated his calls for a nationally co-ordinated rent freeze and ongoing caps, said he did not believe migration was the “primary cause of the housing crisis”.
Greens say migration ‘not the main cause’ of Australia’s housing crisis
The Greens say migration should not be blamed for the crisis gripping the country, despite the Reserve Bank governor saying it was putting pressure on the housing market.
Michele Bullock on Tuesday said new migrants had “added to demand” and “pressure” in the housing market, but at the same time migration had contributed to labour supply.

It followed the government’s own expert housing supply and affordability council last week citing the “resumption of migration at pace” as one of the key factors that made the housing shortfall “more acute”.

But Greens housing spokesman Max Chandler-Mather, who on Thursday reiterated his calls for a nationally co-ordinated rent freeze and ongoing caps, said he did not believe migration was the “primary cause of the housing crisis”.

dc69e1c9a11531c11f71300a043c04b3.jpgGreens housing and homeless spokesman Max Chandler Mather said he did not believe migration was the primary cause of the crisis gripping the country. Picture: NCA NewsWire / Martin Ollman

He pointed instead to the “tens of billions of dollars” the government doled out to property investors, a lack of rent caps and chronic underinvestment in public housing.

“I suppose I get frustrated with this because to be perfectly frank, even if Australia’s migration was brought down to net-zero as it was during Covid, that did not solve the housing crisis,” Mr Chandler-Mather said.

In the year to September, Australia’s net overseas migration reached an estimated 518,000.

Building approvals, a leading indicator of Australia’s residential construction pipeline, meanwhile fell to just under 163,000 in the year to March 2024.

Over the coming years, the Albanese government is forecasting an annual migration growth rate of 370,000 people as the post-Covid movement stabilises.

Meanwhile, the report found Labor’s “suitably ambitious” target of building 1.2m homes over the coming five years would not be met.

Council chair Susan Lloyd-Hurwitz said there were a combination of factors that had led to the significant shortfall.

She said “deep-seated” issues with insufficient supply had become more acute due to the spike in migration, namely “rising interest rates, skills shortages, elevated construction company insolvencies, weak consumer confidence and cost inflation”.

Treasurer Jim Chalmers has hinted next week’s federal budget will feature housing policies in a bid to deal with the crisis.

On Thursday, Mr Chandler-Mather said Australia needed migration and did not want to see migrants being “demonised” and blamed for the crisis.

“In the past Australia’s had high rates of migration, and it hasn’t been a problem because governments have invested in building government homes,” he said.

Mr Chandler-Mather said Australia’s housing system, which allowed people to treat homes as a “lucrative financial asset” had led to a large number of vacant homes across the country, despite record low vacancy rates.

About 10 per cent of homes were unoccupied on census night in 2021, although many of those can be explained away by short term factors.

He said banks were “far bigger culprits” than migrants.

Did anyone hear the interview on ABC Radio national with the Greens housing spokesman Max Chandler-Mather?

I almost spat my coffee out with laughter and disbelief.

The Greens want the Federal government to pass a law that puts a cap on rents. Rent prices would be dictated by government, and Capital gains tax would only be for new builds. These changes would create cheaper rents and cause more secondhand properties to enter the market for home buyers, and lower inflation.

When asked about the 1 million immigrants putting pressure on the housing market Max basically said, 'no way, immigration has no effect on housing'.

How do these people get a job? Oh, that's right, they haven't had a job, they got elected to parliament to represent voters.

Max Chandler-Mather, who on Thursday reiterated his calls for a nationally co-ordinated rent freeze and ongoing caps, said he did not believe migration was the “primary cause of the housing crisis”.
communists need to start to be treated to similar laws as the nazis are. Not put into government. Guys are trash.

Yeah, I laughed (incredulously) at that too.

I think the Greens have some good points about housing, but to turn a blind eye to the economics of high immigration and it's effects on housing prices for the sake of wokeism is pretty stupid in my opinion.

Two recent observations:

Apparently there's an ongoing shortage of cat vaccinations. Vet didn't really know the full story as to why, but apparently it's an ongoing problem and there's now a waiting list. Hmm....

The other, completely unrelated one, is I'm starting to see tradies advertising for work. Roof painting most notably and given that's a very discretionary thing, it's not like say plumbing or electrical that are often emergencies or at least urgent, I'm taking that as a sign of consumers cutting back on discretionary spending.

Both in Adelaide.

