Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

John McCain

Those odds are infact a bit tighter than I thought with the Democrats getting so much campaign publicity. Interesting to see if they change a bit next week when Hillary wins on the 13th. McCain looks in a very good position here with the events in the war zones likely to flare up - getting out of Iraq could be difficult.
you must like betting on outsiders is all I can say ;)
If the papers in her home state come out with the headlines "(Hillary is) TOAST" - to say nothing of the fact that her campaign is dead broke - you'd have to be on something pretty strong to think she can win from here (imo).

McCain? - do you trust him?

PS Here's another betting website:-
http://www.iasbet.com/Sport/BetType...titionId=19531&BetTypeId=979&FutureFlag=False

Democratic Party 1.53
Republican Party 2.50

http://www.easyodds.com/compareodds/specials/Politics/m/51363-234-3.html

PS Democratic Candidate :-
Obama 1/12 = $1.083
Hillary 7/1 = $8.00

http://www.easyodds.com/compareodds/specials/Politics/m/110922-234-3.html

Attachments

• summary.jpg
    summary.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 134
It would be interesting to know who the terrorists would love as President? Probably Obama first and Clinton second, there lies the answer maybe. Tough President or wimp?

I just thought I'd remind all posters that honest John is going to be the next president of the USA.

All these posts about Obama, shocking, you are being force fed a media myth.

gg

Honest John? Seems he's susceptible to lobbyists.

Obama doesn't have this problem as he has none.
His financial backers are millions of individual supporters donating $25 or so.
Not a media myth. ;)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...ewsletter&wpisrc=newsletter&wpisrc=newsletter

Friday, May 9, 2008; Page A01

McCain Pushed Land Swap That Benefits Backer

As McCain positions himself as a champion of environmental causes, observers of the Yavapai Ranch swap say it shows a paradox in the senator's positions. At times, he has fought to protect the delicate desert ecosystem. But when wildlife concerns have thwarted development, his loyalties have shifted.

Ruskin (the ranch owner)... said he realized he needed to hire lobbyists "to open communications with McCain's office."

He turned to some of McCain's closest former advisers. In 2002, he sought out Mark Buse, McCain's former staff director at the Senate commerce committee, which the senator chaired.

"I had gone to him to see if he had any advice as to how to deal with McCain," Ruskin said. "We had a couple of meetings and I paid him a little bit." Buse's federal lobbying records do not list the ranch as a client.

...When McCain's legislation passed in November 2005, the ranch owner gave the job of building as many as 12,000 homes to SunCor Development, a firm in Tempe, Ariz., run by Steven A. Betts, a longtime McCain supporter who has raised more than $100,000 for the presumptive Republican nominee.

... As for McCain, some in the Verde Valley say they counted on him to broker a deal that would protect their precious river. Von Gausig now heads the water management commission that McCain added to the bill to gain community support. The Congressional Budget Office estimated it would cost $8 million over five years to fund water studies. But to date, none of that money has been budgeted.

It would be interesting to know who the terrorists would love as President? Probably Obama first and Clinton second, there lies the answer maybe. Tough President or wimp?
noi, that is a seriously tainted post - any evidence.?.

lemme guess,
you think there are fewer terrorists now than when GW Bush came on the scene ? :eek:

PS or since we invaded Iraq etc :(

As for the tough president or wimp comment - o boy - lol - we are talking cold war bs now.

Ever notice that when a (tough) someone pushes or pulls another, their reaction is to pull or push to escape the onslaught?

Even want to 'obliterate' in retaliation! ;)

Put out your hand and it is very hard for another not to offer their own and shake yours!

Remember the story of 'The Wind Versus The Sun'? The wind was 'tough' and called the sun 'a wimp'. He challenged the sun to 'get the coat off that man down there'. He huffed and puffed and tore at the man's jacket but the harder he blew, the more the man clung to his coat. Finally, the wind gave up and scoffed that it was an impossible task! The sun shone brightly on the man who felt warm and comfortable... and took off his coat.

Sure... terrorists are psychologically disparate to your normal man with grievances.

Possibly it is an impossible task but at least if their grievances are heard and acknowledged, there is a glimmer of hope.
Conversation worked in Kenya...

Ever notice that when a (tough) someone pushes or pulls another, their reaction is to pull or push to escape the onslaught?

Even want to 'obliterate' in retaliation! ;)

Put out your hand and it is very hard for another not to offer their own and shake yours!

