Australian (ASX) Stock Market Forum

John McCain

Sarah Palin -A strong Republican reformer, who took on Alaska's corrupt Republican establishment:

From Wikipedia:

2002 Election
In 2002, Palin made an unsuccessful bid for Lieutenant Governor, coming in second to Loren Leman in a five-way race in the Republican primary. After Frank Murkowski resigned from his long-held U.S. Senate seat in mid-term to become governor, he considered Palin as a possible successor.[16] Murkowski appointed his daughter, then-Alaska State Representative Lisa Murkowski.[3]

Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission
Governor Murkowski appointed Palin Ethics Commissioner of the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission,[17] where she served from 2003 to 2004 until resigning in protest over what she called the "lack of ethics" of fellow Alaskan Republican leaders, who ignored her whistleblowing complaints of legal violations and conflicts of interest.[18][3] After she resigned, she exposed the state Republican Party's chairman, Randy Ruedrich, one of her fellow Oil & Gas commissioners, who was accused of doing work for the party on public time, and supplying a lobbyist with a sensitive e-mail.[19] Palin filed formal complaints against both Ruedrich and former Alaska Attorney General Gregg Renkes, who both resigned; Ruedrich paid a record $12,000 fine.[3]

Governorship
Running on a clean-government campaign in 2006, Palin upset then-Governor Murkowski in the Republican gubernatorial primary.[3] In August, she declared that education, public safety, and transportation would be three cornerstones of her administration.[20] Despite being outspent by her Democratic opponent, she won the gubernatorial election in November, defeating former Governor Tony Knowles 48.3% to 40.9%.[3]

Palin became Alaska's first woman governor and, at 42, the youngest in Alaskan history. Palin was also the first Alaskan governor born after Alaska achieved U.S. statehood and the first not to be inaugurated in Juneau, instead choosing to hold her inauguration ceremony in Fairbanks. She took office on December 4, 2006.

Palin initially expressed support for the Gravina Island Bridge project,[21] commonly known outside the state as the "Bridge to Nowhere." However, once it had become a nationwide symbol of wasteful earmark spending and federal funding was lost, Palin decided against filling the $320 million gap with state money.[22][23] Alaska needs to be self-sufficient, she says, instead of relying heavily on "federal dollars," as the state does today.[24]

She has challenged the state's Republican leaders, helping to launch a campaign by Lieutenant Governor Sean Parnell to unseat U.S. Congressman Don Young[25] and publicly challenging Senator Ted Stevens to come clean about the federal investigation into his financial dealings.[22]

Palin frequently had an approval rating above 90% in 2007.[24] A poll published by Hays Research on July 28, 2008 showed Palin's approval rating at 80%,[26] while another Ivan Moore poll showed it at 76%, a drop which the pollsters attributed to the controversial firing of Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan.

Great bio, strong woman - definitely a good choice for John McCain

I was more intrigued by his body language when she started bagging out big oil. :cautious:
You could bet she and her opinion won't get a look in on that one .. (should GOP get in).

Probably something like Midnight Oil's ex-lead singer this week signing up for expansion of uranium mining (Beverley uranium mine in SA) :) A year or two is a long time in politics as they say..

http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2008/s2349578.htm

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/08/28/2349517.htm

It would seem the GOP machine chose Palin - as McCain had only met her twice... reaffirming he is a puppet?

It will be interesting to see if the remnants of the pantsuit brigade will now still vote for McCain!

Some comments on WSJ blog:

Sarah Palin, like McCain, will oppose equal-pay for equal-work for women. Like McCain she wants to privatize Social Security so Wall St. Brokers will get commissions to manage and lose our retirement money. Look at the stock of Morgan-Stanley, Merrill-Lynch, Lehman Brothers, all other brokerages, etc. all losing their shareholders and pension funds billions in the sub-prime mortgage scandal this year. Our hard-working retirees could lose their savings and end up becoming homeless street people.

This choice of VP was made based on defense. They have been in defense mode for so long (trying to counter Obama’s success), I’m not surprised that this major decision was made considering what the Dems are doing more so than what the Republican base really wants. McCain cannot win for Republicans by trying to court liberal Hillary supporters. The choice of Palin is an insult to those women. The women who supported Hillary did so because of her unique qualities, not just because she is a female. This is not a “any woman will do” situation. He could have at least picked someone with sufficient experience like Kay Bailey. Add to that McCain’s camp saying that Obama lacks experience…um…there goes that. AND, he’d only met Palin 2 times prior to today. Sad!

Seriously? Beyond the fact that this blog is clearly suffering from a conservative bias, the comments I’m reading here from the conservatives are making no sense. Palin was chosen because she is a woman. A TOKEN woman. I’m a citizen of the UK, and I don’t get to vote, nor do I have a preference. Or at least, I didn’t until this. If McCain and the Republican party think that by merely nominating a woman they will attract the former Clinton supporters who feel snubbed, they are relying on a down and dirty tactic with no regard for what America needs, which is someone who ISN’T Republican. Your nation needs a Winston Churchill. That person is Obama. Get your heads outta your asses and stop using fear to control your people. Submit to reason and rationale, and elect Obama.

