Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

The state of the economy at the street level

The slow drift down IMO is because of the money injections, through direct subsisdies, wage increases and next the tax changes, from memory in the past this hasn't been tried, it will be interesting to see the end result.
Will people manage to survive by pedling faster and a new norm arrives where high prices are sustainable, it may mean that people just have to get used to working harder, in a lot of countries that is the norm.
The massive influx of migrants is the other thing. Painter mate says Chinese, Iranian and other new arrivals are knocking him off by half. Of course the job is often wrecked via shoddy work. But the money is already gone by that time and migrants often send the bulk overseas.

There's multiple balancing acts going on right now. I haven't looked too in depth on the state of things though.

For a real good laugh , have a look at what my old union , the CFMEU is asking ( no , Demanding ) on the Cross River Rail job up in Qld . It's already a $ Billion over budget . Now they want $ 200,000 p.a. just for entry level workers.

Guess who ends up paying for all this rorting ?

For a real good laugh , have a look at what my old union , the CFMEU is asking ( no , Demanding ) on the Cross River Rail job up in Qld . It's already a $ Billion over budget . Now they want $ 200,000 p.a. just for entry level workers.

Trying to milk Labor for all they're worth.

Thats what happen where there is no competition.

CFMEU is a closed shop and excels in these rorts.

Tradies earning 300k+ a year is ridiculous.
What I see is a serious imbalance.

A lack of young people going into trades meanwhile we're pumping them through uni despite already having an oversupply in many fields.

Rationally, market economics ought correct this. It ought lead to fewer going through uni, especially in subjects that don't directly lead to employment in fields with good prospects, and more pursuing a trade. That it's not happening suggests a deeper problem. :2twocents

What I see is a serious imbalance.

A lack of young people going into trades meanwhile we're pumping them through uni despite already having an oversupply in many fields.

Rationally, market economics ought correct this. It ought lead to fewer going through uni, especially in subjects that don't directly lead to employment in fields with good prospects, and more pursuing a trade. That it's not happening suggests a deeper problem. :2twocents
I am currently in the process of redesigning my 300SQM backyard in to a large vege patch (yes I’m a retired Boomer , just). I’m very good at handyman work round the house and garden (plumbing, carpentry, etc) and physically capable to do the backyard work myself. However I estimate I have about 150 hours of work to do in the back yard.
My wife says, yes you can do it over 2-3 months but you’l be knackered., advertise for someone to help you, a uni student or youngster looking for cash in had work. It is simply digging the garden, cutting back hedges, wheelbarrowing 20 SQM mulch, laying pavers (not professionally), general clearing.

I advertised $30 an hour on airtasker for an ‘labourer’ with a description of the work and committed to 150 hours over 2-3 months.

…….. the abuse I got was astonishing !!!!!

I had friends round for dinner and they said ‘for that type of labourer basic work people won’t get out of bed for less than $100 an hour’.

The moral of the story is ….. as a 59 year old (wanting to earn some beer money) I am advertising my ‘labourer’ skills for $50 an hour. Looks like I’m gonna be busy for ….. May, June, July , August …..

you get the idea ….

Yes wages are too high in Australia for the quality of service provided, if there is even any quality, I’ve said it for years ….,

I am currently in the process of redesigning my 300SQM backyard in to a large vege patch (yes I’m a retired Boomer , just). I’m very good at handyman work round the house and garden (plumbing, carpentry, etc) and physically capable to do the backyard work myself. However I estimate I have about 150 hours of work to do in the back yard.
My wife says, yes you can do it over 2-3 months but you’l be knackered., advertise for someone to help you, a uni student or youngster looking for cash in had work. It is simply digging the garden, cutting back hedges, wheelbarrowing 20 SQM mulch, laying pavers (not professionally), general clearing.

I advertised $30 an hour on airtasker for an ‘labourer’ with a description of the work and committed to 150 hours over 2-3 months.

…….. the abuse I got was astonishing !!!!!

I had friends round for dinner and they said ‘for that type of labourer basic work people won’t get out of bed for less than $100 an hour’.

The moral of the story is ….. as a 59 year old (wanting to earn some beer money) I am advertising my ‘labourer’ skills for $50 an hour. Looks like I’m gonna be busy for ….. May, June, July , August …..

you get the idea ….

Yes wages are too high in Australia for the quality of service provided, if there is even any quality, I’ve said it for years ….,
@Gunnerguy Though I have been self-employed for over 40 years and had off siders work for me there would be no way I would be paying $100 an hour.
Sure fired way to going broke.
Rule of thumb with employees, earn me twice what I pay.
Impossible.
An Iron Lung isn't a very moveable object.
A good mate out in the wheatbelt has three employees driving tractors at 12 hour stints at $40 an hour pulling Reef-anators behind 600hp tractors, and that is a pretty good income.
Tucker, accommodation and a ute are part of the deal.