Remember the story of 'The Wind Versus The Sun'? The wind was 'tough' and called the sun 'a wimp'. He challenged the sun to 'get the coat off that man down there'. He huffed and puffed and tore at the man's jacket but the harder he blew, the more the man clung to his coat. Finally, the wind gave up and scoffed that it was an impossible task! The sun shone brightly on the man who felt warm and comfortable... and took off his coat.

Sure... terrorists are psychologically disparate to your normal man with grievances.

Possibly it is an impossible task but at least if their grievances are heard and acknowledged, there is a glimmer of hope.
Nice parable, Doris. Would be good to think it could happen.

Remember the story of 'The Wind Versus The Sun'?

Doris, these days there's a sequel ...
"and so man took off his coats, rolled up his sleeves, and turned the sun and the wind into clean energy sources ....."
Kenya? - yes we ken! :cool:
(apologies for the trivial nature of this post - won't happen again - till the next time).

Nice parable, Doris. Would be good to think it could happen.

Aaah... 'The Audacity of Hope!' ;)

Doris, these days there's a sequel ...
"and so man took off his coats, rolled up his sleeves, and turned the sun and the wind into clean energy sources ....."
Kenya? - yes we ken! :cool:
(apologies for the trivial nature of this post - won't happen again - till the next time).

I needed a smile 2020! ... (don't do Mondays well...)

If Joe gives awards for the brightest light on here, you have my vote! :cool:

Obama's team is considering McCain's team's proposal for "a series of town hall debates" as well as "the usual schedule of three televised debates for a presidential election".

Now that will be an interesting sequel!

noi, that is a seriously tainted post - any evidence.?. lemme guess, ...you think there are fewer terrorists now than when GW Bush came on the scene ? or since we invaded Iraq etc :(

Noi , I’ve now challenged you twice on this, but I notice you choose not to reply.

See, I would totally disagree. I would maintain the AQ terrorists have seriously thrived under Bush. He has played into their hands like a complete Manchurian Candidate (see two quotes below)

so these bomb scares, - would they be by Moslim terrorists maybe? - or redneck terrorists? or racist terrorists? etc etc :eek:

Couldn't be Moslim terrorists, because according to noirua, they want him to win ;)
(post #44 on the John McCain thread) :2twocents

and couldn't be the mafia, because according to sydneysider, he's "their sleeper"

Firstly, Without even having to draw on your combined assumptions of the attitude of the Moslim terrorists or the mafia , I would reckon without doubt that those threats were from the redneck and/or racist terrorists.

Just watching Enough Rope – and hearing about Leunig getting death threats because he is anti the Iraq war - sheesh :eek:

Back to that Manchurian Candidate theory – here’s an old post from another thread ..
https://www.aussiestockforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=171298&highlight=manchurian#post171298

This website compares GWBush with "the Manchurian Candidate"
http://hnn.us/articles/32618.html by Mr. Buzzanco, Professor of History, University of Houston, is the author of several books and articles on Vietnam War

If enemies of the United States had gotten together a few years ago to devise a plan to damage America and undermine its global position–diminish its power and credibility, drag it into a stubborn war, harm its relations with allies, create international financial disarray, run up huge deficits, create political openings for the Europeans and China to exploit and become equals in global economic matters, motivate terrorists, bring the U.S. image in the Middle East to its nadir, restrict civil liberties at home, and so forth– they would have been hard-pressed to create a program that would be more effective than the Bush administration’s policies on these issues of war, terrorism, and global economics have.

Indeed, if one is an “enemy” of the U.S., then he/she would have to be heartened that Bush has pursued this agenda and would have to be elated that the war in Iraq continues today. Given enough rope, Bush may hang not only himself, but American influence and credibility, and the global economy. Like a “sleeper” agent, or Laurence Harvey’s famed character, Sgt. Raymond Shaw, in The Manchurian Candidate, George W. Bush, the ultimate insider, is doing more to damage America than Osama bin Laden, Saddam Hussein, Hassan Nasrallah, the Syrians, the Iranians, or any other enemy du jour, ever could.

In the immediate aftermath of 9/11 the United States had the sympathy and respect of much of the world. The outpouring of goodwill was unprecedented in the post-Vietnam period, and the United States stood alone as a military and economic power. When Bush responded to the September attacks a month later with the invasion of Afghanistan, where al Qaeda leaders were hiding out, the world community and U.S. populace supported him.