Ok, the boss says we are supposed to be nice.

I retract all the nasty things I said about Sarah Palin.

But MCCAIN’s Judgement is impaired. He also looked at Mrs. Palin with elevator eyes while playing with his wedding ring.

I am a Canadian who has been following this election for the past year. Of all the other well known experienced choices McCain had, today’s announcement has me floored. I watched in disbelief as this woman from Alaska joined Senator McCain on stage. I listened to what she had to say, but when she brought up Hillary Clinton, all I could think was “BAD MOVE”. No one, I repeat, no one, can compare themselves to Senator Clinton. I understand the McCain camp is trying to send a message to the Hillary supporters who are still disappointed, however, I’m sure that those women are much smarter than that. Women didn’t flock to Hilary ONLY because she’s a woman and the insinuation that any woman will do is downright insulting. This is one case where a rose by any other name will not smell as sweet.

McCain should have picked Geena Davis she at least has experience acting as our President.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2008/08/29/obama-campaign-attacks-and-backtracks-on-palin/

It would seem the GOP machine chose Palin - as McCain had only met her twice... reaffirming he is a puppet?

It will be interesting to see if the remnants of the pantsuit brigade will now still vote for McCain!

Some comments on WSJ blog:

Ha Ha - McCain a GOP puppet - that is VERY funny.

You truly know nothing of McCain and his fights with the GOP over the last seven years.

The GOP Machine wanted Mitt Romney plain and simple.

McCain a Puppet? Funny one.

Calliope you are looking at all sides but understand 2020 started this thread and thus he has his values and opinions.
I read on McCain and really try to be impartial but the whole picture I see is always confirmed.

If I got off my chair on the right side, you would see me move to the left. It's natural.
Both are correct from our vantage point.

2020 seems always to be objective to support his stances. His research is indeed extraordinary.

OK. 2020 owns the game and everybody has to play by his rules. He will answer to no one. Yes his research is extraordinary. Extraordinarily biased to the left.

Doris, the lesser educated males in USA are saying they prefer McCain to Obama.

So what do GOP do, lol - choose a pinup girl - just to make sure of their allegiance. ;)

PS certainly sounds like the Republicans choose their VPs like they choose their pastors Hagee and Falwell
https://www.aussiestockforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=293794

- who cares if it has any depth to it – sounds good according to the political tacticians :2twocents

2020 unbiased research???
Give me a break!
Julia
I’ve invited you to listen to a few youtubes over the months – To the best of my knowledge you haven’t listened to any of them – and/or refused to do so. Even when I do a transcript of them, you refuse to read it ;).

...sounds like the Republicans choose their VPs like they choose their pastors Hagee and Falwell.
.... opportunism that backfired ...
https://www.aussiestockforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=293794

Hagee on the absolute human disaster - grossly and disgracefully mismanaged - that was Katrina - he blames gay rights offending the old testament :(

PS Unlike Reverend Wright with Obama, Hagee stood on the same electoral platform in support of McCain - at McCain's suggestion :eek:

Attachments

• hagee1.jpg
    hagee1.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 76
  • hagee4.jpg
    hagee4.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 72
OK. 2020 owns the game and everybody has to play by his rules. He will answer to no one. Yes his research is extraordinary. Extraordinarily biased to the left.

C'mon. We are discussing issues.

I have been astounded at times when abuse has been pitted at 2020 and he has rebounded with objective responses. He discusses issues and unlike McCain, does not stoop to eye-for-an-eye character denigrations. Breathe in.

I often wonder where people have sourced the info for their opinions to enable personal analysis.

Albeit there can be a plethora of quotes that demand onerous time to masticate let alone digest (myself included!), but valuable information is more often than not, forthcoming, to edify us to enable opinions to be made.

If we do not have access to others' research, by default, we won't care.

Obama said Mr. McCain was out of touch with the problems of everyday Americans. “It’s not because John McCain doesn’t care,” he said. “It’s because John McCain doesn’t get it.”

Hey - I don't own anything, certainly not this thread.
Guess I found it interesting (on the Obama thread) that Wayne had such strong opinions of McCain, (he's duplicitious etc) and I thought I'd start a thread on him and do some research.

If you read the first few posts on this thread, I conclude from preliminary evidence that he "doesn't appear to be a hypocrite" and maybe he's "a rough diamond". However then I found evidence of said duplicity in his dealings with MIA /POW matters.

The wife who waited for him whilst he was in Vietnam - who was previously married to one of his classmates in the first place - was ditched in favour of a rich lady 17 years his junior.

Quite up to skirting the rules to spend on the military, against the then president's wishes

Then I found him using the fact that he was a POW to somehow try to spin his way out of charges of corruption in the Keating Five fiasco. :eek: Seriously smelly logic.

Then his utter hypocrisy in recently approaching lunatic religious icons to try to win back the ground that cost him the 2000 republican nomination against GWB

The more I researched the less I liked him.. "nuff said" as Wayne would say...