Two recent observations:

Apparently there's an ongoing shortage of cat vaccinations. Vet didn't really know the full story as to why, but apparently it's an ongoing problem and there's now a waiting list. Hmm....

The other, completely unrelated one, is I'm starting to see tradies advertising for work. Roof painting most notably and given that's a very discretionary thing, it's not like say plumbing or electrical that are often emergencies or at least urgent, I'm taking that as a sign of consumers cutting back on discretionary spending.

Both in Adelaide.
well roof painters have a very bad name in Queensland due to what seems to be waves ( about every two years ) of wandering scammers , so yes i could see why the legit guys would struggle -- add in it is often economical to replace the roof with a different alternative and whack on solar panels in the process

well that seems to be a trend in Queensland ( probably aided by the solar rebates )

Roof painters are generally gypsies. Bunch of travellers ripping people off.
@moXJO Irish and Pom gypsies.
We had the Bitumen Bandits do a access road on the farm.
But sadly, for them not a cent left my pocket.
All the material they used was stolen from the road builders who were upgrading the road at the time.
A substandard job but it helps to keep the dust down.

Bottom line is 2008 with the financial crisis marked a turning point with globalisation. Not the end, but a turning point which ended the trend up to that point.

As with any major shift, it takes a while for the effects to become obvious but we're starting to see it now. :2twocents
A good article, that sums up the situation perfectly smurf.

Shops selling smaller goods seems to be up in trade the last couple of weeks. Malls are packed again but not sure they are spending beyond lunches. A few specially stores have gone out of business in the malls.

Most trades and suppliers are in a weird zone of churning. Most people are out of savings and are pay check to pay check.

...Most trades and suppliers are in a weird zone of churning. Most people are out of savings and are pay check to pay check.
yes, I'm getting some jobs done around the property. No shortage of interest for trades , they turn up when agreed. A few times there's an extra hand on site, "Relax, you're not paying for him" . OK then.

yes, I'm getting some jobs done around the property. No shortage of interest for trades , they turn up when agreed. A few times there's an extra hand on site, "Relax, you're not paying for him" . OK then.
You have to wonder if housing build numbers have dropped off a cliff?
Government wanted to build 200k or something unachievable. Trades seem to quiet for that target to be met.
Maybe investment has run scared.

You have to wonder if housing build numbers have dropped off a cliff?
Government wanted to build 200k or something unachievable. Trades seem to quiet for that target to be met.
Maybe investment has run scared.
retired , scared , left the business or just can't get investment capital , maybe all four

add in a few allegedly defective products , but most likely can't fill their gender quotas

There's a boom going on that little is known about.
Silt fences on construction sites.
The EPA has been handing out $30k fines to site principles and $5k fines to individuals, for damaging or removing silt fences or not having them installed.
They're not warning, they're just slapping fines.
Thus the boom to be installing them.

Have heard WorkCover is doing random drive-by's in under construction housing areas.

Sounds like the NSW grubberment is trying to fill the coffers from RR.
Revenue raising.

Shops selling smaller goods seems to be up in trade the last couple of weeks. Malls are packed again but not sure they are spending beyond lunches. A few specially stores have gone out of business in the malls.

Most trades and suppliers are in a weird zone of churning. Most people are out of savings and are pay check to pay check.

The 25 - 29 & 30 - 34 age group are the only to cut back on spending. The article states it is likely off the back off young people moving back home/share houses. It's worth while read imo.

1716455457226.png

The 25 - 29 & 30 - 34 age group are the only to cut back on spending. The article states it is likely off the back off young people moving back home/share houses. It's worth while read imo.

View attachment 177468
well between inflation ( which us old fogeys remember well ) means testing of pensions , and our enduring trust in banks ( sarcasm )

' use it or lose it ' might be a dominating thought ( especially if the youngsters are 'privileged , demanding' and show hints of treachery )

There's a boom going on that little is known about.
Silt fences on construction sites.
The EPA has been handing out $30k fines to site principles and $5k fines to individuals, for damaging or removing silt fences or not having them installed.
They're not warning, they're just slapping fines.
Thus the boom to be installing them.

Have heard WorkCover is doing random drive-by's in under construction housing areas.

Sounds like the NSW grubberment is trying to fill the coffers from RR.
Revenue raising.
Yeah workcover are out there slapping fines like crazy, bloody grubs. I know they are making it ridiculous for sole traders as well. I actually know a few guys that were that furious with them they quit the industry. Experienced guys as well.
Labor every time.