But, beginning in mid-2002, when he returned to his obsession with Iraq, the worm began to turn. Using politicized intelligence and outright lies, the Bush administration, congress and the media all went along with the invasion of Iraq, beginning in March 2003. Consequently, in what we can now see was a remarkably short time, the amity and power accrued after 9/11 melted away... etc

http://bigpicture.typepad.com/comments/2005/10/manchurian_cand.html
As one astute American conservative commentator has already observed, President Bush has morphed into the Manchurian Candidate, behaving as if placed among Americans by their enemies to do them damage.

Hi 2020 (ref post 50), thou throwest down thee gauntlet. I have picked it up! Throw down the other one and i'll have a pair - good luck - noi
PS Will reply very shortly, however, you did kindly answer the question in post 44.

Hi 2020, thou throwest down thee gauntlet. I have picked it up! Throw down the other one and i'll have a pair - good luck - noi
PS Will reply very shortly

See I ask are you gonna post an “oops” after predicting Hilary would win in North Carolina. - when she was whipped ( Obama 56% - Clinton 42%)

I posted “so I guess an oops is unlikely then”
That post was deleted !! :confused:

Meanwhile , you post this little classic, which causes not the slightest raise of anyone's eyebrow :-

It would be interesting to know who the terrorists would love as President? Probably Obama first...? .. wimp etc

I find the rules around here quite weird :2twocents

See I ask are you gonna post an “oops” after predicting Hilary would win in North Carolina. - when she was whipped ( Obama 56% - Clinton 42%)

I posted “so I guess an oops is unlikely then”
That post was deleted !! :confused:

Meanwhile , you post this little classic, which causes not the slightest raise of anyone's eyebrow :-

I find the rules around here quite weird :2twocents

Hi 2020, sadly, I'm not able to reply to a post that was deleted and as I have not checked thoroughly, I don't know if any of mine have. It may have something to do with how seriously we take our posts to be on this particular thread. As Hillary said to a British journalist, who put forward an adversely critical point "You can't vote!".

Anyway, on the matter of terrorists it is a case of what point of view you agree with: George W Bush has been responsible for killing a lot of terrorists and therefore there are less now, or, he has agravated a lot of people and created a lot more terrorists.

As far as the contestants in the election are concerned, Barack Obama has set his footprint in the sand as far as withdrawing from Iraq is concerned. Even more so than Hillary Clinton. Therefore, imho, the terrorists in Iraq (by the way, i did not mention religion, if you check my post) would like a USA President who would withdraw from Iraq the quickest.

I respect your point of view, even if I do not agree with it - noi

Therefore, imho, the terrorists in Iraq (by the way, i did not mention religion, if you check my post) would like a USA President who would withdraw from Iraq the quickest.
As far as the terrorists in Iraq (and there weren't any there until we invaded - but moving on) , depends on how myopic one chooses to be. We can go on fighting them for centuries, or we can try to sort out the problems. Not that it's gonna be easy.

As for the racial terrorists in USA, they'd probably like McCain over Obama for sure, and a few bomb threats would be well within their capabilities.

As far as the terrorists in Iraq (and there weren't any there until we invaded - but moving on) , depends on how myopic one chooses to be. We can go on fighting them for centuries, or we can try to sort out the problems. Not that it's gonna be easy.

As for the racial terrorists in USA, they'd probably like McCain over Obama for sure, and a few bomb threats would be well within their capabilities.

ps Maybe the terrorists would like most someone like McCain who would invade Iran.

- he didn't graduate 894th out of his class of 899 (Naval Academy in 1958) for nothing you know. :rolleyes:

"I can't vote"
sure.
I can't vote for or against Mugabe either. Doesn't stop me having an opinion though. I assume it's ok to have an opinion?
Review your posts on this forum. Clearly, that is indeed the case.

What is a matter of interest however, is your need to reply to my non-specific comment as if it were specifically directed at you. I wonder what Junge would make of that? :cool:

... What is a matter of interest however, is your need to reply to my non-specific comment as if it were specifically directed at you. I wonder what Junge would make of that? :cool:
just posting on behalf of the many posters who have contributed to the discussion on the many threads about US politics around here - despite the fact we can't vote (including you I guess) ;)

Incidentally US politics is arguably (surely?) more important than Zimbabwe - given the way we follow them from warzone to warzone these days. :2twocents