As for left or right - I'm a swinging voter. I've voted right much more often than I've voted left and/or green. :2twocents

https://www.aussiestockforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=242534&highlight=mccain#post242534

https://www.aussiestockforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=258893&highlight=mccain#post258893

wayneL on McCain said:
a/ He's duplicitous in internal matters.
b/ He's a foreign affairs hawk, a jingo.
'nuff said!.

Sarah Palin...Running mate. Nice choice! This is enough to secure my vote for John McCain.

Do you have any reasons you dare... I mean, care to share? :confused:

Do you agree with 2020 that the yobbos... I mean, rednecks will rejoice? ;)

Calliope, I didn't mean to infer that 2020 owns the game, but rather, he has an inherent responsibility to push his barrow.

Your remarks have been kind and thoughtful allowing others to explain their views and it's a challenge now to consolidate in stating facts and opinions as you view them to countercharge. I'm addicted to this forum because people here think and voice opinions. I would never have dreamed Wayneepoo would have had a deep meaningful side after initially reading his belligerent stirrings. We all win.

I'm sorry 2020 that I have been critical of your opinions. I now realise that I have been taking you too seriously and I have been blind to your entertainment value. I can now lean back and have a good laugh at your pontifications on American politics.

2020 unbiased research??? Give me a break!

Well said, Julia. Utterly predictable with interminable servings of cut and paste...

Calliope, Julia, and Pronto (and ZZDad I spose, although he's already answered that he believes that LH Oswald acted alone)

off topic to some extent , except that we were straying into the realms of what "the USA" and/or CIA etc are/ were capable of manipulating (including Georgia maybe?)...

what do you think of the JFK assassination - did LH Oswald act alone in your opinion(s)?.

before you answer, you might like to watch that first youtube on post #179, which ZZdad obviously hasn't, and calliope calls "a nutty conspiracy theory".

Here's the transcript btw :-

Pronto, as for cut and pasting, you'll be pleased to know that, like the other transcript of the youtube of McCain's amendment to the MIA/POW information bill (critical to understanding the man imo) - that I haven't cut and pasted - I've taken the time to type it from first principles ;)

I warn you this makes gruesome reading ... :(

James Files said:
…. When they started proceeding down Elm St, shots started being fired from behind , and I assumed that it was Mr Nicoleti, because he was the one that was in the building , and I knew that Johnny Roselli was there , and …

I remember the shots ringing out , and even though the President was being hit with the rounds, I was considering it a miss because I knew that we were going for a head shot on the president. And I’d known he had been hit in the body, but I didn’t know what part at that time, and I seen the body lurch, and I saw the body lurch again – I heard another shot that missed we were supposed to hit noone but Connolly, - I mean noone but Mr Kennedy, and I discovered that Connolly got hit with one of the rounds at that point, and I wasn’t even sure of that because I was keeping Kennedy as best as I could in the scope on the fireball,

and when I got to the point where I thought it would be the last field of fire, I zeroed in to the left side of the head there because, if I’d waited any longer, then Jacqueline Kennedy would have been in the line of fire – and I’d been instructed for nothing to happen to her,

and at that moment I figured this is my last chance for a shot and he still had not been hit in the head

so as I fired that round, Mr Nicoleti and I fired approximately at the same time, then as the head started forward, then it went backward

and I would have to say that his shell struck approximately 1/1000th of a second ahead of mine maybe, which started to push the head forward – which caused me to miss the left eye, and I came in on the left side of the temple

Calliope, I didn't mean to infer that 2020 owns the game, but rather, he has an inherent responsibility to push his barrow.

Your remarks have been kind and thoughtful allowing others to explain their views and it's a challenge now to consolidate in stating facts and opinions as you view them to countercharge. I'm addicted to this forum because people here think and voice opinions. I would never have dreamed Wayneepoo would have had a deep meaningful side after initially reading his belligerent stirrings. We all win.

Doris you are being too kind. Only you could find a deep, meaningful side to Wayne. As for 2020 I won't poke any more sticks at him. It is not much fun.

Doris, you were saying that McCain has only met Palin twice.
Reminds me of my Indian (Hindi) friend who was married under an "arranged marriage" - met her twice as well - once 12 months before the wedding when they shook hands, and once 5 minutes before the wedding when they said " I do" . lol

Ahh you gotta laugh. :2twocents

Countdown: Who Is Sarah Palin? 8/29/08

she is "pro taking polar bears off the endangered species"
doesn't believe that global warming is man-made

Both McCain's wife and running mate are ex-beauty pageant ladies :2twocents

5m20s
"she 's a bit of a dan quayle choice, a bit of a LOL choice" :2twocents

I'm addicted to this forum because people here think and voice opinions. I would never have dreamed Wayneepoo would have had a deep meaningful side after initially reading his belligerent stirrings. We all win.

Hey! You're going to ruin my reputation! :eek:

Seems she couldn't do much for the Exxon Valdez oil-spill victims - only paid a percentage of what they were initially supposed to receive etc
Supreme court reducing the punitive damages etc

but "We'll make sure it doesn't happen again" (hope she's right)

Governor Sarah Palin's reaction to Exxon Valdez decision

This bloke is fairly amusing , admits he doesn't know how to pronounce "Palin" ;)
Sarah Palin: An Introduction