Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

The completely useless irrelevant thread

Luxury, indeed! A reference to one of my favourite skits of all time - in case anyone's missed it somehow (fairly decent recording and rendition):

I'm from Yorkshire and find that very demeaning, it denigrates our heritage and stereotypes us as a disadvantaged people with obvious wealth as portrayed by their dress, I would cancel them but most of them have probably passed away.
I'll blame the Government for allowing that to be aired, there must be money in there somewhere FFs, I'm from Yorkshire..

I'm from Yorkshire and find that very demeaning, it denigrates our heritage and stereotypes us as a disadvantaged people with obvious wealth as portrayed by their dress, I would cancel them but most of them have probably passed away.
I'll blame the Government for allowing that to be aired, there must be money in there somewhere FFs, I'm from Yorkshire..

I used to dreeaaaam of being from Yorkshire. It would've been a palace to me :p

useless and irrelevant ... until ...
Screenshot_20240111-185536_Chrome.jpg

turn left at the 3rd sherpa.

Anybody out there who has a 2009 model outback premium 3.0L, whatever you do DO NOT decide to upgrade the front and/or rear shock absorbers.
They are Macpherson strut types, and while relatively easy to take out, replacing the self levelling shockers that are on the premium models are an absolute nightmare to take in and out of the strut assembly.
Took me two days of using dodgy spring compression tools, a ten tonne press and a lot of swearing..
I don't know what possessed me to help the bloke out.
Never again!
Mick

Anybody out there who has a 2009 model outback premium 3.0L, whatever you do DO NOT decide to upgrade the front and/or rear shock absorbers.
They are Macpherson strut types, and while relatively easy to take out, replacing the self levelling shockers that are on the premium models are an absolute nightmare to take in and out of the strut assembly.
Took me two days of using dodgy spring compression tools, a ten tonne press and a lot of swearing..
Never again!
Mick
Mick Perhaps a lesson learnt.

Never again!
Mick

Perhaps he had a $3k plus quote from his Subaru dealer/mechanic and thought you would be a friendlier touch? :)

Your story made me curious. I did a quick google search to see what the various "experts" suggested in replacing the shockers. Seemed like there were plenty of goto guys. In retrospect did this advice look right ?

Last edited:
The bloke told me he had priced the full suburu replacement struts- 1175 each from Subaru he said.
Not surprisng that he went for the insert replacements.
mick
Absolutely. "genuine" parts replacements are always first born baby prices.

My mechanical skills are effective but basic. Not zero but I don't get adventurous taking cars apart. My best value was finding a quality fair priced mechanic and going to him at every opportunity. But it was always educational talking with him about how he diagnosed and fixed problems. Certainly opened my eyes about the relative reliability of different cars and the pricing rackets with parts.

Some years ago I bought a Mitsubishi Verada wagon. It came with a sheaf of expensive repair invoices for oil leaks around the gaskets. Fred had a look at it and (I think ) identified a relatively simple issue as the problem. A stuck breather valve I think :cautious:? Car ran like a charm afterwards and no more oil leaks. He was my mechanic for 30 years until he retired.

Finding a good mechanic is rare and joyous thing.
in keeping with the

completely useless irrelevant thread​

please insert the appropriate word to suit your needs

Finding a good ..... is rare and joyous thing.

.. wife
.. husband
.. partner
.. accountant
.. dentist
.. stock tip
.. hit man
.. childcare worker
.. mother-in-law
.. taxi driver
.. coffee maker (machine or person)
.. bottle of wine
.. cheap n cheerful restaurant
.... etc

Last edited:
Finding a good mechanic is rare and joyous thing.
Mick
We have a good one up in Tilden Park ex East German bloke Funny as all hell when taking off Russians and those he doesnt like. What I like about him is if a problem arises he says so None of this I'll try this, this and this

in keeping with the

completely useless irrelevant thread​

please insert the appropriate word to suit your needs

Finding a good ..... is rare and joyous thing.

.. wife
.. husband
.. partner
.. accountant
.. dentist
.. stock tip
.. hit man
.. childcare worker
.. mother-in-law
.. taxi driver
.. coffee maker (machine or person)
.. bottle of wine
.. cheap n cheerful restaurant
.... etc
Indeed... And yes all of those categories deserves consideration.

HOWEVER... Across 50 years of car experience I have seen the havoc that is caused by poor and/or venal car mechanics. I have shared the frustration of relentless expensive repairs that just lined a dealers pockets. But most importantly I have enjoyed the ongoing confidence that my car is not going to be an unnecessary money pit.

In the same context I reckon a good builder is also a treasure. Been fortunate enough to have found that connection in the past 7 years.