Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

Rugby League

Another year, another self destruction by the Broncos

Look out Kevvie you are in the gun again
@macca
Hey mate, Dolphins 40 Broncos 6 still time on the clock. Embarrassing performance by Brisbane. Plenty of Dolphins fans at Suncorp. Another embarrassing moments with boos from the red sea of supporters over the top of Broncos supporters.

Big Wayney would be so pleased...

The hammer and Herbie Farnworth ... Brisbane and the Cowboys must be beside themselves for letting go of these players.
Well play Wayne

Kind regards
rcw1

@macca
Hey mate, Dolphins 40 Broncos 6 still time on the clock. Embarrassing performance by Brisbane. Plenty of Dolphins fans at Suncorp. Another embarrassing moments with boos from the red sea of supporters over the top of Broncos supporters.

Big Wayney would be so pleased...

The hammer and Herbie Farnworth ... Brisbane and the Cowboys must be beside themselves for letting go of these players.
Well play Wayne

Kind regards
rcw1
Yes, I think the Dolphins have been Bennies most impressive achievement in the game.

He has won premierships but before the salary cap and he had so many good players but at the Dolphins he has started from scratch and created something from nothing

St George went missing again, they were very unimpressive last week and worse this week.

They have gone from in the 8 to in trouble in 2 weeks

well well well ... the Warriors beat the Sharkies at PointsBet Stadium, Sydney what an amazing second half by the Warriors.... Shaun Johnson bows out the champion that he is. Great result if your not a Sharks supporter.

Kind regards
rcw1

A crazy weekend for the NRL, Roosters had a very bad afternoon.

They lost two top line players and the chance for second place so no champagne for them tonight but the Knights had a nice win.

The ladder will be shuffled up after all these upsets, wait and see how it all works out

Wow, I managed 3/8 this week and I stayed much the same in the tipping comp so it seems everyone struggled to find a winner

Knights v Dolphins should be the game of the round, reckon ...
Although do like the Cowboys v Dogs impending battle and Broncos V Storm and and and ...
what round of footy coming our way!!!

1725446548532.png

1725446642622.png

Knights v Dolphins should be the game of the round, reckon ...
Although do like the Cowboys v Dogs impending battle and Broncos V Storm and and and ...
what round of footy coming our way!!!

View attachment 183712
View attachment 183713

I agree on the first two games, they are super important to the clubs but I think Melbourne will be in full flight with the rested players wanting to rip in to the Broncos

I agree on the first two games, they are super important to the clubs but I think Melbourne will be in full flight with the rested players wanting to rip in to the Broncos
indeed so, Broncos will be playing for pride and some respect. Big Kevie will be demanding some effort. Be real interested in how the Broncos go with that one.

Kind regards
rcw1

embarrassing ... cricket score coming
Yes, they quit very early on............... big changes needed in the club

Matt Johns says too many egos being massaged by social media and young ladies who want selfies

Many are young men who are struggling to handle the fame thrust upon them in Brisbane

It also raises the point that Melbourne fly under the local radar because of the AFL, no local media scrutiny day after day allows them to live normal lives.

Penrith handle it well but they do have a westies against the world attitude, as do their supporters

Everybody gave big Kevie 10 outta 10 making the 2023 NRL grand final ... rcw1 had some sneaking suspicions that Kev was not the right bloke to lead the Broncos into the future and very nearly had to eat rcw1 words....

How so, well there is only so much you can say with the players "heart on sleeve" mentality... Truely you gunna run out of things to say to the playing cohort. They get sick of it... Start to lose games then confidence goes and big kevvie has run outta things to say to them to get them back on song in that zone..

Losing last years GF was a flaw in the armoury of Kevvie and the cohort. Dont care that Penrith were better ... they were not, they just wanted it more and new how to play for 80 minutes. That grand final loss was big thing to be overcome and for mine, they couldn't. This is an attitude problem a big no no .... that should have been fixed in the off season.. Big Kevvie and team Kevvie failed.

No excuses they failed big time.

Some players believed what they read in the papers and believed they were better than the game that they played and are earning a living from. This is a problem, one which is difficult to address in the sheds. No runs on the board yet, just self centered opinions. I think some the old boys have had big Kevvie's ear, but the game is much different to when they played and they had big Wayney coaching...

I also think the Rabbits got it right getting rid of Adam Reynolds. As good as Reynolds might seem ... just dunno about him being the right fit anymore.

Dunno also whether the Bronco spin doctors have done Big Kevvie any favours with that "we will make the finals" comment. Kevvie should have shut up and let the players make that statement on the footy paddock.