@Gunnerguy Though I have been self-employed for over 40 years and had off siders work for me there would be no way I would be paying $100 an hour.
Sure fired way to going broke.
Rule of thumb with employees, earn me twice what I pay.
Impossible.
An Iron Lung isn't a very moveable object.
A good mate out in the wheatbelt has three employees driving tractors at 12 hour stints at $40 an hour pulling Reef-anators behind 600hp tractors, and that is a pretty good income.
Tucker, accommodation and a ute are part of the deal.
So add food, accommodation and a tracker to the deal to the $40 per hour and yes, as I said ……‘won’t get out of bed for less than $100 per hour’

What is the world coming to ???

… Oh why is inflation so high..,wages are too high and productivity is low, go figure…

Rant over (for the moment)

So add food, accommodation and a tracker to the deal to the $40 per hour and yes, as I said ……‘won’t get out of bed for less than $100 per hour’

… Oh why is inflation so high..,wages are too high and productivity is low, go figure…

And do not forget the highest jump in income tax this year to add to the debt servicing also incredibly high...
In this context, is RE here really that high?
I just believe the AUD is just overvalued and we are living in an Australian pesos mode.... $100k for a work ute , $100 an hour for pushing a manual shovel in sand, $130k a year for lollypop men etc etc.

And do not forget the highest jump in income tax this year to add to the debt servicing also incredibly high...
In this context, is RE here really that high?
I just believe the AUD is just overvalued and we are living in an Australian pesos mode.... $100k for a work ute , $100 an hour for pushing a manual shovel in sand, $130k a year for lollypop men etc etc.
And why I'm getting the bucket list done, while the $Aus that is in my super will still pay for it.

There is no way Aust is going to get manufacturing back to anything like it previously was, at best it will be a niche essential product, that isn't too expensive to make here like container based grid batteries, but even those will have to be subsidised to to compete with Chinese ones.

So eventually the social services have to be pared back, as is happening with NDIS and most other cost cutting, then when that is done all that's left is the value of the South Sea peso sorry I mean dollar. Lol

Is there any wonder the Govt doesn't want to tank property, the pyramid is way too high.

Thats what happen where there is no competition.

CFMEU is a closed shop and excels in these rorts.
why not they are a major funder of the ALP

the ALP would really struggle without CFMEU support ( financially and 'boots on the ground'at election time )

they have got to throw the rank and file some scraps for all that hard work

And why I'm getting the bucket list done, while the $Aus that is in my super will still pay for it.

There is no way Aust is going to get manufacturing back to anything like it previously was, at best it will be a niche essential product, that isn't too expensive to make here like container based grid batteries, but even those will have to be subsidised to to compete with Chinese ones.

So eventually the social services have to be pared back, as is happening with NDIS and most other cost cutting, then when that is done all that's left is the value of the South Sea peso sorry I mean dollar. Lol

Is there any wonder the Govt doesn't want to tank property, the pyramid is way too high.
Anything manufactured that has a lowish labour content might survive.
Look to see more robotic and other automated manufacturing.
The money will be made by those suporting the robots.
Mick

but i saw this coming ( unlike my health issues ) back in 2010 and chose the path i am on

how did academia not foresee this .. all those salaries wasted ( gazing at other agendas )

Anything manufactured that has a lowish labour content might survive.
Look to see more robotic and other automated manufacturing.
The money will be made by those suporting the robots.
Mick
and that will be another step down the devolutionary ladder ( the extra costs involved)

it all assumes efficiencies will be gained on an increasing population

but i saw this coming ( unlike my health issues ) back in 2010 and chose the path i am on

how did academia not foresee this .. all those salaries wasted ( gazing at other agendas )
Well it was obvious to the blue collar workers, as soon as tarrifs started reducing, I remember as an apprentice the tradesmen saying how the hell are we meant to compete with workers on a grain of rice a week, who have no holidays, who have no sickies, who have no health care.

What they said back then has finally come home to roost, the funny part is the architects of it, now go " who would have thought this would hapen".

Well it will be interesting to watch the property ownership of politicians over the next 5 years IMO.

and that will be another step down the devolutionary ladder ( the extra costs involved)

it all assumes efficiencies will be gained on an increasing population
Well their expectations are less, for a start, that' an advantage.

Well it was obvious to the blue collar workers, as soon as tarrifs started reducing, I remember as an apprentice the tradesmen saying how the hell are we meant to compete with workers on a grain of rice a week, who have no holidays, who have no sickies, who have no health care.

What they said back then has finally come home to roost, the funny part is the architects of it, now go " who would have thought this would hapen".

Well it will be interesting to watch the property ownership of politicians over the next 5 years IMO.

HA , they will probably stop printing the pecuniary interests under , say 'national security ' or something

( or hide them more effectively in trust structures )

I used to work for a small mining company that used to do refurbishments, we used to stay in small towns of like 20~50 people max. In 2013 a farmer used to pay backpackers $5~10/hr to pick pawpaws all day and they did it the poor buggers.

Another time we had demountable offices and lunch rooms, do you think we could find someone to clean them in towns that didn't have any work? People would turn up for a week and never be seen again.