Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

The completely useless irrelevant thread

Wow, I'm fully stoked. My backyard is biggish and bushy and is the habitat of a brush turkey tribe that I feed sunflower seeds and peanuts. They love peanuts in the shell. So I'm up there feeding and I spot a branch of red berries on a wild sown mulberry tree. Might as well eat a few I thought, nutrition is nutrition in the pursuit of healthspan, even if the berries aren't ripe. Then, like a stripper taking off her clothes, there emerged branches and branches with good amounts of fully ripe plump black mulberries. I harvested almost enough to set up my own roadside stall. Living off the fat if the land!

2017-05-29_14_12_27_Red_Mulberry_fruit_along_Kinross_Circle_in_the_Chantilly_Highland_section_...jpg

gettyimages-1313046926-1024x1024.jpg

Wow, I'm fully stoked. My backyard is biggish and bushy and is the habitat of a brush turkey tribe that I feed sunflower seeds and peanuts. They love peanuts in the shell. So I'm up there feeding and I spot a branch of red berries on a wild sown mulberry tree. Might as well eat a few I thought, nutrition is nutrition in the pursuit of healthspan, even if the berries aren't ripe. Then, like a stripper taking off her clothes, there emerged branches and branches with good amounts of fully ripe plump black mulberries. I harvested almost enough to set up my own roadside stall. Living off the fat if the land!

View attachment 184015

View attachment 184017
Early crop... ours have only just started to sprout leaves.

Today is Friday 13th.
Unlucky, like breaking a mirror, or walking under a ladder.
So far, for me at least, it has lived up to its name.
Was trying to get the studs of an old ford six cylinder cross flow head.
Of course one of them broke.
Normally, I just weld a couple of nuts, and the combination of a number of heat cycles and some WD40 will allow you to get them out.
Not this time,
Stud broke with most of it below the head, so kept welding nut to head as well as the old stud.
So, after about an hour of mucking around, I went to plan B and decided that I should drill the old one out and put in a helicoil.
Went ok until I got too aggressive with the drill and it broke off as well.
Now I am really knackered.
The chance of drilling out a broken hardened steel drill bit are close to zero.
Have come back inside the house to sulk for a while as I contemplate my next move.
Mick

Today is Friday 13th.
Normally, I just weld a couple of nuts, and the combination of a number of heat cycles and some WD40 will allow you to get them out.
Not this time,
Stud broke with most of it below the head, so kept welding nut to head as well as the old stud.
So, after about an hour of mucking around, I went to plan B and decided that I should drill the old one out and put in a helicoil.
Have come back inside the house to sulk for a while as I contemplate my next move.
Mick

The drill bit should come out if you rotate anti clock wise even just with a centre punch

Today is Friday 13th.
Not this time,
Mick
@mullokintyre try drilling off centre and see if a centre punch can start the rotation

@mullokintyre try drilling off centre and see if a centre punch can start the rotation
Sent it to a machine shop.
The broken drill is only a 5 mm drill and is below the surface.
The guy said he would have a go at it and it was no win no fee.
I buy him a slab of beer if he can get it out.
Its not my engine, was just helping a mate out.
Mick

Sent it to a machine shop.
The broken drill is only a 5 mm drill and is below the surface.
The guy said he would have a go at it and it was no win no fee.
I buy him a slab of beer if he can get it out.
Its not my engine, was just helping a mate out.
Mick
Sometimes it is the way to go, if they have a large milling machine, it wont be a problem.

Reminded me of when I was a young bloke putting a new clutch in my three speed Nissan Patrol in the carpark at a block of flats.
Getting the gearbox off was easy getting back in, while under the car on your back, not so easy.

Ended up wandering round the corner to the nearest garage and casually asking, " hey mate how much would it cost to put a gearbox back into a Patrol"? He said oh about $50.

1/2 an hour later myself and a couple of mates were pushing the Patrol down the road to the garage, with the gearbox and tailshafts in the back. Lol

Sometimes it is the way to go, if they have a large milling machine, it wont be a problem.

Reminded me of when I was a young bloke putting a new clutch in my three speed Nissan Patrol in the carpark at a block of flats.
Getting the gearbox off was easy getting back in, while under the car on your back, not so easy.

Ended up wandering round the corner to the nearest garage and casually asking, " hey mate how much would it cost to put a gearbox back into a Patrol"? He said oh about $50.

1/2 an hour later myself and a couple of mates were pushing the Patrol down the road to the garage, with the gearbox and tailshafts in the back. Lol
Good one I think we have all thought DIY can be the cheapest option.