Anyways it remains to be seen whether Kevvie is able to recover from this; there is an attitude problem that big Wayne Bennett could fix, but not sure whether Kevvie has the dressing shed at the moment, certainly didn]t seem like it to rcw after their performance against Melbourne

Kind regards
rcw1

Yes, they quit very early on............... big changes needed in the club

Matt Johns says too many egos being massaged by social media and young ladies who want selfies

Many are young men who are struggling to handle the fame thrust upon them in Brisbane

It also raises the point that Melbourne fly under the local radar because of the AFL, no local media scrutiny day after day allows them to live normal lives.

Penrith handle it well but they do have a westies against the world attitude, as do their supporters

Not to often do you see a trainer knife the coach by talking to the media.

Burgess didn't miss the lad.

Kevin Walters and Brisbane Broncos players cop a dose of home truths from Mark Burgess​

A former Brisbane Broncos trainer has savaged Kevin Walters as a poor leader who can’t hear home truths, while also spraying the current ‘pampered’ crop of players.

Peter Badel and Travis Meyn
September 6, 2024 - 2:58PM

A former trainer to Kevin Walters and Wayne Bennett has launched a savage attack on the Broncos, accusing Brisbane players of being soft and the coach surrounding himself with ‘yes men’.
Mark ‘Chopper’ Burgess is one of Australia’s longest-serving sporting conditioners who was a staffer under Bennett during a six-year stretch in 1998-2004 that netted two premierships.

Burgess has also worked with the Queensland Reds under Brad Thorn and was part of Brisbane’s high-performance unit under Walters for one year in 2022.

Walters has overhauled his coaching staff for next season, hiring Trent Barrett from Parramatta and Ben Te’o from the Dolphins to replace England-bound John Cartwright and Lee Briers.

Burgess says he has no personal issue with Walters, but believes the Broncos coach is reluctant to hear some home truths.
“A lot of it was Kevvie having ‘yes men’,” said Burgess, who oversaw conditioning sessions with Broncos stars including Payne Haas, Adam Reynolds, Pat Carrigan and Reece Walsh, on radio station 4BC.

“So you just don’t argue with the boss

“I’ve had so many arguments with Wayne Bennett, Michael Maguire, Ricky Stuart and Steve Kearney, all great coaches. “They want to have a different perspective. They want a trainer in their crew to say, ‘Listen, that might not be right. Can we do it this way?’ “They quite enjoy that feedback and then compliment you on that kind of feedback. “Whereas with Kevvie’s crew, it was his way or the highway. “I love Kev. He’s a great bloke. He’s a terrific guy. I know his wife and his kids, but the key is leadership. “The key is this is the boss, this is what we do, they delegate when they have to ... if the Broncos don’t get some honesty, then you’re going to get the same results.”

DO SOMETHING PRODUCTIVE FOR SOCIETY

Asked if Broncos players are too pampered and need a reality check, Burgess said: “110 per cent. Get them a job. Get them studying at TAFE where I am (doing mentoring).

“Stop having them sign autographs and take selfies with fans all day, and get them out there earning their money.

“They are paid ridiculous money. Go out and earn it. Go and do some studying. Go to old people’s homes. Do some work. Go and tidy up a cemetery.

“Do something productive for society, not just collect your money.”

Burgess believes Walters is missing the leadership and front-office support of Ikin, who quit the Broncos last year to become the Queensland Rugby League CEO.

Ikin left after “creative tensions” with Walters.
“Ben Ikin, for me, he’s the greatest loss that club’s ever had,” Burgess said.

“The worst decision ever made was to let Ben Ikin go. Secondly, it would have been losing (Tom) Flegler, Herbie Farnworth and Kurt Capewell. “They need big, big changes. Massive changes. “Kevvie’s got big problems with the people around him. I don’t know that that’s very supportive for Kevvie, he hasn’t had great support.

A former trainer to Kevin Walters and Wayne Bennett has launched a savage attack on the Broncos, accusing Brisbane players of being soft and the coach surrounding himself with ‘yes men’.
Mark ‘Chopper’ Burgess is one of Australia’s longest-serving sporting conditioners who was a staffer under Bennett during a six-year stretch in 1998-2004 that netted two premierships.

Burgess has also worked with the Queensland Reds under Brad Thorn and was part of Brisbane’s high-performance unit under Walters for one year in 2022.

Walters has overhauled his coaching staff for next season, hiring Trent Barrett from Parramatta and Ben Te’o from the Dolphins to replace England-bound John Cartwright and Lee Briers.

Burgess says he has no personal issue with Walters, but believes the Broncos coach is reluctant to hear some home truths.

Former Brisbane Broncos trainer Mark Burgess
“A lot of it was Kevvie having ‘yes men’,” said Burgess, who oversaw conditioning sessions with Broncos stars including Payne Haas, Adam Reynolds, Pat Carrigan and Reece Walsh, on radio station 4BC. “So you just don’t argue with the boss “I’ve had so many arguments with Wayne Bennett, Michael Maguire, Ricky Stuart and Steve Kearney, all great coaches. “They want to have a different perspective. They want a trainer in their crew to say, ‘Listen, that might not be right. Can we do it this way?’

“They quite enjoy that feedback and then compliment you on that kind of feedback. “Whereas with Kevvie’s crew, it was his way or the highway. “I love Kev. He’s a great bloke. He’s a terrific guy. I know his wife and his kids, but the key is leadership. “The key is this is the boss, this is what we do, they delegate when they have to ... if the Broncos don’t get some honesty, then you’re going to get the same results.”

DO SOMETHING PRODUCTIVE FOR SOCIETY

Asked if Broncos players are too pampered and need a reality check, Burgess said: “110 per cent. Get them a job. Get them studying at TAFE where I am (doing mentoring).

“Stop having them sign autographs and take selfies with fans all day, and get them out there earning their money.

“They are paid ridiculous money. Go out and earn it. Go and do some studying. Go to old people’s homes. Do some work. Go and tidy up a cemetery.

“Do something productive for society, not just collect your money.”

Burgess believes Walters is missing the leadership and front-office support of Ikin, who quit the Broncos last year to become the Queensland Rugby League CEO.

Ikin left after “creative tensions” with Walters. “Ben Ikin, for me, he’s the greatest loss that club’s ever had,” Burgess said. “The worst decision ever made was to let Ben Ikin go. Secondly, it would have been losing (Tom) Flegler, Herbie Farnworth and Kurt Capewell. “They need big, big changes. Massive changes.

“Kevvie’s got big problems with the people around him. I don’t know that that’s very supportive for Kevvie, he hasn’t had great support. “Review what happened in the last two weeks and make decisions off that. “The issue is, will the Broncos do it? Are they a protected species? Will they continue to lose? “They haven’t won anything since 2006. “You’ve got to be trained for greatness. The Broncos are a great club ... they need to get back on that pedestal.”

GYM LOOKS MORE LIKE A HAIRDRESSING SALON

“I would hate to be a Broncos supporter today. They are being let down,” said Burgess. “It’s not how a rugby league team should run. “Two biggest things that shocked me ... one, there were way too many mirrors in the gym and two, you weren’t allowed to sweat, and if you did, you carried a towel with you. “This palatial gymnasium they have looks more like a hairdressing salon. “First and foremost, it was the number of staff they had. “In 2000, it was Wayne Bennett, Craig (Bellamy), Dan Baker, probably the best weights coach ever, two physios, myself and Chris Haseman the wrestling coach and we were winning premierships. “Wayne Bennett won many titles in a rusted old gym beside the bowls club. “I walked into the Broncos in 2022 and there’s a trainer per player doing something that justified their existence and position there.

“I asked that quite regularly (the club having excessive staff) and was mowed down for my comments.

“It was a bit of a power trip for a lot of their staff.

“In the last two weeks, the Broncos have leaked (90) points.

“One of Wayne’s classic lines at any (pre-season) camp or program is, defence is about attitude.

“The Broncos have let (90) points leak in the last two weeks ... how do you reckon the players’ attitude is?

“What you have in your heart goes onto the ground. That’s what I tried to drive, ‘Train hard, fight easy’, and Bennett loved it.

“They have this high-performance centre worth millions and millions of dollars, it’s the benchmark in the competition ... clearly it’s not showing on the field.”

They have such high expectations at the Broncos it really is a hot seat job.

Good luck Kevvie, I think you are going to need it

Beloved Cowboys blowing the Dogs off the park... Cowboys 20 Bulldogs yet to score as they go to the sheds at half time.. another 40 minutes to go... probably this first half the best witnessed Cowboys play this year.... they need to bring it into the 2nd half.

Kind regards
rcw1

Beloved Cowboys blowing the Dogs off the park... Cowboys 20 Bulldogs yet to score as they go to the sheds at half time.. another 40 minutes to go... probably this first half the best witnessed Cowboys play this year.... they need to bring it into the 2nd half.

Kind regards
rcw1
I hope they realise there is another 40 minutes to go, Not like St George !!